Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Results 176 to 210 of 428

    Thread: Mid-Century Modern Appreciation Thread

    1. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      13,112
      11-18-2011 04:17 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by retro_rocket View Post
      My favorite is Troy McClure residing in a knockoff of the Chemosphere
      I like the house where they held the MENSA meeting.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,114
      11-23-2011 01:42 PM #177
      added a ton of pics to my flickr stream from the Eames/LACMA exhibit.



      they start about halfway down this page and go backwards:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/joefultano/page3/

    3. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      13,112
      11-27-2011 04:17 PM #178
      I was born in early 1952. My parents were upper middle-class and had some disposable income that they spent furnishing their home in MCM furniture. This picture was taken in 1954 and is very deceiving. Many have said that I look like I'm 4 in the picture, while I was only a little over 2. That deception is two part. The scale of the Eames shell chairs is quite small, and I was quite tall for my age. I had a head start as I was 24" long at birth. I understand that that's pretty rare.

      When my folks split up my mother got the chair. She seemed to move every six months and the chair got lost along the way. I have an original green shell, but no rocker base.

      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    4. Member Jerry_HEAVEN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2000
      Location
      where the slime lives
      Posts
      12,429
      11-28-2011 01:22 PM #179
      I'm in a little bit of help sourcing something for my Eames office armchair. I've got an old Eames armchair pictured just like the rocker chair above, but with the 4 office leg configuration. It used to have a soft loos cushion padding, but can't seem to find mine anywhere. Hadn't had any luck finding any place online that offers or even knows about this... anyone here might know?

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,114
      11-28-2011 02:48 PM #180
      Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_HEAVEN View Post
      I'm in a little bit of help sourcing something for my Eames office armchair. I've got an old Eames armchair pictured just like the rocker chair above, but with the 4 office leg configuration. It used to have a soft loos cushion padding, but can't seem to find mine anywhere. Hadn't had any luck finding any place online that offers or even knows about this... anyone here might know?
      post a picture for reference, I can look around.

    6. Member Jerry_HEAVEN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2000
      Location
      where the slime lives
      Posts
      12,429
      11-28-2011 05:36 PM #181
      mine looks almost like this except on caster wheels. Same Alex Girard fabric, but in orange.
      I'm looking for that loose cushion piece preferably black, but any color should do. Thanks!




    7. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,114
      11-28-2011 08:51 PM #182
      seems like something any local furniture upholstery place can make for you pretty cheap. Plus, you could probably do a cool MCM fabric too if you wanted.

    8. 11-29-2011 09:35 AM #183
      Quote Originally Posted by Jerry_HEAVEN View Post
      I'm in a little bit of help sourcing something for my Eames office armchair. I've got an old Eames armchair pictured just like the rocker chair above, but with the 4 office leg configuration. It used to have a soft loos cushion padding, but can't seem to find mine anywhere. Hadn't had any luck finding any place online that offers or even knows about this... anyone here might know?

      Super simple.
      Know someone who sews really well?
      Go to a fabric store choose your color, buy a pad, heck buy multiple pads since a person with the know how will be able to whip those out with no problem.

    9. 11-29-2011 10:00 AM #184
      More eye candy.....

      Pasinetti House - Beverly Hills 1958 by Architect Haralamb Georgescu
















      Quincy A Jones 1973 Holmby Hills Ca.
















    10. 12-05-2011 10:04 PM #185
      yowzahs!

    11. Member Maggiolone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2007
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      2,502
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      12-06-2011 12:16 PM #186
      The Chicago suburb of Lincolnwood has been awash in Mid-Century Modern up until very recently. An anomaly for a suburb that literally boarders the city, Lincolnwood was built for the upper middle-class in the mid-50's through early 70's (most other boarder suburbs are usually Victorian, and were filled up by 1955).

      Purple Hotel












      Sadly, many of these structures are actually endangered. The Purple Hotel has lain vacant for a few years, and developers are clamoring to replace it with mixed-use garbage.

      A lot of new-money suburbanites are also replacing the original owners of these Mid-Century homes in Lincolnwood, and doing tear-downs, face-brick and all:




    12. Member GeoffD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2001
      Location
      Killington, Vt & South Dartmouth, Ma
      Posts
      12,144
      Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      12-06-2011 01:35 PM #187
      Quote Originally Posted by Maggiolone View Post
      Personally, I see nothing redeeming about this particular house.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,114
      12-06-2011 05:33 PM #188
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post


      Personally, I see nothing redeeming about this particular house.
      a new set of entry doors, correct garage door, and eliminating all of those planters on the steps would go a long way to make that house more period appropriate.

    14. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      13,112
      12-06-2011 05:36 PM #189
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      a new set of entry doors, correct garage door, and eliminating all of those planters on the steps would go a long way to make that house more period appropriate.
      I don't care for bow windows, either. That would look much better with a couple of huge pieces of fixed glass.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    15. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2001
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      13,245
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      12-06-2011 05:42 PM #190
      Quote Originally Posted by Maggiolone View Post

      This has some major potential.

    16. Member Maggiolone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2007
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      2,502
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      12-06-2011 05:48 PM #191
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      This has some major potential.
      That one actually looks to be in original shape. Barn Red/Redwood Red is a dead giveaway that an old-timer lives there, as most have been using that color for 50 years+ on their exterior wood trim and patio furniture. My grandparents and their friends/family we'd visit would use that color like they were paid to do so.

      The faded blacktop driveway also is another clue the original owner might be occupying this one.

    17. Member Maggiolone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2007
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      2,502
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      12-06-2011 05:55 PM #192
      More Lincolnwood gems:




      My cousin's ex-bf actually lived in this complex above. Inside was the epitome of mid-60's luxury. Mirrors, high ceilings, suspended lanterns, and glitzy bathrooms in weird colors.


      Last edited by Maggiolone; 12-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.

    18. 12-06-2011 05:56 PM #193
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      a new set of entry doors, correct garage door, and eliminating all of those planters on the steps would go a long way to make that house more period appropriate.
      Yeah that's the first thing that jumped out at me as well because those are the last things I need to do to my place. The previous owners had put in a new roll-up garage door (exactly like the house you quoted) and a goto Home Depot front door (exactly like the one in the picture but single not double) I loath them both greatly but at this time the money must go to so many other more important items, however the door will absolutely be the first to go once the funds become available. The garage door on the other hand, well because its pretty much brand spankin new and on the costly end of things to replace I will just have live with this one. One of my neighbors who have the same garage door simply removed the sunburst designs and replace the openings with clear windows, it looks sooooo much better, I will have to copy.

    19. 12-08-2011 08:59 AM #194
      Bump with some Palm Springs - 1950's Alexander (William & Krisel) eye candy goodness....























      Last edited by RENOG; 12-08-2011 at 09:20 AM.

    20. 12-08-2011 09:04 AM #195
      Moar...

      Entry divider that continues past the window giving the feeling of bringing the outdoors in.



      Groovy in-wall fireplace























    21. 12-08-2011 09:05 AM #196
      and......













    22. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,114
      12-08-2011 09:19 AM #197
      I have a ton of pics from our Honeymoon when we spent a couple day in Palm Springs, I'll have to dig them up and post them.

    23. Member GeoffD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2001
      Location
      Killington, Vt & South Dartmouth, Ma
      Posts
      12,144
      Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      12-08-2011 09:53 AM #198
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Moar...
      I get this Klingon warship image. I guess I'm channeling my inner geek.



      Maybe it's because I live in the moist Northeast but I find that MCM plopped down in the desert on a flat lot with no green does nothing for me.

    24. Member Maggiolone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2007
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      2,502
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      12-08-2011 10:11 AM #199
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Moar...

      I love styled cinder blocks

    25. Senior Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Location
      West Coast FL
      Posts
      28,369
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      12-08-2011 10:24 AM #200
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Maybe it's because I live in the moist Northeast but I find that MCM plopped down in the desert on a flat lot with no green does nothing for me.
      You should see how "out of place" a typical 2 story colonial looks in Southern California or even Florida.

    26. 12-08-2011 10:31 AM #201
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Maybe it's because I live in the moist Northeast but I find that MCM plopped down in the desert on a flat lot with no green does nothing for me.
      Yeah its not for everybody heck its not for most no matter the location, most all my friends are still lusting over McMansions and or have them and love them. Their reaction to my place is funny, although they all like it and feel that its cozy and comfy. Some comment that it reminds them of a log cabin because of the unpainted open post and beams / tongue and groove cellings, or imply that its to small or to old and granny for them...To each his own.

      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      You should see how "out of place" a typical 2 story colonial looks in Southern California or even Florida.
      Man forreal..
      Last edited by RENOG; 12-08-2011 at 10:36 AM.

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2001
      Location
      south jersey
      Posts
      19,114
      12-08-2011 11:02 AM #202
      just got a pretty much mint bathroom vanity delivered. it has original boomerang formica and came with a hamper that gets cut into the wall. it's pretty wild. I'll get pics up soon.

    28. Member GeoffD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2001
      Location
      Killington, Vt & South Dartmouth, Ma
      Posts
      12,144
      Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      12-08-2011 11:30 AM #203
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Yeah its not for everybody heck its not for most no matter the location, most all my friends are still lusting over McMansions and or have them and love them. Their reaction to my place is funny, although they all like it and feel that its cozy and comfy. Some comment that it reminds them of a log cabin because of the unpainted open post and beams / tongue and groove cellings, or imply that its to small or to old and granny for them...To each his own.

      I like MCM. I just think that if you're doing walls of glass, it should be in a more private and soothing environment. Grass, trees, enough land to provide privacy, view and/or water features.



      A tract house on a small lot in the desert with no grass or trees doesn't do anything for me.

      One of the great things about MCM is that the houses are generally pretty small. I owned the big house once and swore I'd never do that again.
      Last edited by GeoffD; 12-08-2011 at 11:34 AM.

    29. 12-08-2011 02:42 PM #204
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      I like MCM. I just think that if you're doing walls of glass, it should be in a more private and soothing environment. Grass, trees, enough land to provide privacy, view and/or water features.



      A tract house on a small lot in the desert with no grass or trees doesn't do anything for me.

      One of the great things about MCM is that the houses are generally pretty small. I owned the big house once and swore I'd never do that again.
      The mountainous backdrop are gorgous though but I totally see what your saying. This is one of many reasons I like Eichlers so much, all the windows are in the back of the house as well as around the atrium. From the street you see nothing but the back of the house opens up. Nor Cal has the best surroundings as far as views are concerned for eichlers especially in Marin county, and Lucas Vally are second to none......

      All in Lucas Valley









      Last edited by RENOG; 12-08-2011 at 02:52 PM.

    30. Member GeoffD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2001
      Location
      Killington, Vt & South Dartmouth, Ma
      Posts
      12,144
      Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      12-08-2011 03:08 PM #205
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      The mountainous backdrop are gorgous though but I totally see what your saying. This is one of many reasons I like Eichlers so much, all the windows are in the back of the house as well as around the atrium. From the street you see nothing but the back of the house opens up.
      That's fine but not if you have a glass wall on the back of the house, 50 feet of land, a fence, and a house on the next lot with their glass wall that looks into yours.

      In a house with that much glass, I want to be able to have sex on the living room sofa and not give my neighbors a show unless they have a good telescope. You need at least an acre and likely more than that to achieve that kind of privacy. ...or your back yard needs to abut conservation land, unbuildable wetlands, or similar green space.

    31. 12-08-2011 03:20 PM #206
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      That's fine but not if you have a glass wall on the back of the house, 50 feet of land, a fence, and a house on the next lot with their glass wall that looks into yours.

      In a house with that much glass, I want to be able to have sex on the living room sofa and not give my neighbors a show unless they have a good telescope. You need at least an acre and likely more than that to achieve that kind of privacy. ...or your back yard needs to abut conservation land, unbuildable wetlands, or similar green space.
      That kinda land is not going to happen in California unless you have millions to spend.

      Privacy, its nothing a good set of blinds cant handle and some nice Bamboo across the back of your fence. Keep in mind all these homes are flats, unless someone jump your fence no one will see you get your groove on. Trust me as many as I've been in their are many many ways to secure your privacy in a track of this sort while maintaing your views so its not that serious really.

    32. Member Maggiolone's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2007
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      2,502
      Vehicles
      84 Jetta Coupe, 07 Impreza
      12-08-2011 03:23 PM #207
      Chicago has a lot of institutions of higher education in MCM:

      Northeastern University


      University of Illinois at Chicago




      Northwestern University (Prentice Hospital)


      Loyola University Chicago

      Sadly, good ol' Damen hall was torn down in 2010. I had many, many classes here. While some students lamented its "prison-like" simplicity, I loved the top floor lounge with its kitchenette intact from 1968.

      Loyola Chicago Mertz hall
      Last edited by Maggiolone; 12-08-2011 at 03:27 PM.

    33. Member mavric_ac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2007
      Location
      Canukistan
      Posts
      11,341
      12-08-2011 04:49 PM #208

    34. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      13,112
      12-08-2011 04:55 PM #209
      Excellent. The same can be said about Detroit. There is some amazing '50s and '60s architecture here.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    35. 12-08-2011 05:11 PM #210
      Quote Originally Posted by Maggiolone View Post
      Chicago has a lot of institutions of higher education in MCM:

      Northwestern University (Prentice Hospital)
      Curious whats inside the hive looking portion of the building? That would surely catch my attention while walking down that street...

    Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •