Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 134 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: what grinds your gears at the gym?

Vehicles
      Is300
      01-06-2009 09:38 AM #106
      Quote, originally posted by leakypipeDCI »
      I made a new pal today. We will call him Greasy Russian.

Thank you, Greasy Russian, for inspiring me.

You glared at me and sneered because a had 185 on the bar and you loaded 315.

You did three sets of 2ish. I did 9x3.

You didn't get the bar below six inches from your chest. Not only did my bar touch my chest, it paused there and then exploded upward.

Your bar looked like a see saw going up. My bar was level all the way up.

I take pride in knowing I can lift more than 97% of the people that have memberships to my gym. I despise you, Greasy Russian.

And because of that, you inspire me.

had one of those at my gym, lets call him '5 foot 4 butterball that works out once a week and its only benching'

while grunting and staring everyone down, with the form that youve decribed, he bends his back into an upside down U while repping 300+ for 1-2. nice

Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

2. 01-06-2009 10:35 AM #107
      Well i must chime in again. Since i am a relative newb to the gym scene since my runnning injury has forced me inside this is my first new years experience.
      So without further explaining...
      -cardio machines were packed and i could not get an upright bike for 30 min. Noticed two 20's somethings in wife beaters watching girls walk by while they both had burned 140 calories in 22 min. on the bike and neither were sweating at all.
      -several out of shape mid 40's men doing db rows leaning on the db rack looking in the mirror. "proceeded to cut them off while reaching around them to get to the db's i needed.
      -Saw a guy wearing straight up way to tight work out clothes from at least 1984 and had a sweat band on looking full effect early 80's bruce jenner.
      -Got denied working in several times with on looking at me like i had a third eye for asking politely. Then proceed to say well i am tired anyway.. just take it in a huff...
      Ah.. man i miss running alone in the woods with no people around. No wonder i liked it so much.
      hopefully things will die down a bit tonight.. if it's this crowded i will have to skip the evenings and only go mornings. How long does this phenomena normally last?
      -jess

Modified by fowvaydriver at 10:39 AM 1-6-2009

3. 01-06-2009 10:38 AM #108
      this is what grinds my gears:

people that don't lift heavy weights, looking down on other people who lift WAY MORE weight but have less than perfect form.

01-06-2009 11:35 AM #109
      There is less than perfect, and there is not even close.
      It's all about squats and deads.

Vehicles
      '97 Passat w/ V, '02 Jetta w/ T
      01-06-2009 11:39 AM #110
      Getting told by a "trainer" not to kill myself because I'm struggling on my very last rep of my very last set of an exercise. I laughed and went on to my next exercise.

I also saw a guy working out in his work clothes. Dress pants, button down shirt, dress socks, and dress shoes.

My gears are also grinded by "The Wanderer". He/she is the person who does one set and then gets up and walks around for 10 mins while leaving all their sh*t on the bench/machine, reserving it for their next huge embarassing failure.

Daily Driven

Whatta you lookin at butthead

6. 01-06-2009 11:58 AM #111
      the loud ass foot stomper on the treadmill...sounds like he is running with flippers on, always breaks my concentration

that guy video...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...edded

Modified by vwcampbell at 12:00 PM 1-6-2009

7. 01-06-2009 01:58 PM #112
      usually because the person is out of shape... good for them to be running and correcting that.. but bad for those who crossed that road long ago...
      -headphones

Quote, originally posted by vwcampbell »
      the loud ass foot stomper on the treadmill...sounds like he is running with

Vehicles
      mk5 2.5 rabbit
      01-06-2009 03:40 PM #113
      the new years res people usually last about 2 to 4 weeks, this is when people WANT to see results and when nothing changes they just give up.
      they think that when they exercise morning afternoon or night they can still eat anything and everything they want. so nothing changes. by feb the gyms will be back to the normals with a few that stick it out.

9. 01-06-2009 04:33 PM #114
      Last year the resolutioners lasted until about March. I hope they die out quicker this year cuz last night was super-packed. They also can't park for ****. Once again, the amazing paradox of being too lazy to walk a few dozen yards farther to get to the gym.

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      01-06-2009 04:51 PM #115
      Quote, originally posted by vwcampbell »
      the loud ass foot stomper on the treadmill...sounds like he is running with flippers on, always breaks my concentration

that guy video...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...edded

lol at vid...i'm def. machine lurker-ish...I usually signal to the guy that just walked away that i want to use the machine/weights while he's resting. I just hate when someone leaves their towel like it's their claim to the equipment, only to be doing some other exercise.

Same kind of concept is the the guys that leave their gym bags on the benches in the locker room. If I have to put my shoes on, your bag is going on the ground.

Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      2006 GTi, 2012 GMC Terrain
      01-06-2009 04:52 PM #116
      Quote, originally posted by SpiffyGTI »
      Last year the resolutioners lasted until about March. I hope they die out quicker this year cuz last night was super-packed. They also can't park for ****. Once again, the amazing paradox of being too lazy to walk a few dozen yards farther to get to the gym.

At my gym last year they lasted till about mid-Feb.

Any woman who thinks the way to a man's heart is through his stomach is aiming about 10 inches too high.
      ~Adrienne E. Gusoff

Ultimate Fire Protection

Vehicles
      01-06-2009 05:10 PM #117
      Quote, originally posted by SpiffyGTI »
      They also can't park for ****. Once again, the amazing paradox of being too lazy to walk a few dozen yards farther to get to the gym.

QFT. they will park illegally just to be closer, then run on a treadmill.

you know what my gym uses to attract resolutioners? a giant "BOOT CAMP" sign out front.

Vehicles
      mk5 2.5 rabbit
      01-06-2009 07:06 PM #118
      im so happy i only go to a big gym like 24 after 8pm or a weekend trip, my gyms local town gym everyone i see is always the same, cept for a few new people cause trainers need to get paid to.

its the American mind set when it comes to parking anywhere, me ill park in the back less people to deal with and less accidents happening to my car.

14. 01-06-2009 07:40 PM #119
      There is less than perfect, and there is not even close.

my point is that why does it matter?

it's just as bad as the guy who lifts more making fun of someone else for not lifting a lot of weight.

01-06-2009 07:50 PM #120
      Quote, originally posted by ::xander:: »

it's just as bad as the guy who lifts more making fun of someone else for not lifting a lot of weight.

Yeah, but my point was that I can lift just as much as the other guy, but with better form and it pissed me off because he was giving me dirty looks.

16. 01-06-2009 07:52 PM #121

I agree. Do whatever you want in the gym, but the guys who usually lift way more weight than they can "handle" with good form are the same ones to stare down everyone else and walk around with their arms out wide and chest puffed up like they are tough sh!t.

17. 01-06-2009 07:54 PM #122

Yeah, but my point was that I can lift just as much as the other guy, but with better form and it pissed me off because he was giving me dirty looks.

hypocrite.

why is he any worse than what you're doing? instead of giving him dirty looks you came on here to talk smack instead. it's the same thing.

01-06-2009 08:00 PM #123
      Ok, whatever you say.

19. 01-06-2009 08:02 PM #124

Vehicles
      01-06-2009 08:09 PM #125

hypocrite.

why is he any worse than what you're doing? instead of giving him dirty looks you came on here to talk smack instead. it's the same thing.

does that make us all hypocrites, including you? we've all complained about people in our gym, its the point of the thread.

21. 01-06-2009 08:12 PM #126
      Quote, originally posted by kimlin85 »

does that make us all hypocrites, including you? we've all complained about people in our gym, its the point of the thread.

making fun of someone for doing something stupid....that's funny.

making fun of someone while you do the same thing....less funny....except to me, I'm laughing.

Vehicles
      2.9L 24v twin turbo VR6 on a stand, 2002 S6 Avant
      01-06-2009 09:07 PM #127
      If you all want the thread to stay open, take the arguing to PM's.
      Driversport Will Never Die|| Dub Cult PM me for all your Fragola Fittings and Billy Boat Exhaust Needs!!!

The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #4

My Dead Build Thread

23. 01-06-2009 09:21 PM #128
      if Mr. Rictus was at the gym....he would grind my gears.

that sounded sexy.

Vehicles
      2.9L 24v twin turbo VR6 on a stand, 2002 S6 Avant
      01-06-2009 09:23 PM #129
      I signed up at a new gym today.

The guy who was getting my paperwork straightened up mentioned something about getting "toned".

I immediately thought of everyone on this forum and burst out laughing.

Driversport Will Never Die|| Dub Cult PM me for all your Fragola Fittings and Billy Boat Exhaust Needs!!!

The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #4

My Dead Build Thread

Vehicles
      01-06-2009 09:32 PM #130
      LOL when i signed up at my gym they have a survey you take. it asks why you are joining, choices being strength, lose weight, gain weight, and toning. i laughed at tone as well, but the guy working there did not laugh. i think he wants mad tone.

01-06-2009 10:23 PM #131
      Who doesn't? I asked Santa for tone, but that ******* let me down.

27. 01-07-2009 08:54 AM #132
      Maybe we need to get together and start a new gym called "tone"
      and maybe boot camp somewhere in there along with in only 15 minutes?
      we could be a marketing machine!!
      oh one more thing that drives me nuts since i am now a gym user...
      giant tv's playing the cooking channel. Nothing like killing myself on the bike or lifting weights and seeing a giant chicken breast frying in oil...
      maybe they should pump hamburger scent through the ventilation to drive us wild with food lust ecstasy?
      i think i am going to wear this to the gym from now on...
      http://www.rickysnyc.com/
      LOL when i signed up at my gym they have a survey you take. it asks why you are joining, choices being strength, lose weight, gain weight, and toning. i laughed at tone as well, but the guy working there did not laugh. i think he wants mad tone.

Vehicles
      '99 Cabrio, '05 S2000
      01-07-2009 09:14 AM #133
      Talking about the scents of food... A corndog place opened up in front of my gym, and now my gym reeks of deepfried corndogs and popcorn.
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Let's just say I like my women like I like my cars - fast, cheap, kinda ugly and beaten up, unreliable, dangerous, unwanted....
      4 coilpacks, 2 gearboxes and counting...

Vehicles
      01-07-2009 09:18 AM #134
      Quote, originally posted by WhitePoloCT »
      Talking about the scents of food... A corndog place opened up in front of my gym, and now my gym reeks of deepfried corndogs and popcorn.

do you ever see someone walking in w/a corndog in their hand?

Vehicles
      Family Truckster
      01-07-2009 09:31 AM #135
      New Year's Resolutionists Suck

I dont like battling for equipment, locker space, parking etc with people who work out for 4 weeks of the year.

1 3 4 5 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve"

Vehicles
      '97 Passat w/ V, '02 Jetta w/ T
      01-07-2009 09:52 AM #136
      Quote, originally posted by fowvaydriver »

oh one more thing that drives me nuts since i am now a gym user...
      giant tv's playing the cooking channel. Nothing like killing myself on the bike or lifting weights and seeing a giant chicken breast frying in oil...
      maybe they should pump hamburger scent through the ventilation to drive us wild with food lust ecstasy?

My gym has a suggestion box, and one of the suggestions made (by more than a few people) was to put the cooking channel on the TVs. I think the same thing you do. Although, when Giada is on, I'm not looking at the food

Daily Driven

Whatta you lookin at butthead

32. 01-07-2009 09:54 AM #137
      I will up you one! My golds is in a little strip shopping center and the only other two stores are...
      local pizza shop.. and a wings place!!! so when i go outiside in the evening i smell
      not only fresh bread baking but also chicken cooking..
      jeeze....

Quote, originally posted by WhitePoloCT »

33. 01-07-2009 09:55 AM #138
      this made me laugh...
      so wrong on many different levels

do you ever see someone walking in w/a corndog in their hand?

34. Senior Member ClockworkChad's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Is300
      01-07-2009 03:59 PM #139
      Why is it people watch the cooking channel at the gym, i cant watch that show without becoming immediatley starving.

my girlfriend goes to the planet fitness near her house once ever 2 months or whatever she feels like and called me yesterday ECSTATIC that she went there on pizza night.

when i laughed she said she only had 1 peice as opposed to last time when she had 3.

it grinds my gears that planet fitness taunts my girlfriend with pizza.

Ferrari Scuderia 2012 - "The people who speak badly about me then tremble and cry when they want to have their picture taken with me” - F. Alonso
      Now recruiting for IT/financial/accounting/creative services in fairfield county and metro nyc, pm if interested

35. 01-07-2009 04:09 PM #140

those whores!

Quote, originally posted by ClockworkChad »
      Why is it people watch the cooking channel at the gym, i cant watch that show without becoming immediatley starving.

my girlfriend goes to the planet fitness near her house once ever 2 months or whatever she feels like and called me yesterday ECSTATIC that she went there on pizza night.

when i laughed she said she only had 1 peice as opposed to last time when she had 3.

it grinds my gears that planet fitness taunts my girlfriend with pizza.

Page 4 of 134 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast