VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSG / Tiptronic Shifter conversion – DIY

Vehicles
      10 S4, 09 JSW, 08 A3
      12-26-2008 09:29 PM #1
      FROM STOCK:

TO ROCK:

The following is a DIY for swapping your DSG or Tiptronic shift knob, boot, & center plate with an OEM base and manual shift knob of your choice. The first part of these instructions are also applicable for shift knob removal projects such as the euro cup holder or A3/TT knob swap.

Variations also include just changing to an aftermarket manual knob and keeping the PRNDS plate, or to simply to swap the boot and keeping your big shiny button. To each their own, go big or go home.

If you decide to change to an alternate auto-knob it is important to note that if your shift button is on the SIDE, you must replace it with a OEM knob with a same-side button. If you’re shift button is on the FRONT, you must replace it with a OEM knob with a front-facing button.

FAQ for the haters:
      Question:
      This is dumb. Why didn’t you just get a manual?

Answer:
      This is a family car. My wife does not drive stick and I’m rarely sober enough to get behind the wheel.

Parts Needed:
      A car
      OEM Shift plate
      Full body Shift Boot
      SPP Tip Mod
      Shift knob of your choice

Tools Needed:
      Trim removal tool
      1.5mm Allen key
      Dremel (if applicable)

1. Start by pulling off the knob’s chrome cap.

2. Pull the interior plastic piece outward until you hear it unlock (there will be an audible click)

3.Pry up the shift plate with a trim removal tool (a credit card or tapered popsicle stick will work just fine)

4. Lift the entire assembly towards the dash. Deep on the left side you will see the lighting harness. Push in the small tab and disconnect.

5. There is an open black plastic cylinder that surrounds the shaft. Pull it upwards about a .25 inch until it unlocks (you will feel/hear the click).

6. The entire assembly is no ready for removal. Clench your teeth and pull the knob upwards. You will need to apply a significant amount of force to remove it. Place aside and entertain yourself with a phallic joke by making a stupid face and saying something juvenile like “Limp Shift”.

7. Prep the shift plate & boot. I used the Edition 30 assembly to match the red stitching on my ebrake and steering wheel, but any MKV OEM plate will work.

This picture shows the Tiptronic and Manual plates side-by-side. As you can see, the 6 tabs line up perfectly but you’ll need to get rid of some interference. Remove the plastic areas marked in red using a Dremel.

9. Prep the Knob. Look at that work of art. It’s like an Italian supermodel laying naked in a bed of red suede. Grease it up and make sweet love to it.

If you go MOMO like I did, you’ll most likely have to alter both the knob’s cavity TipMod itself. Here’s how:

File down the TipMod so it tapers toward the top... (note: it's upside down in this pic)

...while at the same time widening the far end in the shift knob’s cavity...

Go slow, check the fit often, and repeat until it slides completely inside. Once it’s in, you’ll also see I drilled a single hole for one of the Momo Knob’s screws to clasp.

10. Back to the interior. Cap the end of light harness using electrical tape and tuck it away.

11. Pop the plate into place. If it doesn’t fit with ease you may need to remove more of the inside plastic towards the bottom.

12. Cover the shaft with white lithium grease for a nice smooth component. Slide on the Tip Mod knob on tighten.There are also some helpful tips found here for optimizing the fit of the Tip mod.

13.You’re done. You can now play mind games with valets and the VW service department.

After the swap you will initially rely on the instrument cluster to verify what the hell you’re doing. However, after a day or two of driving your instinct takes over will stop looking altogether since the shaft placements feel as natural as a manual.

Everything matches now. It just looks faster doesn’t it?

Modified by resnone1 at 9:33 PM 12-26-2008

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit
      12-26-2008 09:45 PM #2
      If you want to keep your gear indicators, check out this DIY for the A3 DSG shift knob swap... It is somewhere on here, but I found the VWROC thread easier...

http://rabbitownersclub.com/vw....html

Vehicles
      2008 Volkswagen GLI
      12-26-2008 11:10 PM #3
      Nice mod! I still prefer manual though
      2008 GLI - Laser Blue

4. 12-26-2008 11:19 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by resnone1 »

Answer:
      This is a family car. My wife does not drive stick and I’m rarely sober enough to get behind the wheel.

I don't know if I should laugh at this answer or if I should advise you to seek help

Vehicles
      2008 VW GTI
      12-26-2008 11:28 PM #5
      looks good!

6. 12-26-2008 11:57 PM #6
      how does one shift through the gears without the shift mechanism? this is something ive always wanted to do. thx for such a great write-up!

7. 12-27-2008 12:35 AM #7
      Nice, looks good!

But where is the button you press to shift gears?

8. 12-27-2008 04:26 AM #8
      i think the SPP tipmod is responsible for that. look like it hold the shift mechanism in an "open" state so you can just shift through the PRNDS without pressing in a button.

Vehicles
      10 S4, 09 JSW, 08 A3
      12-27-2008 09:53 AM #9
      My bad for not bieng more clear on the Tip Mod functionality. It's a small device that slides over your existing pin & shaft. You then pull upwards on the knob to disengage the latch and change modes. It's made by Supreme Power Parts and found here:

http://www.supremepowerparts.c...=5198

10. 12-27-2008 10:49 AM #10
      This is exactly what I was looking for, although I'll probably just go with a Momo automatic knob.

Great DIY man, Thanks so much!!!

11. 12-27-2008 11:54 AM #11
      Wow Chad, you're an animal. That looks incredible!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG
      12-27-2008 12:22 PM #12
      Very cool OEM look, awesome mod!

Mike

2009 Audi A3 2.0T DSG S-Line: HPA Stage 1, HPA DSG Stage 2, APR Carbonio Intake, S2T Paddle Shifters, ST Coilovers...

13. 12-27-2008 12:41 PM #13
      hahahahahaha

one the best, most entertaining write ups....especially in the MKV forum

14. 12-27-2008 01:26 PM #14
      Very nice Write up. That button annoys me sometimes, but its a good safety so you don't go up above N to R when you're going forward.

Vehicles
      06 Jetta 2.5
      12-27-2008 10:18 PM #15
      Excellent write up, my man.

Vehicles
      '87 Euro 535i, '98 M3/4/5
      12-27-2008 10:51 PM #16
      quality, quality work
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
      Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling - let’s say, more than 170 brake horsepower - is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling penguins, while making love to a beautiful woman, while on fire, on stage, in front of the queen. It’s all going to go wrong.
      motoring con brio

17. 12-28-2008 08:17 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by DUSlider »
      If you want to keep your gear indicators, check out this DIY for the A3 DSG shift knob swap... It is somewhere on here, but I found the VWROC thread easier...

http://rabbitownersclub.com/vw....html

nice stereo.... Pioneer 900BT? and has anyone found out how to remove the knob if the lever-button is facing the front on a 08 GTI DSG ?

Vehicles
      Current: MK1 GTI, 12 GLI Past:07 Rabbit 00 GTI 10 GTI 06 GTI 78 Rabbit 83 GTI 06 Jetta 93 Corrado
      12-28-2008 10:24 AM #18
      My bad for not bieng more clear on the Tip Mod functionality. It's a small device that slides over your existing pin & shaft. You then pull upwards on the knob to disengage the latch and change modes. It's made by Supreme Power Parts and found here:

http://www.supremepowerparts.c...=5198

where were you a year and a half ago!?!?! i had build a full custom knob and made it do the little plastic part on the inside was always up. i built it with the key in and when i finished i went to take the key out and it wouldn't come out! yay! new project and i know exactly what my shift knob is going to be!!!

Demokratically Elekted Harbinger of Beetus & Confektionariy Devices of The Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      I contribute nothing of value to this thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eberger View Post
      Methamphetamine and masturbation go together like chocolate and peanut butter... I guess.

Vehicles
      VW Golf 5 1.6 Comfortline
      12-28-2008 10:39 AM #19
      Brilliant Write-up.....

Sticky anyone?

Vehicles
      06' Rabbit
      12-28-2008 12:01 PM #20
      you don't need to buy a "Tipmod." you just need some 1/2" pvc and a few set screws.

MOMO DUKE knob.

Vehicles
      Current: MK1 GTI, 12 GLI Past:07 Rabbit 00 GTI 10 GTI 06 GTI 78 Rabbit 83 GTI 06 Jetta 93 Corrado
      12-28-2008 05:52 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by kaptinkangaru »
      you don't need to buy a "Tipmod." you just need some 1/2" pvc and a few set screws.

MOMO DUKE knob.

care to elaborate on how you did it with pvc?

Demokratically Elekted Harbinger of Beetus & Confektionariy Devices of The Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      I contribute nothing of value to this thread.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eberger View Post
      Methamphetamine and masturbation go together like chocolate and peanut butter... I guess.

Vehicles
      06' Rabbit
      12-28-2008 11:05 PM #22
      basically you get a small piece of 1/2" pvc and drill holes for the shaft, 90 degrees apart. the set screws will screw into the bottom guide in the metal, and the top loop on the plastic shaft. if you take a look ay your shaft, you'll get a better understanding of what i'm saying. it will look just like the OP's, but it will be made from pvc not metal.

23. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      Euro Whips
      01-07-2009 05:23 PM #23
      Very nice write-up. Good job! As one of only two Master Distributors in North America for both MOMO and Sparco, a good portion of our online sales are shift knobs. We've recently had several MK5 auto guys ask about which knobs were compatible with the slush boxes and because we've only done standards here at our facility, we didn't have a lot to go on. This DIY write-up was very nice and very informative. Thanks a lot. Let us know where you'd like your check sent.

Keep in mind that all MOMO shift knobs are currently on sale right now for 30% off MOMO retail price. You can also contact us via IM for additional discounts when adding it to a steering wheel, pedal set, or a set of OEM Monster Mats!

AIM/YIM: mjmautohaus

24. 01-07-2009 07:25 PM #24
      Quote, originally posted by jess@mjm »
      Very nice write-up. Good job! As one of only two Master Distributors in North America for both MOMO and Sparco, a good portion of our online sales are shift knobs. We've recently had several MK5 auto guys ask about which knobs were compatible with the slush boxes and because we've only done standards here at our facility, we didn't have a lot to go on. This DIY write-up was very nice and very informative. Thanks a lot. Let us know where you'd like your check sent.

Keep in mind that all MOMO shift knobs are currently on sale right now for 30% off MOMO retail price. You can also contact us via IM for additional discounts when adding it to a steering wheel, pedal set, or a set of OEM Monster Mats!

AIM/YIM: mjmautohaus

what sale? lol its been $96 the past month and i just checked again

Vehicles
      06' Rabbit
      01-07-2009 08:03 PM #25
      i got mine for 75 on ebay.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      VW Mk5Caddy
      07-12-2009 01:59 AM #26
      How did you get your shifter to sit so low?
      I followed every step you did. But mine sits higher than the AC controls.
      I used this oem boot/knob -->

Modified by ThEnergizer at 2:02 AM 7-12-2009
      Mk5 Caddy
      Performance VW
      Magazine Feature - WebLink
      Words: David Kennedy Photo: Jonathan DeHate

Vehicles
      NSM 06 GTI pk1, t-red 06 GTI pk0
      07-12-2009 07:23 AM #27
      always something good from u
      mkv vr swap thread
      gengstout
      BAGRIDERSDSDAF PVW 4/11
      PM me about air ride installs, coils, fender rolling, frame notches or any other work you might need in NE

Vehicles
      10 S4, 09 JSW, 08 A3
      07-13-2009 12:27 AM #28
      Quote, originally posted by ThEnergizer »
      How did you get your shifter to sit so low?
      I followed every step you did. But mine sits higher than the AC controls.

summer revival – i thought this thread was long dead.

The height all depends on how "hollow" he knob is. If you prefer that it sits lower, You may want to drill out the cavity almost to the top of the knob. good luck!

Modified by resnone1 at 12:32 AM 7-13-2009

29. Member
      Vehicles
      VW Mk5Caddy
      07-13-2009 03:41 PM #29

The height all depends on how "hollow" he knob is. If you prefer that it sits lower, You may want to drill out the cavity almost to the top of the knob. good luck!
      Modified by resnone1 at 12:32 AM 7-13-2009

That worked! Now how do you stop the knob from swiveling and also the looseness?

Mk5 Caddy
      Performance VW

Vehicles
      10 S4, 09 JSW, 08 A3
      07-13-2009 11:43 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by ThEnergizer »

That worked! Now how do you stop the knob from swiveling and also the looseness?

Cool. Most aftermarket knobs have set screws that hold the knob tightly to the shaft. If this is not the case with OEM knobs then I think a loose fit may be inevitable.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      VW Mk5Caddy
      07-13-2009 11:58 PM #31

Cool. Most aftermarket knobs have set screws that hold the knob tightly to the shaft. If this is not the case with OEM knobs then I think a loose fit may be inevitable.

Naw there are no set screws on this OEM boot/knob. I guess I can purchase my own tap and die set w/ set screws to Add my own. You think that'll work? Or even rubber sleeves?

Mk5 Caddy
      Performance VW

32. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1995 VW Golf, 2000 Audi A4 B5, 2009 VW Rabbit, 2007 Jetta Wolfsburg, 2012 Jetta GLI
      04-02-2010 06:08 PM #32
      Just did this mod today and man I love it. Wish I read a bit further to realize the OEM golf ball VW knob needs to be drilled into so it will sit lower. I'm going to give this a try and hopefully I don't ruin the knob.

Vehicles
      2008 VW Rabbit
      12-01-2010 03:08 PM #33
      I have got the DSG shifter to work in the Rabbit. Here is a thread I started on it. Please read it and post suggestions for me. I need some help from your guys!

http://bit.ly/hWUT9J <- on vwvortex

Vehicles
      GTI APR II+ DO Water/Meth Stage 2
      12-19-2011 12:10 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by resnone1 View Post
      It looks like your car is flying through space. Will I have the same results?

looks good!

35. 02-13-2012 02:28 AM #35
      Bringing this thread back again...so i did this conversion with household stuff, and was wondering what if that one day it goes into reverse and blows your tranny. Is there a way to stop that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast