VWVortex

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast
    Results 1,331 to 1,365 of 1418

Thread: NASCAR Race Talk

Vehicles
      Sportage
      06-07-2011 03:36 PM #1331
      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      not a big fan of any of the JGR or RCR teams. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose JGR because of the Coach himself. Followed him during his coaching days and met him once. Joe Gibbs is a class act. Now, I know I can't say the same about RC who is defenitely leading by example.
      Gibbs is a great guy. He has a quote about winning a NASCAR championship is harder than anything he's ever done. He's had some great drivers, and not so great, just like every other team.

Childress is one from the old school. He was one of the smartest racers, since he knew when to get out from behind the wheel. I like the guy because he still has the same racing mentality. The younger generation of drivers don't have the same respect for racing.

I've been an RCR fan because of the #3. Since the end of the #3, I've been for the #18 w/ Labonte, #20 and #14 Stewart, and the #29 of Harvick. For the #48, Chad Knaus has a great team, and they do run their operation with more intensity than anyone else. And I'm not really a fan of any other HMS team, other than Martin because he's old. Look at him, he's just... old!

I'm pretty much a Chevy guy, too.
      Colonel Leopold Wraithwood //// twitter: mbull //// blog //// "Marcel Bruwn" - Travoltified
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.

Vehicles
      2003 Gti, 2001 Wolfsburg
      06-11-2011 09:35 AM #1332
      Pocono tomorrow.
      The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #268 "Like 6 cylinder of 15 degree sex"

(_fishbowl society_)

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325 / 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2007 Trailblazer SS
      06-29-2011 11:45 PM #1333
      Here we go again...DAYTONA!!! Fun road race weekend. Felt bad for Mcdowell but happy for Reed What does everyone feel about Silly Season thus far? Looks like everyone is waiting for Edwards to make the initial anouncement but I'm hoping he stays w/ RFR. Cheers folks

Vehicles
      Sportage
      06-30-2011 05:11 PM #1334
      Here we go again...DAYTONA!!! Fun road race weekend. Felt bad for Mcdowell but happy for Reed What does everyone feel about Silly Season thus far? Looks like everyone is waiting for Edwards to make the initial anouncement but I'm hoping he stays w/ RFR. Cheers folks
      Well he's probably waiting on seeing what happens with the Red Bull team.

It'd be kinda funny if Carl left, it leaves the door open for Mark to come back, or bring in Bayne or Stenhouse.
      Colonel Leopold Wraithwood //// twitter: mbull //// blog //// "Marcel Bruwn" - Travoltified
      Stop making things idiot-proof. We're just making better idiots. Not the way we need to be going.

Vehicles
      06-30-2011 07:41 PM #1335
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Well he's probably waiting on seeing what happens with the Red Bull team.

It'd be kinda funny if Carl left, it leaves the door open for Mark to come back, or bring in Bayne or Stenhouse.
      Bayne is a little impatient when it comes to securing a ride for the next season. I've read on Yahoo that he himselft admitted he is getting impatient. Kind of reminds me of what happend between him and MWR. Also, RFR recently announced loosing Crown Royal so we'll see the fallout from that.

Vehicles
      Sportage
      06-30-2011 07:56 PM #1336
      Bayne is a little impatient when it comes to securing a ride for the next season. I've read on Yahoo that he himselft admitted he is getting impatient. Kind of reminds me of what happend between him and MWR. Also, RFR recently announced loosing Crown Royal so we'll see the fallout from that.
      RE: Crown Royal leaving. Affliction/Sinful will take up the slack. Gotta pour all that $100 t-shirt money from Jersey Shore wannabe's somewhere.

As far as RFR goes, it's all about Edwards and Kenseth. Biffle isn't making any splashes (sadly), and Ragan is meh.

I think the lineup at RFR will get a big shake up, especially if the man in the hat steps down.

Vehicles
      08-01-2011 11:39 AM #1337
      wow, this thread really slowed dow A LOT!! Where are all the NASCAR fans? Anywho, looks like Cousin Carl is headed to JGR

Vehicles
      Sportage
      08-16-2011 08:12 PM #1338
      yeah, not too many folks discussing. however, over in OT there was quite a scuffle regarding nascar drivers not being athletes. while many 'texters don't care for nascar, most supported it was athletic. that warmed my heart. lol.

this year is kinda meh for me. the chase is where it really counts, so why bother watching the season? that's the view of the general populace, i think.

it's kind of a bummer, because harvick is sitting in the top 10, likely in the chase. following the #48 model, in hopes of turning up the wick for the chase. it sucked they lost out last year after leading the points most of the season.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      09-19-2011 01:21 AM #1339
      Earnhardt JR made the chase.
      That will make the chase more popular for all the JR fans (which are a majority of NASCAR fans).
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      2-'91 GTI's, '92 Jetta, '00 Audi TT and more
      11-18-2011 02:46 PM #1340
      Tony Stewart FTW!!!! Lets see that Mobil 1, Office Depot, Chevy win the biggest race of the season. And bring home the cup like he should have last year!!

Vehicles
      Sportage
      11-18-2011 04:00 PM #1341
      Quote Originally Posted by haze from hell View Post
      Tony Stewart FTW!!!! Lets see that Mobil 1, Office Depot, Chevy win the biggest race of the season. And bring home the cup like he should have last year!!
      While it'd be nice for both to race for the championship, I'm secretly (not so much now) hoping for a rekindling of the BK vs. Cousin Carl feud. If that happened, I think Jack would kamikaze his plane into Penske's shop.

Vehicles
      Sportage
      11-21-2011 02:07 PM #1342

Great championship battle.

Vehicles
      2-'91 GTI's, '92 Jetta, '00 Audi TT and more
      11-22-2011 01:59 PM #1343

Great championship battle.
      Heck ya it was!! Now thats how you win a championship. I am soo proud of the whole team but loved watching Tony race up there and get his win.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      02-17-2012 07:25 PM #1344
      thoughts and prayers to Chris Myers and his family:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...led/53137330/1

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      02-19-2012 02:16 PM #1345
      the Shootout was AMAZING

the PACK is back! what a finish.....

02-21-2012 03:08 PM #1346
      My predictions for the 500 and the season:

Kurt Busch will win the 500, or a bottom B or C ranked driver.....someone sitting in the back of the pack will win the 500....as the 500 will be a **** show and many of the top drivers will wreck.

Kahne and Allmendinger will bounce back this year and at least one of them will make the chase, if not both.

Tony, Gordon, Kyle Busch, Johnson, and Kenseth will be fighting for the championship.

Hamlin will have another down year....McMurray will continue to be mediocre overall, and Logano will continue to be irrelevant.

Vehicles
      Sportage
      02-21-2012 04:39 PM #1347
      500 winner: Kyle Busch, Stewart, Hamlin, or Johnson
      500 Dark Horse: Keselowski
      Chase drivers: Ky. Busch, Gordon, Earnhardt, Kahne, Edwards, Johnson, Stewart, Hamlin, Harvick, Keselowski in by points
      Last 2: Biffle, Newman, and Kenseth vie for the last two spots

Vickers is forgotton, since he's "waiting for that quality ride," and joins Ward Burton on the new TLC reality show: 2 Drivers sitting with their thumbs up their asses.

Inconsistent winning drivers: Kurt Busch, Logano, Kenseth, Burton, Ambrose,

Thanks for coming out drivers: Boyer, Reutimann, Blaney, Montoya, Menard, McMurray, Stenhouse, Smith, Aric whats-his-name.

The "Finally!!!" drivers: Kahne, Earnhardt, Allmendinger

Vehicles
      Sportage
      02-28-2012 12:06 PM #1348
      How many Columbians does it take to stop the Daytona 500?

Just Juan!

19. 03-01-2012 11:56 AM #1349
      What's up guys, I'm back!! I used to be in this thread a lot a few years ago, had some personal stuff go on and really didn't get on the tex for a couple years. I still have been following the racing and am glad to get back to this nice little corner the tex for us race fans.

Vehicles
      2003 Gti, 2001 Wolfsburg
      03-01-2012 09:19 PM #1350
      Quote Originally Posted by b2m_vw View Post
      glad to get back to this nice little corner the tex for us race fans.

Anyone going to any races this season or just watching on TV??
      The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #268 "Like 6 cylinder of 15 degree sex"

(_fishbowl society_)

21. 03-02-2012 03:15 PM #1351
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6VDub172 View Post

Anyone going to any races this season or just watching on TV??
      Probably just watch for me, maybe the 2nd race in PHX (closest track to me) later this year though.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      03-05-2012 08:00 PM #1352
      I will be covering all of the west coast races for my site -

got back from PIR late last night....

great weekend... check out www.queers4gears.com for pics/interviews....

and stay tuned this weekend for Vegas....

Vehicles
      03-11-2012 02:20 PM #1353
      Had a chance to go to Vegas this weekend and watch but couldn't due to prior obligations oh well. Should be a fun race Btw, Kennseth is only 40? For whatever reason, I thought he had a teenage kid who's old enough to drive.
      Last edited by gonzo08452; 03-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Vehicles
      Sportage
      03-12-2012 02:30 PM #1354
      Had a chance to go to Vegas this weekend and watch but couldn't due to prior obligations oh well. Should be a fun race Btw, Kennseth is only 40? For whatever reason, I thought he had a teenage kid who's old enough to drive.
      He does- Ross Kenseth, who's 15, I think? Lucky enough to have his dad support his racing and go run the Snowball Derby and all the tradtional big races- Slinger, Winchester, etc.

Vehicles
      Sportage
      03-19-2012 12:11 PM #1355
      ok, so after bristol... going to jump on the hater bandwagon...

MWR is going to get reamed by NASCAR when they discover them cheating. While it was "smart" not to win, running 3-4-5 is almost as idiotic. MWR has a history of cheating (just like Knaus), so it's going to get ugly. It would be okay if every other Toyota was fast, but they weren't.

If they don't back up their results from bristol, ok, i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. if they do run strong and all finish in the top 5 or so, then it's on like donky kong- give me a wrench. there is no way for *that* team to run *that* strong. Boyer, sure, can run consistent - but not top-5 consistent. Truex is still hit & miss, and Vickers... well... daddy's money can buy a lot of things.

The only time i've seen team cars run 1-2-3 (at least all in a row) was HMS cars at Daytona... which in racing, you throw out Daytona and Talledega as indicators because it's so squatchy there.

Much like the Gibbs cars and the notorious magnet trick, MWR has something, and it's going to get found out.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      03-19-2012 06:12 PM #1356
      ok, so after bristol... going to jump on the hater bandwagon...

MWR is going to get reamed by NASCAR when they discover them cheating. While it was "smart" not to win, running 3-4-5 is almost as idiotic. MWR has a history of cheating (just like Knaus), so it's going to get ugly. It would be okay if every other Toyota was fast, but they weren't.

If they don't back up their results from bristol, ok, i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. if they do run strong and all finish in the top 5 or so, then it's on like donky kong- give me a wrench. there is no way for *that* team to run *that* strong. Boyer, sure, can run consistent - but not top-5 consistent. Truex is still hit & miss, and Vickers... well... daddy's money can buy a lot of things.

The only time i've seen team cars run 1-2-3 (at least all in a row) was HMS cars at Daytona... which in racing, you throw out Daytona and Talledega as indicators because it's so squatchy there.

Much like the Gibbs cars and the notorious magnet trick, MWR has something, and it's going to get found out.
      nonsense - there are more factual reasons for the MWR good run

MWR finally has an incredible Comp Director in Scott Miller and they have a great stable of new drivers, new crew chiefs and so-on. They are now sharing TRD resouces with JGR and Lee White at TRD dumped a ton of engineering assitance in their laps.

thems the facts...

Vehicles
      Sportage
      03-19-2012 07:19 PM #1357
      Quote Originally Posted by buddahvw View Post
      nonsense - there are more factual reasons for the MWR good run

MWR finally has an incredible Comp Director in Scott Miller and they have a great stable of new drivers, new crew chiefs and so-on. They are now sharing TRD resouces with JGR and Lee White at TRD dumped a ton of engineering assitance in their laps.

thems the facts...
      While most of my post was tongue in cheek, it would be amazing for them to turn it around. But overall, MWR isn't a top-tier team, and to run that good at Bristol... it's just too good to be true.

They have to back it up next week. But seeing how California is a whole different beast, Texas, Kansas, and Richmond will be the true test on the team's performance.

Truex is a decent driver, definitely not underrated, he may never be as dominant as he was in the Nationwide series. Boyer is very similar to Burton. He'll win occassionaly, but will never be a dominant driver on a consistent basis. Vickers. Well, I just can't stand the guy, and he's about on level with Paul Menard.

On the other side of the wall you have some new chiefs, but Pattie is a journeyman and will get the car in the show. Childers is too new to tell how successful, with being stuck with Reutimann. Johnston with Truex looks to be solid, they've performed decent so far.

Vehicles
      Sportage
      03-20-2012 04:50 PM #1358
      Someone just got a brand new Chevy, courtesy of HendrickCars.com.

How can all points penalties (which is the real penalty) and suspensions be recinded, but the fine still in place?

It's called using NASCAR's soap.

Vehicles
      Mr2 and 951
      04-14-2012 11:16 PM #1359
      Biffle wins

woot woot
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Something has gone horribly, horribly wrong when cockerpunk is representing the voice of reason. Holy ****.

30. Banned
      Vehicles
      no dubs :(
      04-15-2012 11:10 PM #1360
      jr in 2nd overall i was shocked to see him that high, though i'm still angry that he got screwed in that earlier race this year. i think it was the race that got called off, he was in position to win that shizzz!!!!

Vehicles
      2010 VW Golf TDI
      04-17-2012 01:39 PM #1361
      press release:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (April 17, 2012) – Top Gear, the world’s biggest car show, sends host Richard Hammond to Texas, fully immersing the native-Brit in the world of NASCAR.

During his visit to Texas Motor Speedway, Hammond explores the history of NASCAR and discovers how the sport evolved into the spectacle that it is today. He also discusses American motorsport culture and learns what it’s like to be behind the wheel of a machine running 800-850 horsepower from those who know best, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series stars Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon and Juan Pablo Montoya. Hammond even gets a driving lesson from Kyle Petty, former NASCAR driver and son of NASCAR legend Richard Petty.

NASCAR fans and petrol-heads alike can catch all the action from race weekend when this episode of Top Gear premieres on BBC AMERICA Monday, April 30 at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT.

“I’m not alone in believing in the supremacy of NASCAR,” said Richard Hammond. “It’s currently the most popular spectator sport in America and there are many reasons why it hits the spot with the fans.”

Prior to the Top Gear episode’s premiere, in an exciting event for both NASCAR and BBC AMERICA, five-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion, Jimmie Johnson, will join Top Gear host, Richard Hammond, for a teleconference on Tuesday, April 24 at 2:30 p.m. ET to discuss their shared experiences at Texas Motor Speedway and the upcoming episode of Top Gear

32. Banned
      Vehicles
      no dubs :(
      04-17-2012 02:39 PM #1362
      how could euros not like nascar? the cars are low, fast, wide, and the drivers are prickly.

Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      05-30-2012 09:21 AM #1363
      I have always wanted to go to a Nascar Cup race, never had the chance until now.

I am looking at going to the Pocono 400 on June 10th.

Is there any advice anyone can provide me with as a newbie? Any particular area of the track to sit at, and any to stay away from? Is there a specific type of ticket I should buy? Also how difficult is it to perhaps take pictures with the cars and maybe even meet a driver or two? Or will I need specific tickets to do this?

Thanks!
      '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '04 Accord V6 EX Coupe 5AT

Vehicles
      Sportage
      05-30-2012 01:59 PM #1364
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      I have always wanted to go to a Nascar Cup race, never had the chance until now.

I am looking at going to the Pocono 400 on June 10th.

Is there any advice anyone can provide me with as a newbie? Any particular area of the track to sit at, and any to stay away from? Is there a specific type of ticket I should buy? Also how difficult is it to perhaps take pictures with the cars and maybe even meet a driver or two? Or will I need specific tickets to do this?

Thanks!
      for pocono, you want to get an infield ticket and camp there for the weekend. the best place for autographs will be in the garage area, preferably between the garage and motorhome paths.

imo, best area for pocono pics is turn 2. it's the most difficult turn at the track, and most accidents happen between turn 2 and turn 3. Gordon smacking the wall, Sadler wrecking in the short chute, Park riding the guardrail.

the best time for finding drivers is the day before the race around qualifying. don't even bother pre-race, there are a lot of people trying to do just that. I have a "close-up" picture of Dale Earnhardt at Phoenix only because my 6' 3" brother in law stuck his arm up with the camera. He's still about 8' away, surrounded by people.

Vehicles
      Sportage
      05-30-2012 02:01 PM #1365
      Quote Originally Posted by Righteous Bucks View Post
      how could euros not like nascar? the cars are low, fast, wide, and the drivers are prickly.
      up until now, because carbs. and left-turn only (rc exception). nevermind the difficulty of every open wheel racer to be a success in nascar for the past 25 years.

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast