Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 89 golf gti with no spark to plugs, please help!!!

1. 01-21-2009 09:42 AM #1
      Whats up VWvortex-ers! This is my first time using this site. When i got problems with my car i come here first. My car is an 89 golf gti 16v, (this is long and boring but details are a must) I work nights, got out of work at 7am, tried to start my car and it would not crank, turned the ignition to off position, tried it again, the car turned but took a little for it to start. Drove home everything was fine. Turned it off went to sleep, got up at 4pm to make a run to the store would not start. I have no spark!!!!! What next? I tried a new coil, new ignition module nothing happened? What else could it be? I would really appreciate the help. peace

Vehicles
      06 ZX6r, 03 Mountaineer, 93 civic lx , 92 cabby, 87 Scirocco 16v, 76 Scirocco 8v
      01-21-2009 09:59 AM #2
      i'd pop the distributor cap off and check for oil in the distributor. Most of my problems with 16v are the distributor and grounds. So i'd check there first.

3. 01-21-2009 10:31 AM #3
      yeah, my distributor does leak oil but i never had that problem before. ill try cleaning it.. thanks, if you got more info feel free to let me know

4. 01-22-2009 09:48 PM #4
      well i cleaned the dizzy today but no luck, does anybody have any more ideas?

5. 01-23-2009 12:11 AM #5
      My neighbors 2.0 16v has the same problem, apparently has changed all kinds of things. From what I read on here using the search function when trying to help him it can be lots of things from ignition switch, ignition control module (if you have one),hall sender (located in dizzy get a Bentley it tells how to troubleshoot the sender, it also might be on here use the SEARCH function, knock box, and I would assume the computer. He's replaced the ignition switch,swapped out the coil and the distributor, and probably some other stuff I can't think of off hand.

6. 01-23-2009 01:31 AM #6
      most likely the hall sender. one question do u have spark at the coil?

7. 01-24-2009 12:57 AM #7
      No spark at the coil, i did buy a new coil tried that and also a new ignition module and tried that and nothing, I did notice that a little spark at the time that i would open the ignition switch to crank my car but that's all. I really need to get me a Bentley manual, my car is a 16v. anymore ideas....... im gonna keep trying until i figure it out i hope its not my ecu.

8. 01-24-2009 12:58 AM #8
      It is a 16v 1.8......

Vehicles
      06 ZX6r, 03 Mountaineer, 93 civic lx , 92 cabby, 87 Scirocco 16v, 76 Scirocco 8v
      01-24-2009 05:30 PM #9
      I'm still thinking it's the distributor. just by what you replaced and what is happening. The hall sensor goes bad often on these even faster when there is oil in the distributor. sometimes cleaning the oil out isn't enough to fix it. I'll look at my bentley tonight, to see if their are any checks you can do. I forget off the top of my head.

10. 01-25-2009 04:25 PM #10
      almost the same thing happed to be(a very weak spark) i also tried new coil, distr. and plugs/wires. i found out it was a bad ground wire going from the battery to the coil(which would cause weak spark). try running a new ground wire from the battery to anywhere on the block of intake studs/bolts. good luck

11. 01-26-2009 05:35 PM #11
      thanks guys, I just doesnt make sense that it was Running great in the morning and then it just stopped. I dont have a bentley so ill use your guys advise. ill try that soon, again if anybody has any more ideas keep me posted, ill try to get pics of my car so you guys can see it, i crashed my car about 2 years on the driver side but before that it was a cherry car, i dont want give her up she is my baby. thanks again guys

12. 01-26-2009 11:30 PM #12
      try these two steps

1. remove secondary coil wire and attach it to ground. disconnect hall sender wire harness connector at distributor using a test light check for power between outer terminals of connector with ignition on test light should light up. if it doesnt check your harness for a open wire

2. if light came on. connect hall sender back on.pull boot of connector back to expose terminals. then test center terminal with a test light connected to positive while cranking, light should blink, if it doesnt replace ure hall sender,
      hope this helps

13. 01-27-2009 03:30 PM #13
      i had this with my 16v mk2, i changed everything 4 new parts costin me a small fortune, all timin marks lined up and i was ready 2 commit suiside 9 months later really went to town on it, stripped it down found that the bottom crankshaft pulley had sheared the pin off and under load put the timing out, if i had taken the bung out the top of the gearbox and checked tdc i would of been on the road 9 months ago. you wouldnt think this little pin would ever rip off but apparently is common. when sorted it fired straight up and has covered 32k trouble free since, worth lookin at

14. 01-29-2009 02:49 AM #14
      To dansvanuk, your crank pulley broke or stripped off the crank? well that could be the case on mine, my pulley needs to be replaced. I did notice a piece missing when i did the head on my car 6 months ago. thanks ill take a look at it soon..... Ill keep you guys posted , thanks for the help, LONG LIVE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. 01-29-2009 01:44 PM #15
      crank pulleys stripping wouldn't affect the spark. good luck

16. 02-03-2009 01:59 PM #16
      check ur throttle switches one of mine was stuck causing only one spark when u turn the key wasn't consistent spark

17. 02-04-2009 12:00 AM #17
      also check with another ignition module maybe , and one time i had same problem changed everything nothign worked car sat for 2 years , finaly found a wire got pulled inside to the boot where it conect at the ignition module somehow , i pulled it threw and pluged it back in place and got my spark back

18. 02-05-2009 05:23 PM #18
      Thanks guys for all your help, no luck yet I will try the last two comments posted tho. If any one has any other ideas let me no, peace

19. 02-06-2009 09:29 PM #19
      well i been having almost same problem and just fixed it with a 4 gauge wire from my battery to my intake ( any bolt)

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '91 VW Gti 8v, '90 VW GLi 16v
      10-05-2012 10:50 AM #20
      I am having this problem now. I've tried just about everything here. I get a spark at the primary coil one time, when the ignition is turn to position 2. Ignition module is ok, coil is ok, wires(as far as I can tell are ok). My next move is replacing the distributor, since it is warranted.

Vehicles
      1982 Rabbit
      11-30-2012 03:48 PM #21
      FROM THE DEEAAAD!

me too, except my problem has been ongoing. I have a 16v 2.0 in a rabbit gti and i had no spark for a while, randomly had a spark, then none after a water pump was replaced. my next task is to go through all of these suggestions and check my icm through this amazing link: http://www.race.nangreaves.com/golf/FU03/index.htm

give er a try
      My '82 Rabbit: The Wascal

22. 11-30-2012 07:07 PM #22
      I also went through a similar scenario with ignition issues that would intermittently kill the car while driving and then could restart after a couple minutes of sitting. I followed all the test procedures in the Bentley and discovered a bad knock sensor control unit (2 flashes with LED test). This is on a CIS-E 1.8 16v. Changed with one from junk yard and works fine now. I also changed the ignition control unit as a preventative measure since it was only 25 dollars. These cars a getting old and all the electronics are prone to fail at some point.