Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anyone know what a "Transmission Range Sensor (F125)" is?

Vehicles
      B5 Passat & MKIV Golf
      11-28-2008 06:56 PM #1
      Hi, my transmission has a mind of it's own and goes into neutral on it's own when it wants. After 5 seconds, it goes back into "D" though. I got this code right now in my ECU:

17091 - Transmission Range Sensor (F125): Signal Too Low
      P0707 - 35-00--

Any ideas what it means? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

PM me if you want me to program your windows to go up/down with your remote. ('01-'05.5 MKIV's & Passat's)

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      11-28-2008 11:53 PM #2
      Its like a neutral switch only it has more functions. Its sometimes called a multifunction switch.

I assume you have a passant since your signature says,"Das PassatWerks"????

Range sensor is on the side of the trans under the mount, under the exhaust, under the heat sheild.

I replaced a couple lately. Man they are high from the dealer.

Oh, here's a thread regarding range sensors, different code though, for same part.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4044055

Modified by CoolAirVw at 9:02 PM 11-28-2008

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      11-29-2008 12:08 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by mrgreek2002 »
      Hi, my transmission has a mind of it's own and goes into neutral on it's own when it wants. After 5 seconds, it goes back into "D" though. I got this code right now in my ECU:

Actually your symptom sounds like low fluid, but I guess the range sensor might cause it?????

Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

4. 11-29-2008 03:37 PM #4
      The F125 can cause his symptons. The multifunction switch tells the computers what gear the car is in (also controls the gear display). If the switch is telling the TCM that it's in neutral, than the TCM will shift the trans into neutral. There are no sensors or switches at the gear selector lever, so all of the gear select info comes from that sensor.

With the "low signal" code, I'm going to place my bets on a corroded or loose connector. With a newer passat, I believe you should have a round 10-pin connector that's notorious for corrosion. With an older passat, you would probably have an 8 pin connector that plugs directly into the sensor, which would be located at the rear of the transmission.

Modified by z261994 at 12:39 PM 11-29-2008

Vehicles
      12-01-2008 08:13 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by z261994 »
      With a newer passat, I believe you should have a round 10-pin connector that's notorious for corrosion. With an older passat, you would probably have an 8 pin connector that plugs directly into the sensor, which would be located at the rear of the transmission

I think what he's saying is, "What year, make & model."

If thats not what he's saying then its what I'm saying.

www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      B5 Passat & MKIV Golf
      12-01-2008 11:44 PM #6
      1999 Passat 1.8T tiptronic.

I went to the local VW dealer and had it checked out. They said my multi-function switch is fine and that's it's a wire somewhere between my ECU and tranny. Makes sense because I had a water leak right around the time the problem started happening. They needed extra time to get into checking all the wires, etc. I'm going to make a new appointment with them soon and hope to have this fixed as soon as possible!

PM me if you want me to program your windows to go up/down with your remote. ('01-'05.5 MKIV's & Passat's)

Vehicles
      B5 Passat & MKIV Golf
      02-28-2009 11:41 PM #7
      I found out that it was low on tranny oil. Once it was fully filled, the problem went away and it's back to normal now.

Vehicles
      03-03-2009 07:53 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by CoolAirVw »
      Actually your symptom sounds like low fluid, but I guess the range sensor might cause it?????

Wow! I nailed that one, eh?

www.KansasCityTdi.com