Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 111 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
    Results 3,851 to 3,885 of 4643

Thread: what grinds your gears at the gym?

07-10-2012 01:51 PM #3851
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Do they play sweet power ballads while you work out in montage form?
      That would be baddass !

- me -

Taking over 30 min to do my dead lifts last night.
      Not sure what I did to my back playing softball but it been two weeks now and it feels like I permently pulled an lower back / ass muscle .

Got to 465x5 and skipped the last set at 500

Everything else was fine thou

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      07-10-2012 11:26 PM #3852
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Do they play sweet power ballads while you work out in montage form?
      Actually at the end of the day at 8:50 they play a sweet guitar solo over the loudspeakers in the building and also outside in the athletic complex. It's the "finishing music".
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Vehicles
      VW GTI 20th AE BMP, 1978 VW Rabbit L
      07-13-2012 05:37 PM #3853
      This one dude at my gym has really been grinding my gears lately.

He starts off by coming to the gym already smelling like a bag of ass, and never wipes down equipment ever.

Yesterday he comes in and decides he will do one set of everything on every machine (his workout already sucks)and not wipe down one single machine.

Then he proceeds to wipe down ONE machine, only prior to using it and it was just as someone got off it and actually wiped down their machine.

So the only machine this guy will wipe down is BEFORE use and after someone just cleaned it.

I don't know if I should be 'that guy' and tell the gym staff, cause it bugs the crap out of me.
      Buy My Things!
      Buy My 20th!
      What She Order?
      ლ(•益•ლ) Why you no buy my stuff!?
      78 HÄRE

Vehicles
      Hertz Gold + Rewards
      07-13-2012 07:00 PM #3854
      Saw my 1st full size iPad in the gym yesterday. She was freakin' hot too! Put in her earbuds and was SO oblivious to those around her. She did her rump shakin' cardio first browsin' da webs.

And then...it happened.

There she is sitting...on a bench. The bench press bench!

While online shopping for ladies accessories.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kyle C
      The world runs on marketing, and in the case of winter tires Subaru has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that any round, rubber-ish object that holds a bit of air and passes as a tire will get you through the snow just fine, but only if it is attached to a vehicle with AWD/4WD.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      07-13-2012 11:15 PM #3855
      ^^ Was she in anyone's way? I don't mind asking people to move. If they get pissy, then eff 'em. I'm still going to insist they move so I can work out.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      07-14-2012 05:36 AM #3856
      Hell no man, I got to the gym to shop for ladies underwear on the Internet with my iPad. You can't interrupt that just because you want to bench press on the bench that I'm using as a desk!
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      07-14-2012 05:54 AM #3857
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

07-15-2012 11:54 PM #3858
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Niceguy View Post
      found out yesterday upon arrival that the gym is closed for the week for a "remodel" the pains of being illiterate...
      well thankfully they did not get rid of the free weights, laid down the rubber flooring stuff over the chrome diamond plate in an area, all new machines, two new bench press racks and an extra new squat rack (to bring it to two!).

Of course they replaced all of the weights with brand new ones in kg increments, so I have to relearn what weights to use. The barbell weights are now round instead of hexagonal , but have metal sleeves inside where they go over the bar (and they got rid of the barbell collars) so they love to slide off the barbell , and none are a big enough diameter to do deadlifts with But hey! all of the cardio machines now have a tv attached to them

Only have two more weeks of this nonsense before I move back to the states and find a good, no frills gym (seattle area if anyone knows of one?)

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      07-16-2012 09:52 AM #3859
      Don't all plates have metal sleeves in the center where the bar goes in?

I don't get the lack of collars though. They exist for one reason, and one reason only: Safety.

You'd imagine a gym would have overall safety as their number one priority.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      07-16-2012 10:05 AM #3860
      Quote Originally Posted by kryptonik View Post

I don't get the lack of collars though. They exist for one reason, and one reason only: Safety.

I only use them sometimes when I bench press with the bar. Lately been doing dumbbell presses though. When I squat and dead lift I feel so stable and with such a wide stance that the bar has never even hinted at tilting enough for the plates to slide off. Not trying to be a rock star, mostly just laziness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      07-16-2012 11:47 AM #3861
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      I only use them sometimes when I bench press with the bar. Lately been doing dumbbell presses though. When I squat and dead lift I feel so stable and with such a wide stance that the bar has never even hinted at tilting enough for the plates to slide off. Not trying to be a rock star, mostly just laziness.
      To each their own. It takes me a combined total of maybe 30 seconds to on/off the collars, for my entire workout, each day. I'd rather be safe, than sorry. Never know when something may happen. Plus, the safety isn't just for myself. I would hate to have something happen, and lose half the weight on my squat, and have the bar catapult itself into the people near by.

Though, I do some what understand it on bench, if you're benching alone.

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 12:29 PM #3862
      To each their own. It takes me a combined total of maybe 30 seconds to on/off the collars, for my entire workout, each day. I'd rather be safe, than sorry. Never know when something may happen. Plus, the safety isn't just for myself. I would hate to have something happen, and lose half the weight on my squat, and have the bar catapult itself into the people near by.

Though, I do some what understand it on bench, if you're benching alone.
      maybe im doing something wrong, but when i deadlift heavy i notice the places can move an inch or two. i mean its not enough to where they'd slide off completely, but i started using collars so that the plates stay on better. it also reduces noise when the plates hit the floor.

my gears havent been grinding in a while cuz im pretty sure everyone gave up on being in shape for summer. gym has been DEAD.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      07-16-2012 12:38 PM #3863
      Quote Originally Posted by kimlin85 View Post
      my gears havent been grinding in a while cuz im pretty sure everyone gave up on being in shape for summer. gym has been DEAD.
      Yeah same here. My gym doesn't have A/C so everyone just completely gave up, but the local school district had some event there and when I came in there were about 4,000 junior high school boys outside the door to the gym room. When I went in there they all started pressing against the glass and looking between the cracks in the door at me. The glass is frosted so it looked like a scene from a zombie movie with dozens of handprints all over the doors pressing in. It really freaked me the f out, weird asian kids.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      07-16-2012 12:59 PM #3864
      Pretty weird. My gym has been a bit busier than normal.

I'm really not excited for what will happen when all the students return for the fall semester. May be time to check out a new gym.

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      07-16-2012 01:27 PM #3865
      maybe im doing something wrong, but when i deadlift heavy i notice the places can move an inch or two. i mean its not enough to where they'd slide off completely, but i started using collars so that the plates stay on better. it also reduces noise when the plates hit the floor.

Same here. One time the plates shifted on me and I didn't realize it, so when I racked the bar and started taking plates off one side, the bar tipped over to the side where the plates shifted and made a racket.

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      07-16-2012 02:03 PM #3866
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Niceguy View Post
      Only have two more weeks of this nonsense before I move back to the states and find a good, no frills gym (seattle area if anyone knows of one?)
      I have been enjoying 24hr Fitness.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

07-16-2012 09:16 PM #3867

really? I would swear every set I've ever used were rubber coated all the way around... I didn't really have any issue with the weights sliding around on my bench and rows yesterday, but when I was unracking the bar for squats they were sliding all over, which was putting a lot of weird side to side forces on my back that was not fun

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      07-16-2012 10:02 PM #3868
      Over heard this one buck fifty High school dude to another today at the gym.

" Yo I scored that **** I was talkin about. You watch bro, I'm gonna be so F'n big next week bro, you watch, you watch, You'll see, You'll see. I mean so swole just watch bro."
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      07-16-2012 10:18 PM #3869
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      Over heard this one buck fifty High school dude to another today at the gym.

" Yo I scored that **** I was talkin about. You watch bro, I'm gonna be so F'n big next week bro, you watch, you watch, You'll see, You'll see. I mean so swole just watch bro."
      Next week as that kid walks in:

"Dayam bro, you're so swole!" [wrap your fingers around the smallest part of your wrist like a caliper, and them around his upper arms like a caliper] "Swole up to 13 f'n inches, fuuuuuuuuk"

20. 07-16-2012 10:41 PM #3870
      maybe im doing something wrong, but when i deadlift heavy i notice the places can move an inch or two. i mean its not enough to where they'd slide off completely, but i started using collars so that the plates stay on better. it also reduces noise when the plates hit the floor. .
      Nah that's just how it is when you dead, plates move around alot. It's weird though when I was younger I would freak out about plates sliding around, now when I snatch or c&J we rarely use collars and a plate will be 5-6 inches down the sleeve and I won't even notice or feel a difference. Then sometimes I'll be coaching a total noob and I'll forget to tell them to put a collar on and the bar will nearly go flying because their pull is so imbalanced

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      07-17-2012 07:00 AM #3871
      Rope jumpers.

There are two new kids (guessing summer interns?) who do power sets of rope jumping. When one is jumping, the other is on some various machine, then they swap. It's timed such that there is hardly a break in the "tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick". And they do this very near to the dumbbell rack. So awesome.

Also, maybe I'm wrong here, but the mats on the floor are for stretching, no? There's another new guy who does his "lifting" there. It's a weird like lunge with a plate held in front of him with a 90 degree twist of the upper body as he rises and falls into the lunge? Not sure what it's doing exactly. But I wish he'd use open floor space for it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

Vehicles
      Hertz Gold + Rewards
      07-17-2012 02:44 PM #3872
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      ^^ Was she in anyone's way? I don't mind asking people to move. If they get pissy, then eff 'em. I'm still going to insist they move so I can work out.

It was packed.

Not that she noticed much.
      The world runs on marketing, and in the case of winter tires Subaru has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that any round, rubber-ish object that holds a bit of air and passes as a tire will get you through the snow just fine, but only if it is attached to a vehicle with AWD/4WD.

23. 07-19-2012 02:55 PM #3873
      We made this vid as a little tribute to our clients and the stupid **** they do and say.

24. 07-19-2012 07:45 PM #3874
      Today, I was setting up for deadlifts. Behind me, "Strong Biceps Strong Mind!" guy on the hack squat apparatus was pumping up his buddy with his "only you can break through mediocrity!" speech.

I picked up my stuff and moved to a different spot. That kinda **** just blows my concentration.

Last time I did deadlifts, some guy helped himself to my chalk. That's fine... it's not like it's a huge expense or anything, but he chalked up to do seated calf raises.
      OSD #26 - "Because he's thirsty... Dummy."

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      07-20-2012 01:52 AM #3875
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      We made this vid as a little tribute to our clients and the stupid **** they do and say.

Annoying... but tolerable.

Yesterday was "staring" day and these 3 junior high school students sat down on the mat right next to me and just openly stared through 3 different exercises. They weren't even pretending to stretch. Then some big mongolian bbq looking mofo comes in and stares at me the entire time he's walking through, sits down and starts stretching openly staring at me. So I turn around and give the guy 'the look' to let him know it's rude to stare, and he just keeps looking! I guess in Asia staring means you want to be my friend, but where I'm from it's either a sign of aggression or you want to suck my dick. Next time I'm just going to whip it out for him.

26. 07-20-2012 09:18 AM #3876
      oh there is no doubt I've got it real ****in good.

Vehicles
      Hertz Gold + Rewards
      07-20-2012 03:13 PM #3877
      Quote Originally Posted by wagenbob View Post
      Last time I did deadlifts, some guy helped himself to my chalk. That's fine... it's not like it's a huge expense or anything, but he chalked up to do seated calf raises.

Vehicles
      Hertz Gold + Rewards
      07-20-2012 03:42 PM #3878
      Ran into the squat rack hog/bad boy yesterday (leg day). Shirtless, ear buds, tatted Napoleon and did every d*#! exercise in the world...on the squat rack!

I did an extra 20 min cardio sorta waiting after jogging over there. There is only one *gasp* rack at this gym, so I grabbed a bench press barbell and did my full squats & stiff leg lifts on the open floor near the maintenance doors. Then I did the leg press next to him for a while. Then leg ext & curls on machines. Then abs. He was still there!

When I left after an hour and a half he was doing shrugs of a bizarre sort.

29. 07-21-2012 09:52 PM #3879
      i need to bring a camera to the gym some time. Friday most of the gym watched this guy do pull ups where he kicked his legs up wildly, sometimes hitting the glass wall directly in front of the rack with the bottoms of his feet. It was super awkward looking. Then he moves to do some clean and jerk like things, does a few sets, drops the bar behind twice making all kinds of racket, then clears the bar and pinches his finger somehow between a weight and the ground. He bleeds everywhere and just leaves nonchalantly and doesn't come back to clean it up. dick.

Also watched two high schoolers come in and put like 400lbs up on squat, except that they only barely bend their knees. They preen around and bump chests. I told one to try going parallel or below parallel, that the pros do it that way. One tries and the weight pins him as soon as his knees bend a bit and he collapses with the weight falling on the safety bar. He looks back at me all mad that i played him. Then they go back to doing the same weight but barely bending. tards

Vehicles
      Hertz Gold + Rewards
      07-22-2012 05:33 PM #3880
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      Then stop using machines.
      Done, tried it for the past 2 weeks! Came in here lookin' to make the jump to the next level...so it all kinda worked out. FWIW: Had been doing something similar to the "Body For Life" plan over the past year+. It included some free weights most days, but only 1 set/body part/day.

So after the July 4th weekend I tried 2 weeks of nothing but free weights!

Cliffs: It kicked my butt from head to toe!

Why it kicked my butt cliffs? I went from doing 1 set/8-12 reps of an exercise twice a week...to doing 5 sets/body part/day. So, the 1st set was cake, but by sets 2-3 of the same body part, my body would shut down. It was awesome!

After a full week of it I was SO sore...in a good & very different way. My weights were humbling, but I was definitely learning and wanting to keep good form. The 2nd week was better and the learning continued and I'd almost swear I noticed some progress.

In short, can definitely recommend if you feel you have plateau'd. For me it was the next step I needed. Thanks Spoolin & Chilled!

P.S. Should I bother mentioning that my "free" routine does include Spooly faves like Dumbbell flyes, Leg Extension, Leg Flexion, seated calf raises & standing calf raises?

07-28-2012 03:27 PM #3881

Knee wraps to bench on the smith machine lol

07-28-2012 04:24 PM #3882
      my gym is in my garage so not much bothers me there.

however i ride on a bike path 4 days a week and run on the same path the other 3 and i can't ****ing stand when people insist in running/biking on the wrong side of the trail and think they can play chicken with me when i am rolling up on them at speed.

this aint japan or australia mother****ers get on the right side of the path like the rest of the ****ing population of this country.

33. Member
      07-28-2012 05:20 PM #3883
      New job, new office gym. This one is worse than the last

It has a bike, 2 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, the most awkward universal station I've ever seen, and a punching bag. Atleast the last one had a proper bar, plates, dumbells, and a pull-up bar.
      Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      07-30-2012 07:44 PM #3884
      this video is pretty funny, just about sums up this thread. 12 things not to do in a gym.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPfbX...eature=related
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

Vehicles
      Hertz Gold + Rewards
      08-02-2012 03:46 PM #3885
      ^

Was closed a full week for "annual maintenance"!!

Page 111 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast