Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Coil Pack on VR6 with Pics.

Vehicles
      2001 Gti VR6
      12-26-2011 11:29 PM #526
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1 View Post
      Got one of the later Ford coilpacks today at the junk yard. Hope I can try this sooner than later.
      Keep us posted and take a pic of of the harness to ICM wires before taping it up, to reassure us of the connections.
      You can get a smooth, quiet, floaty car and fall asleep waiting to get from point A to B, or enjoy getting there.
      To be good at racing, you have to change your name to Sebastien.

Vehicles
      '96 GTI VR6
      12-28-2011 12:17 AM #527
      Quote Originally Posted by Ultramagnus0001 View Post
      Keep us posted and take a pic of of the harness to ICM wires before taping it up, to reassure us of the connections.

008 by gleaminx, on Flickr

Vehicles
      '96 B4V VR6, Poverty-spec E46
      12-30-2011 10:52 PM #528
      I'm having trouble understanding wire compatibility.

Many people cite DUI-31738 as the correct DUI part to fit on our cars, but it appears to have ford-style terminals.

DUI-31737 looks like it the correct part if you want to retain stock wires (very visually similar to what was used here).

However, Summit lists compatibility with 2001-2003 Mustangs, not 2003+ like everybody is saying.

I'll try to have a Ford tech and buddy of mine look up the exact part numbers for both revisions of the coil, and if possible I'll try to build a complete list of what models have what coil, so that we people who want a DUI coil can correctly cross-reference parts.

Vehicles
      2001 Gti VR6
      12-31-2011 12:28 PM #529
      Quote Originally Posted by max302 View Post
      I'm having trouble understanding wire compatibility.

Many people cite DUI-31738 as the correct DUI part to fit on our cars, but it appears to have ford-style terminals.

DUI-31737 looks like it the correct part if you want to retain stock wires (very visually similar to what was used here).

However, Summit lists compatibility with 2001-2003 Mustangs, not 2003+ like everybody is saying.

I'll try to have a Ford tech and buddy of mine look up the exact part numbers for both revisions of the coil, and if possible I'll try to build a complete list of what models have what coil, so that we people who want a DUI coil can correctly cross-reference parts.
      Thank you! Awaiting your input.
      You can get a smooth, quiet, floaty car and fall asleep waiting to get from point A to B, or enjoy getting there.
      To be good at racing, you have to change your name to Sebastien.

Vehicles
      81 vr rocco, 99 turbo f150
      01-04-2012 01:14 PM #530
      did this the other day works great and its easy as hell and only cost me 25 bucks
      used a cp from a 03 windstar, got lucky and the one was brand spanking new off the car in the junkyard

now if my car would only start i could enjoy it lol

6. 01-24-2012 12:24 PM #531
      please someone, pm me.

I DID search and didn't see the exact or complete setup on the classifieds.

I am just not going to go and do this, I know me. I also don't trust the ICM in my OEM, and I'm looking for a simple plug and play install.

Please, and Thank You!

(I'll PayPal a reputable seller today)

Vehicles
      86 GTI VR6, 03 GTI VR6
      01-24-2012 06:55 PM #532
      Quote Originally Posted by IT Guy View Post
      I dont have the time to go and actually DO this, but my coil pack and plugs are shot.

SO... WHO CAN SELL ME an already converted, PLUG AND PLAY set up with coil Pack and plug wires?

Sooner the better

Quote Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP View Post
      Mail me an ICM, some plug wires, and $100.

Quote Originally Posted by IT Guy View Post
      please someone, pm me.

I DID search and didn't see the exact or complete setup on the classifieds.

I am just not going to go and do this, I know me. I also don't trust the ICM in my OEM, and I'm looking for a simple plug and play install.

Please, and Thank You!

(I'll PayPal a reputable seller today)
      As I told you before... mail me an ICM, some plug wires, and $100. Alternatively, you can just send me your ICM and $75... and then order the ready made wires: http://www.fourseasontuning.com/prod...-1148-EDIS.32Z

Vehicles
      96 GTI VR6 08 Hyundai Santa Fe SE
      01-24-2012 07:08 PM #533
      Quote Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP View Post
      As I told you before... mail me an ICM, some plug wires, and $100. Alternatively, you can just send me your ICM and $75... and then order the ready made wires: http://www.fourseasontuning.com/prod...-1148-EDIS.32Z
      98 GTI - Mustard Mayhem - 1/4 - 11.679@117.58mph - .8 bar - parted Timeslip
      96 GTI - Turbo Panda - 1/8 - 7.63@97mph - 1.1 bar of turbo fun!
      89 325is - New turbo project
      www.lugtronic.com

Vehicles
      01-24-2012 08:21 PM #534
      So, finally got some news from my buddy at Ford.

From what he looked up, the original Ford coil is no longer available, and his dealership uses Motorcraft part number DG532. This part is listed as compatible with 2001-2004 3.8L Mustangs, and he also cross-referenced it with 1995-2003 V6 Windstars. Some other site lists complete compatibility... it seems like the part is on a LOT of Ford vehicles.

Further research got me what seems to be the correct OEM Ford part numbers, 3 of them.

1) 1f2z-12029-ac
      2) 5f2z-12029-ad
      3) 5f2e-12029-ab

All of these parts have VW-style wire towers from images I could find on the internet. The difference between them seems to be the pigtail connector. 1 and 3 seem to have more rectangular connectors, while 2 has the round style connector that people with the Ford-style wire tower coil packs, see the first page for an example of this.

The fact that part 5f2z-12029-ad would chronologically be the last compatible is very probable considering that parts from 2005+ Mustangs (4.0L V6) share the same connector.

Therefor, according to what I know, what you really want isn't a later-style Mustang coilpack, but in fact a later one. Later coilpacks would be the ones with different style wire towers that required making custom wires. Either way, since both earlier and later style coilpacks have been shown to work, both parts function exactly the same way, and will get the job done on the VR6.

As for DUI aftermarket coils, DUI-31737 is in fact the correct part for the VR6 if you want to run stock wires. It uses the earlier-style more rectangular connector, and compatibility lines up with what is listed for DG532.

DUI-31738 is infact the later-style replacement, with round connector and different style wire towers. Listed compatibility also matches the info that I have gathered about late-style coilpacks.

Don't take anything I wrote here for gold... I haven't verified this in real life since nobody has those coils stock. But in theory, since the numbers and compatibility all line up, it should be all good.

As always, please coroborate my info with any of your findings!
      Last edited by max302; 01-24-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit Pickup Diesel
      02-08-2012 10:34 PM #535
      Quote Originally Posted by Rugrat Anklebiter View Post

008 by gleaminx, on Flickr

THIS DOESN'T HELP...

But, what I'm assuming is with the newer coil (no mod. required on plug wire ends) the pigtail should be wired to the ICM prongs in a parallel way i.e. no crossing of the pigtail wires... and the older type coils (shorter n fatter) need to be wired differently to the ICM ... hope this is correct...

Vehicles
      Mk3 VRT, Mk4 VRT, Mk4 VRT, B5 1.8BT
      02-09-2012 05:36 AM #536
      Do people even read this thread any more? There are ample pics earlier in this thread, people have actually taken the time to document how to perform the mod yet there are always the same repetitive question re: old vs new style and wiring differences. Seriously?
      "OP sounds like a MKIV guy"

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit Pickup Diesel
      02-09-2012 06:26 AM #537
      Seriously... I've read the entire thread, and yes, I've seen the FEW pics of the ICM to the ford plug and there are 2 different ways to do it, apparently, not many are specific... the pics above I believe are from a mk3 vr6 to the 2003. I'm not talking spark plug wires location and how to splice them, which was a terrible question asked over and over.

Don't post unless you can contribute

Vehicles
      02-09-2012 07:04 AM #538
      Quote Originally Posted by granny1986 View Post
      Seriously... I've read the entire thread, and yes, I've seen the FEW pics of the ICM to the ford plug and there are 2 different ways to do it, apparently, not many are specific... the pics above I believe are from a mk3 vr6 to the 2003. I'm not talking spark plug wires location and how to splice them, which was a terrible question asked over and over.

Don't post unless you can contribute
      Lol, what? Ok let me "contribute".

You apparently can't read too well. I am one of the prime people who has contributed to this thread and several others on this conversion that is why dumb azz questions are so irritating. Your question with respect to the pinout from the ICM to the new coil has been covered. Instead of quoting the pic with the harness heat wrapped why did you not quote a more suitable/applicable pic which clearly shows the wiring paralleled from the stock ICM to the coil. Bottom line if YOU or anyone else can't follow these extremely simple instructions in this DIY then you should not even be attempting it - this is an extremely simple procedure. There no two ways of wiring that ICM to the new coil either.

Here some of my pics yet again. Yes an earlier contribution that I made.

Here is someone else's

Oh and another

Oh is this another?

Hmm

Learn to read/search effectively, genius.

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit Pickup Diesel
      02-09-2012 08:14 AM #539
      I didn't say there were 2 ways of wiring to the NEW coil, I said wiring the new coil is different than wiring the older coil... which is on the first few pages of the thread.. and I just wanted clarity on the subject...

the question was already asked a couple times on this page and previous pages but no one clarified... so I was re-asserting that

i.e. people should label their pics better, just sayin.. but I love this thread, and thanks for your contributions.

Vehicles
      98 GTI VR6, 01 Jetta 1.8T
      02-17-2012 02:52 PM #540
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo1 View Post
      Got one of the later Ford coilpacks today at the junk yard. Hope I can try this sooner than later.
      jimbo i did this w/ the older one. got the wires from fourseasons, runs great.
      LEASE THIS SPACE

Vehicles
      96 GTI VR6 08 Hyundai Santa Fe SE
      02-17-2012 04:46 PM #541
      LOL @ V-dubbulyuh
      98 GTI - Mustard Mayhem - 1/4 - 11.679@117.58mph - .8 bar - parted Timeslip
      96 GTI - Turbo Panda - 1/8 - 7.63@97mph - 1.1 bar of turbo fun!
      89 325is - New turbo project
      www.lugtronic.com

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VRT
      02-18-2012 01:12 AM #542
      Anybody know anything about 034 Motorsports high output coilpack? Can it be used with the stock ICM and pigtail?

http://www.034motorsport.com/ignitio...ack-p-278.html

Vehicles
      86 GTI VR6, 03 GTI VR6
      02-18-2012 05:05 AM #543
      Quote Originally Posted by R32Smoker View Post
      Anybody know anything about 034 Motorsports high output coilpack? Can it be used with the stock ICM and pigtail?

http://www.034motorsport.com/ignitio...ack-p-278.html
      It says current to over 20k volts. I was under the impression the Ford Coilpack was like 50k volts... but maybe I'm thinking of the MSD's.

Vehicles
      02-20-2012 10:13 AM #544
      Like stated a few months back. Pre 2003 are wired differnt , than 2003+. Dont get confused!!
      Of you have the coul that the ends are mooded, you cannot wire it the same way as the coil with OEM wire ends fit. I did the pre set up cuz the wiresends have the locks on them. Best mod you can do. I was the on who listed the DUI. ONly differnce in DUI's for this set up , is if you want the plug vertical, or Horizontal. As for the spark. DUi's are 45k per burst.

Coil DUI demon speed
      gap .034
      NGK 6 heat range
      OEm wires modded

Brand
      Davis Unified Ignition
      Manufacturer's Part Number
      Part Type
      Ignition Coils
      Product Line
      Davis Unified Ignition Screamin' Demon Coils
      Summit Racing Part Number
      DUI-31738
      Coil Wire Attachment
      Female/Socket
      Coil Style
      Coil pack
      Coil Internal Construction
      Epoxy
      Coil Color
      Black
      Maximum Voltage
      45,000 V
      Mounting Bracket Included
      No
      Coil Wire Included
      No
      Ballast Resistor Included
      No
      Coil Shape
      Square
      Height (in)
      3.310 in.
      Length (in)
      5.920 in.
      Width (in)
      3.670 in.
      Quantity
      Sold individually.
      Notes
      Mounts in original factory bracket.

The little devil in you will enjoy tormenting the competition with extreme Screamin' Demon coils from Performance Distributors. These coils allow you to widen your plug gaps up to a whopping .065 in. You get an intense spark through the entire rpm range to keep you "screaming" down the road without a loss of power. And your spark plugs stay cleaner longer! The brass terminals of these coils are more conductive than stock aluminum and resist corrosion longer, too. Demon coils are hot stuff and you'll need a better-than-stock set of wires to deliver that hotter spark to your plugs. So, turn up the heat on performance with Screamin' Demon coils from Performance Distributors.
      Last edited by Justacar; 02-20-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Vehicles
      1986 Golf MK2 CL
      02-23-2012 06:45 PM #545
      Just want to say thanks to everybody that had some input in this thread!
      I did this tonight and she fired right up first shot!

Still idling REALLY low, but I assume there are other things involved with that.

Interestingly enough I got the coil pack off of an older Explorer at the local yard. Cost me a heavy $10

I will say that the absolute worse part of it was swapping the wire ends. The PO had put some ghey 9.6mm APC wires on it and they didn't like to feed into the Ford wire ends.

Took me about 4 hours total doing the conversion. All in all time well spent.

I think if I do it again with new wires I'll probably route and shorten them like I like, these buggers are all over the place right now. Oh, and I need a better mount setup for the odd end that doesn't reach the stock coil mount. I'm limited on tools and what not right now so I just made some tabs out of left over steel.

Thanks again!

Oh, and one thing I'll throw out there for people doing this for the first time in the future is to make sure the little plastic caps that hold the Ford wires down are already on the wires before you crimp the metal connector.... they do NOT fit over everything once it's all put together...

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit Pickup Diesel
      02-26-2012 06:02 PM #546

Plus i put in new plugs and increased gap to .004. Runs so much better

Vehicles
      02-26-2012 07:58 PM #547
      Quote Originally Posted by granny1986 View Post

Plus i put in new plugs and increased gap to .004. Runs so much better
      lol.004 what were you @ .002. Thats almost paper thin

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit Pickup Diesel
      02-27-2012 07:57 PM #548
      .029 before.... now it's running well at .04 but I'm considering upping that to .05

Vehicles
      02-27-2012 08:03 PM #549
      I run my gap @ .035 . Works great

25. 03-18-2012 11:03 AM #550
      This thread has been awesome for opening up new options for vr coilpacks. Thank you all. using the information posted, I put together a setup that
      -uses stock wires
      -uses stock wire routing
      -still supports the water-pipe/air-tube bracket

I did two things differently than most of the posts that I'm seeing
      -I cut the stock coilpack spacer down to 9/16" height
      -I flipped the coil (which moves the plug to the bottom of the coilpack -wiring is slightly different -not reversed, but different)

cheers

Last edited by cyril279; 03-28-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Vehicles
      '96 Passat GLX, '97 Jetta GLS (RIP) '09 Jetta TDI, '07 GTI
      03-25-2012 10:21 PM #551
      Just did this mod. Why would you NOT do this?? Used the new style coil....So simple, it's ridiculous and car runs better than ever. Great stuff. Now for more mods......

27. 03-27-2012 09:44 AM #552
      This thread totally rocks.

I've been sick of my car misfiring and am doing this modification.

Found some parts and can't wait to put it together. I have a spare stock coil pack to work on.

I'm usually all in favor of Junkyarding, but spare time is low and wanted more performance.

Link to summit racing "Screaming Eagle" coil pack for 2003 3.8L ford mustang: DUI 31737
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DUI-31737/?rtype=10

deleted link to pigtail
      I'll report back.
      Last edited by bikesandcars1; 03-27-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: wrong parts given

Vehicles
      03-27-2012 10:28 AM #553
      Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars1 View Post

Link to summit racing "Screaming Eagle" coil pack for 2003 3.8L ford mustang: DUI 31737
      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DUI-31737/?rtype=10

Link to pigtail for coil, carried by DIY autotune (I need to check fitment but it looks right on)
      DIY PC-2899F
      http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/w...ils-p-362.html

I'll report back.
      That connector is incorrect (assuming you are going with the coil you posted). You need the rectangular connector.
      Last edited by V-dubbulyuh; 03-27-2012 at 10:32 AM.

29. 03-27-2012 12:48 PM #554
      I got the wrong connector? DOH!!!!

It took me an hour just to find that one that was close.

Did more research: found a couple valuable things:

Found the "Ford Techs" site with a printed guide to all of their connectors.

http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...torcatalog.pdf

Using visuals from the pictures in this thread along with a comparison search, I identified the following ford part number:

Motorcraft WPT508 appears to be the connector for the "non plug wire mod" coil #31737

Motorcraft WPT207 appears to be the connector for the more round "plug wire mod required coil"

Link to purchasing pigtail: http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/par...coil-connector

I will report back.
      Last edited by bikesandcars1; 03-27-2012 at 01:14 PM.

30. 03-28-2012 07:19 AM #555
      ...Motorcraft WPT508 appears to be the connector for the "non plug wire mod" coil #31737...
      yes, and you can still find them as WPT-508, but this number has been succeeded by WPT-1009, and can be found all over the web for around $22

awesome link to the pigtail kit ID guide

(PAINT IT RED! credit to V-dubbulyuh)

This truly is the easiest coilpack mod you could do for these engines.
      Stock wires, Stock ends, aftermarket spark strength, clean & low-profile install.

massive thanks to all those who tried this stuff out before it was proven effective.
      Last edited by cyril279; 03-28-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: pic & link added

31. 03-28-2012 08:34 AM #556

Vehicles
      03-28-2012 10:09 AM #557
      I got the wrong connector? DOH!!!!

Link to purchasing pigtail: http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/par...coil-connector

That is the correct connector style for your application.

33. 03-29-2012 10:37 PM #558
      Quote Originally Posted by V-dubbulyuh View Post
      That is the correct connector style for your application.

yes, and you can still find them as WPT-508, but this number has been succeeded by WPT-1009, and can be found all over the web for around $22
      Confirmed by successfull installation

Davis Unified Ignition 31737 + WPT 508/1009 = success

I installed denso iridium plugs and gapped at .050 (!!!)

car idles smoother and pulls harder than it has in years. Pulls right to 6K rpm.

did the swap in wet/rain, which is when my car was acting up badly. started rough with old coil pack. after the swap (about 1 hour) it started right up, no more arcing or shorting.

I did the simplest installation. used the old base (not cut down).

fabricated a 16 gauge sheet metal piece to bolt the center post on the 31737 and used a small bolt to attach the plate to the coil. You could also drill the base and use a through bolt from the bottom (coil is raised off the cylinder head enough to clear).

Spacer was used to support coolant line (old exhaust flange nut). although the height of the bolt head is about 1/4 to 1/2" less than stock there were no interferances.

there's enough pics so I won't post.
      Last edited by bikesandcars1; 03-31-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VRT
      04-12-2012 06:06 PM #559

Using visuals from the pictures in this thread along with a comparison search, I identified the following ford part number:

Motorcraft WPT508 appears to be the connector for the "non plug wire mod" coil #31737

Motorcraft WPT207 appears to be the connector for the more round "plug wire mod required coil"

Thank you for adding this link! I've been looking everywhere for the connector, even tried the ford dealership and they said they couldn't get me the part

I ordered the screamin Demon coilpack and the connector 2 days ago and they both arrived today! I will be installing tonight

It says they recommend gapping at .065, but I also am running Iridium plugs which they say not to gap; can I leave them at stock gap (about .028 I believe) or should I open them up a bit? The iridium tip looks quite fragile.

Vehicles
      04-15-2012 12:20 PM #560
      DUI-31737 is on sale at Summit! 10$ Off! 45kV spark for the price of a new OEM Ford coilpack!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DUI-31737/

Mine is ordered, I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast