VWVortex.com - Fuel door stuck - actuator/motor broken
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Fuel door stuck - actuator/motor broken

1. 12-04-2008 07:54 PM #1
      Hello all,
      First off, I couldn't find a forum category that fit my question specifically, but if anyone can point me to it, that would be great.
      Anyway, I realized this morning that the fuel door to my 2003 GTI wouldn't unlatch. So I dropped it by the dealer - it was the closest service station and I was just about out of gas (perfect storm) - and they said that the actuator which unlatches the door is broken. They wanted almost $500 to fix it! So anyway, I told the guy to just pop it open and leave it like that, and I would deal with it later.
      My questions:
      -Anyone know if there's a way to manually pop the fuel door open if it gets latched again. I plan on rigging the latch with some tape, but just in case that fails I'd like to know if I can still get it open somehow.
      -Anyone know if this is a do-it-yourself repair if I can get a spare actuator?
      This is like a kick in the nuts. No gas in the car - can't get gas into the car - didn't have enough gas to get to another mechanic aside from the dealer - get fleeced for $500. Damn.

2001 VW Jetta 1.8t
      12-04-2008 08:01 PM #2
      someone else may have more to say, ive done this on my jetta and my girlfriends beetle. you can diy. popping it open manually, for me ended up me buy a new door and once again the same for my lady. its not that hard of a fix, just tedious and time consuming. can be done though in about 1.5 to 2 hours. just have enough

3. 12-04-2008 09:12 PM #3
      Thanks for the feedback vwrogers. So was popping the door just a matter of brute force to pry it open right at the latch, or is this something that needs a bit of finesse?
      I guess dinging up the fuel door or buying a new fuel door is better than not being able to put gas into it.

2001 VW Jetta 1.8t
      12-04-2008 09:32 PM #4
      it kind of latches in there so a screwdriver and some force got it open, but like i said, it broke. before doing that, try to keep pulling the gas door switch, that will sometimes unlatch it. just do it kind of fast. a fuel door is 20 to 40 i think, then painting etc. taking the old one off is more of a pain then replacing the unlock system.

5. 12-10-2008 12:21 PM #5
      I've got a similar issue but my door is stuck open. I have my suspicions that while fueling up in NJ, the attendant slammed the fuel door closed and damaged the microswitch/latch that holds it closed. Do you guys have any experience or know of a DIY thread for replacing this part? The door itself seems in perfect working order.

6. Member
      Tulsa, OK
      2002 VW Jetta GLX VR6
      01-05-2010 04:01 PM #6
      X2 - back from the dead

7. 01-05-2010 04:13 PM #7
      wow, graverobbers.
      take this to the MK4 forums please, as it has NOTHING AT ALL to do with a 1.8T ENGINE!
      thanks and have a wonderful Tuesday.

1978 Miami Blue 16v Rabbit on side drafts, 1980 Jetta Coupe,1988 Vanagon Wolfs., 2003 TDI Golf, and,
      01-05-2010 04:36 PM #8
      woop that trick, gettum.
      VW&AUDI Performance Maintenance Repair.
      Northwest Premiere UnitedMotorsport Software Dealer
      APR Dealer. TDTuning Dealer. VAG-COM.

For advertising information click HERE