Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 112 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast
    Results 3,886 to 3,920 of 4655

Thread: what grinds your gears at the gym?

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      08-03-2012 03:02 PM #3886
      Since my gym is always pretty empty, the only thing that really bothers me is when I come in and there's someone using the squat rack for something other than squats. Today was shoulder shrugs. The kid had like 225 on there, did three reps, then pulled a plate off each side and let them slam on the floor for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      08-03-2012 03:12 PM #3887
      A few recent ones.

Dudes squatting like 250+ but only going down about a few inches (not to mention putting the safety stop above elbow height). They look over at me only squatting 180, but going past parallel. They look at me with a smirk, then they try to go deeper only to start wobbling like a spaghetti noodle once they go NEAR 45 degrees then go back up. I just laugh.

Another along those lines. A group of high school kids were doing overhead presses with one foot WAAAAY out in front of the other and with around 135+ on the bar, but their arms weren't doing ANYTHING...their whole torso was going down while the bar stayed pretty much exactly in the same position. I had to bite my tongue so hard not to laugh.

I'll take form over heavy any day.
      Don't like something? Report it. We can't be everywhere at all times.

08-03-2012 05:37 PM #3888

415 and the safety bars at chin height lol

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      08-03-2012 05:48 PM #3889
      ^^ Looks more like shin height unless you have power racks that are twenty feet tall.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

08-03-2012 09:11 PM #3890
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      ^^ Looks more like shin height unless you have power racks that are twenty feet tall.
      It's at least 12' since I can't jump and reach the top......
      I will get s photo tomorrow with me standing next to it .

That and the crazy squat machine next to it that's 10' tall lol

Vehicles
      Nissan Pathfinder 4.0l. KTM 250 XC
      08-03-2012 11:48 PM #3891
      Quote Originally Posted by Big M View Post
      New job, new office gym. This one is worse than the last

It has a bike, 2 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, the most awkward universal station I've ever seen, and a punching bag. Atleast the last one had a proper bar, plates, dumbells, and a pull-up bar.
      Ha! A punching bag in an office gym is brilliant. I bet that has saved alot of peoples jobs.
      Corrado: because I always wanted to get heckled by elitist pricks over the internet.

Vehicles
      MKVI GTI, carbon steel gray, manual, sunroof/nav
      08-05-2012 03:12 PM #3892
      Ran into a total ****ing idiot ******* today at the gym. Guy was doing a circuit monopolizing every station in the gym. I've never seen the gym in such a mess. Weights everywhere, kettlebells all over the floor. He's rapping along to his headphones. He looked like he was on cocaine running back and forth to each station. Yelling and psyching himself up before each lift. I asked him how many sets he had left in the rack, he told me 4. 4 sets later he's still going. I was pressed for time today, had to be in and out in 45 minutes, I just said ****it and left because I was getting ragey. I hope that ******* dies.

8. 08-06-2012 12:58 PM #3893
      Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
      A group of high school kids were doing overhead presses with one foot WAAAAY out in front of the other and with around 135+ on the bar, but their arms weren't doing ANYTHING...their whole torso was going down while the bar stayed pretty much exactly in the same position. I had to bite my tongue so hard not to laugh.
      Sounds like an OH lunge?
      Quote Originally Posted by MotownSVT View Post
      There's a larger collective IQ in the load I blew down the shower drain this morning than behind the counter at any Starbucks within a 10-mile radius of my house.

08-08-2012 08:53 AM #3894

More like leg year

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      08-08-2012 09:25 AM #3895
      Awwww someone has no friends.
      Last edited by Rob Cote; 08-08-2012 at 09:28 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

Vehicles
      2007 GTI, 2005 TSX
      08-08-2012 09:46 AM #3896
      I cannot imagine being the poor bastard for which this meme was created.

'Round these parts, we call that "The Michigan Build", or "built like a tree".

