Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Coil Pack on VR6 with Pics.

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Convertible VR6, 81 Rabbit Hatch, 81 Rabbit Diesel Caddy, 00 Jetta VR6, 01 Jetta 2.0
      04-04-2011 11:00 PM #351
      Quote Originally Posted by Titan VR6 View Post
      what type or gauge female connector should i use to connect the ford pigtail to the ICM. I am having misfires on 1and 6 because the connector i have on there is to loose.
      using a female connector that barely fits over it. if you think its a little loose clamp down on the female part and it will give you a tight connection just don't close it all they way otherwise it won't fit on at all.
      VRSociety #301

2. 04-05-2011 10:03 AM #352
      Listen, to ALL

YOU STILL NEED TO USE HALF OF THE OEM VW COIL PACK! THE ICM IS IN IT! THIS IS WHAT CONTROLS THE SPARK TO THE PACK. USING THE FORD COIL PACK ALONE WILL NOT WORK!

TIPS!
      1. WIRE YOUR SPARKPLUG WIRES, THE SAME AS YOU DID BEFORE WITH THE VW COIL PACK! IN OTHER WORDS, TIMING/FIRE ORDER, IS THE SAME, BACK AND FOURTH!

2. FOLLOW THE FIRST PAGE TO THE T! FOR THE FORD COIL PACK WIRE DIAG.

3. BEEN USING MY ACCEL COIL PACK FOR 8-9 MONTHS NOW, AND 9K MILES, WORKS GREAT! BUT, I AM SELLING THE CAR, AND THE DEALERSHIP WANTS THE OEM PARTS BACK ON THE CAR. SO..........

i HAVE A FULL, WORKING SETUP FOR SALE! 9 K MILES ON FORD ACCEL COIL PACK (THE YELLOW ONE) CUSTOM MADE PLUG WIRES, AND ALL WIRED UP FOR THE SWAP.

oops caps lock. sorry

00vrsix@gmail.com

413-204-1098

WOW, the whole first part of my post is all about helping, then I toss in at the end that "hey, we are all here for the same thing, and I got no use for mine any more, take it" Sorry I have offended some, lets be clear.

Please go here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...dy-for-install

If anyone wants my set up, I'm selling my car. Please don't let others rudeness scare you.
      Last edited by Markhall; 04-09-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Vehicles
      98 GTI and a 2012 Mazda 2 RIP vovlo 240
      04-05-2011 09:58 PM #353
      Quote Originally Posted by RedWabbitVR View Post
      using a female connector that barely fits over it. if you think its a little loose clamp down on the female part and it will give you a tight connection just don't close it all they way otherwise it won't fit on at all.
      lol, that just sounds dirty...

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit Convertible VR6, 81 Rabbit Hatch, 81 Rabbit Diesel Caddy, 00 Jetta VR6, 01 Jetta 2.0
      04-05-2011 10:33 PM #354
      Quote Originally Posted by Markhall View Post
      Listen, to ALL

YOU STILL NEED TO USE HALF OF THE OEM VW COIL PACK! THE ICM IS IN IT! THIS IS WHAT CONTROLS THE SPARK TO THE PACK. USING THE FORD COIL PACK ALONE WILL NOT WORK!

TIPS!
      1. WIRE YOUR SPARKPLUG WIRES, THE SAME AS YOU DID BEFORE WITH THE VW COIL PACK! IN OTHER WORDS, TIMING/FIRE ORDER, IS THE SAME, BACK AND FOURTH!

2. FOLLOW THE FIRST PAGE TO THE T! FOR THE FORD COIL PACK WIRE DIAG.

3. BEEN USING MY ACCEL COIL PACK FOR 8-9 MONTHS NOW, AND 9K MILES, WORKS GREAT! BUT, I AM SELLING THE CAR, AND THE DEALERSHIP WANTS THE OEM PARTS BACK ON THE CAR. SO..........

i HAVE A FULL, WORKING SETUP FOR SALE! 9 K MILES ON FORD ACCEL COIL PACK (THE YELLOW ONE) CUSTOM MADE PLUG WIRES, AND ALL WIRED UP FOR THE SWAP.

oops caps lock. sorry

Anyways, I'm here to move MY coil pack set up I have. Are you sick of trying, or wasting time? want to have a plug and play set up?
      FULL WORKING KIT, LOW MILES, READY TO INSTALL! (i SPENT 120 ON COIL, 100 ON WIRES, AND 50.00 IN EXTRA PARTS, i JUST WANT TO RE-COOP A LITTLE,, AND HELP SOMEONE OUT!
      WIRING IS LEGIT! NO CRAPY DIFFERENT COLOR TAPES, NO GOOFY ****! rE-USED THE FACTORY iCM AS THE MOUNT. WORK,AND MOUNT GREAT. TEXT FOR PICTURES.
      Make me an offer, and you can pick it up today, or I can ship. PM or Email

00vrsix@gmail.com

413-204-1098
      this is not the classifieds section sell your **** somewhere else. spent 64 bucks on mine and that was to buy the brand new ford coil pack. and I use the stock wires.
      VRSociety #301

04-07-2011 07:04 PM #355

Vehicles
      04 GTI 1.8T s2 revo,,,,98 Jetta GLX Japan spec VR6 04 BMW X3 229 sig saucer
      04-07-2011 09:03 PM #356
      Hers my MK 3 im build running ford conversion 98 Mustang DUI coilpack. Just regapped to .045 @ 45000 volts per spark.http://s497.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=100_1821.mp4

Vehicles
      04-07-2011 09:12 PM #357
      took off the #5 plug wire with the engine running to check for a misfire. damn thing jumped a gap of about 1 inch to the plug wire. these are some strong coils.
      VRSociety #301

Vehicles
      04-07-2011 10:21 PM #358
      yes they are. MSD is soo out , this is what ford intended all these years later =D

Vehicles
      Mk3 VRT, Mk4 VRT, Mk4 VRT, A3 VR, B5 1.8BT
      04-08-2011 07:58 AM #359
      Newer style coilpack showed up in the mail... now some time to install it.
      "OP sounds like a MKIV guy"

10. 04-09-2011 10:02 AM #360
      Hey red wabbit, Really? Are you sure its not?

The fact that this topic has so many pages of info, I thought I'd be nice since 1. On a few other post, all when It started, I was helpping people out 2. A lot of people are having problems.

So, I thought I'd be nice, seeing I have to remove my new set up, for selling the car.

I'm glad you found a cheep coil! This is for someone that does not want to be cheep, and use just a stock coil. Also, someone who wants to just bolt and drive.

Seeing this is such a limited topic in the forums, all I was trying to do is help. The fact you come back acting like a sarcastic prick, just inspires me to try and help more.

This is a link to the post, in the proper location, if anyone is in need, please feel free to offer a price. Really not looking for much, just want to help someone out. Fact that i'm getting grilled, on this topic, for trying, is funny! Get a grip bud. please. (i'm sure you'll write back all sorts of nasty now, very sorry for that)

A link

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...dy-for-install

For all others, please remember a few simple things.

1. The OEM VW coil pack your removing does need to have a good working spark ECU! this part is required to be re-used for the ford coil packs.
      2. The fire order stays the same! from VW to ford! The Spark ECU will in-deed tell the coil how to fire.
      3. If you use your stock plug wires, you will have a few problems. 1a. Your engine cover will no longer fit, due to length! 2a. You might get some spark noise through the radio.
      4. On the 12v VR6 the mount for some of the harness under the coil, maybe close enough for spark to jump, when wet. Use dielectric, and make sure the bracket under the coil mount, is moved down a little for proper room.

These parts can be sourced from a junk yard, or good parts shop. like the ford ends you'll need. Junk yard, look for a ford with newer wires, take, clip, and bend the tabs. these will work fine for your custom wires (unless you buy another set for 100.00, premade)

The Ford coil pack wires, are best soursed off of Rangers with 6 cyln. and Explorers with 6, cyln. Cut the coil harness as long as you can get it! Helps with install.

Again, I mean ZERO disrespect by placing my coil up for grabs, it is to simply offer a solution to any member, that 1. does not want to spend all the cash to buy new parts, 2. Wants a great coil pack, with a good name. and last but not least 3. Want a SIMPLE plug and play set up.

Vehicles
      04-09-2011 01:11 PM #361
      Quote Originally Posted by Markhall View Post
      Hey red wabbit, Really? Are you sure its not?

The fact that this topic has so many pages of info, I thought I'd be nice since 1. On a few other post, all when It started, I was helpping people out 2. A lot of people are having problems.

So, I thought I'd be nice, seeing I have to remove my new set up, for selling the car.

I'm glad you found a cheep coil! This is for someone that does not want to be cheep, and use just a stock coil. Also, someone who wants to just bolt and drive.

Seeing this is such a limited topic in the forums, all I was trying to do is help. The fact you come back acting like a sarcastic prick, just inspires me to try and help more.

This is a link to the post, in the proper location, if anyone is in need, please feel free to offer a price. Really not looking for much, just want to help someone out. Fact that i'm getting grilled, on this topic, for trying, is funny! Get a grip bud. please. (i'm sure you'll write back all sorts of nasty now, very sorry for that)

A link

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...dy-for-install

For all others, please remember a few simple things.

1. The OEM VW coil pack your removing does need to have a good working spark ECU! this part is required to be re-used for the ford coil packs.
      2. The fire order stays the same! from VW to ford! The Spark ECU will in-deed tell the coil how to fire.
      3. If you use your stock plug wires, you will have a few problems. 1a. Your engine cover will no longer fit, due to length! 2a. You might get some spark noise through the radio.
      4. On the 12v VR6 the mount for some of the harness under the coil, maybe close enough for spark to jump, when wet. Use dielectric, and make sure the bracket under the coil mount, is moved down a little for proper room.

These parts can be sourced from a junk yard, or good parts shop. like the ford ends you'll need. Junk yard, look for a ford with newer wires, take, clip, and bend the tabs. these will work fine for your custom wires (unless you buy another set for 100.00, premade)

The Ford coil pack wires, are best soursed off of Rangers with 6 cyln. and Explorers with 6, cyln. Cut the coil harness as long as you can get it! Helps with install.

Again, I mean ZERO disrespect by placing my coil up for grabs, it is to simply offer a solution to any member, that 1. does not want to spend all the cash to buy new parts, 2. Wants a great coil pack, with a good name. and last but not least 3. Want a SIMPLE plug and play set up.
      yup I'm sure, when people start putting up for sale ads in threads, the threads get locked. this is a great thread and shouldn't be locked.

I wasn't being cheap I bought a brand new coil pack. I actually was able to bolt it on and drive, being I was able to use my stock plug wires. no fancy cutting and splicing like you did.

its not called a spark ecu, its called an ICM, ignition control module. don't want anybody confused.

I'm a sarcastic ass there is a difference.
      VRSociety #301

Vehicles
      BMW e34 525i
      04-10-2011 08:39 PM #362
      so a 2003 ford v6 3.8l coil pack will fit right onto a vr? im slowly having misfiring issues and i dont wanna waste all my money one some crappy volkswagen part that will probably go bad again before i get rid of my car.

Vehicles
      04-10-2011 09:28 PM #363
      man i am having some serious missifre issues. I think i did a real ****ty job on my #6 wire.
      Also, the car runs fine at start up, but once the FCM kicks in, i start getting miss fires.
      Anybody ever experience this? the ford connector(the metal prong thing) broke in half and i was unable to crimp the wire on there well, so since i have BFI stage 1 mounts and a crappy crimp on the wire , the vibration from the motor seems to be causing my miss fire. I just cant seem to pin point it.

Vehicles
      04-10-2011 09:44 PM #364
      I run the derlin mounts and dont have a misfire problem from it. As for the wire crimping, as I took the ford connecters apart , I the lower half from the upper half ( prong part ) cut back the vw wire a good 1inch , bent it over and slid the wire into the connecter, and dimpled it. Slid the boot over it and BAM ford power goodness Always goot to grab like 12 connecters this way u have more if u fk up. Sounds like a minor problem. Just retrace your steps and make sure the coil u have goes with the correct wiring.........meaning pre 2000 is differnt from 2000+ . Lots on this thread got them confused when wiring. GL

Vehicles
      04-10-2011 10:22 PM #365
      Quote Originally Posted by D-rock11 View Post
      so a 2003 ford v6 3.8l coil pack will fit right onto a vr? im slowly having misfiring issues and i dont wanna waste all my money one some crappy volkswagen part that will probably go bad again before i get rid of my car.
      some but alot less than the older ones. I took a the back off one of my old coilpacks cut it off to hold the side with just one hole. the other side fits just fine. run the wires from the icm to the coil pack and then plug in your stock wires to the coil pack and then start it up. its really that simple.
      VRSociety #301

Vehicles
      BMW e34 525i
      04-13-2011 09:16 PM #366
      yeah the main think im looking for is a ford coil pack that my stock wire will connect too. i can manage all the other modding

17. 04-16-2011 10:21 AM #367
      ICM, Spark ECU, all the same thing. Really.

No, your right, I'm not trying to get it locked. I don't think anyone is. Again, My reason, fits. I'm sorry you don't like it.

UM, NO! I did not do any cutting, or splicing Mr. No It All. SIMPLY CHANGED THE VW ENDS, TO FORD! (and um, again, depending on coil pack, YOU NEED TO!)

I Simply USED ford ends, on the coil side! where they need to be! Unless you use the cheeper coil packs, then you don't have to cut your ends, due to them being the same.

As well, mouning the coil pack to the ICM, Or Spark ECU, how ever you would like to call it. Will stretch out the mouning room a little bit. UNLESS YOU CUT IT DOWN!. It still needs to be there!

Listen, I'm not claiming to know what you did! I'll be posting up pictures in a few so people can see.

I have been, in each post adding info, and trying to help as well. WHY? Well, my 17+ years working on VW's allows me to. Owning 45+ vw's, I feel I do have a bit of inside info. Sorry,

As well, Not everyone maybe using the same coil pack as you are. Snap a pic, thow it up. Maybe our bicker, will help others!

Again, no one is trying to get the post closed. I'm sorry for adding my innfo about my coil. Just trying to help. Condeming the people who help, not always the best move.

Anyways, I'll post up some pics, I'm taking mine off today.

Just FYI for people before they do this

Vehicles
      04-16-2011 11:42 AM #368
      it is the same thing, but not alot of people call it that anymore, only the old gear heads I find. people just call it the icm now.

you were either very careful and uncrimped the vw ends or just cut them off to put on the ford ends either way you modified the stock wire, which I didn't have to do. yeah depending on the coilpack you decide to use you will but why go through the hassle of all that when there is a easier solution.

I am doing an oil change this afternoon I'll post up pics afterwards if you would like.

since I needed the car right away I didn't source out a solution to the height issue. both coil packs are longer than the stock coil pack so it won't work with stock wires with your engine plastics on. but when you buy some stock wires from autozone, advance auto, or orielly's they come a little longer so they will fit with plastics. at 64 bucks I'll probably get another coil pack and do a little magic in the machine shop and make a new base that is shorter, with proper holes for the coilpack. right now I'm just running with no engine plastics.

I did come off a little harsh in the first post sorry for that. I understand why you did it and while I may understand why you did it that doesn't matter to a mod. maybe some other people come in and see you do it and then start posting their stuff for sale as well, then we lose the thread.
      Last edited by RedWabbitVR; 04-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.
      VRSociety #301

Vehicles
      04-18-2011 10:52 PM #369
      OMG i am gonna bash my brains in. my #6 spark plug wire is bad after doing the ford end. nobody(junk yards) around my area has any ford spark plug wires. I dont want to spend $45 on a brand new set of ford wires just to chop one of them up.
      I REALLLLLLY DONT want to spend $110 on custom wires from a certain website. It just seems like they charge a bit much for that stuff.
      I would pay $90 for them even $100, but 110 is just a bit much considering that they are just different ends on VW wires.
      I might be wrong. I dont know the manufacturing process to get ford end on vw wires.
      I have repaired the #6 wire so much that as of right now f i have to "fix" it again it is gonna be way to short.
      anybody on here wanna sell me a good set of wires that work!?
      hit me up. Private message me.

P.S when it runs it runs really eff'n awesome. but right now i feel like driving it into a wall so i can collect on insurance claim. But of course that would be totally irrational since it is only something minor that i screwed up to begin with.

Well, i caved in and bought the custom wires from fourseasonstuning. I hate not driving my car....
      So, i said **** it and bit the bullet.
      Last edited by Titan VR6; 04-19-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: bought the DAMN EXPENSIVE WIRES.

Vehicles
      1995 mulberry GTi VR6 RIP, 1988 BMW E30 SETA, 2004 A4 B6
      04-21-2011 03:18 PM #370
      you should have tried a 2003+ ford coilpack ... not the 2002 and under.. the stock wires will fit
      "Public transportation......because you're poor"
      done everything that's cheap....broke the most expensive parts....

having cooling problems? check this out http://the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68720

21. 04-25-2011 04:36 PM #371
      bought to call the dealership and order the 2003+ coil pack and the pig tail cant wait to do it this weekend...

Vehicles
      04-25-2011 08:09 PM #372
      lol, Ive gotten good @ making these wires. From start to finish , takes only 14 minutes. I have tons of the ends, just pm me, and ill send u 1 or 2, just pay the shipping

Vehicles
      04-25-2011 09:04 PM #374
      OMG, someone please shoot me now.
      installed the new wires and i installed a brand new coil pack.
      it is now misfiring all the time......
      took the cover off of the ICM, everything looks good.
      what the hell can be causing this miss firing issue.....
      also, i unhooked the battery for about 20 min.
      still miss firing.

OK update:
      I cleaned the terminals on the ICM. hooked it back up and it ran like a champ for 5 mins/untill the car warms up. once the car is warmed up it miss fires. This leads me to believe that the ICM is infact BAD and HEAT from the motor is causing the issue. So I will be needing a new/used ICM.
      anybody got one??
      Last edited by Titan VR6; 04-27-2011 at 09:25 PM.

24. 04-28-2011 09:22 PM #375
      I think I am needing a new icm also. The mod works fine the other day and now getting misfire in 6. So thinking it's the icm but how can I check or tell for sure?

Thanks

Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast