Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: reverse grinds and pops out 97 golf

1. 02-10-2009 08:32 AM #1
      I picked up a replacement 020 tranny at pick and pull and popped it in. Gears 1-5 shift fine and it appears to go into reverse fine but pops right out under load, if I try to hold reverse it grinds and pops right out. The bushings are a bit worn and I have a set on the way. I did have a 85 gti that did the exact same thing and after bushings were all replaced it worked great. Just wondering if there are any other troubleshooting things I can try before I go through the task of getting yet another tranny. Also, is there a better car to pull these trannys from? There is a 98 cabrio and a 95 jetta down there with manual trannys in them, if I have to pull yet another one which if any wold be better?

Vehicles
      86 GTI 2.0L, 88 Scirocco 16V, 2010 F150 STX
      02-10-2009 09:46 AM #2
      Quote, originally posted by ripdotcom »
      Just wondering if there are any other troubleshooting things I can try before I go through the task of getting yet another tranny.

Remove the linkage from the trans, manually select reverse. Push the selector fully into the trans (towards the front of the car) and then twist it towards the drivers side. It'll only twist one way when it is pushed into the trans fully.

You'll hear and feel it clunk into reverse gear. You might need to move the car a few inches either way to get it to drop in, but be sure it is fully selected.

Hop in, press and hold the clutch, start it up, and try reversing. If it grinds and pops out of gear, just leave the linkage off, and pull the trans, the reverse idler inside is shot. If it backs up just fine and has no issues, it is linkage related.

Also, is there a better car to pull these trannys from? There is a 98 cabrio and a 95 jetta down there with manual trannys in them, if I have to pull yet another one which if any wold be better?

The trans with the least amount of miles on it would be the best bet, just be sure the trans in each car will fit the clutch in your car. MK3 2.0L trans codes of AMC, CHE, DFQ, and DGD all use a 24mm input shaft. MK2 16V trans AGB and 2Y also use the 24mm input shaft. All other trans codes use a smaller 22mm input shaft, so the clutch disc needs to fit the input shaft. If you have one of those codes installed now with a 24mm input shaft, be sure the next trans you try also has the 24mm input shaft, or have another clutch friction disc handy to fit the smaller input shaft trans.

020 trans info pages - www.BrokeVW.com
      NEW 0.7619 5th gears for the 020
      NEW 020 reverse gears
      '86 GTI 8V 2.0L -'88 Scirocco 16V - '10 F150 4x4

3. 02-10-2009 10:34 AM #3
      Thanks for the help, I pulled the linkage and put it in reverse. It backed up but then simply popped out of gear with no grinding. It just switched over to neutral. Tried it a couple times with same results. It would appear that if I had the bushings replaced that I could hold it in reverse with no problem since I would have 1/4" extra to hold it in position but wont know till they come in. Does this sound like the idler? I pulled the tranny from a 105K 98 jetta that had been hit in the passenger side. Maybe they got hit because reverse didnt work well

Vehicles
      02-10-2009 10:52 AM #4
      Thanks for the help, I pulled the linkage and put it in reverse. It backed up but then simply popped out of gear with no grinding.

The reverse idler is shot. The trans is no good.

It would appear that if I had the bushings replaced that I could hold it in reverse with no problem since I would have 1/4" extra to hold it in position but wont know till they come in.

That might work for a short time, but it'll start forcing it out even with you trying to hold it. It'll then skip the teeth, break and chip more off, and eventually fail 100%.

Does this sound like the idler?

Without question.

I pulled the tranny from a 105K 98 jetta that had been hit in the passenger side.

Many MK3 cars had reverse issues, I attribute it to the self-adjusting clutch cables those cars used, they slip and don't fully disengage the clutch, people select reverse when it grinds a little, and that starts the process of chips turning into missing teeth turning into a stripped gear.

NEW 020 reverse gears

5. 02-10-2009 11:20 AM #5
      New info, Hope it helps and im not trying to talk the tranny into working I was supporting the tranny to start the process of removal and I noticed the transmission mount is completely shot. The tranny will go up 2 inches from the mount so it must of torn loose. Basically if there is any reverse force on the diff, the tranny will raise itself up. I could definitely see this being a problem but would t cause it to pop out of reverse?

6. 02-10-2009 11:26 AM #6
      too late to test now since I pulled the mount but before when you told me to disconnect the linkage, I only unhooked the top weighted part and not the lower plastic section. It could be pulling it right out of gear when i was backing up obviously. Im gona get another mount first but please share your thoughts. too many years of working on rwd BMW's

Vehicles
      02-10-2009 12:05 PM #7
      New info, Hope it helps and im not trying to talk the tranny into working I was supporting the tranny to start the process of removal and I noticed the transmission mount is completely shot. The tranny will go up 2 inches from the mount so it must of torn loose. Basically if there is any reverse force on the diff, the tranny will raise itself up. I could definitely see this being a problem but would t cause it to pop out of reverse?

If the linkage is connected, the the engine/trans unit moves on worn mounts, it can pull on the linkage which is attached to the car body, and this can pull the trans out of gear.

Removing the linkage and manaully selecting reverse and trying it like that removes worn mounts or a bad linkage from the equation, leaving just an internal trans fault.

too late to test now since I pulled the mount but before when you told me to disconnect the linkage, I only unhooked the top weighted part and not the lower plastic section. It could be pulling it right out of gear when i was backing up obviously. Im gona get another mount first but please share your thoughts. too many years of working on rwd BMW's

It's possible, but the piece of linkage that remained during your test shouldn't be able to twist the selector, only pull it out or push it in.
      When the selector is pushed in and then twisted to one side or the other to engage a gear, it can't be pulled out or pushed in at that point, it has to be twisted to center before it can slide in the trans.

If you manaually selected reverse, it should have locked the selector in place, with the only way to get it out of gear being to twist it back to center, so it can slide back out. Since the top portion of the linkage was removed, the only twisting would be from inside the trans out to the selector.
      The damaged reverse idler is kicked out of engagement, shoving the fork, twisting the selector, and popping it out of gear.

If it needs a mount, it needs a mount, but it might not be the cause of the reverse problem.

NEW 020 reverse gears

8. 02-10-2009 03:44 PM #8
      Yeah wishful thinking, changed the mount disconnected everything and did what you said in the first place and it pops right out, At least pick and pull has 30 days on parts, ill probably go pull another one tomorrow if it doesnt work out I will just get this one fixed somewhere. Any idea on average cost to repair?

Vehicles
      02-10-2009 04:34 PM #9
      Any idea on average cost to repair?

It depends on the builder and the parts used, but at least $400, as high as double that. It can go up if other parts need replaced once opened (sync rings worn, or bearings worn, etc.) to $1100 or so for a fully rebuilt trans.

I charge $300 labor when I do rebuilds, and then whatever parts are needed are extra, and the customer can supply them, or I can. I have an Info Page on the site in my sig with parts prices as a reference of what to expect

NEW 020 reverse gears

10. 02-13-2009 03:26 PM #10
      I have a fully rebuilt 020 trans out of a 96 jetta ready to ship today. $500.00 plus shipping if you ship me your broken one back or $700.00 with no core return. Its fully rebuilt syncros, reverse gear, needle bearings. Let me know oh yeah shipping is out of wisconsin.

Tim

timmyk01@hotmail.com

11. 02-14-2009 10:40 PM #11
      Thanks but I got a replacement from the salvage yard and put it in yesterday. Works like a champ.

Vehicles
      02-14-2009 10:53 PM #12
      Thanks but I got a replacement from the salvage yard and put it in yesterday. Works like a champ.

Glad to hear you have it sorted, sorry you had to pull the trans again to fix it though

NEW 020 reverse gears

13. 02-17-2009 08:49 AM #13
      Yeah well since it was fresh in my mind after pulling a couple of them it only took a couple hours to stab it. Thanks again for all the help gang.

14. 02-11-2010 07:26 AM #14
      Mind if i ask what you paid for used tranny?
      Im down in Key West; we have one scrapyard. He charges as is he IS the only one for a hundred miles!

Same issue, found this topic via google. i just bought a 97 jetta with same issue for 400.