Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My door won't open NEED HELP!!

1. 01-19-2009 04:29 PM #1
      Before you flame and say to search I did, and couldn't find and answer to my question!

So I noticed my door wouldn't open from the outside when my friend was trying to get in the backseat. It opened from the inside, and like an idiot I turned the child safety lock. So now the door will not open from the inside or the outside.

Is there any possible way I can get to the cable to get the door open from the interior or exterior?? Can I take the door panel off without the door being open??

It's a 2003 Jetta GLS 1.8t

Any help is greatly apprieciated!! TIA

2. 01-19-2009 04:33 PM #2
      thats is 1 tight scene! good luck and here is a bump

3. 01-19-2009 04:35 PM #3
      thanks dude I need all the help I can get. Who can help me, please post!!!

Vehicles
      2003 Jetta TDI GLS
      01-19-2009 05:27 PM #4
      this is going to be interesting to say the least. is there a way to open the lock by using a coat hanger and sliding it down the window. Kind of like how thieves open doors.

5. 01-20-2009 02:37 AM #5
      umm i dont understand? the lock is in the up position, all other doors open. its just the rear right passenger door wont open from the inside or outside. so i can't take the door panel off.....bumppp

Vehicles
      mk4
      01-20-2009 02:47 AM #6
      hahahah sean, you ****!ng idiot!
      :super:

7. 01-20-2009 02:52 AM #7
      Good question, unfortunately I don't have an answer but a similar situation. i have an 02 jetta 2.0 the door opens from the inside but not the out. i took the door panel off but im not sure if its worth taking the other metal panel and disconnecting everything. is there a simpler solution?

8. 01-20-2009 05:10 AM #8
      Got the same problem!!! Still dont know how to solve the problem.

Vehicles
      2002 GTI, 2007 Wolfsburg
      01-20-2009 10:21 AM #9
      never heard of this free bump 4 u

10. 01-20-2009 11:16 AM #10
      I have the same problem, the child lock was on both rear doors, so I took them off and all was fine, then the right rear door just stopped opening from inside or out, the rear left door however is still fine. :S

Guess this door will stay closed for a while... :/

11. 01-20-2009 12:40 PM #11
      Theres a small steel wire that attaches the door handle to the lock mechanism, some times they break and need to be replaced. Do you feel any resistance when pullin on the door handle from the outside? if no and the lock pin is up (unlocked) that could be your problem.

As for the child safety lock being on, youi really shot your self in the foot there. You can get the door card off, you'll just have to break every clip and possibly the panel in the proccess. I had to do that on an acura once, not fun.

I can't recall but possibly carefully breaking apart your door handle and drilling out the metal backing plate might give you access to the lever that will release the door.

Good Luck.

12. 01-20-2009 01:31 PM #12
      Thanks for the advice, no there is no resistance from the door when pulling the handle from the inside or outside.

Yea, well I don't think it is the childlock now that I think about it, because once I turned it off on both doors they both opened from inside and out, then a day or two later one of my friends couldn't open it.

Since i'm putting central locking in the car I would really like to fix that real door aswell to get it over and done with, i'll be sure to post up the solution if/when I get the time to do it.

Thanks again.

13. 01-20-2009 05:10 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by drmerdp »
      Theres a small steel wire that attaches the door handle to the lock mechanism, some times they break and need to be replaced. Do you feel any resistance when pullin on the door handle from the outside? if no and the lock pin is up (unlocked) that could be your problem.

As for the child safety lock being on, youi really shot your self in the foot there. You can get the door card off, you'll just have to break every clip and possibly the panel in the proccess. I had to do that on an acura once, not fun.

I can't recall but possibly carefully breaking apart your door handle and drilling out the metal backing plate might give you access to the lever that will release the door.

Good Luck.

Yea it's definitely the steal wire, and I know i shot myself in the foot by turning the child safety lock on. Although there has to be some way to get the door panel off without breaking anything.

14. 01-21-2009 02:48 PM #14
      bumpppp

Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6, 2000 Audi A6 2.7T
      01-21-2009 03:06 PM #15
      You should be able to pull the door panel card off from the inside.. Take your back seat bottoms out before trying it.. You should be able to get at least the right side of the door card off.. Which will HOPEFULLY give you enough room to reach in to the left side and get the screw out and you can get everything but the bottom of the door card off.. Then just take off the panel behind the door card and you should have access to what you need - at least to open the door and take the child lock off. The only other way I see this happening is taking a thin but stiff wire and trying to insert it into the side of the door and trying to get the child lock switch off.. Don't quote me on any of that.. It's just the only way I can think to do it..

To the person who asked about a coat hanger down the window.. I think that can sometimes be used to unlock the door.. Not actually pop it open.. And I don't think it'd work on our locks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      I just want to know what sort of reaction you were expecting when you made this thread.

"I'm gonna show TCL how Bromode and kickass I am! That's sure to gain their respect and admiration!"

Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6, 2000 Audi A6 2.7T
      01-21-2009 03:07 PM #16
      Oh yeah.. I'm going on lunch break in about 20 minutes.. I've got a GTI so I can't even try this on my car.. But my buddy drives a Jetta so I'll see what we can find out!
      Quote Originally Posted by jackboots View Post
      I just want to know what sort of reaction you were expecting when you made this thread.

"I'm gonna show TCL how Bromode and kickass I am! That's sure to gain their respect and admiration!"

17. 01-21-2009 03:08 PM #17
      i will have to try that

18. 11-29-2009 02:10 PM #18
      Hey. I just shot myself in the foot too. My rear door wouldn't open from the outside - it had been like that for a while. Today the brilliant idea popped into my head "Hey I wonder if it's the child lock". So I turned the child lock, shut the door and voila - now it doesn't open from the outside OR this inside.

So - seeing no acvitiy on this post since January, I figure you've either solved the problem by now, or just admitted defeat... any updates on the status?

19. 11-29-2009 04:02 PM #19
      OK, well, that wasn't such a big deal. Thanks to this guy Brian Russell Simpson for his 'going in from the outside' idea: How do you fix a rear passenger door handle on a MK4 VW Golf with child lock enabled so the door cannot be opened from the inside The handle pulls and clicks but nothing happens?

First, let me say that you can access the inside of the door without being able to open it. As shown elsewhere on Vortex, pry off the interior door handle cover and remove the screws securing it to the door. From there you can start at the top by gently lifting/prying the top of the door card from the window channel. Next, gently but firmly pull the front edge of the panel off, then lower the rear seatback and pull the rear end off. Roll down the window and unplug the lock control and tweeter and disengage the latch cable. Now you can remove the bolts which hold the window carrier plate to the door. That's where I stopped. It seems that to remove the carrier plate you need to lower it from the opening, and with the door closed, you really can't do that. Having got that far, though, it was pretty apparent that without removing the window frame carrier, even if you have the door panel off, you have zero access to the latch assembly.

So... I searched the web again and found the above-referenced post. To be honest, I had no idea what he was talking about with the coat hanger. Maybe it's some kind of hanger we don't have here in the states. Anyhow, I got a little 'pick' - part of a little set of 4 I got at a local hardware store. They're less than $10 for the set - 1 straight, one with a hook, one with a 90-degree bend and one with a curved 30-degree bend. Anyhow, I took the 90-degree pick and, with the exterior door handle pulled out, inserted it into the rear end of the handle, pointy end facing upwards. I stuck it in about 3", then rotated it clockwise and ""pop" the door opened right up!

I'll see if I can take a few pics and repeat the procedure. My outside door handle still doesn't work, but at least now I can open the door from the inside again!

Modified by DougFromMaine at 3:04 PM 11-29-2009

Modified by DougFromMaine at 9:00 PM 11-29-2009

Vehicles
      '04 GTI VR6
      11-29-2009 04:16 PM #20
      The duke boys didn't need to use thier doors, niether do you.

PSN: Apnea--

21. 11-29-2009 04:19 PM #21
      haha this exactly same thing happened to me, it didnt open from the outside, just the inside, so i tested the, safety baby lock and closed. My uncle got it open by pulling the handle on the ouside like you were opening, and reaching somthing in there and it opened.

22. 11-29-2009 10:03 PM #22
      Ha ha. Yeah, but if I recall correctly, Bo & Luke didn't have to strap a 2 year old into a car seat either.

23. 11-29-2009 11:28 PM #23
      Hi again.

Here's a link to a video on YouTube showing the actual door-opening procedure. I must have been lucky the first time I did it - I had to fiddle around a bit before I was able to open the door when I tried it again for the camera. Still pretty easy though.

Here's the little pick tool. These are very handy in general. I'm sure anything similar - even a bent-up coat hanger - would work similarly:

Here's a picture of the inside of the rear door with the door card removed, posted here to illustrate that if you cannot remove the window carrier plate, just removing the door card doesn't get you any closer to the lock mechanism:

Modified by DougFromMaine at 10:53 PM 11-29-2009