Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Golf MKIV Temperature gauge Problem

1. 12-05-2008 04:19 PM #1
      Hi guys, I recently baught a Mk IV 1.4 E and all is great except from the temperature gauge not working.

In traffic the other night it popped on a few times with all the starting and stopping, so i'm hoping it's just a loose connection. I've been under the bonnet and only found one wire which could be the one i'm looking for, though it was in correctly and had no splits in it so i'm not to sure. (With the recent cold weather over here spending ages under the bonnet doesn't come high on the list )

My fear is that it's a problem right in behind the dashboard itself, so if anyone has had any similar problems i'd be more than gratefull for your help.

Nice site by the way, some great looking cars on here.

Vehicles
      B6 Passat Variant, B5.5 Passat Variant, company honda
      12-05-2008 05:26 PM #2
      I would try replacing the temperature sender, my friend had the same issue with her car and a new sensor took care of it. It's not too complicated to replace and it's a fairly inexpensive part. there should be a DIY on here somewhere if you aren't that comfortable figuring it out. when you do it coolant will start to spill when you remove the old sensor, so make sure your car has cooled down or is cold when you change it.

Vehicles
      2000/VW/MK4 Jetta
      12-05-2008 05:54 PM #3
      There are no DIYs for the 1.4L.

Try a revised green top coolant temperature sensor. It's a faulty sensor that VW updated to a "green top" (color of the physical sensor connector).

4. 12-07-2008 07:10 AM #4
      Ok, thanks for the info.