Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-Century Modern Appreciation Thread

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      09-19-2011 02:17 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by buddahvw View Post
      I had been house shopping in Vegas and saw some really cool mid-century modern homes, the forum seemed to like seeing the pics and talking about MCM design - so here is the official mid-century modern appreciation thread.....

I will start it out by posting the pics of the "square" house that started the discussion:

I know this is an old post but what ever became of this house?

2. 09-19-2011 10:05 AM #72
      ^^ good question, probably still vacant. Looks like it could be one awesome house if enough money is thrown at it..

Vehicles
      2012 mini countryman s
      09-19-2011 03:01 PM #73
      another up for sale on the street behind me
      needs some updating for $550k
      http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17...105274_zpid/#2

here's some info:

A Mid-Century Classic.One Of The Well Known Eichler Designed Houses In A Neighborhood Of Eichler Homes.See Www.Balboahighlands.Com For More Information On These Homes.Many Of Them Recently Redone To Bring Them Back To The Conditions They Would Have Been In When New.Located In The Knowlwood Area Of Granada Hills.All Of The Eichler Touches Are Here. Open The Front Door And Step Into A Classic Eichler Enclosed Courtyard,Really An Outdoor Living Room. The High Ceilings In The Living Room Give It An Airy Feel,Original Mahogany Paneling Gives It Warmth.The Brick Fireplace Is Surrounded By Windows Looking Onto The Expansive Back Yard With Its Pool. The Deep Roof Overhang Helps Keep The Home And Patio Cooler.The Master Bedroom Has Sliding Doors That Open To The Yard.The Master Bath Has A Shower Big Enough For 2. The Office/Den Behind The Kitchen Opens To The Back Also.Bring Your Imagination And Your Eichler Book And Refresh This Great 4 Bedroom 2 Bath Home.…
      or you can get this one on the next street over for $835k

Last edited by VR6JetPilot; 09-19-2011 at 03:06 PM.

4. 09-19-2011 05:14 PM #74
      Sweet eichlers, never cared for the front facade of that last one though.

5. 09-19-2011 10:20 PM #75
      so is that your crib?

6. 09-20-2011 01:32 AM #76
      OK I am new to this but i am completely blown away! These houses look too good to be true, imagine actually living there! Coming home to such house would be the best thing ever.

7. 09-20-2011 10:20 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Miller View Post
      OK I am new to this but i am completely blown away! These houses look too good to be true, imagine actually living there! Coming home to such house would be the best thing ever.
      Its a California thing, both Southern (Orange coounty) and Northern (all over the dog-gon place) and you'll see huge tracks of these eichler homes many of which are in horrid shape as the neighborhoods are old, but as you can see MCM (Mid Century Modern) has made a strong come back and 30-40 somethings with a little money are investing in these homes. If you were to drive into one of these neighborhoods you'll see that about every third or fourth house has been kept up and or totally refreshed, its really interesting to see what people have done.

Vehicles
      2012 mini countryman s
      09-20-2011 12:18 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Mars Noble View Post
      so is that your crib?
      if you're asking me, nope. i live on the street next to a whole track of eichlers.
      i live in a hilly area and the track is at a peak with views and i'm on the street below them.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV
      09-20-2011 02:05 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Its a California thing, both Southern (Orange coounty) and Northern (all over the dog-gon place) and you'll see huge tracks of these eichler homes

Don't forget us in Central California. Not Eichlers, but we have several tracts of MCM's in Fresno.

10. 09-20-2011 02:12 PM #80
      I was actually quoting renog from the bottom of the 2nd page.

for the record, eischler homes are quintessential mcm homes. however, you don't have to live in one to furnish your home in this style.

if you live in a mcmansion, then yes it may not reflect the book cover. i live in a '60's brick rambler in n.va, with a carport. it's no where near the a-frame design, but we've furnished parts of house with mcm themes.

i find using lane, brasilia, & old broyhill type ish is a welcome respite from all the ethan allen, pier1, marlo ish that's out there.

11. 09-20-2011 07:48 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by bubbagti View Post
      Don't forget us in Central California. Not Eichlers, but we have several tracts of MCM's in Fresno.
      You are absolutely right and some very beautiful ones at that. http://fresnomodern.com/

@Mars Noble
      Nope not my crib, I wish. Top one is an OC Eichler and the bottom is a butterfly roof Alexander in Palm Springs in the Twin palms neighborhood, its absolutely awesome but much smaller in person.
      MCM decor i.e. furniture and nick nacks etc can always be applied to anything ranch style. If I may add Ramblers and teak furniture goes together like Ice and Cream.
      Last edited by RENOG; 09-20-2011 at 07:55 PM.

12. 09-26-2011 08:20 PM #82
      To the top...

It was punishment unique to her modernist parents: hours of solitary confinement with classic and contemporary design icons, followed by stern yet uncomfortably hypocritical lectures on freedom of expression and rejecting tradition.
      Last edited by RENOG; 09-26-2011 at 08:24 PM.

13. 09-28-2011 04:39 PM #83
      imagine going to this doctor's office to find this waiting room?

Found it here.

Vehicles
      1990 Jetta Diesel, 1987 Jetta, 1986 Jetta, 1986 GLI, 63 356, 1984 911, 2013 Fiat 500, 1997 Passat
      09-28-2011 06:21 PM #84
      I am finally moving out of the 'rents house in the next month or two, which is long overdue mostly due to financial constraints. I have been grabbing some furniture that has a bit of MCM-ness to it.

MCM is by far my favorite style, and I've told my GF that all furniture will reflect that. I will not buy anything from IKEA. The orange sectional is from the 60s and looks brand new.

Deer head not included, the chair was buried under stuff at the place I picked it up.

Pardon the mess, they are in a 'junk' storage room.

15. 09-29-2011 04:14 PM #85
      Here's some more MCM goodness....

16. Member
      09-30-2011 12:18 PM #86
      Ok, MCM peeps. I need a little advice. I'm a Mid-Century/Danish Mod furniture snob. Our sofa is a Milo Baughman for Thayer Coggins. Whenever I see a piece of furniture somewhere I peek to see if there's a tag or label on it to see if it's real. Here's my dilema: I've been really wanting a Herman Miller Plycraft recliner, like this one just posted:

but, you can't touch one for less than $3000, sometimes over $4000 depending on the wood used. I hit up quite a few furniture auctions seeking out MCM goodness and they usually don't have Plycrafts.

So, I can save up forever and maybe get one if I get that promotion I'm dreaming of at work, OR, I can buy a reproduction (read: copy) for about $600.

Should I not let my snobiness get in the way and buy the repro, so at least in the meantime I have something to sit in?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      09-30-2011 12:38 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      So, I can save up forever and maybe get one if I get that promotion I'm dreaming of at work, OR, I can buy a reproduction (read: copy) for about $600.

Should I not let my snobiness get in the way and buy the repro, so at least in the meantime I have something to sit in?
      Some repros are VERY good.

I would say, carefully inspect a brand new herman miller at a local store, and find a repro that you can do the same with. If you're happy with the quality, then go for it.

Who cares if it isn't a licensed version?

18. 10-03-2011 12:41 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      Some repros are VERY good.

I would say, carefully inspect a brand new herman miller at a local store, and find a repro that you can do the same with. If you're happy with the quality, then go for it.

Who cares if it isn't a licensed version?
      Exactly what he said, you'd be surprised at how many mcm furniture snobs actually settle for repros. In fact it's a known fact that many good repro lounge chairs are more comfy than the orig. Just find a good quality one. I spot many repos in quality mcm magazines. Most times if you didn't count the feet (repos tend to have only 4) you wouldn't know it.
      Go for it man because spending 3-4k on a Pretentious chair is insane.
      Last edited by RENOG; 10-03-2011 at 12:58 AM.

19. Member
      10-03-2011 12:51 AM #89
      one of my possible counter arguments is that a good vintage piece will actually appreciate in value, as does most vintage furniture. Granted, I will most likely go with the copy just so I have one and keep an eye out at the auctions for an original.

We went to some antique stores out in PA today after I picked up a roof rack for my GTI off of Craig's. I have this problem with MCM lamps. We now have about 5 pairs, not including the floor to ceiling pole lamp and the 3 light stand lights in our living room. I guess my point is, I have WAY too many lamps.

20. 10-03-2011 01:13 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      one of my possible counter arguments is that a good vintage piece will actually appreciate in value, as does most vintage furniture. Granted, I will most likely go with the copy just so I have one and keep an eye out at the auctions.
      I'd say that's a good plan. If you're looking at it a from an investment point of view then that's different. It surely wouldn't hurt to have at least one piece in the house for investment purposes.

10-03-2011 01:17 AM #91
      I'm going to have to take this thread of my subscribed list......

I just found myself searching CL for furniture and I live in a shared apartment with some other students, so my room would just get packed because there's no way in hell I'd leave that stuff in the living room.

22. 10-03-2011 01:29 AM #92
      Thinking of Danish teak. This right here is one slick little piece...

http://furniture.thefind.com/furnitu...teak-furniture
      Last edited by RENOG; 10-03-2011 at 01:34 AM.

23. 10-03-2011 02:37 PM #93

24. Member
      Vehicles
      318is, Scrambler, Dajiban
      10-04-2011 08:46 PM #94
      ^^

I drove by my fav local Eichler tract recently and only one was for sale. In the high $6s... was hoping they'd come down in price but guess not.

25. Member
      10-05-2011 12:23 AM #95
      I'm resigned to the fact I'll never own an Eichler. If I move up in my current company several positions I might have have opportunity to move to the SanFran area and maybe rent one. but that's as close as I'm going to get.

26. 10-05-2011 03:15 PM #96
      Moar.....

SoCal MCM Kappe house

27. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      10-05-2011 04:44 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Moar.....

SoCal MCM Kappe house

Beautiful but obviously constructed prior to many building codes.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Tiguan, 1982 Alfa Spider, Cannondale R700
      10-05-2011 05:07 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      The green shag is definitely a fire hazard; it may also cause blindness.

29. 10-05-2011 05:44 PM #99
      Year built 1967, so yes you are absolutely right. Take a look at those stairs
      I would think folks would have to sign a waiver before coming onto the property, oh and no children under the age of 12 (who also must be accompanied by an adult at all times).

30. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      10-05-2011 06:47 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      The green shag is definitely a fire hazard; it may also cause blindness.
      Books, magazines and shelf within about 18" of the fire in the fireplace? Makes you wonder how it lasted all these years.

31. 10-06-2011 11:16 AM #101
      Books, magazines and shelf within about 18" of the fire in the fireplace? Makes you wonder how it lasted all these years.
      Meh mostly set up for the photoshoot, besides they probably haven't fired that thing up since 1987. I'd be more stressed out trying to navigate the house's terrain in the middle of the night for a snack in the kitchen. All the slit leveling going on I mean just look, almost every room is on a different level. One or two steps or more, even the that fire place is on its own level.....sheesh.
      With all that said this house is seriously awesome, its a house you would construct in your dreams, living in it though would take some serious getting use too.
      'Watch that second step!! its a monster'..
      Last edited by RENOG; 10-06-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Vehicles
      mk1 GTI, e34 beater
      10-08-2011 01:33 PM #102

33. Member
      10-08-2011 01:37 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Aaron22 View Post
      I'm going to get to see this in 2 weeks when we're in L.A. for an anniversary trip

I actually came in here to post that same thing.

10-08-2011 11:08 PM #104
      Best thread ever. My wife and I are trolling craigslist all the time lately for 50s-60s furniture to put in our 70s ranch. I lust after a place to put an Eames recliner/ lounger.

35. 10-10-2011 11:31 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by wrigh003 View Post
      Best thread ever. My wife and I are trolling craigslist all the time lately for 50s-60s furniture to put in our 70s ranch. I lust after a place to put an Eames recliner/ lounger.

Funny thing my wife thinks the Eames Lounge chair is the ugliest thing ever..

Yes I too do the same thing on CL. I'm starting to really get into danish teak MCM stuff.

Eames/Mies Van Der Rohe/Le Cobusier/ Isamu Noguchi/ Eero Saarrinen furniture is all starting to get a bit to trendy and gimmicy for me now. In almost every ad and house you see something sitting there from one of the top five modern funiture designers, Its really coming across as a fad i.e. Rolex watches...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast