VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Ford Coil Pack on VR6 with Pics.

708K views 812 replies 221 participants last post by  FourSeasonTuning.com 
#1 ·
Hey Im a Newbie and felt I should share some knowledge of swaping a Ford EDIS 6 coil onto the VR6. Like alot of VR6 owners I started having Misfires. Knowing that the VR6 Coil is prone to failure I had no desire to buy a Brand New VW coil, Espicially for $330 at the local parts store. First I tried to cover it with epoxy that fixed some of the misfiring but not all of it. I saw a million GM Coil Pack swaps and the extra bracket and extra wiring to make them work, then I came across one guy who used a Ford EDIS 6 coil. Me being a Ford Guy at Heart It didnt take me long to Decide what I was gonna do. This swap is alot more straight forward and Stock Ford EDIS Coils are cheap and Never Fail. I picked up the Used Ford coil wiring plug and stock Ford plug wires off of a friends of mines Thunder Bird SuperCoupe.
Here are some pics.
Everything

Ford Coil vs. VR6 Coil (note the bad epoxy job on the VW coil, ha)

Almost fits right on there

Ford plug soldered on and shrink wraped

Ford Terminals on Stock VW wires

Finished Coil

Wires and Coil

Finished

Modified by GardenSnake at 12:24 PM 1-28-2009

Modified by GardenSnake at 12:29 PM 1-28-2009

See less See more
#738 ·
OK, tried the epoxy coil pack fix without any change to the problem, thinking about trying this out. I've read through the thread, this is what I get so far, please correct anything I got wrong:

-some versions of the Ford coil pack can be used with the stock wire set.
-best to get the Ford Motorcraft part.
-need the Ford plug to solder onto spade connectors at the side of the coil pack; must get separately if buying just the pack.
-necessary to cut down the spacer because otherwise the wires won't reach the slightly deeper pack(?)
-might be necessary to re-gap spark plugs(?). (Problem, because don't have tools.)

Thanks.

#740 ·
Seems you gottta be creative. I was considering having a run of brackets made if there was enough people interested.

#741 ·
#745 ·
I'm very curious to hear some dyno results by swapping a OEM coil pack for a Fix Or Repair Daily one.
Just curious if the numbers that will show are worth the hassle to do this or if it's just for a better mileage and throttle response.
I want proof in dyno figures not theoretical talk. If you all are out to chastise me do it in a very official way, other to that it's just pure :bs:

#746 ·
As stated before..I dont think cost is so much the factor, as is finding a better coil pack. People are able to achieve a larger and more stable firing gaps, even more so with the high output setups. . Numbers that were unachievable on the OEM coil pack.

Boogie no one is out to chastise you so much as people willing to flag you for your disruptive comments against what this threads intent is. As much as you are calling people out for proof..you have no proof regarding the OEM is any better. Many are documenting their findings, and that is proof enough for many, more than what you have supplied. I dont know what "dyno" proof you want considering it is not done so much for peak power, but more reliable power. If that is not proof enough for you..thats fine too. But this thread is for people swapping the coil pack to ford units. It does not sound like you even belong on this thread..kinda going into a air ride thread and challenging others on their use of air ride. Looks like the mods were nice enough to remove some of your repetitive tail chasing rebuttal already..no one likes a troll . And looks like you have nothing more or different to add to the information base.

#750 ·
Please define reliable power.
So you're saying that VW makes a car with components that cannot live up to the expectations of their customers. WOW!! What a way to go.
So OEM VW Coil Packs aren't any good....period.
Guess I'll have to send a letter to VW AG in Wolfsburg, Germany to let them know that their American and Canadian customers prefer FORD parts in their VW's so do some changes on the assembly lines to please this huge customer base. You guys sound worse that retards that are on medication...seriously!!
I have all rights to ask for proof that this mod is worthwhile doing because this is misleading people to do something that isn't necessary. Is someone getting a cut from Ford or Motorcraft for every person that buys a coil pack and puts in their VW?

#751 · (Edited)
Well they will most likely laugh at you. Go ahead and give them a call anyway and ask them why all VW's have electrical problems.
Just picked up my Ford coil and and a new set of Japanese plugs, hope my VW doesn't have an allergic reaction to non German parts. Oh wait Half the parts in a jetta aren't German.:facepalm:

#758 ·
EIDS coil Conversion

My question on this conversion, when connecting the wires to the Ford coil, should I follow the firing order from VW coil or from the Ford Coil ? I am just not sure which one.
the cylinder numbers on the Ford Coil is different from the VW Coil.

Below is the VR6 Coil

Below is the EIDS coil from Ford.

#761 ·
..people are able to run larger plug gap with forced induction. Seems to make a more reliable spark

#764 ·

I may bring a stock coilpack with me to the dyno in a couple weeks. The car definitely is smoother on tip in but overall benefit other then advertised spark output is probably negligible. The idle smooths out on a gap larger than .028 even with the stock coilpack. My car loved .032, so all of those claims of smoother idle I think are not from the coil pack itself but from the combo of larger gap and coil combination. The turbo blew up 2 days later so I havent found out if MPG claims of increase are true yet..

