Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: MK IV Heater Core Replacement

Vehicles
      02 Jetta GLS, 00 GTI GLX, 69 Squareback
      10-05-2009 07:53 PM #26
      I'm in the middle of replacing mine and it looks like the heater box/ AC box is all one piece. I'm confused on what to do. I don't see any spring clips at all. Any suggestions?
      edit: I had to undo the AC line and take the hole box out but, it's done.

Modified by grantndub at 6:26 PM 10-6-2009

11-17-2009 07:46 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by grantndub »
      I'm in the middle of replacing mine and it looks like the heater box/ AC box is all one piece. I'm confused on what to do. I don't see any spring clips at all. Any suggestions?

I know you already figured this out, but I wanted to chime in. If you look at the picture below step 15, the clips have big arrows pointing at them. This is located just behind the passenger's left knee (left hand drive of course). If you do not have the clips, I would very much like to know... it would mean there were at least two revisions of the HVAC box.

Vehicles
      2005 Audi Allroad 2.7T...loaded
      11-18-2009 12:03 PM #28
      You got to be kidding me. This is f-ing stupid! Germans can engineer some stupid crap!

Vehicles
      11-18-2009 05:29 PM #29
      I have not looked at the manual yet, what is required. After I look at it I assume that I can take shortcuts.
      Jason

Modified by AZV6 at 2:30 PM 11-18-2009

5. 11-18-2009 11:19 PM #30
      would excessive coolant usage( about 1 bottle of g12 a month!!!!!!!) and no leaks under the hood or pooling of coolant anywhere on the ground be caused by a shot heater core?

11-19-2009 06:12 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by GTINC »
      I think you are assuming that the heater core replacement actually requires all the removal of the components indicated.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Seriously. Pictures are required of course... at the least you need to remove the glove box... but even with that out I could not get enough space to remove the left half of the HVAC box.
      Quote, originally posted by AZV6 »
      I have not looked at the manual yet, what is required. After I look at it I assume that I can take shortcuts.

The Bentley (at least the one I have) is no help with this procedure. Specifically, it makes no mention of that "mystery bolt"... the folks at TDIClub (oldpoopie) helped with that one. There are other problems with it.

Vehicles
      11-20-2009 06:28 PM #32
      bentley manual is complete garbage! What a total waste of money. It comes in handy for some minor things but has 0 on actual removal of many items.
      My italian manual for my alfa is 20 times better.
      I have to tackle this job next week, heater core just starting steaming the interior today. I knew it would.
      I will see if I can find all the short cuts for this. I am not for for removing so much crap to get to a heater core.

Vehicles
      11-20-2009 06:55 PM #33
      Anybody have an idea if aftermarket Valeo is made in Mexico and OEM is made in Germany or something?
      I ordered OEM because I usually buy only OEM. Significant difference in price @ $132.00 over $35-40 for aftermarket.
      Since I am doing this huge job I am probably going with OEM anyway but curious if anyone knows?
      Usually replacement parts are made in Germany/EU even if replacing a Mexican made part. 100% of all the parts I have replaced on mine have been german made, most of the failed parts were made in Mexico with a few in Germany.
      Any help would be great. $132 is not a big deal since I am doing the work but if I can say $100, why not if it is the same item 100%

9. 11-20-2009 08:18 PM #34
      Wow, great writeup - hope I never need it though!
      It sure makes you miss the simplicity of older cars though (and shake your head at the lack of thought put into maintenance on newer cars). A heater core change in my '85 Monte would take about 20-30min and is accessible from under the hood.... not to mention the original is still in there after 25 years of service (knock on wood).
      2003 VW Jetta GLS - 2.0L Auto
      1996 Saturn SC1 - 1.9L 5spd
      1985 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS - 5.7L 5spd
      1970 Pontiac GTO - RAIII 400 4psd

Vehicles
      02 Jetta GLS, 00 GTI GLX, 69 Squareback
      11-20-2009 10:13 PM #35
      Quote, originally posted by darisd »
      I know you already figured this out, but I wanted to chime in. If you look at the picture below step 15, the clips have big arrows pointing at them. This is located just behind the passenger's left knee (left hand drive of course). If you do not have the clips, I would very much like to know... it would mean there were at least two revisions of the HVAC box.

Yep there must be two different ones. Mine had no clips at all. My GTI is a 2000 maybe even a late 99. So I would expect later models to have the clips and box would nbe able to split. I had to pull the hole box out and recharge my a/c later. Lucky for me I was able to recharge it at my work.

Vehicles
      11-23-2009 09:22 AM #36
      Just did this last night, took me about 3 hours. Pretty simple.

Vehicles
      11-25-2009 05:06 PM #37
      Be aware that all heater cores out there are not the quality of OEM. Valeo (made in Mexico) and others that cost anywhere from $39-55 are garbage.
      Stick with OEM on this one. It is a valeo made in France. Mine lasted 166K miles.
      After all the work, don't bother with the cheapy ones!

12-04-2009 06:00 PM #38
      Quote, originally posted by grantndub »
      Yep there must be two different ones. Mine had no clips at all. My GTI is a 2000 maybe even a late 99. So I would expect later models to have the clips and box would nbe able to split. I had to pull the hole box out and recharge my a/c later. Lucky for me I was able to recharge it at my work.

Updated. I added a step 15b and another reassembly step. Thanks to you and Afghandelight for tracking this down!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2k1 1.8t gti, 2k10 CR-V
      12-07-2009 08:27 PM #39
      Thanks for this in advance, my wife's jetta has been losing coolant(a string of issues since her waterpump blew and she burned out the headgasket... I've had a bunch of busy weekends and feared I'd have to redo the head), had "water" in the passenger rear footwell as it has in the past after big rainstorms so figured it was the same. Attributed the foggy windows to that (ok, smelled coolant, didn't connect it before) and didn't think much of it till the core blew on the drive home tonight and I saw the puddle on the front passenger floor. Realized pretty quickly then what it was.
      New core is on the way, looped off the lines in the engine bay for now and will be driving with gloves and a coat on. Of course she wants a new car and to trade this in for the 50 bucks they'd offer... Gotta fix it fast

12-09-2009 02:28 PM #40
      Quote, originally posted by slugman »
      Gotta fix it fast

The great part about this job is you get to escape to the garage for a weekend. Cleaning the carpets will be a pain in the arse though.

Vehicles
      2004 BMW 330i ZHP
      12-09-2009 03:53 PM #41
      Quote, originally posted by darisd »
      The great part about this job is you get to escape to the garage for a weekend. Cleaning the carpets will be a pain in the arse though.

this job blows
      Facebook friends?

Lexus of Knoxville - Knoxville, Tn

17. 12-09-2009 06:04 PM #42
      No problem haha..turns out its either impossible or super not recommended that you depressurize your a/c yourself...i wish i couldve just had the clips
      great write up though, got through all the correct steps with no problems..
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

18. 12-10-2009 05:16 PM #43
      Quote, originally posted by lespaulman16 »
      this job blows

Yep, there's no nicer way to say it

19. 12-10-2009 07:58 PM #44
      difference between the split and non split cases is whether you have a climatronic system or not
      i happen to have climatronic lol

12-12-2009 04:26 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by Afgandelight »
      difference between the split and non split cases is whether you have a climatronic system or not
      i happen to have climatronic lol

Of course... gah that did not occur to me.
      Off to change the writeup again!

21. Banned
      03-26-2010 07:39 AM #46
      Starting this project in about 2 hours Dear lord, what the hell am I getting into?
      Did it and I am SO completly happy with the results [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING works as if it was never taken apart, no left over pieces, NOTHING Wasn't hard, just alot of stuff to remove. The only thing that us some trouble was popping off the air bag and trying to hit those releases.

Modified by Quattro Krant at 5:41 AM 3-28-2010

22. 04-23-2010 07:15 PM #47
      Anyone know what the inner diameter is on the heat core hoses?
      I'm stuck at school with limited tools, so won't be able to get around to permanently fixing the heater core until another couple weeks. In the meantime, I'm going to have to bypass it... and would rather buy the misc. hardware to bypass before I start, then have to go out after I start.

23. 07-11-2010 01:46 PM #48
      In the middle of this job now on my girlfriend's 2000 Golf and found a few things...

1. No need to remove the steering column bolt under the cowl.
      2. I didn't touch anything rearward of the shifter console.

3. And the big, bad one... this car is NOT equipped with Climatronic, and the case is one piece!

I now have the car torn apart and have to discharge the AC in order to continue. How can I do this, and what damage will I do by not having it properly evacuated?

BTW... thanks to those who put together these nice writeups. Well done!

Vehicles
      06 jetta tdi, kinda low
      07-11-2010 08:18 PM #49
      i had the same problem, my car doesnt have climatronic either.
      we were going to just roll it out of the garage and loosen one of the a/c lines to discharge the r134 or whatever it is, but there was ice on the incline driveway, so we'd have never gotten it back in.
      i ended up putting everything back together and it was 3 months before i got back around to pulling everything apart again, used the heat ONE TIME before warm weather came again, haha.
      i cant say its not safe to just discharge your a/c system without the machine, but do what you gotta do (either that or put it back together to drive it to a shop)

25. 07-12-2010 10:16 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by silvr rcr View Post
      i cant say its not safe to just discharge your a/c system without the machine, but do what you gotta do (either that or put it back together to drive it to a shop)
      I talked to my girlfriend's mechanic brother. He said no harm will be done to the car, but I did burn a tiny little hole in the ozone layer.

I vented it slowly at the expansion valve and got what had to be done taken care of. I'm going to have the cooling system flushed today, and then recharge the AC. I'm currently in the middle of trying to use all the little screws I took out while putting this puzzle back together.

Definitely cant say I'm bored!

OP... you may want to edit the Climatronic = one piece case vs. cable acuated = two piece case. It apparently isn't that easy. Thanks again!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast