Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2001 Eurovan Alignment group info....

1. 11-14-2008 10:14 PM #1
      I have a 2001 gls that I took in get aligned when I got new tires. The mechanic doing the alignment showed me the options on his specifying program that had different groups with different load possibilities in each group. Each of these offered different specs to align to. I had no idea what this was (neither did the mechanic or the dealer we called) - so no alignment was done. I think it is listed on the paper on the underside of the dash - the group number being listed after an L or K.
      I have searched here and other places but have found nothing. I would rather not give the dealer the $200 they want to align it, but without knowing more I may have to.
      Anyone have any info?
      Thanks!

2. 11-14-2008 10:41 PM #2
      You are correct in that the VIN or build label under the dash (fuse box area) has the "Alignment Group" listed on it. If your 2001 GLS label is similar to that on my 2003 MV, the alignment group is listed on the same line as "GLS" would be.

If what you are saying is that you can't find the VIN / build label, also look in your owner's manual in the front of the "Maintenance" booklet. If no luck, contact VW of America.

Since the 2001 GLS has the same wheel and tire combination and (I think) springs as my 2003 MVWK, the alignment specification is probably the same. Mine is on the label as "K5", which means Alignment Group 5.

Maybe other 2001-2003 GLS owners can look at their label and advise.

3. 11-14-2008 10:59 PM #3
      Thanks - I just went out and looked at the label. There is a line that says "caravelle" and then K5. I would imagine it would be the same. The mechanic had in his computer subgroups under each group - I think it said something like "full load" "half load" etc. my verbage may be off.
      Any idea on what it means? And does anyone have the straight up specs for this car (so I can compare to what he shows as an acceptable range....)
      Thanks for the help!!!

4. 11-15-2008 01:06 AM #4
      Use the half load spec with a full tank of gas. Request they set the ride height even left side to right side (if necessary) by adjusting the torsion bars first. Use the distance from the top shock bolt to the ground is easiest.

5. 11-16-2008 11:01 PM #5
      Thanks a lot - Got it done and it seems perfect. I appreciate the help!!!!!