#765 ·
Now we're talking.
Like I said previously, proof with dyno sheets will be the ultimate guide to let everyone know that I was right all along.
I'm curious to see the results:popcorn:

#767 ·
Mine was done just because, and as stated, if done right, its all plug-n-play and can be reversed in very little time! While the simple ones that have no clue on how things work are to scared to move outside the box... A VW coil is $$$ just because of application, just like every part for every damn euro car out there... Does it make the parts better? Absolutely not, just more "exlusive"... Then the comments of being pointless on N/A is bullsh**... What you meant to say is a stock tuned, fuel injected N/A engine wich the computer will keep everything in check and you dont NEED the extra spark or duration.... But increase compression, change cam profiles, and get into some wild A/F trims and you will see a HUGE benefit from having the extra spark available...

If you dont agree with, or want to do a specific mod, keep youself away from the thread and youll save yourself the frustration of disagreeing with everyone else. Go back to your keep it all OEM and enjoy yourself thinking that the dealer knows best and good luck on your way.... The rest of us will continue to try something new and move on with the rest of the world.... :beer:

#770 ·
I still don't agree and I believe I have the right and freedom to express my opinion, and whether it is pointless or not to others that's also their opinion as well.
The problem isn't coil packs failing....The problem is owning a car that demands expensive parts but not being able to afford to maintain it accordingly and the end result is joey-mods and odd fitments being done to good cars.
I would like to see proof that a Ford Coil Pack can produce a bigger spark than an OEM VW Coil Pack because if it was so then I think MSD would be out of business today.
Waiting on proof and not hot air!!!

#773 ·
I pulled some aftermarket 8mm wires from an F150 at the junk yard the other day in hopes that they would be long enough to fit under the intake manifold. They are not. It appears that longitudinal V6s from that era will all have wires that are too short.

On a related note, I have two used coilpack pigtails from that same junkyard trip if anybody wants em.

#774 · (Edited)
I think my dui failed. Cylinders 2 and 5 are not sparking. Got an older ford coil pack with the oval harness. This places the icm harness and the oval plug on the same side. My wires are white, yellow/red, yellow/white, yellow/black. Plugged it in and still have no spark on 2 and 5. Can you guys verify mywiring is correct from plug to icm?

#776 ·
bumpin this ISH back up!

I'm a simple guy and would rather buy and OEM coil and bolt that right in instead of doing the extra leg work with the Ford coil pack which I think is pretty awesome. I've had my coil on my vr6t since I got my car new in 2001. I think it's about done, it doesn't really drive smooth and I have a hard time getting to turn over after sitting for a couple hours. Did VW update their coil packs? Looking at the pictures they have, my coil does not have that gel look on the tower side. Does that mean these coils are better and will last longer? :beer:

#778 ·
Having problems with this. Car is a 1997 VR6 golf
Wired it up to a Used Motorcraft 5F2E-12029-AB using the later wiring diagram in this thread and placed the plug on the same side as the ICM connector
basically used a straight across wiring from left to right for plug to icm.

Car runs horrible.

Misfire on 3/4/6 cyl and hardly idles. Used a OBD2 reader to reset the codes and nothing changed(actually ran worse after clearing)

Tried a new Ford coil pack and same thing happens

Have not replaced plugs nor wires.

I think I have it wired incorecctly still? I've tried 3 different wiring methods now without any improvements.

Help....

#781 ·
You have it wired correctly. Check for the obvious - eg spade connectors not mating to ICM securely.
I wanted to see the wiring from the coil to the spark plugs also.
Do you have another coil (preferably stock, even the damaged one will help in this simple trouble shooting if you repair that one broken terminal) that you can quickly swap in to verify that the issue is purely coil or ICM related (ie not wire or other electrically induced issue).

#782 · (Edited)
You have it wired correctly. Check for the obvious - eg spade connectors not mating to ICM securely.
I wanted to see the wiring from the coil to the spark plugs also.
Do you have another coil (preferably stock, even the damaged one will help in this simple trouble shooting if you repair that one broken terminal) that you can quickly swap in to verify that the issue is purely coil or ICM related (ie not wire or other electrically induced issue).
I used the exact fire order that the VW pack used, basicall front back on top, rear bank on bottom.
The wire connector is soddered in place under teh shrink wrap to eliminate any connection problems(I hope).
I've got 2 for coils that I've swapped in/out and both operate the same in the car. it is possible that it's the ICM thats bad, or even a Bad set of wires as they look like they've never been changed.
Still have the old VW coil that I kind of fixed up a bit, it was the middle terminal that broke:

I attempted to just push it back in and glued it back in place so not sure how effrctive it will be but will likely be better then currently running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.