VWVortex

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid-Century Modern Appreciation Thread

1. Member
      11-14-2011 07:52 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by Preppy View Post
      I have a replica eames lounger.

Do you hate me?
      no. I was planning on getting a replica as a "placeholder" until I got the scratch together for a real one (read back a couple pages).

I have an original coffee table base that is "attributed" to Noguchi (I think) but I don't have a glass top for it. I'll see if I can find pictures of it somewhere.

edit: found one that's close. it looks like this, but only have 1 arm that sticks out from the base, not 2.

Visit antiquehelper.com
      Last edited by synthsis; 11-14-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Vehicles
      2009 370Z sport/touring
      11-14-2011 08:03 PM #142
      Quote Originally Posted by synthsis View Post
      I can't tell you how tired I am of seeing Noguchi coffee tables in every single house. If it's an original, kudos to you, if you bought it from DWR, go eff yourself.
      I was under the impression that the DWR tables were the legit ****, hence the inscribed signature on the edge. What's so wrong with that?

Also, I've seen in-person only 1 Noguchi outside of the showroom, and I'd bet it was a replica. Didn't change the fact that it went great with the room and made me want one too.

3. Member
      11-14-2011 08:22 PM #143
      DWR might be legit, but this table might also be the most played piece out of the entire era. It's simplicity made it an icon but it also made it an easy target for cheap replication.

Vehicles
      2009 370Z sport/touring
      11-15-2011 12:26 AM #144
      I completely understand, and I agree with you to an extent, but I don't share your passion. It makes sense for you to be annoyed by it as an aficionado of the style, but for the average and even above average furniture consumer, it's a nameless, well-designed table that might resonate on a subconscious level ("hey, doesn't Conan have that?") but ultimately will just be pleasing to the eye.

It's like some of the companies I design for. Internally they want to keep changing the look/feel of their materials because they see them every day and they're sick of them, but those materials are intended for a varying audience, and fact is, that audience sees it once in a blue moon and they think it looks great. After all, 3/4" thick glass is damn sexy.

No, I don't own one. I want one though.

11-15-2011 06:47 AM #145
      I can't tell you how tired I am of seeing Noguchi coffee tables in every single house. If it's an original, kudos to you, if you bought it from DWR, go eff yourself.
      I'll ask again. How do you feel about replica Cobras and Speedsters?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

6. Member
      11-15-2011 09:32 AM #146
      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      I'll ask again. How do you feel about replica Cobras and Speedsters?
      I tend to be a snob about 3 things: Mid Century furniture, coffee, and MMA.

as far as replica cars, I think it's a little apples&oranges, if you want to drop $20Gs on a kit car, that's not the same as dropping $200 on a knockoff coffee table.

11-15-2011 09:35 AM #147
      I think it is the same. Price doesn't matter.

BTW, I'm not a fan of knock-off, either. I wouldn't ever knowingly buy one.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

8. 11-15-2011 03:57 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeous View Post
      the average and even above average furniture consumer, it's a nameless, well-designed table that might resonate on a subconscious level ("hey, doesn't Conan have that?") but ultimately will just be pleasing to the eye.
      So true, in fact in my circle of friends, as well as those I work with, I am the only one who even knows what MCM is, I have to educate them when the topic comes up. Yes they may recognize the chairs and tables but only because they've seen them before. I found that those who appreciates a good design will acknowlege it but thats about it. Its the same with architecture, I have a friend who currently owns an Atrium Eichler home in San Rafael Ca and have no idea of who he was and dosen't care, but she absolutely loves the house to death. Now if I can just talk them out of all the old traditional all american supersized furniture blocking all the glass.

Vehicles
      07 Fahrenheit GTI, 03 Mountaineer
      11-15-2011 04:33 PM #149
      Personally, I think MCM furniture that you sit on is uncomfortable as hell.

11-15-2011 04:43 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
      Personally, I think MCM furniture that you sit on is uncomfortable as hell.
      Especially if you're tall or big.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

11. 11-15-2011 04:55 PM #151
      Especially if you're tall or big.
      Yup I'm 6'2 and 220lbs and I can't mess with those old school mcm couches, (minus Barcelona seating) but since I love the style I just bought something that follows the general clean cut style. Also too I recently went into DWR and sat in my favorite chaise/chair the LC4 and that dog-gon cylinder pillow catches me right across the bottom of my sholders
      Last edited by RENOG; 11-15-2011 at 04:58 PM.

11-15-2011 05:02 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Yup I'm 6'2 and 220lbs and I can't mess with those old school mcm couches, (minus Barcelona seating) but since I love the style I just bought something that follows the general clean cut style. Also too I recently went into DWR and sat in my favorite chaise/chair the LC4 and that dog-gon cylinder pillow catches me right across the bottom of my sholders
      I was going to buy some vintage Barcelona chairs at an MCM show until I tried to sit in them. They are beautiful, but uncomfortable. I'm 6'5" and 280 lbs.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

13. 11-15-2011 05:22 PM #153
      Thats the thing most vintage MCM seating is way too firm with low backs, I suppose thats why it last so long, no one wants to sit in it
      To be honest the most comfy mcm seat I've sat in has been, well the Eames lounge chair....

11-15-2011 05:32 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      Thats the thing most vintage MCM seating is way too firm with low backs, I suppose thats why it last so long, no one wants to sit in it
      To be honest the most comfy mcm seat I've sat in has been, well the Eames lounge chair....
      If you want a comfortable chair with an MCM look, try Ecornes.

http://www.ekornes.com/us/
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

15. 11-15-2011 06:01 PM #155
      If you want a comfortable chair with an MCM look, try Ecornes.

http://www.ekornes.com/us/
      Nice stuff thanks.

Funny thing is my most comfy chair that I own presently is my cheap Poang Ikea chair and footstool with the leather cushions. Can you believe I had them since 1999, besides the obvious leather stretch of the cushions, its still in top notch condition and I sit in it everyday after work. I swear the Poang Chair is one of the most quality items Ikea sells. Its no wonder its still kept in inventory.

16. Member
      11-15-2011 09:24 PM #156
      I sold an Ekornes stresseless a couple months ago. snagged it at auction for $40, sold it for $350 I think. nice way to bolster my personal MCM furniture funds.

17. 11-16-2011 09:59 AM #157
      1957 Philip Kimmelman in LA.

Edit: For more shots and beautiful interior go here.....

http://crosbydoeproperties.com/8973w...ave/images.php
      Last edited by RENOG; 11-16-2011 at 10:48 AM.

11-16-2011 10:03 AM #158
      That's very sharp.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

19. Member
      11-16-2011 10:22 AM #159
      When we were at the Stahl house, I was talking to the woman who was running the showing and we got into discussing how homes like that one (and most of the ones in this thread for that matter) would never meet current Residential Building Code.

I can understand a lot of the stuff is there for safety and to ensure we don't end up killing ourselves, but I also feel that Code is restricting architects from exploring design to it's full potential. I was talking to a general contractor when I was considering having an addition put on our house and I said I wanted to have a floor-to-ceiling fixed window panel area and he told me it has to start at least 3 feet from the floor otherwise it would require violently expense glass to meet code.

11-16-2011 10:24 AM #160
      I said I wanted to have a floor-to-ceiling fixed window panel area and he told me it has to start at least 3 feet from the floor otherwise it would require violently expense glass to meet code.
      It just requires tempered glass, which is higher than regular glass, but worth every penny for the view.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

21. Member
      11-16-2011 10:36 AM #161
      he made it sound like it was going to cost me my left nut, maybe he didn't want to go through the hassle. He drew up some basic plans to add a low pitch roof addition on the front of my house with triangular clerestory windows. Wish we would have done it but at the same time glad we didn't since I was out of work for a while and the additional home equity payment would not have been fun.

11-16-2011 10:38 AM #162
      I have custom size tempered glass lenses made all the time for parking lot light fixtures. It's really incredibly inexpensive. What is expensive is the crating and shipping.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

Vehicles
      2012 mini countryman s
      11-16-2011 12:21 PM #163
      the picture above made me realize that the one thing i hate about the eichlers next to me is that they all have crappy single garages or car ports right in front of the door.

24. 11-16-2011 02:45 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6JetPilot View Post
      the picture above made me realize that the one thing i hate about the eichlers next to me is that they all have crappy single garages or car ports right in front of the door.
      You either love'm or hate'm..

25. Member
      11-16-2011 11:56 PM #165
      Anyone else notice in the Hair Cuttery commercial with the chick dancing around the 2 Plycraft chairs and the Shell chair in the background?

11-17-2011 03:27 PM #166
      I've seen a lot of commercials with MCM furniture, especially the Eames side/dining chairs with wires/dowel bases. Wasn't it Friends or Seinfeld that had an Eames lounge chair in one of their living rooms?

27. 11-17-2011 04:05 PM #167
      Yeah here's one of my favorite uses of iconic MCM furniture on the big screen.

Tron

Here's my other favorite MCM laden movie..
      The Incredibles

Last edited by RENOG; 11-17-2011 at 04:17 PM.

28. Member
      11-17-2011 04:20 PM #168
      that was pretty much the only reason I was able to watch the Incredibles, I mean it was ok, but the MCM stuff was geeky cool for me. There was a kids cartoon on not too long ago about a little girl who lived with just her dad and a bunch of zoo animals and they had a MCM home. I'll see if I can dig up a clip to post.

11-17-2011 04:41 PM #169
      Almost all the nice homes and buildings depicted on the Simpsons are MCM or FLLW inspired.
      Last edited by barry2952; 11-18-2011 at 04:13 PM.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

-Zukjimpiphile

30. 11-17-2011 04:47 PM #170
      that was pretty much the only reason I was able to watch the Incredibles, I mean it was ok, but the MCM stuff was geeky cool for me.
      I felt the exact same with speed racer..It had Eichlers in it (see blurred out background).

31. 11-18-2011 10:07 AM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Have you seen Visual Acoustics: The Modernism of Julius Shulman?
      awesome documentary loved every bit of it. I realized I've pronoucing Richard Neutra's name wrong, His son pronounced it Ny'tra.

Sythesis was Mr & Miss Stahl present when you all toured the home?

32. Member
      11-18-2011 10:52 AM #172
      unfortunately both the Stahls have passed on. The property is now in control by their 2 adult children. It's hard to see but there are several cameras on the property that are remotely viewed. We got to our tour a little early and the 2 tour guides let us in early. We got to get some nice, clean shots without other people in the way. Then the phone rings and it turns out to be the son on the phone. I hear the tour guide saying things to the effect of, "no we're here, they arrived a little early so we let them in". The guy is TOTAL control freak. He was sitting at his home in Idaho watching the security cameras.

33. 11-18-2011 02:19 PM #173
      unfortunately both the Stahls have passed on. The property is now in control by their 2 adult children. It's hard to see but there are several cameras on the property that are remotely viewed. We got to our tour a little early and the 2 tour guides let us in early. We got to get some nice, clean shots without other people in the way. Then the phone rings and it turns out to be the son on the phone. I hear the tour guide saying things to the effect of, "no we're here, they arrived a little early so we let them in". The guy is TOTAL control freak. He was sitting at his home in Idaho watching the security cameras.
      Goodness, ok yes he is. To be that worried about the house seems quite stressful but for good reason. I can't imagine how many people try and get in just to photo it let alone other not so good reasons. I'd just move in with a couple gaurd dogs.

Didn't know the Stahls died. Most all those guys (the ones still left) in documentary were elderly and seemed to be on their last leg.

34. Member
      11-18-2011 02:32 PM #174
      yea, a little neurotic. it's on a private/non-LA county gated street, so I think that keeps a lot of people out. And dogs? pfft, the house has ZERO yard, no where for them to take a dump. haha.

Vehicles
      2.0 for commuting, 5.0 for lolz
      11-18-2011 04:11 PM #175
      Almost all the nice homes and buildings depicted on the Sinpsons are MCM or FLLW inspired.
      My favorite is Troy McClure residing in a knockoff of the Chemosphere

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast