Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Removing sticker residue from bonnet

Vehicles
      99 MKIV Golf GTI
      01-24-2009 07:45 PM #1
      Hi All,

How do you remove the sticker residue from paintwork on the bonnet of the car ?

It's been on the car but over summer here it's started to dry quite a bit !

I've tried Goo off, goo gone but didn't do squat.

Don't really want to respray the bonnet - any advice ?

Modified by DIDZ at 10:47 AM 1-25-2009

01-24-2009 10:16 PM #2
      3M adhesive remover or rubbing alcohol.

Also have you tried to heat it at all with a hair dryer?

Vehicles
      99 MKIV Golf GTI
      01-25-2009 03:11 AM #3
      Would having the sun beaming on it at 50 degrees celcius count when trying to peel it off with my nails ?

I've tried the alcohol, and it's given a blue stain on the cloth so I don't know if it's working or I've gone through the clear and into the paint.

Tried with the n and the g as that is where it is "flaking" even though it is rock solid.

Vehicles
      MTA
      01-25-2009 03:20 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Jesstzn »
      3M adhesive remover or rubbing alcohol.

I think that SHOULD do the job. We use it at the dealership, and it works wonders.

Just thinking out loud here: what about kerosene? I know I've used it before to remove bugs/tar at the detail shop I used to work at. Not sure how it'd do.

5. 01-26-2009 12:02 PM #5
      If not adhesive removers are working and heat also didn't work, then it looks like there isn't a easy fix.

You need to have that profesionally looked at.

6. 02-15-2009 10:07 PM #6
      Man, that looks like it's been on there for a while and baked on there. Be aware that when you remove the residue it's going to have a ghost image aka fading of the decal design where it was.

Vehicles
      99 MKIV Golf GTI
      02-20-2009 06:04 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by john@jmdecals.com »
      Man, that looks like it's been on there for a while and baked on there. Be aware that when you remove the residue it's going to have a ghost image aka fading of the decal design where it was.

Yeah it's been like that for a while. I have the ghosting, but its right where the fold on the bonnet that it is really flaking (it's as though it has gone through the clear and the paint itself ?

Looks like I may need to respray

Vehicles
      88 fox RIP 86 jetta RIP 81 rabbit RIP, 1984 GTI RIP, 03 Allroad sold, 86 Jetta sold, 87 f150 & ????
      01-15-2012 06:26 PM #8
      You could alternatively use rubbing compound on the rest of the hood (the sticker protected the clearcoat) and then wax buff the whole thing. Good luck!
      1% defined: Lone wolf, no club. Duct tape it yourself. It is broken down 1% of the time, and work is always 1% completed.
      2% defined: I'm too old to drive broken sh*t and VW people are cool. DBVW!
      Quote Originally Posted by nsindel View Post
      May I introduce Senor SGLoki -
      the man, the myth, the slamdancer...

Vehicles
      96 gti2slo 07glisold 12gti autobahn apr stage2
      04-14-2012 07:31 PM #9
      Try nail polish remover it worked on a hard to remove sticker go me. I do have an older paint job so I didn't care to try it. It doesn't look like it messed my paint up though the paint was darker than the rest of the car under the sticker from it being there so long.

04-17-2012 05:50 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by plumbdaddy View Post
      Try nail polish remover it worked on a hard to remove sticker go me. I do have an older paint job so I didn't care to try it. It doesn't look like it messed my paint up though the paint was darker than the rest of the car under the sticker from it being there so long.
      If its the acetone based one its not very clear coat friendly .. you might not see an impact immediatly but down the road you could have failure in the form of crows feet.

11. 04-18-2012 10:07 AM #11
      You will want to make sure your hood is cool to the touch (in the shade or garage). You can use Goo Gone or 3M adhesive remover. Work in small areas using a MR.Clean magic eraser.

Use very light pressure the magic eraser is aggressive and will do the job. You will want to buff/polish the area and wax it. If you do not have access to a buffer at least wax the area.

P.S. If there is actual vinyl sticker left on the hood use a hair dryer and a plastic razor blade. Please keep in mind when you heat the sticker you are also heating the clear coat making it easier to dig the plastic blade into the clear.
      Last edited by AsWeFlyBy; 04-18-2012 at 10:09 AM.

04-18-2012 10:14 AM #12
      Before you use the Magic Eraser please read this thread

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...aser-on-paint/

If you don't have the proper buffer etc. your going to have a problem removing the marring .