Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-Century Modern Appreciation Thread

12-15-2011 05:40 PM #226
      You really have to see the stuff in person. We have a Modernism show in Michigan in April.

http://search.antiqnet.com/m&m/

Dealers come in from all over the country to show their wares. They typically bring their best stuff so it's a little pricey, but deals are made on the last day of the show.

My wife has always wanted a rocking chair, but I didn't like the traditional styling. It didn't take long for me to like this. I never would have seen this in local shops.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

2. 12-16-2011 12:45 PM #227
      That is one groovy rocking chair Barry.

Anyhow for those who are interested, the next time you are in LA and want to do some mcm sight seeing of case study houses, well those you can get to. Here you go with some interesting info:

Here's the McCoy material:

CHRONOLOGY
      In several instances (marked by asterisks) the same number was assigned twice: #16, #17 and #18 by Rodney A. Walker, completed in 1947 and 1948, were reassigned to Craig Ellwood, whose CSH #16, #17 and #18 were completed in 1952, 1955 and 1957.

Richard Neutra's CSH #20, completed in 1948, reappeared in the 1958 CSH #20 by Buff, Straub and Hensman. CSH #21, a 1947 unexecuted Neutra project, turned up again as Pierre Koenig's CSH #21, completed in 1958.

J.R. Davidson's CSH #1 and #11 were transposed when #1 was abandoned and #11 was the first CSH to be completed, furnished, landscaped and opened to the public. This was an event A & A considered important enough to merit #1.

Too many houses were delayed or projects abandoned for houses to be opened to the public in chronological order -- which would have been an editorial convenience -- so in 1950 the houses were assigned a year rather than a number; this accounts for Raphael Soriano's 1950 house having no CSH number. But continuing delays made this policy impossible to maintain.

The success of the program and the delays in construction in the early phase were responsible for certain houses being pulled into the program after construction was almost completed, simply to keep worthy examples of design before the public.

It was modest of the editor not to have foreseen that 32 years after the program started the interest in it would still be lively-lost, traded and stolen numbers notwithstanding.

Completed Case Studies:
      1946 #1 (#11*) J.R. Davidson, 540 S. Barrington Ave., Los Angeles
      1947 #2 Spaulding and Rex, 846 Chapea Rd., Pasadena
      1947 #10 Nomland and Nomland, 711 San Raphael Ave., Pasadena
      1947 #15 J.R. Davidson, 4755 Lasheart Dr., La Canada
      1947 #16* Rodney A. Walker, 9945 Beverly Grove Dr., Beverly Hills
      1947 #17* Rodney A. Walker, 7861 Woodrow Wilson Dr., Los Angeles
      1948 #18* Rodney A. Walker, 199 Chautauqua Blvd., Pacific Palisades
      1948 #7 Thornton M. Abell, 634 N. Deerfield Ave., San Gabriel 1948 #20* Richard Neutra, 219 Chautauqua Blvd., Pacific Palisades
      1949 #3 Wurster and Bernardi, 13187 Chalon Rd., Los Angeles 1949 #8 Charles Eames, 203 Chautauqua Blvd. , Pacific Palisades
      1949 #9 Eames and Saarinen, 201 Chautauqua Blvd., Pacific Palisades
      1950 1950 CSH Raphael Soriano, 1080 Ravoli Dr., Pacific Palisades
      1952 #16* Craig Ellwood, 1811 Bel Air Rd., Los Angeles
      1955 #17* Craig Ellwood, 9554 Hidden Valley Rd., Beverly Hills
      1957 #18* Craig Ellwood, 1129 Miradero Rd., Beverly Hills 1958 #20* Buff, Straub and Hensman, 2275 Santa Rosa Ave., Altadena
      1958 #21 * Pierre Koenig, 9036 Wonderland Pk. Ave., Los Angeles
      1959 #22 Pierre Koenig, 1635 Woods Dr., Los Angeles
      1960 #23 Triad: Killingsworth, Brady and Smith, Rue de Ann, La Jolla
      1963 #25 Killingsworth, Brady and Smith, 82 Rivo Alto Canal, Long Beach (Naples)
      1963 #26 David Thorne, San Rafael

Unexecuted:
      1945 #4 Ralph Rapson
      1945 #5 Whitney R. Smith
      1945 #6 Richard Neutra
      1945 #11 (#1)* J.R. Davidson
      1946 #12 Whitney R. Smith
      1946 #13 Richard Neutra
      1947 #21 * Richard Neutra
      1956 #19 Don Knorr
      1961 #24 Jones and Emmons
      1963 #26 Killingsworth, Brady and Smith; Structural System: William Nugent

When the magazine was sold in 1962 to David Travers, the program continued through 1966:
      1963 #27 (unexecuted), Campbell and Wong
      1964 Case Study Apartments #1, Alfred M. Beadle (Alan A. Dailey), Phoenix, Arizona
      1964 Case Study Apartments #2 (unexecuted), Killingsworth, Brady and Associates.
      1966 #28 Buff, Hensman and Associates, Thousand Oaks

Vehicles
      wagons and bicycles
      12-16-2011 03:49 PM #228
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Excellent. The same can be said about Detroit. There is some amazing '50s and '60s architecture here.
      indeed, and near the top of that list is the largest Mies Van Der Rohe residential develpoment in the world, located in Lafayette Park (which i am lucky enough to call home).

12-16-2011 03:58 PM #229
      I drove right by your home on Wednesday. I forgot to take my camera as I wanted to get a shot of your development for this thread. I was at Town Square Cooperative, just east of your property, selling them new lighting. That too, was a very MCM style of building before they put peaked roof structures on top of the flat-roof buildings. I don't think that that can happen to your buildings as they are on the Historic Register, no? Right across the street from you is 1300 Lafayette, another fine MCM structure. I've been in the lighting business in Detroit for 35 years. I think I've worked on just about every building down there at some point.

Personally, I think they should take half the trees out of your place so you can see the buildings.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

12-16-2011 04:44 PM #230
      I just sent your picture of LP to the property manager down the street. The difference in light color is what I'm selling. Watt for watt white light appears twice as bright.

Thanks!

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

6. 12-19-2011 09:39 AM #231
      Are there any interior pics of this Mies development? I don't think I've ever seen any...

@Barry that light you're showing is that LED? Here in California (at least in SF and its surrounding bay cities) PG&E are slowly replacing all street lights with LED lamps. Boy what a difference they make, (as shown in you picture which cast the same light as LEDs).

Vehicles
      wagons and bicycles
      12-19-2011 09:43 AM #232
      I drove right by your home on Wednesday. I forgot to take my camera as I wanted to get a shot of your development for this thread. I was at Town Square Cooperative, just east of your property, selling them new lighting. That too, was a very MCM style of building before they put peaked roof structures on top of the flat-roof buildings. I don't think that that can happen to your buildings as they are on the Historic Register, no? Right across the street from you is 1300 Lafayette, another fine MCM structure. I've been in the lighting business in Detroit for 35 years. I think I've worked on just about every building down there at some point.

Personally, I think they should take half the trees out of your place so you can see the buildings.
      I'm familiar with town square, those are nice in their own right. I can all but guarantee that there will never be any modification to our buildings that isn't within Mies-ian standards, heck, we recently replaced some private sidewalks making sure to spec concrete with the same aggregate/cement mixture as the original construction, but yes it is also on the national historic register as well. While not everyone who lives in the townhouses (which are co-op units for purchase, the apartment towers are rental) appreciates the architectural pedigree of the place (to each their own), there is a high number of architects in our nieghborhood, many of which are on the boards of the 4 co-ops that comprise all of the townhouses. And even those who are less than architecturally minded will bleed for this place because of the amazing sense of community.

As far as your comment on the trees, well, I would keep that one to yourself if ever in the area, those would be considered fighting words to most of us who live here , because as great as an architect as Mies was, it was Alfred Caldwell's lanscape architecture that makes the place. Photos of the place right after it was built make it look like a bad, sterile motel without the canopy of honey locusts. many of the trees are nearing or at their maximum life expectancy of ~50-60 years, which is of great concern to many residents, to the point of some growing seedlings for future continuity. And its those trees which keep the sounds of the freeway, just a block away, out of the neighborhood, and the buildings from being sun-bleached in the summer.

http://www.miesdetroit.org/
      Last edited by username; 12-19-2011 at 10:05 AM.

12-19-2011 09:46 AM #233
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Are there any interior pics of this Mies development? I don't think I've ever seen any...

@Barry that light you're showing is that LED? Here in California (at least in SF and its surrounding bay cities) PG&E are slowly replacing all street lights with LED lamps. Boy what a difference they make, (as shown in you picture which cast the same light as LEDs).
      I hate LEDs. They're not all they're touted to be.

What you see in the picture is metal halide.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      wagons and bicycles
      12-19-2011 09:51 AM #234
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post

I'm sure you can find some online, either in the link i posted above http://www.miesdetroit.org/ or in this Dwell article from a few years back http://www.dwell.com/slideshows/mies...ette-park.html I don't really have any of my own handy.

they have replaced many lamps on some of our local freeways with LED's as well, VAST improvment over whatever was in there previously.
      Last edited by username; 12-19-2011 at 10:01 AM.

10. 12-19-2011 10:16 AM #235
      Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
      I'm sure you can find some online, either in the link i posted above http://www.miesdetroit.org/ or in this Dwell article from a few years back http://www.dwell.com/slideshows/mies...ette-park.html I don't really have any of my own handy.
      Thanks, very nice.

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      12-19-2011 12:19 PM #236
      I hate LEDs. They're not all they're touted to be.

What you see in the picture is metal halide.
      I have a couple of Philips A-60 replacement bulbs that do a pretty good job of replacing a 60 watt incandescent bulb. Their LED bulb has 3 different LED colors in the array. I think it's only a matter of time before the light quality and cost make LED the technology of choice. I did two bulbs as an experiment in lamps that are on many hours per day. I can't justify doing any more than that until the price drops.

12-19-2011 12:25 PM #237
      My business is servicing parking lot lighting. I don't see the value, yet.

I don't like the light color and I don't like the fact that there's no standardization, which won't happen until there's an industry shakeout. I don't like that they were imitially touted as good for 100,000 hours and have been recently derated to 50,000 hours. In answer to that there are now MH lamps that go 40,000 hours. I don't see a big advantage anymore that will support their high initial cost.

Did you know that it takes 800 LEDs to replace one 1000-watt metal halide light source?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

13. Member
      12-19-2011 04:54 PM #238
      picked this up at auction, now on Craigs.

12-19-2011 05:02 PM #239
      Nice.

I only have a miniature version.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

15. Member
      12-19-2011 05:15 PM #240
      this is obviously a copy and it needs a little bit of work, but if I told you how much I paid for it you'd throw up. I'm selling it to cover the costs of the stuff I want to keep that I bought at the auction, like that TST Cathay set I posted above.

I equate myself to a drug dealer: Buy enough stuff to sell to cover your own head stash.

12-19-2011 05:16 PM #241
      Makes sense to me.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

17. Member
      12-19-2011 05:30 PM #242
      I just now decided to rip this thing apart and turn it into a coffee table. It was damaged getting onto the highway where the top part became a sail and flew off. I pulled over and saved it, but it's too far gone for me to care about.

12-19-2011 10:11 PM #243
      These were an antique mall find. Can you imagine surviving all those years as a pair?

They are porcelain over copper. They are initialed in a stenciled form "JD". I've see two other works of his/her's on-line, but no other information.

Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      12-20-2011 02:24 AM #244
      I've been meaning to spend a day checking out FLW and similar homes in Chicago, anybody know a good resource for Chicago and southern WI?

20. 12-21-2011 01:01 AM #245
      My wife salvaged a Kent Coffey dresser out of a dumpster a couple of weeks ago, needs some work. Anyone have any resources on how to DIY refinish/refurbish MCM furniture?

21. 12-21-2011 09:46 AM #246
      My wife salvaged a Kent Coffey dresser out of a dumpster a couple of weeks ago, needs some work. Anyone have any resources on how to DIY refinish/refurbish MCM furniture?

I don't know of any personally as I have yet to tackle such a project. However
      I would assume its like any other piece of wood furniture, strip sand and stain. Nothing your typical wood work refinishing DIY video wouldn't cover. See youtube / Google search etc. should find what you're looking for there.

12-21-2011 09:48 AM #247
      Many MCM pieces are rendered less valuable by removing a decent patina.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

23. 12-21-2011 01:41 PM #248
      umm, decent patina i wouldn't mind. this one is like freaking steve austin. we ned to rebuild. it's actually missing a few pieces from the drawers as well. still got to figure out where to get the wood & getting it shaped.

besides, i don't think it ever crossed my mind to restore it & sell it.

24. Member
      12-26-2011 07:15 PM #249
      got a super cool print from the wife for Christmas, I'll try to snap a pic and post it soon. It has a Plycraft, George Nelson Bubble Lamp and Clock on it. Very cool piece, now I need to get it framed and find somewhere to put it.

25. 01-04-2012 11:09 AM #250
      I am on a mission, I want one of these:

Its a 50's train station wall mounted double sided clock. I saw one mounted in a Cliff May dining enty way. Ebay - no / Craigs List - no. This google picture is one of the only 50's era item that came up which was sold.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast