Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Almost no heat 2001 Jetta VR6 help

1. 11-21-2008 06:01 PM #1
      The heater is producing almost no heat. The car does get up to proper temp and it stays there. (thermostat was replaced last year) Water pump has been replaced 2 years ago. I dont smell any coolant and coolant is at proper level.No coolant leaks that i can see.
      Anyone know what the problem can be?

2. 11-21-2008 06:07 PM #2
      could be a clogged heater core, easy way to check, place your hands on both hetare hoses ,make sure they are both hot and not just one of them, what i would do is remove both hoses to firewall, flush out with a garden hose until it flows perfect clear water the put the hoses back on, that sometimes frees up alot of debri settlement that is lying in the bottem of the heater core, also could be an electrical problem with the servo,not letting the door fully open in the heater box

3. 11-21-2008 07:20 PM #3
      It could also be a dead or clogged aux water pump. I've read that the flow rate from the main water pump is low enough (intentionally done by VW engineers) that the aux pump is needed to fully supply the heater core.

Vehicles
      BMP 20th
      11-21-2008 08:51 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
      (intentionally done by VW engineers)

Any idea why?

5. 11-21-2008 09:25 PM #5
      There's a thread of classic VR6 pics that has a scanned article that explains why. I'll try and find it.

Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SE
      11-24-2008 08:41 AM #6
      I'm havin the same issue on my car 2.. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4114862

11-24-2008 10:51 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by 1Qckcab »

Any idea why?

becuase its an expensive part in a complitcated cooling sytem that they can make money off of

8. 11-24-2008 12:24 PM #8
      IIRC, minimizing the flow rate through the engine was critical to getting it to operate efficiently/properly. One of the many unique things about such a unique engine.

9. 11-28-2008 04:23 PM #9
      Both hoses to going to the heater core through the firewall are hot. this leads me to think there is flow through the core and makes me think its not a clogged core or bad aux pump. My mechanic told me it needs to go to the dealer. I spoke to the dealer and the guy there is stumped so he is gonna have the lead tech take a look to see if he can figure it out on monday. Does anyone know how the system works when you turn the dial to more heat. Is there a motor in there that opens a door? Any chance it could be the coolant temp sensor causing this?

10. 11-28-2008 06:23 PM #10
      It should be relatively easy to check if you have flow through the heater core. The fact that both inlet and outlet hoses are hot would suggest that there is sufficient flow. First, verify that the aux pump is actually running. To do that, just turn the ignition on without starting the engine. The pump should turn on. If the pump runs, then disconnect the outlet hose from the heater core, start the engine and see if coolant flows out of the outlet. Catch the coolant with a small cup or bucket and shut the engine off once you know if there is flow or not.

The heater knob controls a door/damper that directs more or less flow of air through the heater core. If that connection and damper is not working correctly, then the flow of coolant through the core it irrelevant. You can use my interior DIYs to get at the HVAC controls to see if things are working as they should.