VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

New Product Development 2.5L L/W Single Mass Flywheel and Clutch kits , Shipped Ground Lower 48

191K views 145 replies 49 participants last post by  FourSeasonTuning.com 
#1 · (Edited)
Flywheel and Kits Below

FST 228MM L/W Single Mass Steel Billet Flywheel Includes Ring Gear $324.95 Shipped Ground ,

FST 228MM L/W Single Mass Steel Billet Flywheel Without Ring Gear $309.95 Shipped Ground ,

FST 228MM L/W Single Mass Alloy Flywheel Includes Ring Gear $389.95 Shipped Ground ,

FST 228MM L/W Single Mass Alloy Flywheel Without Ring Gear $369.95 Shipped Ground ,

FST 228MM L/W Single Mass Alloy Flywheel W/ Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit $559.95 Shipped Ground ,

FST 228MM L/W Single Mass Steel Billet Flywheel W/ Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit $499.95 Shipped Ground ,

FST 228MM L/W Single Mass Alloy Flywheel W/ Clutchnet Stage 2 VR6 Clutch Kit $749.95 Shipped Ground ,
FST 228MM L/W Single Mass Steel Billet Flywheel W/ Clutchnet Stage 2 VR6 Clutch Kit $679.95 Shipped Ground ,

FST 228MM L/W Single Mass Alloy Flywheel W/ Clutchnet Stage 3 VR6 Clutch Kit $759.95 Shipped Ground ,
FST 228MM L/W Single Mass Steel Billet Flywheel W/ Clutchnet Stage 3 VR6 Clutch Kit $694.95 Shipped Ground

OEM 2.5 Dual Mass Flywheel W/ Ring Gear 22.7 LBS
OEM Clutch Disc & Pressure Plate 10.1 LBS
Total Weight 32.8 LBS

FST Alloy Single Mass Flywheel/ Ring Gear 10.0 LBS
Sachs VR6 Clutch Disc & Pressure Plate 13.1 LBS
Total Weight 23.1 LBS
Total Overall Weight Reduction 9.7 LBS W/ Alloy FW

FST Steel Billet Single Mass Flywheel/ Ring Gear 14.0 LBS
Sachs VR6 Clutch Disc & Pressure Plate 13.1 LBS
Total Weight 23.1 LBS
Total Overall Weight Reduction 5.7 LBS W/ Steel

By using a heavier Clutch Disc & Pressure Plate this will add 3 more
pounds to the Alloy flywheel (as compared to the OEM 2.5 Clutch Disc &
Pressure Plate ) making it feel like a 13 pound flywheel. This overall
weight reduction is 9.7 pounds. A steel version could be made if the
alloy one ends up being too light and or a heavier version is wanted.

Here are some examples of other weights of OEM Flywheels (Engines of
similar power)
All OEM Single Mass Cast VR6 12V flywheels are 17.75 pounds w/ ring gear.
Many users have switched to a L/W Steel Billet Flywheel that weighs in at 11.75 w/ ring gear fitted.
Also available are slightly heavier Cast steel Single Mass w/ ring gear at 13.80 pounds ( still lighter than stock).

MK4 1.8T W/ 5 speed users are changing the OEM DM 22 pound flywheel
and converting to A Single Mass as well.
Again using the same weight as a 12V VR6 single mass steel billet
flywheel that weighs in at 11.75 w/ ring gear fitted.Also available
are slightly heavier Cast steel Single Mass w/ ring gear at 14
pounds.Both of the these flywheels were created in the aftermarket as a
performance part designed for the Corrado G60 and are using the very
proven Sachs VR6 clutch kit ( this Sachs kit is rated to 250-275
Torque and takes more)

1.8T & 2.8 24V VR6 W/ 6 speed 02M 6 speed users are changing the OEM DM
26.5 pound flywheel to A Single Mass type as well. 16.5 single mass
steel billet w/ ring gear this takes 10 pounds off and does not chatter.

Clutch Kits without Flywheel

2.5L Stage 1 Clutch Kit $215.00 Shipped Ground ( Includes 228MM Sachs Pressure Plate, Sachs Sprung Hub Disc,Sachs T/O bearing. Rated at 275 TQ at flywheel.Must be used with FST228-2.5AFW.

2.5L Stage 1 Clutch Kit

2.5L Stage 2 Clutch Kit $375.99 Shipped Ground ( Includes 228MM Clutchnet Yellow Pressure Plate, Clutchnet Disc w/ Steel covered 6 spring Hub,Sachs T/O bearing and alignment tool. Rated at 375 TQ at flywheel.Must be used with FST228-2.5AFW.

2.5L Stage 2 Clutch Kit

2.5L Stage 3 Clutch Kit $554.95 Shipped Ground ( Includes 228MM Clutchnet Red Pressure Plate, Clutchnet Disc w/ Steel covered 6 spring Hub, Sachs T/O bearing and alignment tool. Rated at 445 TQ at flywheel. Must be used with FST228-2.5AFW.

2.5LStage 3 Clutch Kit

2.5L Stage 2X Kevlar Clutch Kit $445.00 Shipped Ground ( Includes 228MM Clutchnet Red Pressure Plate,Kevlar Clutchnet Disc w/ Steel covered 6 spring Hub, Sachs T/O bearing and alignment tool. Rated at 400 TQ at flywheel. Must be used with FST228-2.5AFW.

2.5L Stage 2X Clutch Kit

2.5L Stage 2X Fiber Carbon Clutch Kit $445.00 Shipped Ground ( Includes 228MM Clutchnet Red Pressure Plate,Fiber Carbon Clutchnet Disc w/ Steel covered 6 spring Hub, Sachs T/O bearing and alignment tool. Rated at 400 TQ at flywheel. Must be used with FST228-2.5AFW.

2.5L Stage 2X Clutch Kit

California residents will be charged 7.75 % sales tax.

The current site only has a fraction of the parts listed that we carry.Please contact us if the items you seek are not on the site. Competitive pricing, Fast shipping, If you see a lower price let us know, chances are we can work with you.

Questions at 714-997-5842 M-F 10-6 PST

Email is better than IM
sales(AT)fourseasontuning.com*

Thanks for looking.
James

AKA wld101turkey

See less See more
#53 ·
So I'm planning on a little forced induction on my 08 rabbit.I'm really not looking for crazy power (under 300 whp) what would you say is the best clutch and flywheel set up you'd recommend? I'm wanting something that holds well yet feels slightly stiffer than stock.I've had act clutches before on a few of my other cars as well as their lightened steel fly wheel.I really liked it but was only stage 2 on a naturally aspirated motor.what would be my best bet? And a rough price would be nice too? Thanks in advance.

I don't want to keep the dual mass flywheel at all. But am concerned about long term reliability. Your fly wheels can be resurfaced right?

#54 · (Edited)
#55 ·
another quick question...

is it possible for me to just use a 228mm vr6 flywheel?
I want to upgrade the clutch however am not sure i want to get the lightened flywheel just yet.

if i can use the vr6 flywheel i'd be very interested to find out what needs to be done to use it. and then i'd be able to get the stage 2 clutch kit

thanks in advance!

#57 ·
Ok great thank you for the help...
Last question, what transmission do I have? I would like to get an lsd installed while the tranny is out. My code on top of the box is
sorry they are upside down...
Again what do I have?

#66 ·
FV-QR

So I'm about 250-260ish to the wheels, and I'm wondering how the sachs vr6 kit will hold up before I go throwing down. I've read and seen boosted VRT's with more power hold just fine on theirs, I'm just needing to make sure it'll work (vr6 sachs clutch/steel fw). I only see autox once a month, then the rest is easy driving.

#70 ·
FV-QR

So I installed my Stage two kit with the billet steel flywheel today, and my car isn't working right at all. It grinds when It goes into reverse (cables adjusted properly) and every gear is hard to get into unless you're already moving. The clutch pedal lets out low now, and when I managed to make my way home (20 mile drive) the clutch was chattering at idle, pretty bad. Everything came out correctly and went back together correctly, torqued properly. Shifter cables adjusted (followed proper procedure and ended up doing it like 70 times), slave cylinder bled (figured that may be the issue), and I have no Idea what could be wrong.

What I'm assuming is the clutch is a shorter height than the factory dual mass and it's not disengaging all the way, but I used the sachs TO bearing you guys sent me, I don't know if that makes up for the bit of extra travel the pedal needs to reach the new flywheel... I'm confused, and I want to light my car on fire.

#73 ·
So I installed my Stage two kit with the billet steel flywheel today, and my car isn't working right at all. It grinds when It goes into reverse (cables adjusted properly) and every gear is hard to get into unless you're already moving.
not all nor all the time... but almost always 1st to 2nd is hard... same as 5th to 6th.

The clutch pedal lets out low now
( same here... i've learned to drive it... but it wasnt pretty... and its a lot lower than factory... )
, and when I managed to make my way home (20 mile drive) the clutch was chattering at idle, pretty bad.
mine chatters, but it isnt BAD... only way to notice it its with the radio off.
Everything came out correctly and went back together correctly, torqued properly. Shifter cables adjusted (followed proper procedure and ended up doing it like 70 times), slave cylinder bled (figured that may be the issue), and I have no Idea what could be wrong.
mee too...!i have bleed the clutch several times...!

What I'm assuming is the clutch is a shorter height than the factory dual mass and it's not disengaging all the way, but I used the sachs TO bearing you guys sent me, I don't know if that makes up for the bit of extra travel the pedal needs to reach the new flywheel... I'm confused, and I want to light my car on fire.
i'm also voicing my concerns! at first i thought this was cause of several different issues, such as improper torque, or improper install, or the tranny just being abused... now i know what the cause is.

i'm using the 19lb flywheel for the 6speed GTI tranny... stock clutch.

i dont want to light the car on fire... but i agree..! clutch engament isnt the best all the time..!!

i'm sorta happy to know that it isnt my driving skills, nor the install or anything other than the flywheel.

#71 ·
FV-QR

Update: Just put 60 more miles on the car and as long as it's rolling, it'll go into gear fine. It's a bit hard to get into first at a stop, and reverse LURCHES, grinds a little, then goes into gear. I have no idea what could be causing this... It was perfect, just slipping with the old setup. Funny part is my old clutch disk was fine, but the DMF had a lot of play in it.

#72 ·
Update: Just put 60 more miles on the car and as long as it's rolling, it'll go into gear fine. It's a bit hard to get into first at a stop, and reverse LURCHES, grinds a little, then goes into gear. I have no idea what could be causing this... It was perfect, just slipping with the old setup. Funny part is my old clutch disk was fine, but the DMF had a lot of play in it.
in mine its sometimes "hard" to get into first...

when it starts behaving that way, i just start on second... it isnt often... but it happens... and it happens like 1 a week.

#74 ·
FV-QR

Yeah, I can't figure out the lurching into reverse though... It feels like to me that the TO bearing isn't engaging all the way. It felt like that on my datsun when the salve cylinder died... The pedal got low and it wouldn't fully engage when you pushed in the clutch pedal, and it also was hard to get into gear/grind/lurch. Is our slave cylinder piston not long enough with the new clutch setup?

#75 ·
i dunno... again, i feel happy to know that the causes arent a bad tranny, bad install, etc.. rather it is the flywheel...

not really happy about it... dont like it, and as of right now, i wouldnt recommend the product... but i do have to say that the service and price were good.

and when i bought this, on the phone... i was told about the chatter, no one said anything about hard shifts, and other stuff.

#76 ·
So riddle me this. Yesterday after the install, Reverse was grinding/lurching, and it was really hard to get it into first/second from a standstill. Bled the crap out of the slave cylinder, no air. Adjusted the cables 20ish times, all seems to go into place. Chattered badly for 30 seconds before I shut the car off after the first drive.

Second drive: No noticeable chatter (other than what you'd expect from a performance clutch), gears still the same amount of suckage.

Today: I wake up, take another car to the auto parts store to get stuff to rebleed the system (only thing I can think of other than a massive mechanical failure). I get into the Rabbit, fire it up, put it into reverse to show the girlfriend how bad it is annnnnd.....

*Click*......... It works fine. -________-

What the heck?!?! All gears smooth as glass, drove it for a bit, even after warmed up, it's all smooth and silky, even reverse gives not a single peep. Am I missing something here?? Either way, I'm going to finish breaking it in and see if it goofs up again.

I would recommend this to anyone bumping up power, the flywheel is BEAUTIFUL, and everything looks so much more stout than the factory equipment. I'll report more as it breaks in, and I can get into boost!

#78 ·
Well today after a drive from Savannah to St. Augustine, it started out working perfectly, but when I got off of the exit.... Same problems again. It's been that way since then. I'm going to rebleed the entire brake/clutch system and see if that does the trick. If not, I'm not sure what's going on...

#80 · (Edited)
guys, just in case... i wasnt trully bashing...

its just that i have some issues, that may or may not be related to the product... i said that i cant recommend the prod just because i dont know if my issues are caused by it...

and by voicing my issues, maybe someone had a solution! :D

#81 ·
FV-QR

System was bled 3 more times, once with a pressure bleeder and I have the same issue. It's only after driving for a period of time. I'm by NO means bashing the product, I actually recommend it to people, it's 100000x grippier than the stock unit, and it feels like there's actually a clutch there. I'll be looking into it more, flushing the fluid/etc. and I'll let you know the findings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.