08-08-2012 09:21 PM #3897
      Quarter squats with chains with 4 plates

LoL

I even asked what he though the chains did off the ground .

" help work your core "

Dumbass

08-08-2012 09:34 PM #3898
      I posted that picture above in the funny picture thread in the OT forum. Someone said the guy is an Iraq veteran who was in a wheelchair for a good amount of time stemming from an injury he suffered while over there. This picture was taken shortly after he was up walking again.

No idea if it's true, but it was mentioned.

14. 08-08-2012 10:21 PM #3899
      There is an old guy and his young son that go to my gym. I'm cordial with them and he asks me for pointers and stuff. I'm glad to see him doing squats and such, but it pains me to see his dad teaching him LOUSY

the kid is MAYBE 17 and about 95lbs and he's proud of his 225 squat....but I would be surprised if he's going even a 1/4 way down. The kid is young and receptive to learning, but I'm definitely not going to tell him his dad is teaching him **** form.

just a bit frustrating to see someone so young, who is actually DOING squats, and he's not doing 1/4 squats because he's a wuss or an idiot, he's actively being taught that...by his father.

08-09-2012 08:39 AM #3900
      Quote Originally Posted by VDubby18 View Post
      I posted that picture above in the funny picture thread in the OT forum. Someone said the guy is an Iraq veteran who was in a wheelchair for a good amount of time stemming from an injury he suffered while over there. This picture was taken shortly after he was up walking again.

That might be correct for that one person there ...... but all the different gyms I go to there cant be that many guys coming back from war that had lower body injuries .....

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      08-09-2012 10:07 AM #3901
      Quote Originally Posted by ::xander:: View Post
      There is an old guy and his young son that go to my gym. I'm cordial with them and he asks me for pointers and stuff. I'm glad to see him doing squats and such, but it pains me to see his dad teaching him LOUSY

the kid is MAYBE 17 and about 95lbs and he's proud of his 225 squat....but I would be surprised if he's going even a 1/4 way down. The kid is young and receptive to learning, but I'm definitely not going to tell him his dad is teaching him **** form.

just a bit frustrating to see someone so young, who is actually DOING squats, and he's not doing 1/4 squats because he's a wuss or an idiot, he's actively being taught that...by his father.
      I normally keep to my self but I just had to correct this one kid doing squats on the smith machine. He had his feet positioned BEHIND the bar, it hurt my back just watching. The dad went to the bathroom so I used that opportunity to help him. He said to me "thanks, I thought it didn't feel right."
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

08-09-2012 10:38 AM #3902

lol. come on now. you missed the part on the same page where the pic was posted of the woman pushing a stroller on her segway with the caption of "america, this is why its fat". then someone explained (with links to prove) that she lost her leg to cancer and the segway helps her get around.

in this case it was just someone being facetious. it ain't true.

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      09-21-2012 03:32 PM #3903
      If you're not squatting, deadlifting or benching over 200 lbs, odds are your limiting factors aren't how much you're extending your hips, your foot pronation or the amount of arch in your set up.

While technical knowledge is important, a lot of the fine details sort themselves out as you become more familiar with the weight. Beginners debating differences in technique written by experienced trainees is not time well spent.

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      09-21-2012 03:58 PM #3904
      Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      a lot of the fine details sort themselves out as you become more familiar with the weight. Beginners debating differences in technique written by experienced trainees is not time well spent.
      YESSSSSS! Also, do what feels right.
      When i'm lookin' to get er to spread 'em I usually just throw copious amounts of alcohol at the situation.

Vehicles
      BMP .:R32 Supercharged , '13 CC (POS)
      09-22-2012 03:57 AM #3905
      Quote Originally Posted by ultimate steve View Post
      Ran into a total ****ing idiot ******* today at the gym. Guy was doing a circuit monopolizing every station in the gym. I've never seen the gym in such a mess. Weights everywhere, kettlebells all over the floor. He's rapping along to his headphones. He looked like he was on cocaine running back and forth to each station. Yelling and psyching himself up before each lift. I asked him how many sets he had left in the rack, he told me 4. 4 sets later he's still going. I was pressed for time today, had to be in and out in 45 minutes, I just said ****it and left because I was getting ragey. I hope that ******* dies.

Im still currently deployed to the 'Stan. I travel a lot within theater for my job and i visit various Gyms along the way. I See This **** above more than i would like. Another variation to this is a group of 4 dudes get on 4 different machines or cables, etc. All they do for an hour is rotate each others machine out.

I ask how many sets one of them has on the cables and he says 32. WTF do u mean 32! This **** just pisses me off to to avail. its not like the gyms here are shotty but its not like in the states where you may have more than one machine or rack to do something on.

Watching Football on the TV in a gaggle while slowly lifting (while watching the game)

Dude lifting standing up laying their towel and water bottle on the Bench, refusing anyone use the bench to avoid having to hold their towel so it doesnt sit on the floor. YOU have got to be KIDDING ME.

Not wiping down equipment when ur sweating buckets.

Doing Flys on the cables, standing... dude comes up behind me and attempts to do pull ups on the handle bars ABOVE me thinking this is OK. Then proceeds to get an attitude when i call him out. How ****ing inconsiderate do u have to be.

That sums it up for this week

21. 09-24-2012 10:17 PM #3906
      Today, of the three racks where I can squat, one was legitimately occupied by a guy doing SLDL. The other two? One had two bros full body curling 115 (with positive affirmation and assist on every rep, as well as wrist straps), and the other rack was occupied with a guy doing 95 pound behind the back shrugs. Awesome.
      OSD #26 - "Because he's thirsty... Dummy."

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      09-24-2012 10:57 PM #3907
      What doesn't grind my gears is when a dude comes up to me after I just cleaned up after dead lifting and says, "Hey, I think you're the only one in here who also dead lifts." And I find out he's just back from a broken hand and he's making an excellent recovery. Very positive dude. Rock on.

Vehicles
      1998 VW VR6 GTI (owned) 2000 Audi A6 2.7T (ownde), 1996 Miata (current)
      09-24-2012 11:08 PM #3908
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      What doesn't grind my gears is when a dude comes up to me after I just cleaned up after dead lifting and says, "Hey, I think you're the only one in here who also dead lifts." And I find out he's just back from a broken hand and he's making an excellent recovery. Very positive dude. Rock on.
      Last few times I've gone I've had some guys I know ask me if I ever do anything other than deadlift and squat. They only see me on leg and back day. and a few months back I had a guy give me a round of applause and yell out "nice to see someone do some real squats instead of that half ass ****."

I don't lift heavy but I do focus really hard on keeping good form.

09-25-2012 12:02 AM #3909
      I'm sure it has been posted in this topic over and over, but this is my first post here.

The one biggest thing that pisses me off to no end is not racking the weights after you are done. Such a stupid thing to be guilty of because if you can take em off you can put em back. Unless you are just too damn swole to bend your ass over and pick the **** up off the floor. Maybe that's the reason...

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      09-25-2012 06:38 AM #3910
      Unless you are just too damn swole to bend your ass over and pick the **** up off the floor. Maybe that's the reason...
      I dunno man, my back was super tight yesterday when I was finished and I still managed to pick up 390lbs worth of plates and put them away...

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      09-26-2012 01:12 PM #3911
      The one biggest thing that pisses me off to no end is not racking the weights after you are done. Such a stupid thing to be guilty of because if you can take em off you can put em back. Unless you are just too damn swole to bend your ass over and pick the **** up off the floor. Maybe that's the reason...
      That bugs me to no end as well. And when they do put them back, they never put them back in the right place.
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Vehicles
      01 M5, 62 GMC Stepside, 65 Baja Beetle (in progress) 85 Scirocco
      09-26-2012 05:04 PM #3912
      Why do people use wrist wraps for everything? I saw a guy use them to do dips!

28. 09-26-2012 06:56 PM #3913
      If you're not squatting, deadlifting or benching over 200 lbs, odds are your limiting factors aren't how much you're extending your hips, your foot pronation or the amount of arch in your set up.

While technical knowledge is important, a lot of the fine details sort themselves out as you become more familiar with the weight. Beginners debating differences in technique written by experienced trainees is not time well spent.
      I U

Vehicles
      13 Si, 07 Speed Triple
      09-27-2012 12:51 AM #3914
      I am pretty lovable aren't I. I can't tell you the number of times I've watched people not even moving bodyweight debating how much they need to push their hips through the deadlift or whether or not their stance is wide enough for their squat.

It's kind of like the seminar I recently took on Olympic lifting. It was awesome to learn about bar path, body lean, etc. but I'm capable of applying that to my lifting. The problem is half the people there were barely moving recognizable weight. They need to learn how to just generate force in a relatively appropriate direction. The rest is pretty much wasted.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      09-27-2012 01:00 AM #3915
      One time I didn't put away my weights. It was right after I pulled a muscle.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

31. 09-27-2012 10:40 AM #3916
      I am pretty lovable aren't I. I can't tell you the number of times I've watched people not even moving bodyweight debating how much they need to push their hips through the deadlift or whether or not their stance is wide enough for their squat.

It's kind of like the seminar I recently took on Olympic lifting. It was awesome to learn about bar path, body lean, etc. but I'm capable of applying that to my lifting. The problem is half the people there were barely moving recognizable weight. They need to learn how to just generate force in a relatively appropriate direction. The rest is pretty much wasted.
      Same here. So tired of these coach types overwhelming newbies with info, when they're barely strong/coordinated enough to stand up straight. I once saw a teen start to cry because he was so frustrated. The guy was teaching him to squat - knees out, arch your back, no the lower back, sit back, chest up, elbows forward, head up, no knees out, no arch your back, get your head up. He was so hopelessly confused that he forgot to lift the weight. I had to leave because the guy's kind of my friend and I was about to get rude.

To me, that just shows that the person has no idea what they're doing either. Most of these people can't lift **** themselves and I'm sorry but that matters (not referring to you, just to the people who think that their ability in what they preach is irrelevant to their coaching value). I've found that most of what I've heard or read about training is crap and you can't find that out until you've yourself figured out what it takes to get to the next level, and it's not box squats, speed benches, periodization, westside for retards, anyone's principle or how hardcore they scream.

I've come to the conclusion that the only value of a coach in strength training is to motivate the trainee to bust their ass and lift heavy weights, ensuring they do it in a way that is unlikely to hurt them. Then they should have enough experience to know all of the variables that they could systematically attempt to change to see what ends up working best for THIS person.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      09-27-2012 10:54 AM #3917
      "westside for retards" is probably the funniest thing I've read in this forum in a long time.

10-09-2012 07:43 PM #3918
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      I dunno man, my back was super tight yesterday when I was finished and I still managed to pick up 600lbs worth of plates and put them away...
      fixed

When you go to golds gym and there dumbells stop at 100pds

WTF am supposed to do with that ?

single arm rows 3 x 20 with 100 pd ..... yeah yeah meathead problems

Vehicles
      06A3 & 97TJ
      10-09-2012 09:21 PM #3919
      Hold two in one hand like a boss.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      10-10-2012 09:38 AM #3920
      Quote Originally Posted by Chilledman View Post

When you go to golds gym and there dumbells stop at 100pds

WTF am supposed to do with that ?

single arm rows 3 x 20 with 100 pd ..... yeah yeah meathead problems
      Do them with your chest supported. Or, use a barbell. Or, use a tricep bar, and regular plates.

Definitely meathead problems.

Page 112 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122 ... LastLast