Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Engine Timing 1983 VW Rabbit Diesel

1. 11-25-2008 10:12 AM #1
      I rebuilt the motor on this car after buying it, because of lack of experience the timing is now off. It runs fine when I first start it but as it runs longer the oil and water pressure gets too high. I'm not sure what exactly is off, but I was wondering if any body had any suggestions or advice on how I can figure out exactly what the problem is and how I could fix it.

Thanks

2. 11-25-2008 12:16 PM #2
      Here's some thoughts on setting the timing:

http://vincewaldon.com/index.p...id=28

Having said that, creeping oil and water pressure sounds like a headgasket or cracked head/block. Unlike a gasser where the timing has a big impact on temperature diesels are much more forgiving... if the timing is within range enough for it to run at all you won't see much in terms of additional temperatures.

Vince Waldon
      Edmonton Alberta Canada
      2001 silver TDI Jetta, .205s and Malone Stage 1.5
      2001 blue TDI Jetta, .216s, SB III, and Malone Stage 3. grrrr baby...very grrrrrrr ;-)

3. 11-25-2008 01:25 PM #3
      Agreed, my 86 Diesel did the same thing, only faster and more severe. Head gasket sounds like the culprit (mine was blown and the head was warped). Not sure if the Rabbits use the press fit cam gear (Like my ME MK2) they are tricky. Make sire everything lines up (pin in the injection pump pulley, lock in your cam plate, and make sure the flywheel marks line up (this took me 2 times to get right) then tighten tensioner up and finally torque down cam pulley.