Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Water Leak - Passenger Side Footwell

Vehicles
      Audi RS4, VW Touareg, Porsche 993
      11-14-2008 11:04 AM #1
      Wife went to take the R32 this morning and comes back inside to tell me the passenger side footwell is flooded. Nothing else appears to be wet and this is the first time it happened. It is just water, no smell to it, nothing else appears to be wet including the upper part of the footwell, dash, doors or headliner. It did poor rain all day yesterday.

So I have taken a shop vac and gotten dried it out. Did a search and it would possible seem like some tubes running down from the sunroof are possibly clogged? I opened up the sunroof which appears very clean. Where exactly are these tubes and how do I go about unclogging them? If anybody thinks this is not the issue and has other ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Vehicles
      TR R32T, Surly 1x1 Fixed
      11-14-2008 11:19 AM #2
      The drain tube is located in the door jam. It is a little black hose with a nipple that may need to be trimmed.

Here is a thread with a little more info: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3645992

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 DBP R32, 2003 Jetta Wolfsburg RS
      11-14-2008 11:22 AM #3
      Hi:

Here is the link to "Bill's R32 Page" http://www.billswebspace.com/vwr32.htm
      , and at the bottom of the page look for the link to "MKIV Sunroof Drain Maintenance by VW Vortex's VgRt6 (.pdf)"

This will help you out checking the drains for the sunroof.

I hope this info helps.

Best,

Takeo

Modified by R32_Man at 8:24 AM 11-14-2008

Vehicles
      11-14-2008 12:24 PM #4
      Thanks everyone. I pinched the hose lines and a little bit of gunk and water came out. I think I will go ahead and trim them just in case. Now does everyone agree this was probably it even though my headliner and everything else in the car was completely dry?

5. 11-14-2008 12:35 PM #5
      take the front wheel liners out you will find a very big VW design flaw.. there is a space near the door hinge where rocks and dirt collect...mine was 3-4 inches deep.

11-14-2008 12:36 PM #6
      There is a nipple to the left of the pollen filter housing.

Check and see if that has not been damaged by a rodent, cuz if that
      is open, then water can flow right down the pass side inside firewall.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-14-2008 01:32 PM #7
      Check the drains for the rain water tray near the wipers. If that can't drain, the water eventually ends up going in to the HVAC system.
      "Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

Vehicles
      11-14-2008 01:38 PM #8
      Checked the nipple by the poller filter and it looks good and yes I made sure the drains by the wipers are clear. They actually looked fine to begin with . Thanks.

Vehicles
      2011 Lotus Elise/2011 Mazda Miata/2005 Mini Cooper S/2012 Jeep Rubicon
      11-14-2008 06:48 PM #9
      I don't know if I had two defective MKIVs or not, but if I parked my cars (GLi and R32) on anything but flat surfaces and it rained hard enough, water would drip into the car around where the mirrors bolt to the doors. The drip was small enough to not be easily noticed but could soak the footwell if left for the day. I usually parked under cover or on flat lots so it didn't bother me enough to tear the car apart but happened a few times in each car.

Even if the sunroof drains look good, you may want to try blowing them out with compressed air to make sure they are clear.

Modified by wrh3 at 6:50 PM 11-14-2008

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-14-2008 10:05 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by tynuskt »
      Checked the nipple by the poller filter and it looks good and yes I made sure the drains by the wipers are clear. They actually looked fine to begin with . Thanks.

You can pour a big container of water into the tray on both sides & it should run down the drains.

"Being in space was great, I had plenty of time to rub one out, which in space is great, but after a while it's like living in a snow globe" -Peter Griffin
      "You could whore yourself out to 1,000 fat chicks for $50 apiece. Or 50 really fat chicks for $1,000. What? Don't look at me like that. Fat chicks need love too. But, they got to pay." -Glenn Quagmire

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      11-14-2008 10:10 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by wrh3 »

Even if the sunroof drains look good, you may want to try blowing them out with compressed air to make sure they are clear.

Modified by wrh3 at 6:50 PM 11-14-2008

The problem with the factory drain tubes is that they go oval from baking in the sun. Smash had pictures up a while back. They don't have much contact at that point, & if you blow air in to them they might dislodge. The dealership did that to mine, making me go back again to have them fix the mess they created. The VW dealership fix was to epoxy the tubes to the nipples on the drain tray. VW came up with a modified replacement part recently. That info is in Smash's thread also.

Vehicles
      11-15-2008 07:46 AM #12
      Just an update. It poured down rain here last night and I checked the car this morning and everything is dry.

13. 03-29-2009 01:47 PM #13
      There is a nipple to the left of the pollen filter housing

any more info on this???????????

Mine is covered in undercoating rubber type stuff.

My car has been in twice for a leak in that same area...pass side inside firewall

all drain tubes are fine...

picts to follow...

JD

14. 03-30-2009 12:28 AM #14
      bump for help.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 jetta gl, (sold) R32
      03-30-2009 12:06 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by docs_r32 »
      There is a nipple to the left of the pollen filter housing

any more info on this???????????

Mine is covered in undercoating rubber type stuff.

My car has been in twice for a leak in that same area...pass side inside firewall

all drain tubes are fine...

picts to follow...

JD

I actually still have this problem in my blue R32. (the twin-turbo) Can't figure out where the water's coming from but we think it's the A/C drain being blocked by the turbos' heat-shield or something.

16. 03-30-2009 12:34 PM #16

great image of where I think the water is flowing...at one of these points it's leaking through the firewall.

here is the other side where the water comes out...

17. 03-30-2009 03:08 PM #17
      My R has this problem. Just ordered a new rain tray and pollen filter access cover. The PO butchered them for some reason. Hopefully that will help.

Also, I had at least 3 inches of gunk behind my fender liner as well. Didn't solve my leak. My leak is coming from higher up somewhere. I think its gettin into the HVAC system. When I blow defrost, it promply moisturizes the interior of the car.

18. 03-30-2009 03:45 PM #18
      how much were the parts ?
      can you take some picts with the rain trey off and such ? It will help others in the future. Mine is going back into the shop on thursday.

19. 03-30-2009 06:21 PM #19
      Local dealer gave a little break on the parts. Totalled just under $100 for the rain tray and the pollen filter access cover. I would have used Underground VW, but rain tray would have been pricey to ship and easily damaged.

I'll snap some pics (it's not going to happen for a little bit, this weekend is full).

Are R's more susceptible to this leak, or what? I never had an issue with my GTI, of course, I bought it new...