Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AIRBAG FAULT warning light and VAGCOM Fault Code 00588

1. 01-16-2009 01:10 PM #1

My MFD / dashboard instrument cluster shows AIRBAG FAULT whilst VAGCOM reports the following:

Address 15: Airbags
      Controller: 6Q0 909 605 B
      Component: 05 AIRBAG VW5 0003
      Coding: 12341
      Shop #: WSC 00028
      1 Fault Found:
      00588 - Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N95)
      32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent

Does this suggest simply (hopefully) a poor wiring connection to any of (i) the airbag within the steering (ii) the crash sensor under the driver's seat cross member or (iii) the airbag control unit J234 by the bulkhead on the right of the accelerator.

Or maybe it suggests a faulty crash sensor or airbag controller unit.

Or maybe it suggests that I should GSI (get Someone In) because it is none of the above and it is very complicated?

2. Forum Sponsor Santos@Ross-Tech.com's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2008 GTI
      01-22-2009 11:26 AM #2
      VCDS Diagnostic System For VW/AUDI/SEAT/Skoda/Bentley
      www.Ross-Tech.com

Vehicles
      Forester XT, MK5 Rabbit
      01-22-2009 07:36 PM #3
      I have that code currently as well. A fellow texer reccomended changing out the seatbelt. I am just awaiting it to come in the mail. I will let you know if it works for me.

4. 01-23-2009 06:18 AM #4
      I will replace this part first (amazingly known by 5 different names) revert:->

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2...22164/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/2...21386/

5. Banned
      01-26-2009 02:23 AM #5
      thats the airbag harness in the seat the **** up all the time there not expensive change it and problem solved

Modified by greekspec at 10:25 PM 1-25-2009

Vehicles
      2003 Gti, 2001 Wolfsburg
      01-26-2009 02:28 AM #6
      keep us up to date. my friends 05 gti has the same problem and code. thanks
      The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #268 "Like 6 cylinder of 15 degree sex"

(_fishbowl society_)

Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30
      01-26-2009 05:50 PM #7
      Okay, listen to me, and listen well because this IS the solution to the problem and it costs NOTHING to do!!

Remove the drivers seat from the vehicle after disconnecting the battery of course.

Under the seat attached to the frame of the seat you will likely find a yellow connector with three wires going into each side of it. Don't be afraid of what i'm about to say. Cut out that connector and splice in three wires in its place about 3 inches long. Make sure when you cut out the connector you leave a little bit of wire in it so you can see what wire matches up with it's partner.

Before you join the ends of the replacement wires together, be sure to twist them around each other (I don't mean twist the exposed wire, rather twist the 3 wires around each other) and then join the wires to their partner wire.

Clear the Airbag code and problem solved.

Vehicles
      2003 Gti, 2001 Wolfsburg
      01-29-2009 07:48 PM #8

thats pretty crazy. how did you come to this conclusion?

Conector is no good??

The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #268 "Like 6 cylinder of 15 degree sex"

(_fishbowl society_)

Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30
      01-29-2009 08:27 PM #9
      I came to the conclusion because i'm a tech at a VW/Audi dealership and have done this repair a crap load of times. There is a VW Tech Bulletin on it. It's not a recall because it don't happen to all vehicles, but if we do see it come into the shop, that's the suggested repair. Works every time!

10. 01-31-2009 03:45 AM #10
      Fixxxr,

I cannot believe it ! - 30 minutes ago I replaced the wiring you suggested under the driver's seat, then cleared the VAGCOM code. Careful work, the right thickness of new wires and attention to detail and, hey it seems to have worked first time.

The MFD on the Dashboard / Instrument Cluster no longer reports "Airbag Fault" - first time for weeks - and the VAGCOM fault code has not come back.

Management / Her Indoors / Wifey was getting impatient and wanted to take my Passat to a dealer and pay loadsamoney for a fix.

I found your tip easy to follow and can post pictures on Flickr if anyone wants to see the wires.

I have spent days on this problem and have been misled my the description "drivers side". I now know this means "the side airbag in the driver's seat airbag" rather than "the driver's side, as opposed to the passenger's side, and hence in the steering wheel airbag".

Thank you so much. If you ever need tips on how to fix a Yamaha FZ6-S, Windows Vista, Sony Ericsson K80i or K770i mobile phones, feel free to IM / PM me.

I will keep my fingers crossed for a few days and if the fault does not come back, have a beer to celebrate.

Cheers, Kevin

11. 01-31-2009 03:48 AM #11
      PS: next stage would have been to keep Measuring Block 15 Airbag / Blocks 1-5 running and jiggle any wires I could find e.g. to the sensor, the controller and the CCM (if the latter was relevant).

Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30
      01-31-2009 10:32 AM #12
      Glad it worked.

13. 02-21-2009 11:55 PM #13
      Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I really need a little clarification. I've got the 00588 Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N95). Will this fix work on an 02 Jetta? Also I'm a little confused as to the location of the yellow connector referred too. Are you talking about the airbag connector that plugs from the car into the seat? If so, do I cut the car side plug out and the seat side plug out and then join the remaining wires together? If anyone has any input or maybe a picture of what needs cutting and what the end result is I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys,
      Abram

14. 02-22-2009 04:56 AM #14

Ahardy4 -

Please see the attached picture. http://www.flickr.com/photos/2...87793/

I do not know if this is the same for a Jetta but it is quite possible. I removed the two-part yellow connector shown in the picture and simply put in three wires to replace the then removed connector.

I cannot guarantee this will fix your fault but I tried lots of other things, including replacing the clock spring without success. Remember to clear the codes after this fix.

15. 02-22-2009 11:55 AM #15
      Headache5678,

Thanks for the photo. I thought that was the connector you were referring too, but just wanted to make sure. I'll give this a try and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30
      02-24-2009 07:22 PM #16
      This fix works on Mk4's, Mk5's and some Audi's as well.

Vehicles
      MK4 VR Jetta
      02-27-2009 02:27 PM #17
      I have the same problem and the dealer was telling me it was my clock spring. Those scumbags I'm gonna try this first.
      My most prized possession is your girlfriend's heart:thumb:

18. 05-12-2009 08:39 PM #18
      You should all be aware:

The airbags will not deploy when the airbag light is active. It disables all the airbags in the vehicle. So, if you think you can fix it - do it fast, otherwise get someone to do it before you find yourself kissing the dashboard...

19. 05-29-2009 07:30 PM #19
      Anyone know off the top of their head what is the gauge of the wires?

20. 05-30-2009 04:07 AM #20

I cannot remnember but you can get an approximation from this picture:->

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2...87793/

I believe the current passing through the wire is low.

Given the regular movement of the driver's seat forward and back, the flexibility and durability of the wires are more important, so go for multi-strand / flex wire rather than single-strand / stiff wire.

21. 05-30-2009 01:27 PM #21
      k, thanks!

22. 05-30-2009 03:40 PM #22
      Well, the gauge of the wire is 20, but I had used 18 (That is for anyone else who is going to try this fix). Anyway I bypassed the plug, which took about 15mins total and went to clear the fault and Vag-Com wouldn't allow me to connect to it. After 4 re-tries (ignition off then on) it allowed me to connect to it and clear the error.

Thanks for everyone's help (Fixxxer and headache5678) in such an easy fix!

Not to mention it kept me from dealing with the hassle and financial obligations that go along with the dealerships. Even though I have an extended warranty...

Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30
      05-31-2009 07:54 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by LateraLex »
      You should all be aware:

The airbags will not deploy when the airbag light is active. It disables all the airbags in the vehicle. So, if you think you can fix it - do it fast, otherwise get someone to do it before you find yourself kissing the dashboard...

This is completely and entirely untrue. Under NO circumstance will the Airbag system completely disable itself. If there is a fault in the system and the airbag light is on when you get in an accident, the Airbag system will still send out every signal it needs too in order to protect the occupants. If you have a faulty airbag, the module will still send the signals to deploy it in a "well maybe it WILL work" scenario and all other airbags that DO work will deploy normally.

24. 05-31-2009 09:26 PM #24
      Fixxxer what is your source of information? My mechanic was dogmatic about it - about as much so as you are. If you are an "official" source I'd love to hear it. My instinct goes against what you are saying, however. If there is a chance an airbag is not functioning properly - it would be perfectly reasonable to assume that the car would not attempt to fire the bags.

25. 06-01-2009 04:54 AM #25
      Lateral Ex,

I agree it is safest to assume the worst, that the airbags will not deploy because of a fault that causes the Airbag Warning Light to come on.

However, common sense tells me that deployment (or not) is dependent on what the fault is, rather than whether the light is, or is not, illuminated. I suspect that, in most cases, the airbags will deploy anyway, especially where the fault is an intermittent one (like mine was).

Fixxer was the only person to come up with the correct solution after many other people told me that I needed to fit a new airbag, or a new clock spring.

26. 06-01-2009 12:23 PM #26
      What you are saying would make sense. I have an issue with a switch inside the seat belt latch with the result being that the airbag light remains on all the time. The seat belt works fine though. It would be incredibly shortsided of VW engineers to totally disable a system such as the airbag system for such a minor fault. Seems to me that the light staying on only indicates that there is an issue to be resolved and not total disabling of such a critical system.

But, as others have asked, do you know for a fact that this is true or is it just your "common sense"?

27. 06-01-2009 06:44 PM #27
      http://www.justanswer.com/ques...eetle
      http://www.alldatadiy.com/tech....html
      <-- Food for thought.... I have no idea if it is true or not (not certified in cars), but the fix noted above appears to have fixed it... No light anymore.

Modified by sinnerFA at 5:46 PM 6-1-2009

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Golf TDI, 2002 GTI VR6
      06-01-2009 10:12 PM #28
      I can't find this connector on a 94 Golf that is getting the same error (per the dealer).
      Build date 12/31/93 (even has a tranny dipstick). All I know is that the SRS light is on.

I haven't figured out how to get the seat out but looking under there I don't see the connector. I see a few wires that go to a red clip and a few wires that go to the trunk release.

If it's there can someone please give me the rundown of seat removal? The RR slide is off one of the plastic clips.

I don't have a lot of luck searching here - although I did find this thread.

I should mention that before looking here I tried swapping steering wheels and airbag. I had everything plugged in and "laying in there" turned the key, light flashed off then back on. Unless that did it and I need to clear it. If it needs cleared will a chead ODBII do it (it is a 94) , or my vag-com software?

Modified by davebugs at 8:08 PM 6-2-2009

29. 06-02-2009 02:17 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by sugarbuggy »
      What you are saying would make sense. I have an issue with a switch inside the seat belt latch with the result being that the airbag light remains on all the time. The seat belt works fine though. It would be incredibly shortsided of VW engineers to totally disable a system such as the airbag system for such a minor fault. Seems to me that the light staying on only indicates that there is an issue to be resolved and not total disabling of such a critical system.

But, as others have asked, do you know for a fact that this is true or is it just your "common sense"?

I guess I don't think it is short-sighted to disable the airbags in your scenario. If the seat belts are not functioning (as the car sees it) the airbag is more like a high-pressure uppercut to the face instead of a tool to help save lives. I'm standing by my mechanic (VW/Audi only guy) in thinking that no bags will deploy when the light is on.

30. 06-03-2009 10:04 AM #30
      LateraLex,

Not to play devil's advocate, but in the case of a functioning airbag system if you don't buckle up, the airbag light does not remain on when driving so I presume then that it would be enabled and would thus be employed in a collision. So, I can't agree totally with your logic though I do understand that in some cases airbags can create more injury.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      06-03-2009 12:16 PM #31
      How about a basic question.

I see MKIV and MKV's discussed in this thread.

Same errors on MKIII's?

With the same fix?

32. Member
      Vehicles
      06-03-2009 04:34 PM #32
      On the MKIII I'm working on there aren't any yellow conectors.

A red connector that looks perhaps like it's looking to see if anyone is on the seat since it's directly under the middle of the cushion connecting to a metal bracket.

The other wire (this is a Golf) is for the hatch release button.

Think it's the same deal? In this case the switch is bad? Just jumper the wires?

Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30
      06-04-2009 09:49 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by LateraLex »
      Fixxxer what is your source of information? My mechanic was dogmatic about it - about as much so as you are. If you are an "official" source I'd love to hear it. My instinct goes against what you are saying, however. If there is a chance an airbag is not functioning properly - it would be perfectly reasonable to assume that the car would not attempt to fire the bags.

34. 06-04-2009 11:13 PM #34
      Looks good to me! All I know is the damn fix worked.... Thanks again Fixxxer!

Vehicles
      2014 GLI E30
      06-04-2009 11:37 PM #35
      No problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast