Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AIRBAG FAULT warning light and VAGCOM Fault Code 00588

1. 06-01-2009 11:23 AM #26
      What you are saying would make sense. I have an issue with a switch inside the seat belt latch with the result being that the airbag light remains on all the time. The seat belt works fine though. It would be incredibly shortsided of VW engineers to totally disable a system such as the airbag system for such a minor fault. Seems to me that the light staying on only indicates that there is an issue to be resolved and not total disabling of such a critical system.
      But, as others have asked, do you know for a fact that this is true or is it just your "common sense"?

2. 06-01-2009 05:44 PM #27
      http://www.justanswer.com/ques...eetle
      http://www.alldatadiy.com/tech....html
      <-- Food for thought.... I have no idea if it is true or not (not certified in cars), but the fix noted above appears to have fixed it... No light anymore.

Modified by sinnerFA at 5:46 PM 6-1-2009

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Golf TDI, 2002 GTI VR6
      06-01-2009 09:12 PM #28
      I can't find this connector on a 94 Golf that is getting the same error (per the dealer).
      Build date 12/31/93 (even has a tranny dipstick). All I know is that the SRS light is on.
      I haven't figured out how to get the seat out but looking under there I don't see the connector. I see a few wires that go to a red clip and a few wires that go to the trunk release.
      If it's there can someone please give me the rundown of seat removal? The RR slide is off one of the plastic clips.
      I don't have a lot of luck searching here - although I did find this thread.
      I should mention that before looking here I tried swapping steering wheels and airbag. I had everything plugged in and "laying in there" turned the key, light flashed off then back on. Unless that did it and I need to clear it. If it needs cleared will a chead ODBII do it (it is a 94) , or my vag-com software?

Modified by davebugs at 8:08 PM 6-2-2009

4. 06-02-2009 01:17 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by sugarbuggy &raquo;
      What you are saying would make sense. I have an issue with a switch inside the seat belt latch with the result being that the airbag light remains on all the time. The seat belt works fine though. It would be incredibly shortsided of VW engineers to totally disable a system such as the airbag system for such a minor fault. Seems to me that the light staying on only indicates that there is an issue to be resolved and not total disabling of such a critical system.
      But, as others have asked, do you know for a fact that this is true or is it just your "common sense"?

I guess I don't think it is short-sighted to disable the airbags in your scenario. If the seat belts are not functioning (as the car sees it) the airbag is more like a high-pressure uppercut to the face instead of a tool to help save lives. I'm standing by my mechanic (VW/Audi only guy) in thinking that no bags will deploy when the light is on.

5. 06-03-2009 09:04 AM #30
      LateraLex,
      Not to play devil's advocate, but in the case of a functioning airbag system if you don't buckle up, the airbag light does not remain on when driving so I presume then that it would be enabled and would thus be employed in a collision. So, I can't agree totally with your logic though I do understand that in some cases airbags can create more injury.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      06-03-2009 11:16 AM #31
      How about a basic question.
      I see MKIV and MKV's discussed in this thread.
      Same errors on MKIII's?
      With the same fix?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      06-03-2009 03:34 PM #32
      On the MKIII I'm working on there aren't any yellow conectors.
      A red connector that looks perhaps like it's looking to see if anyone is on the seat since it's directly under the middle of the cushion connecting to a metal bracket.
      The other wire (this is a Golf) is for the hatch release button.
      Think it's the same deal? In this case the switch is bad? Just jumper the wires?

Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30
      06-04-2009 08:49 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by LateraLex &raquo;
      Fixxxer what is your source of information? My mechanic was dogmatic about it - about as much so as you are. If you are an "official" source I'd love to hear it. My instinct goes against what you are saying, however. If there is a chance an airbag is not functioning properly - it would be perfectly reasonable to assume that the car would not attempt to fire the bags.

9. 06-04-2009 10:13 PM #34
      Looks good to me! All I know is the damn fix worked.... Thanks again Fixxxer!

Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30
      06-04-2009 10:37 PM #35
      No problem.

11. 06-08-2009 04:12 PM #36
      Will this fix work on a 2006 Jetta 2.0T

Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30
      06-08-2009 09:51 PM #37
      Yup. This fix was originally released for the Mk5 VW line but has since had positive results in the Mk4's as well.

13. 08-21-2009 12:40 PM #38
      will this work for a 2001 Cabrio?

14. 08-21-2009 05:52 PM #39
      Fixxxer, this seems like some really great info your helping everyone else out with. I have the same problem (00588), but when I scan my air bag mod with my VagCom it also comes up with 00532- Supply Voltage 07-10 Signal too low-Intermittent. Since both these codes come up together will you "under the seat fix" still work??? I sure hope so.

15. 08-25-2009 12:53 AM #40
      My fault is 00591 and
      008 - Implausible SIgnal - Intermittent - MIL on
      I assume the fix is still the same: get the connector out of the circuit?
      Thanks!

16. 09-16-2009 09:25 PM #41
      Just to be clear, the connector pair is totally removed and replaced with wires, right? Or do you simply extend the cable by splicing in wires to prevent stressing the connection as the seat slides back and forth?
      Thanks

17. 09-16-2009 11:27 PM #42
      Fixxer-
      Am I understanding right to believe that you just need to do away with the yellow connector?
      so, essentially..adding in a connector like this would be the same as jumper'ing the wires and just making long solid wires by using insulated crimping tubes or something.(similar, maybe not exact)In order to be able to freely remove the seats without re-cutting and fixing.

18. 09-17-2009 10:01 AM #43
      Changing to the connectors you show would be the same as leaving the yellow ones and extending the cable length, but if the intention is to eliminate the connectors then it would not fix the error light.

19. 09-18-2009 07:03 PM #44
      Fixxxer,
      Will this fix work on a 2004 Beetle convertible? I have the same error "drivers side air bag igniter Limit HIgh". I replaced the drivers side seatbelt as it had a few broken wires at the buckle. This fixed the seat belt code, but the airbag light is still on with the igniter high code.
      Thanks!!

09-24-2009 12:08 PM #45
      this maybe a dumb question but based on this photo, http://www.flickr.com/photos/2...87793, the wires on each side of the plug do not match up. I am assuming I am following pin to pin with a one to one connection. Is this correct?
      Thanks

21. 09-24-2009 12:24 PM #46
      You definitely want to match by pin #'s. I realized that is why he says to leave a short length of wire when you cut off the connectors; so you can tell what color is where. If the colors going into both connectors matched, you could easily see which ones to connect.
      I thought the instructions wre ambiguos when he said "connector" instead of "connectors"; "connector" could have meant you leave some length of the wires so you can splice in the new wires and see how to reconnect.

22. 10-04-2009 05:26 PM #47
      So just to recap....you simply cut out the connector match up the wires and resolder them together? And that fixes the problem, the airbag light will then simply go out? So what are we saying that the connector has a connection issue?
      TIA

23. 10-04-2009 09:21 PM #48
      You will have to have the light reset after you replace the connectors. Try to find someone in your area that has the VAG-COM device. Or you can order a device to reset it on ebay. Make sure the error code is the same as that in the start of this thread first.

24. 10-04-2009 11:19 PM #49
      Thanks for the info....the VAG-com they sell on ebay is just the cable with adaptor isn't it? What about the software? Can you provide examples of this kit?
      TIA

25. 10-04-2009 11:40 PM #50
      ok...why is the ebay vag-com less than $50 and the one from ross labs is $350? what's the difference?
      TIA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast