Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: what grinds your gears at the gym?

Vehicles
      01-07-2009 04:41 PM #141
      Quote, originally posted by ClockworkChad »
      Why is it people watch the cooking channel at the gym, i cant watch that show without becoming immediatley starving.

my girlfriend goes to the planet fitness near her house once ever 2 months or whatever she feels like and called me yesterday ECSTATIC that she went there on pizza night.

when i laughed she said she only had 1 peice as opposed to last time when she had 3.

it grinds my gears that planet fitness taunts my girlfriend with pizza.

you are a liar. you probably knew she was on her way and you called ahead to tell them to have it ready for her, WITH a diet coke. we know how you like them.

2. 01-07-2009 04:57 PM #142
      Everytime I go to the gym, I have to laugh when I see Army guys in there. First of all they are not the smartest bunch in the world. But they crowd all the benches, don't re-rack the weights and do the most ridiculous exercises ever.

I saw a guy using the tricep pulldown bar behind his back. Some guys were holding plates and they were 'throwing' them in front of themselves. However one guy let go and it broke the mirror in the gym. Needless to say he got banned.

Vehicles
      01-07-2009 05:00 PM #143
      while i have nothing against the army, i LOL'd at the mental picture of someone just hurling a plate into a mirror.

last night at the gym i saw a guy curling 55 lbs in the squat rack. when he finished he just left he didn't unrack it. failure. i also got hardcore mean mugged by another lesbian who looked like she plays rugby. she grilled me and my gf while we did walking lunges.

Vehicles
      Is300
      01-07-2009 05:08 PM #144
      Quote, originally posted by kimlin85 »

you are a liar. you probably knew she was on her way and you called ahead to tell them to have it ready for her, WITH a diet coke. we know how you like them.

haha id be lying if told her that she didnt need to go to the gym....

Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

Vehicles
      2006 GTi, 2012 GMC Terrain
      01-07-2009 05:11 PM #145

haha id be lying if told her that she didnt need to go to the gym....

damn!

so you're a jerk and she likes you....

Any woman who thinks the way to a man's heart is through his stomach is aiming about 10 inches too high.
      ~Adrienne E. Gusoff

Ultimate Fire Protection

Vehicles
      '99 Cabrio, '05 S2000
      01-08-2009 01:33 AM #146

do you ever see someone walking in w/a corndog in their hand?

Nope, but I did see a chick eating a bag of freshly popped popcorn.

The smell is distracting!

Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Let's just say I like my women like I like my cars - fast, cheap, kinda ugly and beaten up, unreliable, dangerous, unwanted....
      4 coilpacks, 2 gearboxes and counting...

Vehicles
      Is300
      01-08-2009 09:45 AM #147
      Quote, originally posted by eve16v »

damn!

Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

8. Member
      01-08-2009 11:45 AM #148
      The other night, some teenager was stepping on and hopping over some of the workout benches while walking back and forth through the gym.
      Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

Vehicles
      Is300
      01-08-2009 11:46 AM #149
      i hate when they tread the benches as a stepper thing.

Vehicles
      2005 Ford Crown Victoria
      01-08-2009 11:54 AM #150
      Quote, originally posted by NLR32 »
      Everytime I go to the gym, I have to laugh when I see Army guys in there. First of all they are not the smartest bunch in the world. But they crowd all the benches, don't re-rack the weights and do the most ridiculous exercises ever.
      I saw a guy using the tricep pulldown bar behind his back. Some guys were holding plates and they were 'throwing' them in front of themselves. However one guy let go and it broke the mirror in the gym. Needless to say he got banned.
      That was the number one thing that pissed me off with the gym in Iraq. Since my base didn't really have a good MWR setup people went to the gym to watch tv and ****. The other that guys were the rediculously overweight national guardsmen that were 300 pounds benching 105 pound dumbells and screaming big weight. So many people were on there deployment fitness plan if you will, basically a bunch of people that never worked out but for some reason decided to get in shape for the deployment. I mean good on 'em but I saw so many people just going through the motions.

Vehicles
      '97 Passat w/ V, '02 Jetta w/ T
      01-08-2009 01:27 PM #151
      Why is it people watch the cooking channel at the gym, i cant watch that show without becoming immediatley starving.

my girlfriend goes to the planet fitness near her house once ever 2 months or whatever she feels like and called me yesterday ECSTATIC that she went there on pizza night.

when i laughed she said she only had 1 peice as opposed to last time when she had 3.

it grinds my gears that planet fitness taunts my girlfriend with pizza.

Planet fitness is the DEBIL!

An entire girls' high school softball team trains at my gym, and the trainers watch as all the girls do the exercises WRONG. Then they all eyeball me because I exhale loudly.

I also loved watchin the manager training a lady. He had her doing step-ups and didn't say a word when she was using momentum AND pushing off from her trailing leg. This is the same manager that scoffed at me for carrying around my little book instead of getting a program from one of his excellent employees.

Daily Driven

Whatta you lookin at butthead

12. 01-08-2009 03:16 PM #152
      Quote, originally posted by Steveo989 »
      That was the number one thing that pissed me off with the gym in Iraq. Since my base didn't really have a good MWR setup people went to the gym to watch tv and ****. The other that guys were the rediculously overweight national guardsmen that were 300 pounds benching 105 pound dumbells and screaming big weight. So many people were on there deployment fitness plan if you will, basically a bunch of people that never worked out but for some reason decided to get in shape for the deployment. I mean good on 'em but I saw so many people just going through the motions.

Yes that is the same thing here. Where were you in Iraq. I'm at Qwest. The MWR here is small but it has a decent gym. So I can do what I need to do. I just happened to go at a busy time the other day. Not my normal time at 9am when there's next to no one there.

Vehicles
      2005 Acura EL
      01-08-2009 03:26 PM #153
      Quote, originally posted by eve16v »

damn!

Isn't that how it usually is with most women? They stick to *******s like flys on ****.

14. Banned
      01-08-2009 03:30 PM #154
      one day, my girlfriend decided that "she doesnt want to be one of those girls whose hottest feature is her face".

it was awesome.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 JSW TDI
      01-08-2009 03:38 PM #155
      Quote, originally posted by thompo »
      one day, my girlfriend decided that "she doesnt want to be one of those girls whose hottest feature is her face".

it was awesome.

what did the other chick you were staring at look like?

16. 01-08-2009 03:56 PM #156
      Quote, originally posted by thompo »

it was awesome.

LOL!

My only gear-grinder was always, and will always be people that use the olympic bar to curl. My brother does this, and I just hang my head in disgust.

Oh, and I'm not too happy about the fact that the club's bar is located RIGHT beside the weight room, and as result, whenever they're cooking (nachos, wings, etc), the smell drifts and my stomach suddenly turns (out of hunger), and my work-out is basically ruined.

Modified by Cameronstein at 12:57 PM 1-8-2009

17. Member
      01-08-2009 04:16 PM #157
      Quote, originally posted by Cameronstein »

LOL!

My only gear-grinder was always, and will always be people that use the olympic bar to curl. My brother does this, and I just hang my head in disgust.

Well, you don't want to hold people up at the squat rack, but there's nothing wrong with straight bar curls. Hit the biceps from a different angle once in a while.

My gym at college only had EZ-curl bars, so if you wanted a straight bar, it's olympic bar or nothing. On the rare occasion that I would be totally alone in the weight room, I'd swipe the bar from the squat rack. And try to be done and put it back before anyone notices.

Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

18. 01-08-2009 05:12 PM #158
      on the plus side, we have four new resolutioners at my club that are smoking hot, raises the grand total to 6 hotties

19. Member
      01-08-2009 05:14 PM #159

no. just no.

Hey, I'm all ears. Why not?

Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

Vehicles
      2.9L 24v twin turbo VR6 on a stand, 2002 S6 Avant
      01-08-2009 05:16 PM #160
      I just deleted all the bickering that went on in this thread.

Let's try to keep it civil.

Driversport|| Valley Dubs PM me for all your Fragola Fittings and Billy Boat Exhaust Needs!!!

The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #4

My Build Thread

Vehicles
      01-08-2009 05:17 PM #161
      Quote, originally posted by Big M »

Hey, I'm all ears. Why not?

try doing a search for "bicep curls" in this forum. you will find plenty of reasons. i have nothing against curls, i just have something against curling in the squat rack. every night since the resolutioners started flooding my gym ive seen someone doing it.

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      01-08-2009 05:21 PM #162

try doing a search for "bicep curls" in this forum. you will find plenty of reasons. i have nothing against curls, i just have something against curling in the squat rack. every night since the resolutioners started flooding my gym ive seen someone doing it.

same here, I was doing squats last night and had to dis assemble one of those bench press/squat rack combos b/c all the dedicated squat racks were taken up by bicep curlers...everyone was staring b/c no one ever touches or moves them. Technically we have 7 squat racks but no one knows the benches can be removed.

Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

23. 01-08-2009 05:23 PM #163
      Quote, originally posted by Mr. Rictus »
      I just deleted all the bickering that went on in this thread.

Let's try to keep it civil.

Jeeze my bad...

Not trying to get this holed...

Carry on ladies and gents.

Modified by citat3962 at 3:28 PM 1-8-2009

Vehicles
      01-08-2009 05:24 PM #164
      Quote, originally posted by VW1.8Tsunami »

same here, I was doing squats last night and had to dis assemble one of those bench press/squat rack combos b/c all the dedicated squat racks were taken up by bicep curlers...everyone was staring b/c no one ever touches or moves them. Technically we have 7 squat racks but no one knows the benches can be removed.

you are lucky then. my gym only has one squat rack and one power rack. so if you got a curler, that reduces it to just the power rack. the worst part is that there are two towers of preset weight barbells that someone can get their curl on with. why load up the oly bar? WHY?!?!

25. 01-08-2009 05:24 PM #165
      You can only imagine what kind of looks I get when I move the flat bench (I found a mobile one finally!) to the squat rack, and put a couple of 45lb plates underneath it so I'm elevated to the point that I can do a negative on the bench-press to slightly below 45 degrees before hitting the rack.

26. Member
      01-08-2009 05:27 PM #166

OK. I just did, and all I got were people complaining about people curling in the squat rack.

I've read up on them, I've used them, and have felt a clear differnce when using a straight bar. So when I plateau and my workout gets stale, I throw that in there sometimes to get a slightly different stimulation. If that is flat out wrong, tell me how.

If all you're just talking about is curling in the squat rack, then we're in agreement.

Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

Vehicles
      01-08-2009 05:29 PM #167

If all you're just talking about is curling in the squat rack, then we're in agreement.

i think we are in agreement, as long as curls aren't one of your primary "lifts."

28. 01-08-2009 05:29 PM #168

What grinds my gears is being essentially clueless on the best way to work out and what exercises are helpful and what form is correct. Makes me uncomfortable because I don't know WTF I'm doing, I know I'm doing it wrong and I'm not confident enough to just ask people what to try.

So I usually hit the treadmill until my legs are jello and go home because I don't want to look stupid struggling with weights. Even though I know a low rep high weight lifting workout + cardio after is actually better for me...

perhaps I need a DB set for home and some research on form and exercises so I don't **** myself up. Straining muscles hurts.

29. 01-08-2009 05:29 PM #169

OK. I just did, and all I got were people complaining about people curling in the squat rack.

I've read up on them, I've used them, and have felt a clear differnce when using a straight bar. So when I plateau and my workout gets stale, I throw that in there sometimes to get a slightly different stimulation. If that is flat out wrong, tell me how.

No. Curls are useless, end of story. If you're curling, the only reason you're doing so is because you want bigger arms (aesthetics). The bicep's primary function is to move the forearm towards the shoulder. Using a supenated grip on your back exercises (rows, pull-downs, etc), will target your arms and also cause them to grow, so basically the time you waste doing mad curlz yo! is basically time wasted.

Vehicles
      01-08-2009 05:30 PM #170
      Quote, originally posted by citat3962 »

What grinds my gears is being essentially clueless on the best way to work out and what exercises are helpful and what form is correct. Makes me uncomfortable because I don't know WTF I'm doing, I know I'm doing it wrong and I'm not confident enough to just ask people what to try.

So I usually hit the treadmill until my legs are jello and go home because I don't want to look stupid struggling with weights. Even though I know a low rep high weight lifting workout + cardio after is actually better for me...

perhaps I need a DB set for home and some research on form and exercises so I don't **** myself up. Straining muscles hurts.

first of all read the FAQ. then look up proper form. pick up rippetoe's starting strength or read stronglifts 5x5. you will be all set.

31. Member
      01-08-2009 05:31 PM #171

i think we are in agreement, as long as curls aren't one of your primary "lifts."

Um, no, they're not. Why the hostility?
      Sorry if I offended you.

Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

Vehicles
      98 cabrio VR6
      01-08-2009 05:33 PM #172

as much as it might not seem like it... the guys who are knowledgeable here really do love to teach people the right ways to do things. imo at least, i love sharing the stuff that's taken me 5 years to realize on my own... because, well i don't want to see people waste that same amount of time. but the reality of it is, if you ask anyone that's made any real progress in the gym about their first few years, they will most likely be talking about how much time they wasted and if only they knew then, what they know now. so try to sift through some of the hard headed responses in here and really give the info a chance, i can guarantee you won't be mislead.

hit up the FAQ, then come back with questions.

33. 01-08-2009 05:34 PM #173

See, there's a douchebaggish way to ask for advice, and then there's this.

I hate to say it, but go to bodybuilding.com. They have videos of a ton of exercises (with good form) so you can watch those and then try the exercises at the gym. Or just ask someone at the gym. I never have a problem helping someone, but only if they WANT to be helped. I refuse to go to the gym with my friends, because I know for a fact that they won't be there in a month. If you're committed to the gym, tell someone, and I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help out.

5 minutes warmup
      Lift
      Cardio.

Vehicles
      01-08-2009 05:36 PM #174

Sorry if I offended you.

sorry if it came out like i was making fun of you. i really wasn't. i have nothing against curls as long as they don't take place in a squat rack.

35. 01-08-2009 05:38 PM #175

Sorry if I offended you.

Because for a ton of people, 'abs and arms' describes at least one day of the week at the gym...

edit: abz and armz

Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast