Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anybody had hood latch problems? (hood not closing well)

Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3 2.0T / 2011 BMW Z4
      01-15-2009 03:10 AM #1
      So I opened up the hood to refill my washer fluid...
      Did it and tried closing it but it didn't close...

I usually just close the hood about 2/3 of the way down and let it drop and it will click closed (dropping it from about a foot higher than the latch mechanism)

I actually opened/closed the hood yesterday and it closed fine just like before.

I also tried slightly slamming the hood closed with no luck. So I had to lock it once into place and push on the hood pretty hard to fully close it and lock it into place. Hood opens up perfectly fine and as it should. It's the closing part that's getting tricky. The hood still won't close if I give it a noticeable force slamming it down, it will just lock into place one click. (Notice our hoods lock once and fully locks on the second lock if you know what i mean....) Nothing is "visibly" wrong on the latch mechanism as far as I can see. No bent hooks, latch, etc... no broken tabs... latch handle works fine

Now the temperature here is crazy and I was thinking it MIGHT be the crazy low temperature (it's 0 degrees Farenheit/-18 degrees celcius) today and tomorrow. I don't have a heated garage so I couldn't try warming up the car.

It's not THAT big of a deal but it's annoying to even be aware of it

*** there were no objects, ice or any of that getting in the way between the hood and the latch mechanism

2. 01-15-2009 05:56 AM #2
      I had this last winter, was freezing outside, hood wouldnt close, tried everything, took about 50 tries, not kidding... check the hood release lever from the inside, might have got stuck in the open position instead of snapping back to latch the hood to close.

Vehicles
      01-15-2009 10:14 AM #3
      when you say check it from inside you mean the lever inside the car under the dash?

Vehicles
      2006 A3 3.2T
      01-15-2009 11:09 AM #4
      yea, i think that's what So_Fresh means from what i read.

the way i close the hood, is put it all the way down against the latch, then push it close. then again, i have a CF hood so the weight isn't there to just drop it.

722 pages, 25255 posts, and 1,015,739 views later... R.I.P. LoL Bump thread 03/27/2008 ~ 02/16/2011.
      Link to my build: Audi A3 3.2 VR6 BT
      CleanAudi.com feature

5. 01-15-2009 07:20 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by krazyboi »
      yea, i think that's what So_Fresh means from what i read.

the way i close the hood, is put it all the way down against the latch, then push it close. then again, i have a CF hood so the weight isn't there to just drop it.

correct, from inside the cabin. sorry for confusion, its what i meant

Vehicles
      01-15-2009 07:35 PM #6
      Just tried this outside. The lever did go back to it's position but I tried pulling and pushing it back all the way and the hood closed fine. But it kept getting stuck though, I guess it'll all be back to normal when the weather warms up??

7. 01-16-2009 12:17 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by yoonskim »
      Just tried this outside. The lever did go back to it's position but I tried pulling and pushing it back all the way and the hood closed fine. But it kept getting stuck though, I guess it'll all be back to normal when the weather warms up??

Should be, mine was fine. in the mean while try not to put any dents in your hood by slamming it or pushing on it hard to try and close it

Also, if you poor warm water on the latch (if you have to open it in cold weather) it should melt ice in there, etc. Maybe it needs a little lube

Anyways, should be fine in the warm weather

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3 2.0T Sport 6MT, 2003 GOLF GLS Chicktronic
      01-22-2009 10:33 AM #8

same thing just happened to me last night and i wonder if the temperature/ice is keeping the latch from springing back to its closed position. even if i manually push the latch to its closed position with a screwdriver, wouldn't the hood push the latch back to its opened position when it's lowered? since the mechanism is not smooth, the latch will then just be stuck at its opened position and won't latch onto the "loop" underneath the hood?

what did you guys do to finally manage to have the hood closed and locked?

TIA

Vehicles
      01-22-2009 10:59 AM #9
      Well mine works as it should again. I just waited till the weather warmed up a bit. It's just the terribly cold temperatures (seems to happen between 5 deg F or lower) it's still cold here but after a warm car wash and longer driving time the latch mechanism is back to normal now

10. 10-30-2011 06:33 PM #10
      Same here. When I bought the car, the hood was hard to shut. I tried readjusting the hood latch and lubing it. It worked fine for several months, then last night it started doing it again. I'll try lubing it some more and see if it will help. Looks like it's a typical problem with those audi latches.

Vehicles
      2008/Audi/A3 2.0T
      10-30-2011 09:27 PM #11
      happened to me last winter. the latch seems to freeze up and not be able to move completely, so it doesn't clip down all the way. i let the car sit for about 20 minutes and brought out a hair dryer and it eventually closed
      2008 Lava Grey Audi A3 2.0T FWD: Euro Spec. LED Tails | Stage 1 APR | Front Grill LED Rings | Bilstein Sport Shocks + Struts | Neuspeed Springs

Vehicles
      2006 Audi A3, 59 Apache, 07 Ducati Sport Classic 1000s, 60 Vespa 150, 61 Lambretta 125 LI
      10-31-2011 12:11 AM #12
      This happened to me last winter.
      I sprayed WD-40 on the lock, and hadn't a problem since.
      2006 A3 2.0T, GIAC, VF Engineering CAI, Miltek Exhaust, Bilstein Sport Struts, H&R Sport Springs, H&R RSB, drilled/slotted rotors, 18" RS4 VMR Reps, Votex Kit, Jack pads, LED Tails, Smoke Parking lights, IPOD Adapter, Audi All-weather mats.

Can VAG-COM in Mountain Home/Boise area.

Vehicles
      2007 Touareg, 2004 Golf, 81 Caddy (resto in work)
      11-20-2014 03:48 PM #13
      I remedied the issue by removing the secondary latch and handle by drilling out the two rivets that hold those assemblies. Works like a dream. Then installed a short cable and hook as the secondary safety latch. Never had another issue. Additionally I discovered the two forward fender bolts were loose letting the support to rotate back causing alignment issues as well.
      So the bunny tells me one day, I will fire when I'm good and ready you got that!!

Vehicles
      2006 A3 3.2T
      11-20-2014 04:27 PM #14
      I having this same issue right now too.

Sevenhornets, do you have pics of what you did?
      722 pages, 25255 posts, and 1,015,739 views later... R.I.P. LoL Bump thread 03/27/2008 ~ 02/16/2011.
      Link to my build: Audi A3 3.2 VR6 BT
      CleanAudi.com feature