Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: '02 1.8T Jetta not shifting gears from 1st, when cold

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      01-05-2011 10:58 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by DeepInsouthtexas View Post
      I have an 04 Jetta that is having the same shifting problems. It is also a 1.8T. Would it use the same parts as listed on this thread for the 02 and 03 Jetta?

Thanks

Yes. I would suggest changing all the solenoids.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

2. 01-25-2011 07:46 PM #107
      6-months ago mine 2002 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic started showing some shifting problems when 1-2 and 2-3 and little bumps as the tranny shift to 1st, just seconds before stop. The colder the weather the worst the problem and got better after runnning for a while. Going up on a hill while waiting for a green light I must keep the "break-on" otherwise I start going in reverse. Except this reverse issue all other stuff happen 90% of the time, 10% is OK.

Is there any logical relationship between the shifting/reverse problem and the possible solenoid N92 solution?

I really will appreciate your comments.
      Last edited by JETTA20021.8TTIPTRONIC; 01-25-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: synthaxis mistake

Vehicles
      01-26-2011 02:49 PM #108
      Your transmission has no function to prevent rolling backwards on a hill. This is not a trans problem.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

4. 02-08-2011 02:55 PM #109
      All problems sound similar to one i'm having with my 01 gti. has anyone had problems with engine stalling when cold and trying to engage either drive or reverse? The annoying shifting problems almost all seem to be present. Also, car always feels sluggish coming off a stop.once it starts rolling it's ok but feels a bit like tranny slip initially.

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 vw jetta wolfsburg 1.8T
      03-28-2011 10:47 AM #110
      thank you! thank you! thank you! to anyone and everyone who posted the n92 solenoid fix for shifting problems when jetta is cold! my 03 wolfsburg has 190,000 miles and runs like a new one. this winter i started having the shifting problem when my car was cold. if i did not let it warm up for 10 minutes it would not shift from 1st to 2nd. my mechanic originally got a code for the transmission temp sensor and he changed it. turned into a chore since the temp sensor is part of the transmission harness. this fix did nothing to change the shifting problem. took it back and it came up with no codes at all. did not know what else to try. i love and trust my mechanic and refused to take it to a dealer just to have them tell me i needed a new transmission. thats when i found vwvortex. i printed out all of your advice and took it to my mechanic and asked if he was willing to try the N92 fix. he was and im off and running! gonna try to get to 300,000 miles now!! you guys rock! thanks!

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      1973 VW BUG
      05-07-2011 06:02 PM #111
      My jetta is stuck in first gear... The malfunction light is on and the torque converter makes a whining noise... Help

7. 05-09-2011 05:08 PM #112
      Hello,

I had the problem also that with a cold motor the gear didn't shift from 1/2 to higher gear. Only after 15 min. with warm engine there was no problem. Also tried with max rpm full gas, it worked (this was a tip in this threat). So I thought I had the same problem like a lot of people here. So I replaced the N92 solenoid this weekend. IT WORKED ! All my problems are over. THANKS
      The n92 was kosting about 70 euro. Not much because a renovated gear inc working will cost about 1500 euro.

Thanks for the tip, it helped me a lot

Grunneger (NL) Ford Galaxy 2004 automatic transmission
      Last edited by aj.schutrups@hotmail.com; 05-09-2011 at 05:17 PM.

8. 05-14-2011 11:10 PM #113
      My second post only to thank you kind folks. I was panic struck when I became a victim of N92. Was on a trip and from motel no gear but R and 1. No shift. Who on I-95 knows diesels more/less a vw. I had money gremlins dancing in my head. My beloved 04 TDI 186K is biting the dust and I need this car. Never changed the no muss no fuss forever sealed unit for oil change. Not necessary, Yeah sure. Learned that fable too. At least after it kicked in, and drove perfectly I noted the cool had something to do with this. I searched and you guys were on with a real TIPTRONIC 101 course.

You folks gave me peace that at least I won't have to drive 800 miles at 20 mph and 3000rpm.

Bless you and I will be changing that oil just to start the purge process until I can afford the whole solenoid harness. If I go to that trouble, May as well catch the next gremlin. What takes you folks 4 hours will take me 4 days. I hate working on cars although I can. Too old for that now but too broke not to attempt.

Luv ya all. May stick around a bit. Lynn (I'm a guy) (I know, Alice Cooper has the same problem)

9. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 1.8T
      05-19-2011 09:57 PM #114
      I was wondering if anyone used a gasket or some sort of sealant on the transmission pan when they reinstalled it. If so, what kind and what was the part number.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      05-19-2011 11:20 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by jpadilla2 View Post
      I was wondering if anyone used a gasket or some sort of sealant on the transmission pan when they reinstalled it. If so, what kind and what was the part number.
      Not knowing, I ordered a gasket when I got my solenoids from cobratransmissions.com. Found out that VW doesn't use a gasket, so I just used silicone sealant when I put it back on. Make sure to get both surfaces clean & oil free. Gasket P/N from Cobra was 98301, but you shouldn't need it (must be used on the same trans from Mazda, LR, Jag ...)

11. n00b
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta 1.8T
      05-20-2011 12:20 AM #116
      Thanks for the response Charlie! Did you change out all nine solenoids? How tuff was it? Appears to be pretty limited access. Im only going for N92. Hoping it fixes my "not shifting out of first when cold" problem. Thanks again.

12. Senior Member Big Dac With Fries's Avatar
      Vehicles
      6000 SUX
      05-20-2011 01:14 AM #117
      If you pull the front end into the "service position" you should have enough room - If you want more, pull the front clip off.

I replaced the N92, which fixed my problem. Then, 5-6 months later, I wound up replacing all 9 because I lost reverse when cold.

If you plan on keeping the car, I would suggest you do all 9.
      Want to roll your fenders or Lamin-X your lights in clear or yellow for THE ABSOLUTE CHEAPEST PRICE IN THE GTA? IM me!
      "I was thinking about what a friend had said, I was hoping it was a lie."

13. Member
      Vehicles
      05-20-2011 09:19 AM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by jpadilla2 View Post
      Thanks for the response Charlie! Did you change out all nine solenoids? How tuff was it? Appears to be pretty limited access. Im only going for N92. Hoping it fixes my "not shifting out of first when cold" problem. Thanks again.
      I got the set of 9, replaced 8 of 9. (Last one was behind a wiring harness and it was getting late, so I didn't change that one. It was not testing bad, and I still have it in case I need to change it in the future). Set of 9 is much cheaper than getting them one-by-one.

I didn't put the front end into service position. If you have done that before and know what you are doing that may be a faster way, but I had just gotten the car so I followed the "09A solenoid change howto" and it went fine. Toughest part for me was getting the pan back on, there is a stinking vent tube that makes it tight. Hint: put the silicone on the tranny surface, not the pan; that way you won't smear silicone on the valve body trying to maneuver the pan into place

14. 11-12-2011 05:56 PM #119
      I am also having trouble with the shifting on a 2002 1.8T 09a. I think mine shifts out of first - it goes past 5000 RPM at about 20mph or so - the Vagcom shows that I am in 3m gear, and I can get it to shift into 4th if I race the engine and let of the gas etc... I just hate doing that. Once in 4th it will shift nicely into 5th. Not getting any transmission codes, but I am getting a few engine codes.... 17705, 16891, 16684, 16885, 17544, 16687, and 16686. I also lose communication with the transmission while driving it. It will come back if I try to go to a certain block, show some data, and then lose communication again.

Here is my main question... First I am willing to try to change n92 - sounds like a cheap fix to a potentially very expensive problem..... Should I change them all? Gets a little more expensive, but looks like a fair amount of work, why do it twice?

Second, solenoid change - does it sound like it will fix my problem?

Wish I had more history - I just bought this car at auction. I don't know if the symptoms started out like others on this thread.

Any advice would be appreciated!
      Jon

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      12-12-2011 12:18 PM #120
      How much did it cost you to change all the solenoids?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dac With Fries View Post
      If you pull the front end into the "service position" you should have enough room - If you want more, pull the front clip off.

I replaced the N92, which fixed my problem. Then, 5-6 months later, I wound up replacing all 9 because I lost reverse when cold.

16. 12-29-2011 06:10 AM #121
      I have to wait 15 min before my car will shift
      Out of first but after that it's shift fine
      Took to to a shop and they are not finding any codes
      Should I replace the n92 anyways. Because if this don't
      Work I'm just going to trade it in.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Jetta 2.5
      12-29-2011 08:15 AM #122
      RadLynx,

Whay would you replace all of the solenoids? I can see it if it is because it is cheaper as a set or that you just want to throw parts at it to solve a problem, but many people replace the N92 solenoid and don't know what it really does. The fellow you quoted did not diagnose the problem and was bitten 6 months later. This may or may not fix your problem, but diagnosing the issue will increase your success rate and save you money, though it often takes more time. Just food for thought.

Ralph c,

Why are you replacing N92? If you are just having a problem with the 1-2 upshift and not the downshift or any other shift than I would dig deeper. Do you want to diagnose this or just move on to the next option? The N92 energizes in 1st and de-energizes in 2nd. You will likely never find an on/off solenoid plug during exhaust (de-energized); more often when it comes time to seat and charge a circuit. Do you just get no 1-2 upshift until warm/hot or does the 1-2 shift slip? If you really get into the throttle, will that cause a 1-2 upshift when cold? Any other shift complaints?

Good Luck All!

Brad

Vehicles
      12-30-2011 07:22 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Ralph c View Post
      I have to wait 15 min before my car will shift
      Out of first but after that it's shift fine
      Took to to a shop and they are not finding any codes
      Should I replace the n92 anyways. Because if this don't
      Work I'm just going to trade it in.
      yes, your problem is probably caused by the n92. You should probably change them all.
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 12-30-2011 at 07:28 PM.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

19. Senior Member Big Dac With Fries's Avatar
      Vehicles
      6000 SUX
      01-01-2012 05:02 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by radlynx View Post
      How much did it cost you to change all the solenoids?
      I'd have to check my credit card records, but I remember this much. Buying 1 (N92) solenoid from the dealer was more than 50% of what the kit of 9 cost me.

If I had to do it all again, I'd replace all 9 off the bat.

The only reason why I didn't do so in the first place, was my reluctance to spend money on a solution I wasn't 100% on. If the N92 replace didn't fix the problem, I was going to do a manual swap.

So far it's been 2+ years, and I'm still pleased with the results. The only problem that still exists is a "flare" between 1-2 shifts when the transmission is cold and under heavy throttle. The car has paid itself off , so I'm comfortable with living with that.

This thread (and it's contributors) are a wealth of information. Read the posts, educate yourself and save money!!
      Want to roll your fenders or Lamin-X your lights in clear or yellow for THE ABSOLUTE CHEAPEST PRICE IN THE GTA? IM me!

20. 02-08-2012 04:12 PM #125
      Getting my n92 replaced I'll let I will let u ppl know if it's works.

21. 02-09-2012 02:36 PM #126
      It took my car 15 min to shift out of first
      I just had them replace the n92 and
      All the shifting problems are gone so the n92 worked
      For my vw vr6. Good luck ppl

Vehicles
      VW (A1) Mk2 Scirocco 16vT; VW (A4) Beetle Turbo S; Audi (B5) S4
      02-15-2012 04:04 PM #127
      Great thread! A friend's '02 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic (EYP code) won't shift out of 1st in D, no matter what temp. It can be manually shifted from 1st to 2nd in Tip mode, but just flares in higher indicated gears. Thus, it can only be driven in 1st, 2nd (where it feels about normal) or Reverse (also seems normal). Vag-Com TCU scan showed:

2 Faults Found:
      01166 - Engine Torque Signal
      16-10 - Signal Outside Specifications - Intermittent
      00652 - Gear Monitoring
      27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Since it's not temperature dependent, I'm assuming it's probably more than solenoids. Anything else I should check before biting the bullet on a used trans?

Vehicles
      02-16-2012 03:37 PM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by o2bad455 View Post
      I'm assuming it's probably more than solenoids. Anything else I should check before biting the bullet on a used trans?
      The solenoid can stick solid and if this happens then you end up with "no upshift" instead of "no upshift cold". Just fixed one like this last week.

Your codes are irrelevant. The 00652 is probably caused by the solenoid sticking, but there's no way to know conclusivly without trying a solenoid.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

24. 02-21-2012 12:30 AM #129
      Hi,

I have an '02 Jetta 1.8t automatic. I replaced the n92 solenoid which fixed my "cold start" problem. Everything ran smoothly for about two weeks. Now I am having other shifting problems? While driving, the car won't shift from 2-3 or 3-4 smoothly. It almost "feels" like I am trying to drive while in neutral. This happened on a highway which was very dangerous. I kept having to pull over, put the car in park, and then drive.

Could this be a problem with the other solenoids? Should I replace all 9 solenoids?

Vehicles
      02 1.8T Jetta WGN
      02-24-2012 05:47 PM #130
      Great Thread! !

Its really great to see the history of responses and collective experiences pooled here.

I experienced the EXACT same issue here with my 02 1.8T (no shift from 1st when cold). Had a transmission shop check it out and change the fluid and the problem is still with me (less though since the weather has warmed up). It typically happens on cold starts in the early morning or evening after the car has sat and cooled off.

Not looking forward to the recommendation that I got from a paid online answer website that I turned to in exasperation (here is their answer):

ANSWER: "Am pretty sure there are trouble codes stored in the trans module for a trans temperature sensor more then likely this is the cause , the trans sensor is built into the coil strip harness in side the trans you will need to remove the trans and split the trans case to replace this harness where the trans sensor is built into , most customers just replace the trans with a used unit because it is a lot of labor and $$ to do this job that needs to be done by trained professional . I hope this helps."

Then I asked how much it would potentially run:

ANSWER: "Trust me i know the issue i recommend a vw shop to check this they should charge you a diag fee of about $125 and for the job your looking at much more about $4000.00 but i recommend you find a used unit and replace it that way about $2200.00 . I hope all this has helped."

- ! yikes !!!:

QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS:

1. Does the above make sense about the "transmission sensor in the coil strip harness" ?

2. Should I just go with the complete solenoid replacement set as it seems to be working for many of the forum members?? If so how much would labor on this typically run?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      02-24-2012 11:53 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by byeh View Post
      "Am pretty sure there are trouble codes stored in the trans module for a trans temperature sensor more then likely this is the cause , the trans sensor is built into the coil strip harness in side the trans you will need to remove the trans and split the trans case to replace this harness where the trans sensor is built into , most customers just replace the trans with a used unit because it is a lot of labor and $$ to do this job that needs to be done by trained professional . I hope this helps."

QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS:

1. Does the above make sense about the "transmission sensor in the coil strip harness" ?

2. Should I just go with the complete solenoid replacement set as it seems to be working for many of the forum members?? If so how much would labor on this typically run?
      Yes there may well be codes stored for the transmission. An independent VW shop should be able to scan it for you and give you the exact codes, or find someone local with VAG-Com to do it for beer or pizza. A bad temp sensor would trigger a code, but I've not heard of that causing any shifting issues.

Did the trans shop measure any pressures? Report any codes?

But it is also quite possible to have shifting problems that do not trigger a code. These may or may not be solved by a set of solenoids. My set of 9 solenoids was about $360 online, but I installed them myself so I can't help with shop labor estimates. IMHO, and especially if you are paying for shop labor, do all 9 solenoids if you decide to open it up, not just one. You do not need to remove the tranny to change the solenoids; see the howto for details. Worst case, print out the howto and show it to an independent VW shop to get a labor estimate.

Vehicles
      02 1.8T Jetta WGN
      02-27-2012 08:44 PM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_M View Post
      Yes there may well be codes stored for the transmission. An independent VW shop should be able to scan it for you and give you the exact codes, or find someone local with VAG-Com to do it for beer or pizza. A bad temp sensor would trigger a code, but I've not heard of that causing any shifting issues.

Did the trans shop measure any pressures? Report any codes?

I don't think they measured the pressure - and no they did not report any codes..

But it is also quite possible to have shifting problems that do not trigger a code. These may or may not be solved by a set of solenoids. My set of 9 solenoids was about $360 online, but I installed them myself so I can't help with shop labor estimates. IMHO, and especially if you are paying for shop labor, do all 9 solenoids if you decide to open it up, not just one. You do not need to remove the tranny to change the solenoids; see the howto for details. Worst case, print out the howto and show it to an independent VW shop to get a labor estimate.
      Thanks! I'm going to do that and give the printouts to them. - It seems to shift fine now - but I do notice some slight sluggishness; I have the feeling I'm going to have to ask him to do the solenoids eventually. - Thanks for the advice!

28. 02-27-2012 10:25 PM #133
      VW Golf 1.8T 2002
      Transmission 09A
      Car was not able to shift from 1st – 2nd unless temperature hits 190 degrees or increasing the RPM above 5000.
      This weekend I changed the N92 valve and it fixed the problem, it is easy to change because the pictures and advises helps a lot.
      I used 4 liters of LiquiMoly ATF III (#2034) recommended by a VW autoparts dealer I did also measure the liquid after drain the fluid.
      Just a recommendation the stud that holds N92 can go inside the valve body at the time to remove it and install the new one, be patient and do it carefully better it could be better if there is some one that holds the stud once you are installing it.
      Thanks to everyone takes their time to posting.

29. 03-03-2012 05:33 PM #134
      wife and i purchased a 02 jetta with the vr6 2.8L and are haveing similar issues. wanting to know if you all think the n92 solenoid will solve our problem.

Trans will act as if its in neutral when slowing to a stop sign or light and when slowing to take a corner such as a country road intersection where no stop is required. if you take the shifter to neutral and then back to drive it will reengage or if you step on the gas it will rev up and jerk very hard when it decides to reengage on its own. it seems that it does it more in warm weather (50 degrees f and above). when cold car acts normal. also seems to have issues with ignition coils failing. car has 110k on it could it be possible the coils have not been replaced and are just giving up? or are they potentially part of my troubles as well? check engine light is on presently.

thank you all for information and help

30. Member
      Vehicles
      03-04-2012 10:18 AM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by cowboymatt View Post
      Trans will act as if its in neutral when slowing to a stop sign or light and when slowing to take a corner such as a country road intersection where no stop is required. if you take the shifter to neutral and then back to drive it will reengage or if you step on the gas it will rev up and jerk very hard when it decides to reengage on its own. it seems that it does it more in warm weather (50 degrees f and above). when cold car acts normal.
      Checking the ATF level would be first on my list.

also seems to have issues with ignition coils failing. car has 110k on it could it be possible the coils have not been replaced and are just giving up? or are they potentially part of my troubles as well? check engine light is on presently.
      Go to the VW website and put in your VIN to see if there are any open 'campaigns' for your car. But coils go bad all the time, so they could still be the (misfire) problem. Another common problem is misfires coming from old and cracked coil wiring harness. But no, misfires do not cause shifting issues.

[Edit: that's my 1.8T bias showing; not sure if VR6s have the same coil/harness issues]

Have the car scanned and write down the exact info for the returned codes. A good scanner such as VCDS will return codes from the TCM too, if there are any, while generic OBD2 scanners do not.
      Last edited by Charlie_M; 03-04-2012 at 10:20 AM.

31. 03-05-2012 02:11 PM #136
      Hello,

I had the same problem (VW GTI 337 2002, 1.8T) and replacing the N92 solved it. Now when my engine is cold the car will not shift into reverse. Did replacing all of the solenoids solve this problem for you?

Many thanks,
      Michelle

32. Senior Member Big Dac With Fries's Avatar
      Vehicles
      6000 SUX
      03-05-2012 02:36 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by mpuetz View Post
      Hello,

I had the same problem (VW GTI 337 2002, 1.8T) and replacing the N92 solved it. Now when my engine is cold the car will not shift into reverse. Did replacing all of the solenoids solve this problem for you?

Yes - replacing all 9 solenoids fixed the "no reverse when cold" problem.

33. n00b
      Vehicles
      2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      03-13-2012 11:24 PM #138
      I just bought a 2002 Jetta 1.8t last night and I have the same 1 to 2 upshift problem. Can anyone point me to a good service manual with electrical diagrams for this vehicle? To be honest I have never worked a VW before much less owned one I have always been Honda (20 year Master Tech). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2012 12:53 AM #139
      Quote Originally Posted by MukVW View Post
      I just bought a 2002 Jetta 1.8t last night and I have the same 1 to 2 upshift problem. Can anyone point me to a good service manual with electrical diagrams for this vehicle? To be honest I have never worked a VW before much less owned one I have always been Honda (20 year Master Tech). Any info would be greatly appreciated.
      You want the Bentley manual, either paper or CD version. But it doesn't cover automatic transmissions at all, except for basic removal and troubleshooting.

For your upshift problem, read the FAQs linked to in the sticky post at the top of this forum, and use the forum search feature as well. There is a lot of good info buried in here over the years, but it's somewhat hard to get to. If you have more questions just post back, but doing a little basic reading/searching first is always appreciated. Assuming you have an 09A tiptronic, google "ssp 232 tiptronic", and you will find a Self Study Program PDF with good background info on the way the 09A works.

Pay attention to the solenoid change how-tos in this forum, sounds like you will need it soon enough.

Vehicles
      84 Cabbie 2.0 swap, 98 Jetta 2.0
      03-15-2012 12:25 AM #140
      My 01 1.8t jetta does that same thing. What i've discovered is that if you start out in tiptronic. shift through first, second, and third. Then you can pop back into D and the car shifts just fine. This works 90% of the time.

Sometimes tiptronic hesitates a little, but it always seems to go through if you do it a few times.

I will definitely be looking into that solenoid though

Thank you for the information.

I truly appreciate this thread.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast