VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

AIRBAG FAULT warning light and VAGCOM Fault Code 00588

182K views 91 replies 51 participants last post by  rhudon 
#1 ·

My MFD / dashboard instrument cluster shows AIRBAG FAULT whilst VAGCOM reports the following:
Address 15: Airbags
Controller: 6Q0 909 605 B
Component: 05 AIRBAG VW5 0003
Coding: 12341
Shop #: WSC 00028
1 Fault Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter: Driver Side (N95)
32-10 - Resistance too High - Intermittent
Does this suggest simply (hopefully) a poor wiring connection to any of (i) the airbag within the steering (ii) the crash sensor under the driver's seat cross member or (iii) the airbag control unit J234 by the bulkhead on the right of the accelerator.
Or maybe it suggests a faulty crash sensor or airbag controller unit.
Or maybe it suggests that I should GSI (get Someone In) because it is none of the above and it is very complicated?

See less See more
#52 ·
Re: (DasKosmischeVonUT)

Probably should have been a bit more specific. The under-seat repair is for the side airbag ignitor only. Just the one built into the side of your seat near your head.
When you cut out that connector, bu sure you splice in a piece of wire 3 inches long between each joined section to compensate for the removed plug or you may get another Airbag light because the resistance value the Airbag module is looking for will be different.
You won't need to add another quick release plug because this mod will not affect the removal of your seats because the entire seat harness plugs into connectors on the floor.

#53 ·
Re: (Fixxxer)

i need an explanation concerning my jetta ...
so last winter i had the exact same code:
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
33-10 - Resistance too Low - Intermittent
each time the weather was really bad with temperature below freezing (20F), i would find this code ...
i read in a tech bulletin (01-00-07) saying that this code which appeared with the low temperature is related with the wiring harness behind the clock spring ...i changed the harness in front and behind the clock spring jut in case ..and no more code !!!
BUT after changing the harnesses , the temperatures never dropped that low ...
will i have some problem the next winter or i was right about changing the harness behind the clock spring ???
thans fixxxer for your answer!!!

#54 ·
Re: (SJS02)

The reset device, which is about $40, only does a reset and does not read codes. The cable with software, which is about $15, uses a scaled back version of the VAG-COM software but should be able to read most codes and do the reset. I'd send questions to the seller before you buy, but that is what they told me. I ended up not having to buy either.

#61 ·
Re: AIRBAG FAULT warning light and VAGCOM Fault Code 00588 (sudheendrar)

FYI OP the N95 is the driver side front airbag( steering wheel). I don't recommend going and splicing the wires under the seat for that. Be careful when working on airbag systems and wires. Just because a certified vw tech says something works...... There is a technical solution for seat harnesses, yes, but that has nothing to do with a driver side front N95 bag. N195 and N95 are 2 different airbags. Please folks, don't go just cutting into your harness because someone over the internet told you so.

#77 ·
Airbag harness under seat, opposed to airbag problem at drivers bag.

FYI OP the N95 is the driver side front airbag( steering wheel). I don't recommend going and splicing the wires under the seat for that. Be careful when working on airbag systems and wires. Just because a certified vw tech says something works...... There is a technical solution for seat harnesses, yes, but that has nothing to do with a driver side front N95 bag. N195 and N95 are 2 different airbags. Please folks, don't go just cutting into your harness because someone over the internet told you so.

I agree with what this guy is saying. I am a VW tech myself and a Drivers front airbag fault has nothing to do with a divers side airbag in the seat or the seat belt latch problem. Don't go cutting any of your airbag harnesses unless you have waterproof heat shrink wire connectors and extra heat shrink tubing to seal up any possible short circuits to your wiring to another wire or ground. It is not a good idea at all to cut out any quick disconnects under the seat that would prevent you from pulling the seat out in the future easily without cutting the wires you spliced in. Think serviceability before any repairs are performed, don't be an idiot and straight wire everything in your car just because it cancels a light.

#62 ·
Re: AIRBAG FAULT warning light and VAGCOM Fault Code 00588 (Fixxxer)

I just replaced my 2000 golf seats with 2004 GLI seats. I spliced in the old connector from the old seats, and the airbag light is on. Now I read your advice.
So I'll cut out the connectors, replace with wire pieces. How about the smaller connector going to the seat belt on the driver's side? Cut out that connector too?
After hooking up the battery again, will the light go off, or do I need to re-set "codes" with "vagcom"? I don't have any special tools to check codes.
Thanks for your reply!

#67 ·
Audi RS4 Airbag

I have change the passenger seat in my 2006 RS4 for a standard A4 seat(bony assed wife) no I don't want to change her either(no comments please). Now my airbag light is on will this fix work for me. This car is in Ireland so does a European spec car make a differance to this fix. Please any info would be greately appericated.:screwy:

#70 ·
Re:AIRBAG FAULT warning light and VAGCOM Fault Code 00588Reply to Thread.

For anyone in doubt.
The instructions provided by Fixxxer (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Code-00588&p=54799334&viewfull=1#post54799334)
resolved
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)

The instructions provided by Penclnck (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4266980#post55699883)
resolved

The steps were performed on a 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX.
Thanks!

#75 ·
For anyone in doubt.
The instructions provided by Fixxxer (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Code-00588&p=54799334&viewfull=1#post54799334)
resolved
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)

The instructions provided by Penclnck (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4266980#post55699883)
resolved

The steps were performed on a 2000 Jetta VR6 GLX.
Thanks!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

PLEASE make note of which specific airbag your dub is complaining about. N199 is the SIDE airbag and N95 is the steering wheel airbag.

I had the N95 variety and also could hear scratching noise from the steering column when turning the wheel. The noise was from a failed clock spring, available from amazon or O'Reilly's (Dorman brand) for $40. I got mine from amazon and did the swap and I'm now clear of any airbag warning lights on my 2000 Jetta GLS. :beer::beer:

#76 ·
Airbag harness under seat, opposed to airbag problem at drivers bag.

I agree with what this guy is saying. I am a VW tech myself and a Drivers front airbag fault has nothing to do with a divers side airbag in the seat or the seat belt latch problem. Don't go cutting any of your airbag harnesses unless you have waterproof heat shrink wire connectors and extra heat shrink tubing to seal up any possible short circuits to your wiring to another wire or ground. It is not a good idea at all to cut out any quick disconnects under the seat that would prevent you from pulling the seat out in the future easily without cutting the wires you spliced in. Think serviceability before any repairs are performed, don't be an idiot and straight wire everything in your car just because it cancels a light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.