Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: To Dakar and Back

1. 10-25-2010 02:47 PM #401
      That truck is freaking gorgeous. Very well thought out and constructed, kudo's to you fellows, I'm blown away. I really hope you guys make it to SA this year, seems like unfinished business after last years rally.

Best of luck, thanks for keeping the thread updated, etc

2. 10-25-2010 08:22 PM #402
      Thanks...

Unfortunately the funds behind getting back to the Dakar are looking slim. It may not be a go - but hope has not been lost that something may come through. Other races may be the focus... maybe Baja?

3. 11-12-2010 10:49 AM #403
      First post here, I'm Eric, the wiring guy ....

Spent Monday working on some of the final details, dash wiring, brake lights, wiper motor (which just barely worked out).. Then Lawrence and I bled the clutch, checked rad fluid etc and took the truck for a run in the field across the road. It was a great ride, I can't believe how much power the little diesel is generating. Its great to see the truck at this stage, a huge amount of work has gone into it, looking like a show truck now

Many seem to ask, what is on the truck to wire, thinking it's quite simple, a short list off the top of my head

Multiple levels of lighting, the front of the truck is broken down into sets, from a daytime 'always on' LED running light in the centre, to three other sets which are all individually switched (two LED and one HID).
      Rear running lights
      Being street legal needed full brake lights, turn signals, license plate light, hazards, horn, etc. All lighting is controlled from dash switches.
      Safety shutoffs around perimeter of truck
      Wiper motor
      Two rad fans, one of which we will most likely run off a thermostat switch in the future to cycle on when needed.
      Compressor for tire inflation and jacks
      Cab lighting
      LED work lighting around perimeter of truck
      Dash lighting and gauges
      Start circuit- fuel switch, glow plug and starter switch
      Window fan
      Navigation equipment

All the above gets powered through a main circuit breaker to smaller breakers and fuses and relays and switches. The safety rules had to be followed for shutting things off in emergency. Just about every connection on the truck has been soldered and heat shrinked. I'm guessing about 500 feet of wire of various sizes, and 7-8 long days of wiring and scratching my head.
      I tried wiring it with redundancy in mind and tried breaking down circuits so for example the lighting is not all lost if one fuse goes.

This is the first project like this I've done and am proud to be part of it, it is quite the opportunity for me, which all started over a dinner conversation a year ago when some old friends got together and I met Lawrence and he said "You know electrical? Can you stop by to look at something?......"

A few pics off my blackberry below, some old some new

The bundle running down the centre had over 30 wires in it. Took most of a day just to go from dismantling the rough wiring to the neat bundle you see.

One of the main shutoff switches

As the cab looked Monday with airlines etc. Still need to sort out wiring the navigation equipment

Lots of lighting, mostly LED with the outer two being HID

Being a street legal truck, it needed full brake, signal, hazard, licence plate lights

Vehicles
      Oldsmobile Intrigue
      12-31-2010 02:08 AM #404
      I'm assuming you guys weren't able to get to Dakar this year, Bump?
      North American Grand Prix (NAGP) - Sim Racing League
      http://northamericangp.com/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1

5. 01-02-2011 07:14 PM #405
      Unfortunately no we did not make it back this year. Dakar is still in our sights though. Lawrence has recently acquired some full carbon fiber body panels and full ducting for the new roof scoop. We will try to get some more pics together soon.

Vehicles
      2008 Golf V 2.5
      01-02-2011 08:55 PM #406
      You have expensive hobby

7. Member
      Vehicles
      Doris 04 tdi, boris 79, wascal e. wabbit 84, beatrice 90, racecar 80, 84GTIx3. creme dream 81
      01-03-2011 12:56 AM #407
      Quote Originally Posted by Fantomasz View Post
      You have awesome hobby
      ftfy
      Quote Originally Posted by Deutschbag
      .....remind me not to IM anyone about anything important past 8pm on a Friday night.

M.C.M.S. #1
      Dead Rabbit Society: cultured 'n isht.

Vehicles
      too many
      01-19-2011 03:16 PM #408
      bump this up....

just realized i live down the street from you in Arbor Glen.

9. 01-22-2011 07:57 PM #409
      Well another Dakar came and went this past few weeks, I was a bit depressed while watching it as I was remembering alot of what happened while we were in AR last year. But the interest in returning still drives us. So we are back to another stretch of triing to get back to the Dakar. The title of the first Canadians to finish the Dakar on 4 wheels is still up for grabs. There is a strong rumour going around that the Dakar will return to AR but also travel through to Peru. Apparently the Government put a good chunk of $$ down to help host the event to help generate revenue for the country.

Heres a good link to a bunch of Dakar 2011 videos if you missed out this year.

http://player.sbs.com.au/dakar#/daka...odiums-Trucks/

To start us of this year with raising some awareness, and getting back to development, Lawrence had the current state of the truck at the Canadian Motorsports show this w/e.

I have been developing some new street ware to help raise a few $$, if you guys are interested in a t-shirt with the proceeds going towards our efforts let me know via Email - california_jay@hotmail.com. I'll be putting up the designs next week. If you are also just feeling generous and want to help us get back you can also just paypal us a donation to the same address.

We now have all year to just test and develop. Let hope it goes well.

10. 01-22-2011 09:06 PM #410
      I'm sure this has been covered but, what class are you running in? What types of trucks are you up against?

11. 01-22-2011 09:21 PM #411
      Awesome Awesome Awesome, even if it is a Chevy....

12. 01-23-2011 12:02 AM #412
      The truck is in the Car-T1 class for the Dakar Rally. Generally you will see Robby Gordon, Mitsu, VW, and the BMW factory cars in this class. They will consist of tube chassis/space frame cars that are either 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      03-08-2011 12:21 PM #413
      Im going to bring this up to the top with a question. I was watching 'Race to Dakar' (Charley Bormans entry to the Dakar when it was still in Africa) and have a question about tires. Looking at the times where they spent their days riding/ driving through the dunes, I noticed that everyone was running mud terrain/ knobby tires. No one was running anything like a paddle tire. Are there restrictions on tire tread design? There were a few stages across the desert where it was all sand and there were numerous DNFs because people were burying their rigs/ bikes and getting hopelessly stuck.
      Looking for a car event on the East Coast? Check here

I have an idea, we will try it my way first...and then we will finish.

MCFC

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 2013 F150
      03-08-2011 12:49 PM #414
      Quote Originally Posted by inarisilver78 View Post

It is amazing but change the freakin filter
      My thoughts exactly .... all this awesome and a fram OCOD
      Team 30k Jetta - Frat Boys

15. 03-08-2011 04:43 PM #415
      Paddle tires won't hold for 600kms at a time. You don't know the terrain breakdown either before each day starts.
      Try running a paddle tire on 250kms liason b4 the stage starts, most times its a paved road or smoother dirt.

I haven't read up on it, but I don't think they are approved for the race.

Vehicles
      '73 Superbeetle, 08.5 Jetta Wolfsburg 2.0T DSG
      03-08-2011 04:44 PM #416

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1988 Fox Wagon
      09-16-2011 08:19 AM #417
      Hey guys, sorry for your jacking your thread. I'm from the inland empire, my name is nate and I'm now a freshman at Johns Hopkins. I'm also joining the baja sae club, essentially we make a dune buggy and compete in several events against other colleges. We took 17th last year and are looking to move up the rankings. If any of you want to donate, funds or parts, as usual Anything helps, please message me. I can't really repay you but if you have business I can put your sticker on the side of our car and I will make thread to keep everybody updated on our build and race progress.

Thanks!
      Nate

18. 11-18-2011 12:41 PM #418
      Dakar 2012 count down - 1 month 12 days....

A quick update... Lawrence has got the truck transported down to the 44th Annual Baja 1000, there is a diesel class running this year.

This is the only live feed I know of starting @ 11:30PST:
      http://www.race-dezert.com/home/2011...-live-coverage

Lawrence is also equipped with the Spot tracking device that allows ppl to follow along the route via satellite.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...bFSEmTi0CbGB3K

Vehicles
      '03 X, '99 C43
      11-18-2011 02:32 PM #419
      Quote Originally Posted by California Jay View Post
      Dakar 2012 count down - 1 month 12 days....

A quick update... Lawrence has got the truck transported down to the 44th Annual Baja 1000, there is a diesel class running this year.

This is the only live feed I know of starting @ 11:30PST:
      http://www.race-dezert.com/home/2011...-live-coverage

Lawrence is also equipped with the Spot tracking device that allows ppl to follow along the route via satellite.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...bFSEmTi0CbGB3K
      YES!
      Serious 100% of the time.

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      11-18-2011 04:27 PM #420
      Nice! Looking forward to this.

21. 01-06-2012 10:21 AM #421
      Any updates? I only see one Canadian team in the car list, is that you guys?

22. 10-01-2012 06:50 AM #422
      Thanks for a great build thread and a great insight into the worlds toughest Motorsport endeavor.
      Awesome work.

23. 12-03-2013 12:58 PM #423
      Hi Vortexer's long time no see

Heres a few pics of the current progress of the truck...showing the third tear down/rebuild of truck. This is in prep fror the Mexican 1000 in May 2014 http://www.norra.com/

Lawrence is well underway with a lot of upgrades. New suspension and a new Olds V8 are the major changes.

Enjoy

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad
      12-03-2013 01:06 PM #424
      I'm so glad to see this thread again. Will this be going to Dakar again or just the closer Baja style races?

Was there a reason to go with the big V8 over the VW diesel? I imagine that changes the class that he'll run in.

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      12-03-2013 01:12 PM #425
      Why are you running a 215? Of all the aluminum V8s you can choose from, I struggle to understand that choice. I have one in my garage and it is an okay motor but I am not too sure hat I would want one in a car that will see high temps and constant high revs.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast