Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Jetta MKIV VR6 Auto transmission shifter surround bezel removal (lighting problem)

1. 02-01-2009 03:24 AM #1
      What: a 2000 JETTA MKIV GLS VR6 auto transmission.
      Part: shifter surround bezel (chrome with indicator lights to left of shifter)
      Why: lighting is intermittent appears to be black wire (1 of 4) loose

The shifter surround on my gf's Jetta has had intermittent (mostly off) lighting for a few years. In prep for a sale (stay tuned, North Carolina members, we plan to post here ... it's very clean and in excellent mechanical condition .. PM for details), I'm trying to repair this lighting.

Following this superb post by VgRt6 (many thanks, sir), I've removed the rear ashtray, armrest, rear center console, and ashtray. Unfortunately, I can't seem to remove the forward center console due to the metal bracket here...

... blocks sliding the console back, and the nuts ...

... are covered by the shifter surround bezel itself. Everything has been easy up to this point.

It appears that the shifter bezel has two tabs on each side (based on a pic found on the Interweb) can be snapped up at the rear, and ... slid forward and up? I can't tell from looking under the bezel (with an inspection mirror where the ashtray was) how it's fastened in there. And there are curved plastic "guides" or something at the front and rear (the rear one appears empty), can't tell if they're actually attached to the bezel or the shifter mechanism itself.

I seem to recall from another thread (can't find it this late at night) that a wiring harness connected to the underside of the bezel can be disconnected. I thought that this harness connection could be what's loose -- tapping or pressing down on the bezel restores partial or full lighting for a short time.

Careful inspection with a mirror indicates that four wires are leading up directly to a small circuit board. Doinking around with the four wires leading up to the bezel, though, it appears that the black wire closest to the vehicle midline (power?) is loose. No problem to fix for an old avionics technician, all I need is a little room to resolder it. I can't solder upside down in small spaces anymore, though.

So I'm stuck -- I can't get the bezel out. Any assistance or experience with this "throttle quadrant" disassembly would be appreciated. Gf fell in love with the red and blue "neon" lighting of the Jetta and I'd like to get it all restored in time for Valentine's Day.

Modified by davidspalding at 1:00 AM 2-1-2009

Modified by davidspalding at 1:18 AM 2-1-2009

Vehicles
      2000/VW/MK4 Jetta
      02-01-2009 04:59 AM #2
      I have to say that is an excellent first post (well thought out and written). The black wire that you said is loose might be a ground which would cause the same electrical issues. Regardless, the bezel has to come out. I just looked through my Bentley and it doesn't go over the removal of the automatic bezel unfortunately.

Vehicles
      2000/VW/MK4 Jetta
      02-01-2009 05:01 AM #3
      Auto shiftgate removal
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1141385

How to - Removing shift console - prelude to shift boot modification for my auto
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1150349

Modified by bluebora20v at 2:03 AM 2-1-2009

4. 02-01-2009 11:53 AM #4
      Thanks, for the compliment, been lurking in this forum for a while to solve some of the Jetta's issues. Joined as I have a couple of pics to add to the DIYs for more detail.

Thanks for looking in your Bentley! I've just about resorted to buying a Helms(?) online subscription to see if there's more detail.... I appreciate you eliminating the Bentley svc mnl for me.

Jenkins' DIY seems to be exactly what I need but ... AAAAGH!! Broken image links are the bane of DIY threads. (If you can't host images over the long term for a DIY, don't use them. Dammit.) Without his images I can't be certain what he's referring to. Any possibility someone saved the thread/images locally?

Modified by davidspalding at 1:15 PM 2-1-2009

Vehicles
      2000/VW/MK4 Jetta
      02-01-2009 04:11 PM #5
      Jenkins has long since moved on. I'm surprised any of his pictures are working. It sounds like he just lifts up around the shifter and unclips something from underneath.

6. 02-01-2009 06:55 PM #6
      Jenkins' post was correct, the chrome bezel (shift gate) is removed by gently pushing it to one side, while putting pressure on the side that's being moved to centerline. This releases two tabs from the lens cover cowl shown below ... it has upward facing retention slots that the tabs slip into. After releasing one side, you pivot the shiftgate up, and lift out the other side's tabs.

There are the tabs ... this piece (on the MKIV Jetta that I'm preparing for sale) is metal, so you can't brake it easy ... but I wouldn't roughhouse on it, as the plastic piece it snaps into is made of weaker, plastic stuff.

Quote, originally posted by bluebora20v »
      Jenkins has long since moved on. I'm surprised any of his pictures are working. It sounds like he just lifts up around the shifter and unclips something from underneath.

Thanks, you were exactly right. The indicator lenses are in a simple plastic piece (sorry I couldn't take a pic ... daylight was running out), that clipped over the shifter two spots on each side. Simple notched tabs, light enough to release the front two with your fingers (removing the ashtray/power socket is a major plus here). Working a small standard screwdriver in under some of them released them, then the plastic piece lifted straight up, exposing the circuit board (four wires on the front leading to it, and a small ribbon cable on the rear, and the shifter's rubber cowl.

(one of Jenkins' pics, annotated) :

Removing the front two Torx-20 screws from the forward center console (and the ashtray) allowed the console to flex and shift around so that I could remove the pieces (shifter chrome surround, plastic indicator lense+cover) with the tab slots on the side while flexing the shifter boot around them.

(This was a great opportunity to slip off the rubber cowl/strip and clean it.)

All this confirmed that one, actually most, of the front four wires had broken cold solder joints on the upper face of the circuit board. I added in solder ("bigger the glob, the better the job") on each, and now the lights stay on consistently.

I'll post some additional pics to the relevant threads that I took once I had everything off. I'm exhausted ... a weekend of dismantling a VW , and fighting Trojans/viruii/worms on the gf's laptop . Now comes -time.

BTW, someone's thread about removing the auto stick handle was right, it is easier if you put rubber bands on the handle to hold the button out. I found two bands were sufficient, wrapped around the button, doubled over, and wrapped around the handle, one each way.

Modified by davidspalding at 9:05 PM 2-1-2009

Modified by davidspalding at 9:15 PM 2-1-2009

Vehicles
      2000/VW/MK4 Jetta
      02-01-2009 07:01 PM #7
      Good job and with 13 days to spare.