Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Hella Supertone to replace OEM horn

Vehicles
      2004 V10 TDi (modified)
      12-03-2008 09:29 PM #1
      Hello -

Had my OEM horn go out again. I'd like to just replace it with the Hella Supertone horns. I have the Hella supertone horns mounted, but I'm not sure about the wiring. My preference is to simply disconnect the OEM horn and use those wires.

The Hella Supertone horns (2) each have 2 electrical terminals. Either terminal can be wired with local ground from one terminal, the other terminal must be wired positive. I'd guess that I need to use one of the wires leading to the OEM horn.

Any help on the wiring for the OEM horn? I removed the front grill and had a look at the wires leading to the passenger side horn and they are brown and purple.

Suggestions?

near the Gandy, Frankland and Sunshine Skyway
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      12-03-2008 10:14 PM #2
      The brown is ground and the purple is positive. I don't know what the electrical draw is for the horns but when I wire horns, I usually do it through a relay.

3. 12-03-2008 11:14 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by spockcat »
      The brown is ground and the purple is positive.

That is typical VW for you. Keeping it Simple.

Vehicles
      2004 V10 TDi (modified)
      12-04-2008 07:30 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by spockcat »
      The brown is ground and the purple is positive. I don't know what the electrical draw is for the horns but when I wire horns, I usually do it through a relay.

Yes, that's what I'm going to do as well.

I'm trying to follow multi-lingual installation instructions where the writer's native tongue wasn't English.

Looks like I'll be using wiring diagram 4a: clipping the horn wiring and connecting the positive to terminal 85, negative to terminal 86. The battery to terminal 30 (20 amp in-line fuse) and one terminal from each horn to terminal 87.

Vehicles
      2004 V10 TDi (modified)
      12-07-2008 06:42 AM #5
      I experimented wiring options using the included relay and without the relay.

The Hella Supertones can be wired up directly to the existing horn wiring. That is the easiest wiring option. Simply snip/tap the existing wires and good to go.

The downside of using the existing horn wiring is slightly less volume and slightly higher response time. Using the relay does require a few more wires (and an in-line 20-amp fuse), but the resulting louder sound has no latency. It has a different sound than the OEM horn - much more "European."

6. 12-07-2008 03:58 PM #6
      my oem horns went bad twice. went with the hella supertones. great horns. one of those has now gone bad. That's three horns. This car eats tires and horns. I've never experienced a bad horn in over 35 years of automobile ownership.

Vehicles
      2004 V10 TDi (modified)
      12-07-2008 04:42 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by mdjak »
      ...went with the hella supertones. great horns. one of those has now gone bad...

That's certainly strange. Did it cut out while you were using it or did it just not work one day?

8. 12-17-2008 08:42 PM #8
      just stopped working, not while using them.

9. 12-18-2008 12:58 PM #9
      I had this happen to me once usually its just crud in the horns i washed it the horn and it worked fine again you could have a problem with placement like i did.