Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2007 Passat Parking Brake Failure - help!

1. 12-08-2008 12:16 PM #1
      Hi Guys, I'm the frustrated owner of a 2007 Passat 2.0T wagon, 6 spd manual, 32k km's. (leased) I'm having repeated persistent parking brake failures (won't engage, or won't disengage). Anyone else have this problem?

-About two months ago the parking brake would not disengage, error message on the MFD, yellow warning light and warning tone. Called roadside, finally got it disengaged by removing one terminal from the battery. Took it straight to the dealership, they "fixed" it by resetting the computer.
      - The next day I have auto hold engaged, parking brake did not disengage when I turned the car back on. Had to turn engine on/off several times before it disengaged.
      - Took it to the dealership again, had to get a rental car over a weekend while they diagnosed the problem. This time they changed some wiring and replaced the parking brake button.
      - Next day the parking brake engaged ok but wouldn't disengage. Same routine on/off/on/off to get it to disengage.
      - Back to the dealership again, they decided to replace the brake control module but didnt have stock.
      - Last week I took the car back in (4th trip for this issue), they replaced the module and said it was fixed. Next day my wife got stuck in a parking lot with the parking brake stuck on.
      - Called the dealership last friday and asked them to come pick it up this time, as my wife and I are sick of the inconvenience of this issue. (we share the car, both work, and also have a child's daycare to schedule around)

The problem is intermittent but not difficult to cause a fault. Can be caused when engaging, disengaging, or when the PB kicks in from auto hold when turning the car off. I try not to use it, but sometimes is necessary (parking on hills etc).

So, any advice? The dealership doesnt seem to know the problem and are just throwing parts at it. What recourse do I have for repeated problems? The manual recommends using this parking brake EVERY time the car is parked, so I don't think it's too much to ask to have it working properly.

Otherwise I love the car but this problem is wrecking the experience.

Vehicles
      2013 Passat V6 SEL
      12-08-2008 02:27 PM #2
      Ask your VW dealer to have the regional service rep look at the car. They usually go from dealer to dealer dealing with difficult issues.

That helped me once when my dealer couldn't code a new instrument cluster on my 2003 Jetta wagon. Turns out they were using the coding as if the car was assembled in Mexico when it was actually assembled in Germany.

3. 12-08-2008 03:11 PM #3
      Thanks, I will ask the dealer about the regional reps.

Forgot to mention I am located in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.

4. 12-09-2008 09:38 AM #4
      Has anyone else had this parking brake problem? Is it common?

Vehicles
      2009 B6 Variant
      12-09-2008 10:43 AM #5
      Not super common but it has happened to people. try to get them to change out the actual button/switch unit, as I recall that being the problem for some other folks with similar issues.

You can also try everyones friend the archive search!

6. 12-09-2008 11:29 AM #6
      Yes, i had this problem.....new switch fixed it

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 Odyssey, '05 Passat TDI, '11 Golf TDI, 6-mt, '79 Beech C23
      12-09-2008 02:29 PM #7
      Any chance something is sticking somewhere? Last winter I was parked against a hillside, rear in, during a blizzard. When I fired up the car I got all sorts of parking brake warnings and though it disengaged, I had an ABS warning and an ESP warning and it wouldn't re-engage. Finally after driving around, it worked again.

I suspected that snow/ice fouled the system.

I have never had a recurrence, though I have always thought that this electric parking brake issue was nutty overdesign when the good old fashioned manual lever and cable always worked so well (though they could freeze up as well!)

Vehicles
      1993 Passat GLX, 2006 Passat 2.0T
      12-09-2008 02:30 PM #8
      I've had both the ecu/controller and the button replaced in the 16 months I've owned my 06. Controller went days after I bought the car and getting it replaced fixed me for a year, and then had the button replaced 4 months ago, and *knock on wood* I've been fine since. Had exactly the same experiences with the parking brake, the whole turn the car on/off/on/off/push the button/on/off/push the button some more/etc process to get it to release. If they really have replaced both the button and the controller, I'd start to wonder if it wasn't something with the actuators they use as the parking brakes.

Modified by MP3DUB at 12:31 PM 12-9-2008
      -Nick

9. 12-14-2008 03:42 PM #9
      Hi guys, thanks for the responses. I have the car back and the parking brake is working now. In the mean time I discovered a colleague at work knows the technical group manager at VW Canada. Here is a response I got from him:

"I called the dealer and found what they have done so far. They had replaced the switch earlier, but I found from a Product Support person in Auburn Hills that there is a newer version produced in 2008 that may fix the problem. I checked with parts dept. and they have the latest version. I advised the dealership, and they will order the new switch and install it. Only time will tell if this cures the problem, though, because it happens very intermittently, according to the dealer."

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '63 single cab, '04 530i
      12-15-2008 12:36 AM #10
      same here

11. 12-24-2008 10:56 AM #11
      Last weekend I had the warning lights and tone come on also. Although my PB would not engage. I took the car to the dealer and they put new rear pads and rotors on. They could not clear the code in the computer and after a day they said I needed a new Brake Module. Which they ordered and it will not be in in time for xmas. The dealer at may request is checking to see about taking the part off a new vehicle in inventory, otherwise they will rent me a car.

I'll keep you posted.

12. 02-21-2010 08:28 AM #12
      hi. i have the 2006 passat variant(wagon) 3.2 4 motion and the brake button has failed for the second time(replaced last button a few months ago.)..save carrying extra brake button in glove compartment, does anyone have any new ideas on the root of the problem??has vw addressed this problem at all??

Vehicles
      2012 chevy camaro
      02-22-2010 09:00 PM #13
      i had this problem also....they changed the switch and that fixed it
      2010 Black VW CC: Tint=20% rear 35% front, Tinted Front Blinkers, Euroswitch, Euro Cupholder, HID Headlights and fog lights 6000k, Full LED Interior, LED Headlight Strip (Audi Style), LED reverse Lights, LED Red Footwell Lights,APR Cold Air Intake,APR ECU Stage 1 Upgrade
      Future: Rims, R-line Style Fin

14. 02-23-2010 12:16 AM #14
      Just had mine done last week. They replaced the parking brake motor.

Vehicles
      07 Passat 2.0T 6MT/96 Passat GLX VR6/ 87 Scirocco 16V
      03-15-2010 05:31 AM #15
      I been getting the issue as well. It happened 20K miles ago.. then it went away. Finally yesterday, its been acting up.. i am not using it and just leaving the car in gear with blocks on both sides. I think its the switch..

should I replace the switch myself.. or deal with the dealership.. hmmm I am at 55k but they might still hook me up since its a known issue.. but is it worth my time.. hmm

JT

Passat B6 6MT 2.0TFSI, Spork Pkg, Bixenons, Giac,EVOMS Intake, Neuspeed SS, NS Rear S B, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro kit, Peloquin LSD, VF Mounts, Forge DV and FMIC, 18x9 Wheels,Badgeless Grille, Hidef Rear Bumper/Spoiler/Tips, Votex Side, Abt Front lip..
      Passat B4 5MT GLX VR6. Moddified Intake Box with K&N Filter, Borla Muffler... more to come.

16. 05-12-2010 12:27 AM #16
      Anyone have an estimated cost on the switch? Our 2007 Sport 2 Wagon just started doing this....5K out of warranty. I love the car but hate the fact that it's been in the shop 15+ times since it was new.

Many thanks

Vehicles
      07 B6 2.0T Tip
      05-12-2010 07:43 AM #17
      I think it was like fourty bucks or so. I did mine about a year ago. That is one of the most annoying problems you can have IMO!!!

Good luck
      Andy

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '04 B5.5 Variant, '07 B6 Sport
      06-30-2010 10:39 AM #18
      I had the same issue before and the dealer replaced the switch under warranty. I now have my own switch to replace my 2nd one going bad.

Anyone know how to remove the switch? Looks like there is some plastic loop on the back of the assembly you can pull (push?) on and a blue spring inside it that you can compress with a key, but the module doesn't want to budge!

-jake

Vehicles
      07 Passat 2.0T 6MT/96 Passat GLX VR6/ 87 Scirocco 16V
      07-01-2010 06:02 AM #19
      jake

Per another post.. some one said you just have to unclip the blue clip. When I did mine.. i was trying to loosen the top and bottom clips. Removed the fuse cover on the left hand side of the dash for access. After a hour.. I just pulled the F*^* thing in pieces... some other member did it in 10 min.

Thats all i know. Good luck!

JT
      Passat B6 6MT 2.0TFSI, Spork Pkg, Bixenons, Giac,EVOMS Intake, Neuspeed SS, NS Rear S B, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro kit, Peloquin LSD, VF Mounts, Forge DV and FMIC, 18x9 Wheels,Badgeless Grille, Hidef Rear Bumper/Spoiler/Tips, Votex Side, Abt Front lip..
      Passat B4 5MT GLX VR6. Moddified Intake Box with K&N Filter, Borla Muffler... more to come.

Vehicles
      07 B6 2.0T Tip
      07-01-2010 04:53 PM #20
      Its a pita to take out. BUT it is doable. just remove the bin to the lower left of the steering wheel. Then remove the headlamp switch. between the two you can get your hands in their to remove it. you have to squeeze the top and bottom of the switch i think. Its been a while sence I removed mine. I think you can kind of just push it out from the back...

Good Luck
      Andy
      Everything listed is up for sale, Give me a call if you have any questions 240-346-6164
      07 B6 2.0T Tip - 42DD Race DP - AutoTech Cat Back - (SOLD)42DD Ultimate Catch Can(SOLD) - Neuspeed Intake - Kyowa 628 18x8 -SOLD Vogtland Sport SpringsSOLD - Black Badgeless Grille - NSP Boost Gauge Kit SOLD SOLD - Euro Switch

Vehicles
      07 Eos 07 Caddy Camper 76 Bug 56 Bug
      07-01-2010 09:48 PM #21
      It's a stupid feature. I once sent my mother to a 'skid pan day' where it was the biggest waste of time for her, coz the car would not slide! There's no handbrake to pull.

Anyway our car's on its 3rd park brake switch. I should collect them like kids collect teeth they pull out

It was $97 AUD including tax, which means you guys in the US shoudl be able to get them for $50. That reminds me, I should buy a spare one now!

22. 01-12-2012 03:07 PM #22
      Ok so this is the problem now, i went to check my fuses and pulled a #20 out to see if the cigarette lighter fuse was blown. Guess what? i start the car and all of a sudden the Electronic Parking brake failure kicked on. I tried to get the car out and now it won't get out of park! FML i heard that you can just unplug the battery for 15 min and that should reset the car but who knows... anyone had this problem? i got vw roadside coming to see what they can do it might need to get towed though

Vehicles
      1993 Passat GLX, 2006 Passat 2.0T
      01-14-2012 04:37 PM #23
      This is two days late, so hopefully you've got it resolved, but I finally figured out after having it happen a 3rd time (two switch replacements) that the trick to it all after it goes into parking brake fault is to let the ecu powercycle. Which involves pulling the key and letting all the indicators on your dash turn off, so the cluster is completely dark. Just turning the ignition on/off/on/off never did any good. But like I said, took it happening 3 separate times to me to figure out what was really "fixing" it (and by fixing, I mean letting me drive away).
      -Nick

Vehicles
      Currently: '07 Passat Wagon. Past: '73 Bug, '99 Cabrio, and '97 Jazz Blue GTI.
      01-15-2012 01:58 PM #24
      Of course, for me, the dealership swears they never had this problem I had a vag.com hooked up when I got my HIDs and when we were clearing out codes, it mentioned a low voltage warning to the brakes (someone else mentioned a battery issue earlier). All of this just make me wonder if a capacitor somewhere could fix these problems?
      Editorial Photography: www.dejauregui.com
      Wedding Photography: www.erinheartscourt.com
      Wedding Blog: www.erinheartscourt.com/blog
      Instagram: @dejauregui

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2006, VW Passat 2.0TFSI
      01-16-2012 05:56 PM #25
      I had this problem before..I took it to dealership and they said one of my brake calipers needed to be resurfaced ..so they grinder it some and that was it..it was free and I haven't had a problem since...
      Goodluck..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk