Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: '02 1.8T Jetta not shifting gears from 1st, when cold

1. 02-04-2009 07:09 PM #26
      repeated the scan 24 hrs later, having driven to and from work.
      catalytic converter alarm not present, but shift lock solenoid alarm back again. So that's def. a problem and needs replacing. From what I understand, this shouldn't be the cause of my problems though - seems to be a safety mechanism only.
      One interesting thing worthy of mention is that my VAG-COM crapped out on me multiple times when trying to read bank 05 on the 02 auto transmission control module. Error came up: ‘Session unreliable: too many communications errors to continue’. (I don't have the 4 bank 05 parameters it was trying to read in front of me). VAG-COM seemed to have no problem reading other banks in auto tranny CM. Also performed entire system scan and connected to other system's control moudules no dramas. I will post this in VAG-COM forum for info.
      sigh!
      regards,
      David

Vehicles
      '02 Jetta GLS, reigning high mile champ 371,675k miles and counting
      02-05-2009 12:56 AM #27
      David,
      The Measuring block 5 happens on my car also. I think it is normal. I just bypass it and go on.
      Don

CANCER SUCKS but KAISER SUCKS MORE/But so far I kicked it's ASS

3. 02-07-2009 09:25 AM #28
      Great news. Solenoid N92 fixed my little jetta. I hope that this helps some of you.

4. 02-07-2009 10:02 PM #29
      was there anything else your mechanic did?
      was it just N92?
      did your tranny ever went into limp mode?
      I am real desperate to fix my tranny, and I don't want to spend $4k to replace it.
      Dave

5. 02-08-2009 02:07 PM #30
      yes my tranny went into limp mode. it wouldnt get out of first gear until it got warm (about 15 minutes of driving in first). My mechanic said it took 90 psi of air pressure to open the N92 solenoid. He only had to blow into the new one to open it. I did a fluid change before I took it to him and it didnt help at all. He told me that he even screened and reused the old fluid that he drained out to preserve the clutches.

6. 02-08-2009 03:23 PM #31
      thanks
      maybe there is a hope for me.
      if I change N92 then this would be third solenoid change (N281 & N282) for me.

7. 02-08-2009 07:37 PM #32
      I hope N92 will help you out. It definitely fixed mine. This thread is pretty much the only info on this tranny subject on the whole web. When I first started searching for info I found next to nothing. I dont know if N92 will fix all trannys stuck in first but trying it beats paying the dealer. Thanks to everyone for all their input.

8. 02-10-2009 10:23 PM #33
      Glad yours worked out Jackie - thx for update. So you said the VAG scan came up empty right? But the N92 solenoid was still shagged - interesting... wonder why - OBD not working? Or maybe the resistance was fine, but it was stuck mechanically, or perished seal etc?? IDK.....Self study does say that N92 is energised in 1st, but must de-energise to go to 2nd and the whole thing about car working fine with temp/pressure does make problem sound hydraulic. Worth a shot - the one mob I rang up charged $52 a solenoid - a couple of them much cheaper than rebuild.
      My project has pretty much come to a standstill. I'm about to be posted off again with work, so my car will spend months in a mate's garage - waiting for me to deal with it when I get back.
      I had it booked into a Euro transmission workship near Atlanta (I was sposed to be going there for work this week for a month, but that got cancelled last minute). Plan was to get the soft parts rebuild - they were going to do for $2250. They were helpful people. Told me I could buy the repair manual for 09A from the OEM: Jatco JF506e gearbox - got all info. I found it on web for ~$20, but unfortunately I don't have the time, tools or spare car to get into it at the moment.
      I did find the best way to get my car to shift when starting, was to leave it in neutral for ~5 minutes. This was opposed to driving around car parks at 10mph and 3000revs for 10 minutes looking like a goose
      DAvid.

Vehicles
      2008 Jetta 2.0T WE, 2010 Passat Wagon DSG, 2013 Audi A3 TDI DSG
      02-13-2009 11:04 AM #34
      Count me in Just got new used Jetta with 84k on the clock and I have similar problem. Although I would not say it shifts a lot better when warmed up. Pulling from the light is still a hassle.
      How much was solenoid repair?
      2015 VW e-Golf - daily beater
      2010 Passat Wagon DSG - famaly project car | Web developer for your small business

10. 02-15-2009 11:13 AM #35
      Total for me was 357.00 I think the solenoid was about 90.00 Also my mechanic reused old dluid since I had just done a change. Good luck. There is a lot of good info in these forums.

Vehicles
      02-15-2009 11:08 PM #36
      thanks. I'm going to local mechanic on Tuesday, will you keep you all posted.
      2010 Passat Wagon DSG - famaly project car | Web developer for your small business

12. 02-17-2009 03:54 PM #37
      Thank you all! Everyone described the exact same problems I am having with my 2002 v6 Jetta, right down to the fluid change and the uncooperative dealership. My car is at Aamco and they had it narrowed down to the shift solenoid also but did not know which one. I just called and told them to replace the N92. Clearly jetta owners need to stick together! Thanks again, I'll be back

Vehicles
      02-17-2009 06:49 PM #38
      Mechanic called me today and obviously there was no codes in TCM. His working on other stuff.
      In mean time I need second opinion.
      My car not only does not up shift from 1st, it also has harsh downshifts. Could two solenoids go bad at the same time? Or may by faulty N92 causes rough downshifts?

Vehicles
      02-17-2009 09:17 PM #39
      Well, I was looking for part numbers and here what I got so far.
      For 2002 VW made in Mexico with 5 speed auto transmissions EYP, EEF, ELD,
      GPC, EYN, and GNZ:
      09A 325 039 H - Valve Body applies to EYP, GNZ, EEF
      09A 325 039 J - Valve Body applies to GPC, ELD, EYN
      Valves fit both bodies:
      09A 927 331 - Solenoid valve N89 (brawn)
      09A 927 331 A - Solenoid valve N92 (green)
      09A 927 331 B - Solenoid valve N88 (brawn)
      09A 927 331 C - Solenoid valve N90 (black )
      09A 927 331 D - Solenoid valve N282 (black )
      09A 927 331 E - Solenoid valve N91 (black )
      09A 927 331 F - Solenoid valve N283 (white)
      09A 927 331 G - Solenoid valve N281 (white)
      09A 927 331 H - Solenoid valve N93 (green )
      hope helps somebody

15. 02-21-2009 09:21 PM #40
      N92 solenoid seems like its the culprit. I hope it is, looking to change that as well. I have the same locked in 1st gear until 1/2 hour of driving problem.

16. 02-28-2009 03:34 PM #41
      Did anyone ever get theirs fixxed? I have been having the same problem. I have to go start my car in the morning and let it run for about 15 minutes so it shifts fine. To me it seems like it is just goign for 2nd to 3rd and sometimes 1st to 2nd. I just got my tax return and was going to take my car in to get looked at.

Vehicles
      02-28-2009 08:40 PM #42
      I'm waiting for solenoid to come. I'll take it to the shop as soon as I get it. Will keep you posted.
      Btw, mine just gets stack in first and even warm up does not always help.

18. 03-01-2009 03:12 PM #43
      Quote, originally posted by JoshRambo »
      Did anyone ever get theirs fixxed? I have been having the same problem. I have to go start my car in the morning and let it run for about 15 minutes so it shifts fine. To me it seems like it is just goign for 2nd to 3rd and sometimes 1st to 2nd. I just got my tax return and was going to take my car in to get looked at.

I fixed mine with N92 replacement and so did jackieheath.
      I place my money on N92 that it is the problem.

Modified by audi10021075 at 5:20 PM 3-2-2009

19. Member
      03-02-2009 06:05 PM #44
      From the looks of this thread, I guess change the N92 for this problem. Anyone with more success stories?
      Last edited by Onearmedmidget; 05-18-2010 at 11:21 PM.

20. 03-02-2009 07:22 PM #45
      N92 did the job for me.

21. 03-02-2009 10:36 PM #46
      Howmuch does something like this go for? Anyone have a contact in NYC, preferably Queens, that can do this? Thanks

Vehicles
      03-08-2009 04:40 PM #47
      Transmission shop just backed out on me , now they want a lot more money and it does not make any sense for me. I'm not going to fix my car
      Best of luck to everyone on here.
      P.S.
      I have N92 valve, filter and fluid for sale (PM me for details).
      I also have 1.8T 02 Jetta with 84K and broken tranny if anybody needs project car ($3000 OBO) - SOLD localy

