Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Build: A New mk2 Rally Shell for mid 2009

1. 03-14-2011 03:03 PM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by 91redjetta View Post
      this is an awesome project.. talked to you guys when you had the gas car at waterfest a couple years ago.. couldnt be a nicer group to get ask questions.. i would be interested in knowing more about the tubular sub frame.. thanks.

as for the pedals.. arent you going to have to worry about mounting the fly by wire pedal for the tdi? or are you going to try to fab up something else?

engine wise. the head have anything done to it? i'm kind of a diesel geek and have some bad influences and just wondered what you guys can get by with engine mod wise?

thanks again and sweet build
      Thanks for the compliments. The tubular subframe was made by Eric Langbein Racing but I don't think he is producing them commercially.

Pedals: Mounting up the fly-by-wire mk4 pedal for sure. I have it all mocked up, just need to grap a piece of aluminum to mfinish up the mount.

Head: totally stock. The rules are open so we could go down any route mods wise. Funding and time are of course the big constraints.

Got a few more small subsystems ready on satuday... Fan shroud, rear shocks, Fuel tank skid plate, some wiring, some dash stuff, accelerator pedal...

2. 04-05-2011 04:39 PM #127
      more updates...

Engine bay side of the gas pedal mount. A floor mounted throttle stop will prevent me from tearing this off the firewall.

2" x 1.5" aluminum tube profiled to match the firewall. Floor mounted throttle stop will be added too.

Gas pedal mounting detail. White is a urethane spacer due to the 1/8" contour under the edge.

Pedals in and lined up. Now just need a cover and grip tape for the brake to match the clutch

Another angle of the pedals installed. The clutch is not hooked to a master cylinder yet so I had to get my hand in there to hold it out.

3. 04-06-2011 09:41 AM #128
      i understand about the subframe.. the gas pedal looks right at home.. another question is why chop the gas tank? or did you use the bottom of the one chopped up one to put under the other for protection? these thread is awesome.. so many sweet things going on.. rally x i cant wait..

4. 04-07-2011 01:19 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by 91redjetta View Post
      ...or did you use the bottom of the one chopped up one to put under the other for protection?
      Exactly that.

The VW gas tank is pretty burly plastic, but extra protection is required by the rules. Double-layering it like that is legal for the second layer of protection, it's cheap, it's form-fitting, and you don't risk getting rocks in there set to poke the tank like you do with just a sheet layered over it.

The biggest problem with using the stock VW tank is that if you have a bent right rear spindle or shock the wheel can rub on the filler neck. Well, that and the lift pumps have a habit of going out at Just The Wrong Time.

Josh: you might want to seal the edges of that to keep sand/gravel out.
      Last edited by mhoche; 04-07-2011 at 01:23 AM.

5. 04-24-2011 07:12 PM #130
      Holes in firewall for mounting clutch:

Firewall reinforcement plate fore clutch--Outside

Firewall reinforcement plate fore clutch--inside

Also added a vertical strut and backing plate

Added a throttle stop

Built a hard/soft line from the Willwood pedal & master to the clutch slave and bled it.

Here you can see the Stainless braid flex section in the middle.

6. 04-24-2011 07:18 PM #131

Built an aluminum block off plate from the bottom that is sealed here with silicon

View of cover plate from the bottom

Holes for the shifter cables outside view

Hydro Handbrake bracket & install:

Last edited by QuantumRallySport; 04-24-2011 at 07:25 PM.

7. 04-24-2011 08:19 PM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by mhoche View Post
      The biggest problem with using the stock VW tank is that if you have a bent right rear spindle or shock the wheel can rub on the filler neck. Well, that and the lift pumps have a habit of going out at Just The Wrong Time.

Josh: you might want to seal the edges of that to keep sand/gravel out.
      Yeah, the lift pumps can be temperamental. Hopefully ours will hold up to pushing diesel :-)

We sealed the edge on our other car's fuel tank doubler but this one fits much much better for some reason ---- maybe laying out in the sun for a few years :-) ??

8. 04-28-2011 12:11 PM #133
      Tune in tonight for an interview on Rally Notes TV

https://www.facebook.com/#!/RallyNotes

Footage will be here at 7pm Eastern
      http://www.sportce.com/shows/rally-notes.html

9. 05-12-2011 03:14 PM #134
      More pics of progress. Mostly the laying on of the noodley harness.

Hope it all works after removing lots of wires (AC, ABS, Climate control, Fan control Module...)

Carbon Door cards installed

Wrestling with wiring harness

Sunroof delete panel installed

Rear end-plates from mk4 beam for futre rear brake project. Might get some of these laser cut so people can adapt mk4 rear stub axles, wheel bearings, hubs, etc... leaves the potential to go to 10"+ VENTED rear discs from the 337 & R32 cars.

Vehicles
      o_O
      05-25-2011 10:19 AM #135

11. 05-29-2011 01:14 AM #136
      It seems to me that the gas and brake pedals are too far apart...Do you/can you still heel toe?

12. 05-31-2011 01:21 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by Sead View Post
      It seems to me that the gas and brake pedals are too far apart...Do you/can you still heel toe?

Never found a need to heel/toe. Lots of left-foot brake but no heel/toe.

13. 06-29-2011 06:01 PM #138
      What we have been up to besides attending yet even more weddings

Plumbing for the intercooler, radiator, intake and exhaust is coming along. Updates as they are available.

Spliced in the mk2 tailight harness to the mk4 chassis harness

All the lights are on but nothing caught fire, melted, or sizzled

AC Delete requires new serpentine routing and a custom tensioner. Thanks to Justin Carven at Greasecar for this one

Replaced the rain gutters and all new weatherstripping for the doors and windows

Gold foil for extra speed! (Zipties to keep the wires from flapping in transit on an open trailer)

And, videos from Mount Washington Hillclimb last weekend in the Gasser (took 2nd place in class)

Fog at the top

http://youtube/NIR5QbcIDgw

Exciting moment on the bottom of the mountain
      http://youtube/1KQS1Cq06Mk

REALLY EXCITING moment on the top of the mountain leading to a flat tire
      http://youtube/yJQHjsrP95I

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI 1.8t project and B3 vr passat wagon
      07-05-2011 08:54 PM #139
      is there a beater class in rally that i could enter my rusted out mk2 i wish i could get into this. looks like loads of fun, just too pricey. nice car too

Vehicles
      o_O
      07-05-2011 09:07 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by MKIII_96 View Post
      is there a beater class in rally that i could enter my rusted out mk2 i wish i could get into this. looks like loads of fun, just too pricey. nice car too
      There's always rallycross.

16. 12-05-2011 06:56 PM #141
      Can you enlighten me on the need for the lateral bar in this photo?

17. 12-06-2011 11:59 AM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by Towona View Post
      Can you enlighten me on the need for the lateral bar in this photo?

To try to keep the frame 'rails' where the rear beam mounts from moving/bending/deforming when the rear end goes sideways into the ditches :-)

Vehicles
      1969 BMW 2002, '73 BMW 2002, 84 VW Scirocco
      01-11-2012 05:32 PM #143
      NJMP just announced 4 rounds of rallycross this year! will we be hearing some diesel clatter at the front of the pack?

Vehicles
      Evos and a gti thats taking forever to build itself
      01-16-2012 01:10 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Sumo View Post
      NJMP just announced 4 rounds of rallycross this year! will we be hearing some diesel clatter at the front of the pack?
      I was so happy to hear about this. Now I just need to finish my car.

Vehicles
      1989 Golf MKII, 2000 Civic EX
      02-17-2012 12:13 AM #145
      Great job on this build. How the hell do you have the time and resources to build such a high quality rallycar? i'll see you hopefully at NEFR2012.

21. 02-29-2012 04:53 AM #146
      It is necessary to prepare for rally seriously) It well that such actions are carried out. Though I didn't participate yet

22. 02-29-2012 12:19 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by natep123 View Post
      Great job on this build. How the hell do you have the time and resources to build such a high quality rallycar? i'll see you hopefully at NEFR2012.
      Well, it has taken over 2 years so far to get this one built. We would go a lot faster with the build if we didn't have another car that works perfectly already :-)

Vehicles
      95 GTI TDI RALLY CAR
      03-08-2012 07:18 PM #148
      What are you doing for a dash? I've been debating the dash delete in my TDI rally car...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456