Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 111 of 193 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161 ... LastLast
    Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 4806

Thread: what grinds your gears at the gym?

1. Member
      05-10-2010 06:27 PM #2751
      lol

WhitePolo, do you know the guy in the first place?
      The way you wrote that, it seems like he's expecting a hello from a complete stranger.

Vehicles
      '09 Fiat Bravo, '05 Honda S2000
      05-11-2010 02:34 AM #2752
      He's been there for ages, and we've seen and spoken before... but we're not buddies. Seriously, he's even acknowledged to me before that he knows I just come in, do my ****, and don't bother with other people. I think he took it personally that I didn't greet him, but I've never been the nutswinging type, so **** him. lol
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Let's just say I like my women like I like my cars - fast, cheap, kinda ugly and beaten up, unreliable, dangerous, unwanted....
      4 coilpacks, 2 gearboxes and counting...

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SE
      05-11-2010 07:48 AM #2753
      I think every gym has the social butterfly dudes that are pretty built, but will drop everything to say hello to people they know. I always see a couple of dudes that will stop in the middle of sets to go over to someone they know, or to yell across the room "how you doing bro?". I think despite their impressive bulk they are still insecure weirdos that need to show everyone in the gym that they have friends.

Vehicles
      2004 Passat Variant
      05-11-2010 12:03 PM #2754
      My roommate is one of these guys. He doesn't have a job with any set schedule, but he still makes sure to hit the gym promptly @5:30 so he can get in on the magical after-work rush. He loves that there's 20+ people he talks to there regularly, same time. I used to lift with him, and it literally became impossible for me. He'd punctuate the workout with 15-20 minute conversations with anyone and everyone. I couldn't deal with it. Cracks me up, because he's a really big dude, and has made very respectable gains, but he could probably bang his workouts out in half the time he actually spends at the gym.

5. 05-11-2010 12:32 PM #2755
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Bionic View Post
      I think every gym has the social butterfly dudes that are pretty built, but will drop everything to say hello to people they know. I always see a couple of dudes that will stop in the middle of sets to go over to someone they know, or to yell across the room "how you doing bro?". I think despite their impressive bulk they are still insecure weirdos that need to show everyone in the gym that they have friends.
      I'm the anti-that guy. I try to keep my eyes down and be in my own world. I did get distracted for a second last night when I couldn't help overhearing some kids nearby argue over how much weight is on my bar for the last set. My favorite was the one arguing it was 900 lbs. I wanted to hire him to be in charge of starting an internet nutswinger group for me.

Vehicles
      Is300
      05-11-2010 01:14 PM #2756
      lol juggernaut thats awesome. its a cool feeling when there are puny highschool kids trying to add up how many plates youre doing and whispering about it within earshot.

gym highlight for me yesterday was that there was a douchebag 50 year old state cop that looks like a completed weirdo, he used to live 2 houses down for me before i moved. we had quite a few verbal alercations in the past, but he was curling 2.5 plates in the squat rack yesterday with these fishnet gloves and a rat fink shirt from the 80's, so i think i won that round.
      Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

Vehicles
      05 S2000, 07 Speed Triple
      05-11-2010 01:21 PM #2757
      I feel bad for you guys. The oly group I worked with was about 15 people. At any time there were only 4-8 people at the platforms. So you get to know everyone really well. At my current gym, there's 2 groups. The older guys working on their fitness and younger guys powerlifting, body building etc. It's kind of like having your own Cheers. Everyone knows you're name and they're always glad you came. The downside is that yes, occasionally you do get dragged into a slightly long winded conversation, though most guys are good about stopping when you need to take a set. The upside is there's always a spotter, a guy to slap your back before you take a set, take a video for you or scream at you to do work. I've also gotten to try a whole bunch of different exercises and work with equipment people have brought in to share.

My suggestion. Find a smaller gym, where you won't mind talking with the guys.

Vehicles
      91 EA Cabby - 02 24V GTI
      05-11-2010 06:37 PM #2758
      Quote Originally Posted by VW1.8Tsunami View Post
      wow, that's I rarely say anything to anyone at my gym...I might talk to 5 people/year.
      this is how it is for me too... I rarely even ask if I can work in with someone because half the time they dont even know what I mean. They will act like I want to spend the rest of the day with them or something.... ummm, dude, I just wanna sneak in a few sets, Im not looking for a blow job

although XiaoNio is right too, if your at a smaller gym the guys all tend to be more helpful and talkative. My gym is MASSIVE and the crowds can be too if you dont know when to go. I always go later at night when nobody is there

9. Member
      05-11-2010 08:00 PM #2759
      My gym is small in size, cheap as heck, and growing with casual exercisers.
      Pro - keeps membership cheap at $15/mo.
      Con - more crowds, longer lines at the squat rack, no camaraderie

I'd love to try Xiao's suggestion, but a smaller gym would probably be a lot more coin. We had that close-knit atmosphere at my Judo class, and it was great. But as for weight lifting, I'd sooner revisit my home gym plans.
      Last edited by Big M; 05-11-2010 at 08:02 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Z4, Cayenne S
      05-11-2010 08:27 PM #2760
      yeah, you get real close when you hug someone that much

11. 05-11-2010 09:25 PM #2761
      I don't like smaller gyms as much. In a big gym, I can get lost. I know no one, I don't appear to be interested in socializing so I'm left the hell alone. In a private gym, you have to know people and whether they want to or not, they're compelled to talk to you. The workouts take FOREVER. I've always found one to go to whenever I needed to do something serious or use a real bar/bench/rack. But I mind my own business and make sure that anyone ahead of me in a rotation that's running their mouth a bit too much is politely reminded that they should lift something soon. Then once I get my work over with I'll sit and BS. But generally, I find this is actually not always the greatest environment (mostly when I'm not trying to go for a max, where I need the atmosphere and quality equipment), as insane as it may seem

12. Member
      05-11-2010 09:43 PM #2762
      Quote Originally Posted by CTAC2003 View Post
      yeah, you get real close when you hug someone that much
      And we never make eye contact, so it's okay!

13. 05-11-2010 09:43 PM #2763
      The latest thing is no matter how late I go its friggen busy. And these people are just there to socialize and sit on machines and benches. And then start working out when you tell them to get off the machine. After they do one set they stop and continue talking again. Drives me insane!!!

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2002/volkswagen/jetta
      05-12-2010 12:19 AM #2764
      X2

Vehicles
      2015 Outback
      05-12-2010 12:35 PM #2765
      Jeff that place gets busy when it hits 5, but when i get in at 4 i can do what i need to and nobody is in my way.

Vehicles
      2004 Passat Variant
      05-12-2010 02:03 PM #2766
      I go at 4 and its still pretty bad. I get into work early just so I can. Lately I've been noticing a lot of 'workout zombies' milling around, taking up space - meaning people who show up and go through the motions - i.e. walking on the treadmill at 1mph, lat pull with minimal weight, leg extensions staring off into the distance. If you're not going to bring any type of intensity, why even bother?

17. 05-12-2010 06:53 PM #2767
      Quote Originally Posted by 20thAna3282 View Post
      Jeff that place gets busy when it hits 5, but when i get in at 4 i can do what i need to and nobody is in my way.
      I know, but I get out of work at 4:00, so I would be at the gym around 5. I go at friggen 8:30 and its still packed. I wish I never joined there.

Vehicles
      2015 Outback
      05-13-2010 10:12 AM #2768
      It was busy at 4 yesterday, I figure it's the college kids coming home causing the surge.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      05-13-2010 11:00 AM #2769
      Since the Chatty Cathys have been the topic of discussion lately, I did notice one particular Chatty Cathy. He's this short Asian kid that's been going to the gym for awhile now. First time I saw him he was like a pygmy sumo wrestler. He's really short (can't be over 5'2") and was a fat little thing. He's lost a considerable amount of weight since I've been going there, but he's still very much doughy without a lick of muscle. He talks to everyone all the time.

20. Geriatric Member firefighterjunkie's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '04 GTI and '03 Passat Wagon
      05-13-2010 01:03 PM #2770
      Guy in the DB section next to me is trying to help this chubby girl with working out. He is "spotting" her on her incline DB bench with 10lbs. I over heard him say to her "Once you have done about 200 repetitions of this weight, then you will move up to 15lbs." Oh dear. He obviously didn't mean do the reps all at once, but apparently she is going to be at the gym doing 10lbs for a couple months!

21. 05-13-2010 06:08 PM #2771
      Quote Originally Posted by 20thAna3282 View Post
      It was busy at 4 yesterday, I figure it's the college kids coming home causing the surge.
      That's strange because I went at 8:30 and it was dead.

My latest issue is broken equipment. You would figure a gym would have someone there fixing the machine or a new one waiting. And if someone didn't tell someone, they are douches.

Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      05-13-2010 09:16 PM #2772
      I trained today with someone besides my usual partner for the first time in...ever.

I ****ing hated it. I didn't get **** done, our conversation sounded like we were posting in this damn forum, I got encouraged, I hated it.

05-17-2010 06:39 PM #2773
      Today I witnessed two bros comparing abs. I also saw a guy squatting an load 405 on. Piqued my interest because I don't know if I have seen anyone else squat over 4. He proceeded to do 4" ROM squats x3.

24. 05-17-2010 07:58 PM #2774
      Quote Originally Posted by leakypipeDCI View Post
      Today I witnessed two bros comparing abs. I also saw a guy squatting an load 405 on. Piqued my interest because I don't know if I have seen anyone else squat over 4. He proceeded to do 4" ROM squats x3.
      You don't go to the gold's in Hagerstown do you? I saw the same 405 4" ROM squat today. The guy even made it a point to question why I wasn't ramping the weight for me squats. I threw out terms like 5x5 and starting strength, he proceeded to claim 5x5 can only be done with a spotter and ramping the weight. He even said "you won't gain any size from that cuz it's more of a powerlifting style". I understand the bodybuilding v powerlifting debate but seriously?

06-04-2010 02:24 PM #2775
      Literally thirty seconds after a heavy squat set and I'm trying to catch my breath, a guy walks up to me so I take out my earbuds.

Him: "Is there anything around I can stand on and do hamstrings?"
      Me: "When I need a bench I usually just grab one of the aerobic steps down in the hallway."
      Him: "ok"

Ten minutes later.......

He walks up to me again, earbuds out.

Him: "Do you know where the calf machine is?"
      Me: "I have no ****ing clue. You could use the leg press for calf work."
      Him: "No, I want on of the calf machines where you stand up" walks off

Ten minutes later.......

He walks up to me again, earbuds out.

Him: "Do you know where the leg extension machine is?"
      Me: bertstare.jpg
      Him: "It was around here somewhere."
      Me: bertstare.jpg
      Guy wanders off

I guess I was the gym directory that day

Page 111 of 193 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161 ... LastLast