Modified by crawl at 12:49 PM 3-10-2009

23. 05-27-2009 03:51 PM #48
      After a couple months of frustration searching for a solution to this shifting problem I happened on this thread. I have an '02 Jetta 1.8t w/ 130K miles. I simply love the car and still get better than 30 MPG.
      Similar to everyone else, it started one average morning with a difficult time getting it to shift out of first. After a few minutes of messing with it, things were fine again. A week later it happened again, then more frequently until the car was incapable of 20 MPH.
      I was able to 'force' a shift by increasing the RPM's to 6400, but I don't like to do that without a good reason (or at least one that makes me smile instead of grimace). I read other folks who described a problem of very hard shifting 1st to 2nd and was curious if they were shifting at high RPM's.
      I continued searching and found many posts of folks having similar issues which resulted in changing their transmission for a mere $3,000 - $5,000. Very disheartening. I still owe the bank $4,000 on my car and I couldn’t afford a repair bill like this or to dump the vehicle. ROCK <- me -> Broken CAR
      I next followed some advice from other posts I had found and took the car to my local dealer to 're-flash' the TCM. This sounded like a waste to me, as I had no codes and the way the problem evolved did not seem like a computer failure (gradual instead of sudden). $90 later I confirmed it was a waste.
      Ok, so my next swing was going to be changing the fluid as a last ditch effort before having to ‘force shift’ it everywhere I go. I came across this thread and the N92 valve stood out like a beaconing red light. So, I ordered the parts (shout out to Auburn VW – nice folks) and cleared my weekend expecting this to be as big a pain as it sounded.
      I ordered the N92 valve (part number posted above), 4 liters of the proper tranny fluid (part number posted in DIY/FAQ), and a tube of VW silicon to seal it back up.
      I followed coolvdub’s walkthrough posted in the DIY/FAQ (thank you tremendously for the time and effort of creating it) and replaced the N92 valve. The entire project took about 4 hours for two guys both fairly handy under the hood with a couple of distractions (fixing a headlight bucket and changing the oil).
      One note on changing the fluid. Since the pictures are gone on the how-to for changing the tiptronic fluid, I just read between the lines and followed this procedure.
      1. Drained fluid into pan
      2. Poured into jug with measuring marks (in liters)
      3. After putting everything back together I filled it through the filler with the red ring on front
      4. Added exactly the same amount as was measured as being removed (3.5 Liters)
      5. Started car, let it warm up for a few minutes, ran it through the gears pausing 5 seconds in each one.
      6. Test drove the car
      The reason I mention this is that I did not go back and verify the fluid level. There were no apparent leaks before I started, and from everything I’ve read people seem to have very random results when they check anyway. I figured putting in exactly what I took out was going to be close enough.
      Please chalk my car up in the success column for resolving the ‘won’t shift from first gear’ problem. I have since put about 500 miles on my car with absolutely no troubles. I would like to say it’s running even better, but it’s always ran so well that couldn’t be true.
      THANK YOU COOLVDUB! You just saved me several months of embarrassment from driving my car at 5,000 RPM through school zones with my head ducked down while saving my pennies for a new tranny!
      Thank you everyone at VWVortex for all your great communications!
      -Very Happy Camper

24. 06-16-2009 03:29 PM #49
      I'm curious...
      I'm not having these exact problems, but I do have the same transmission and I am having problems with it shifting (documented in a few other threads). I had the resistances of each solenoid checked, and all were within spec, so the impression I was left with was that, whatever the problem was, it had to be internal.
      But is this actually the case? Can a solenoid still be malfunctioning, even if it's resistance is measuring within spec?
      If this were the case, and I could fix this issue with a stupid solenoid, I would be absolutely ecstatic... pretty much everything in the car aside from the tranny is tip top, but it's hard to justify sinking ~$4k in a 7 year old car with 118,000 miles on the clock.

25. 07-06-2009 01:15 AM #50
      Quote, originally posted by dphoenix &raquo;
      I'm curious...
      I'm not having these exact problems, but I do have the same transmission and I am having problems with it shifting (documented in a few other threads). I had the resistances of each solenoid checked, and all were within spec, so the impression I was left with was that, whatever the problem was, it had to be internal.
      But is this actually the case? Can a solenoid still be malfunctioning, even if it's resistance is measuring within spec?
      If this were the case, and I could fix this issue with a stupid solenoid, I would be absolutely ecstatic... pretty much everything in the car aside from the tranny is tip top, but it's hard to justify sinking ~$4k in a 7 year old car with 118,000 miles on the clock.

All my solenoids were within spec also but after replacing my N92 solenoid, I finally resolved the issue of not being able to shift past 2nd gear. So I guess even though they check out resistance wise they were still mechanically failing? Not sure? But all I know is this finally fixed my problem.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast