Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Slave Cylinder

1. 11-29-2008 11:25 AM #1
      Search Server Not Working, I tried. Where is the slave cylinder located on a 2003 Jetta GLI and will I have to bleed the system in order to replace? I appreciate the help.

Vehicles
      RIP 2003 GTI 1.8t RIP, RIP 92 GTI VR6 RIP. 94 golf cl, Unicorn GLI
      11-29-2008 11:30 AM #2
      Quote, originally posted by bigfu »
      Search Server Not Working, I tried. Where is the slave cylinder located on a 2003 Jetta GLI and will I have to bleed the system in order to replace? I appreciate the help.

it is on the top of the transmission with a brake line going to it... and yes you will need to bleed the system when replaced to get the air out of the line

mike

11-29-2008 11:36 AM #3
      It's attached to the top of the tranmission housing.
      You can easily follow the hydraulic line from the clutch pedal to the slave cylinder.

Bleeding 02M (6-speed) Transmission Slave Cylinder
      - Connect pressure bleader to clutch hydraulic system
      - Connect one end of bleed hose to collection bottle
      - Connect other end of bleed hose to bleeder valve on bleeder coupling
      - Pressurize system to 2bar (30psi) with pressure bleeder
      - Open bleeder valve
      - Bleed off approximately 100cc (3.5 oz.)
      - Close bleeder valve
      - Quickly pump clutch pedal 10 to 15 times.
      - Bleed off an additional 50cc (1.75 oz.)
      - Close bleeder valve

- Pump clutch pedal several times after completing process
      - Check and top off hydraulic brake fluid in master cylinder reservior as needed

- Erik

PatternDraftImaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

4. 11-30-2008 05:23 PM #4
      OK, I'm at the mercy of the vortex. I've been reading other posts that state that the slave cylinder is in the transmission on the 24v GTI, is this the same for 24v GLI? If it isn't what is the best way to get to it, from under the car or would it be best to remove the airbox and other parts. Does anyone have pics I could use for reference? I appreciate all of the help. TTT

5. 11-30-2008 05:41 PM #5
      The 24v GLI has the o2m transmission, which has the slave cylinder inside the bell housing. The only way to replace it is to pull the transmission, so make sure it's really your slave that's bad. What are your symptoms? The most common symptom of a bad slave that I've heard is that the pedal gets sucked to the floor and stays there.

There is a bleeder valve on the top of the transmission, and the bleed procedure is as posted above. For me, my pedal was sticking a bit and not coming up all the way. We tried bleeding it, and it would not bleed. We pulled the clutch master cylinder and tried to bench-bleed it - no dice, clutch master cylinder was toast. We replaced that and it cleared up my problem - I was just about to drop the tranny and do the slave. Saved a whole bunch of money, that's for sure.

11-30-2008 05:44 PM #6
      I've been reading other posts that state that the slave cylinder is in the transmission on the 24v GTI, is this the same for 24v GLI?

Correct; on the 6-speed (O2M) tranny, the slave cylinder is WITHIN the transmission bell housing.

Does anyone have pics I could use for reference? I appreciate all of the help. TTT

Search for a 6-speed manual removal process; hopefully there's some pictures showing such.

- Erik

PatternDraftImaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

7. 11-30-2008 05:47 PM #7
      Thanks for the input. Right now the clutch works, but on somedays, it feels like I have very little pressure and there is a leak from the transmission. It's brake fluid and it appears that it is coming from the transmission itself.

8. 11-30-2008 05:51 PM #8
      I'll see if I can find any pics or schematics of the bleeder valve area. There are several connections there, with o-rings - hopefully it's from there and not the slave itself. Hopefully what you are seeing is running down from that area.

9. 11-30-2008 05:59 PM #9
      Thanks, I appreciate it.

10. 11-30-2008 06:04 PM #10
      Couldn't find any pics quickly, so I snapped a couple for you:

Looking down between the engine cover and the battery - the bleeder valve itself is directly above that wire where it bends.

I shoved my camera down there, so this is looking from the intake area down and towards the front of the car. It's got the little rubber topper in the center of the picture.

11. 11-30-2008 07:14 PM #11
      Cool thanks, you've been a great help.

12. 11-30-2008 08:01 PM #12
      This is a little scary that this many people are having their slave cylinder's fail.

*knock on wood*

OP- You're looking at about $600 worth of labor to get it replaced. Hopefully you don't have to replace it