Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657 LastLast
    Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1418

Thread: NASCAR Race Talk

1. 03-02-2012 03:15 PM #1351
      Quote Originally Posted by VR6VDub172 View Post

Anyone going to any races this season or just watching on TV??
      Probably just watch for me, maybe the 2nd race in PHX (closest track to me) later this year though.

Vehicles
      2015 Porsche Boxster, 2010 VW Golf TDI
      03-05-2012 08:00 PM #1352
      I will be covering all of the west coast races for my site -

got back from PIR late last night....

great weekend... check out www.queers4gears.com for pics/interviews....

and stay tuned this weekend for Vegas....

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325 / 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / to be determined
      03-11-2012 02:20 PM #1353
      Had a chance to go to Vegas this weekend and watch but couldn't due to prior obligations oh well. Should be a fun race Btw, Kennseth is only 40? For whatever reason, I thought he had a teenage kid who's old enough to drive.
      Last edited by gonzo08452; 03-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      DD: Mazda3 O: Explorer | Uncertified Preowned: Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      03-12-2012 02:30 PM #1354
      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      Had a chance to go to Vegas this weekend and watch but couldn't due to prior obligations oh well. Should be a fun race Btw, Kennseth is only 40? For whatever reason, I thought he had a teenage kid who's old enough to drive.
      He does- Ross Kenseth, who's 15, I think? Lucky enough to have his dad support his racing and go run the Snowball Derby and all the tradtional big races- Slinger, Winchester, etc.
      Professional Thread Derailer
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// blog //// instagram ////

5. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2012 12:11 PM #1355
      ok, so after bristol... going to jump on the hater bandwagon...

MWR is going to get reamed by NASCAR when they discover them cheating. While it was "smart" not to win, running 3-4-5 is almost as idiotic. MWR has a history of cheating (just like Knaus), so it's going to get ugly. It would be okay if every other Toyota was fast, but they weren't.

If they don't back up their results from bristol, ok, i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. if they do run strong and all finish in the top 5 or so, then it's on like donky kong- give me a wrench. there is no way for *that* team to run *that* strong. Boyer, sure, can run consistent - but not top-5 consistent. Truex is still hit & miss, and Vickers... well... daddy's money can buy a lot of things.

The only time i've seen team cars run 1-2-3 (at least all in a row) was HMS cars at Daytona... which in racing, you throw out Daytona and Talledega as indicators because it's so squatchy there.

Much like the Gibbs cars and the notorious magnet trick, MWR has something, and it's going to get found out.
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.

Vehicles
      03-19-2012 06:12 PM #1356
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      ok, so after bristol... going to jump on the hater bandwagon...

MWR is going to get reamed by NASCAR when they discover them cheating. While it was "smart" not to win, running 3-4-5 is almost as idiotic. MWR has a history of cheating (just like Knaus), so it's going to get ugly. It would be okay if every other Toyota was fast, but they weren't.

If they don't back up their results from bristol, ok, i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. if they do run strong and all finish in the top 5 or so, then it's on like donky kong- give me a wrench. there is no way for *that* team to run *that* strong. Boyer, sure, can run consistent - but not top-5 consistent. Truex is still hit & miss, and Vickers... well... daddy's money can buy a lot of things.

The only time i've seen team cars run 1-2-3 (at least all in a row) was HMS cars at Daytona... which in racing, you throw out Daytona and Talledega as indicators because it's so squatchy there.

Much like the Gibbs cars and the notorious magnet trick, MWR has something, and it's going to get found out.
      nonsense - there are more factual reasons for the MWR good run

MWR finally has an incredible Comp Director in Scott Miller and they have a great stable of new drivers, new crew chiefs and so-on. They are now sharing TRD resouces with JGR and Lee White at TRD dumped a ton of engineering assitance in their laps.

thems the facts...

7. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2012 07:19 PM #1357
      Quote Originally Posted by buddahvw View Post
      nonsense - there are more factual reasons for the MWR good run

MWR finally has an incredible Comp Director in Scott Miller and they have a great stable of new drivers, new crew chiefs and so-on. They are now sharing TRD resouces with JGR and Lee White at TRD dumped a ton of engineering assitance in their laps.

thems the facts...
      While most of my post was tongue in cheek, it would be amazing for them to turn it around. But overall, MWR isn't a top-tier team, and to run that good at Bristol... it's just too good to be true.

They have to back it up next week. But seeing how California is a whole different beast, Texas, Kansas, and Richmond will be the true test on the team's performance.

Truex is a decent driver, definitely not underrated, he may never be as dominant as he was in the Nationwide series. Boyer is very similar to Burton. He'll win occassionaly, but will never be a dominant driver on a consistent basis. Vickers. Well, I just can't stand the guy, and he's about on level with Paul Menard.

On the other side of the wall you have some new chiefs, but Pattie is a journeyman and will get the car in the show. Childers is too new to tell how successful, with being stuck with Reutimann. Johnston with Truex looks to be solid, they've performed decent so far.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      03-20-2012 04:50 PM #1358
      Someone just got a brand new Chevy, courtesy of HendrickCars.com.

How can all points penalties (which is the real penalty) and suspensions be recinded, but the fine still in place?

It's called using NASCAR's soap.

Vehicles
      Mr2, 951, NA6
      04-14-2012 11:16 PM #1359
      Biffle wins

woot woot
      Quote Originally Posted by kwik!gti
      Cockerpunk: 1
      TCL Hive mind troll brigade: 0

10. Banned
      Vehicles
      no dubs :(
      04-15-2012 11:10 PM #1360
      jr in 2nd overall i was shocked to see him that high, though i'm still angry that he got screwed in that earlier race this year. i think it was the race that got called off, he was in position to win that shizzz!!!!

Vehicles
      04-17-2012 01:39 PM #1361
      press release:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (April 17, 2012) – Top Gear, the world’s biggest car show, sends host Richard Hammond to Texas, fully immersing the native-Brit in the world of NASCAR.

During his visit to Texas Motor Speedway, Hammond explores the history of NASCAR and discovers how the sport evolved into the spectacle that it is today. He also discusses American motorsport culture and learns what it’s like to be behind the wheel of a machine running 800-850 horsepower from those who know best, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series stars Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon and Juan Pablo Montoya. Hammond even gets a driving lesson from Kyle Petty, former NASCAR driver and son of NASCAR legend Richard Petty.

NASCAR fans and petrol-heads alike can catch all the action from race weekend when this episode of Top Gear premieres on BBC AMERICA Monday, April 30 at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT.

“I’m not alone in believing in the supremacy of NASCAR,” said Richard Hammond. “It’s currently the most popular spectator sport in America and there are many reasons why it hits the spot with the fans.”

Prior to the Top Gear episode’s premiere, in an exciting event for both NASCAR and BBC AMERICA, five-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion, Jimmie Johnson, will join Top Gear host, Richard Hammond, for a teleconference on Tuesday, April 24 at 2:30 p.m. ET to discuss their shared experiences at Texas Motor Speedway and the upcoming episode of Top Gear

12. Banned
      Vehicles
      04-17-2012 02:39 PM #1362
      how could euros not like nascar? the cars are low, fast, wide, and the drivers are prickly.

Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      05-30-2012 09:21 AM #1363
      I have always wanted to go to a Nascar Cup race, never had the chance until now.

I am looking at going to the Pocono 400 on June 10th.

Is there any advice anyone can provide me with as a newbie? Any particular area of the track to sit at, and any to stay away from? Is there a specific type of ticket I should buy? Also how difficult is it to perhaps take pictures with the cars and maybe even meet a driver or two? Or will I need specific tickets to do this?

Thanks!
      '99 Camaro SS 6MT | '04 Accord V6 EX Coupe 5AT

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05-30-2012 01:59 PM #1364
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      I have always wanted to go to a Nascar Cup race, never had the chance until now.

I am looking at going to the Pocono 400 on June 10th.

Is there any advice anyone can provide me with as a newbie? Any particular area of the track to sit at, and any to stay away from? Is there a specific type of ticket I should buy? Also how difficult is it to perhaps take pictures with the cars and maybe even meet a driver or two? Or will I need specific tickets to do this?

Thanks!
      for pocono, you want to get an infield ticket and camp there for the weekend. the best place for autographs will be in the garage area, preferably between the garage and motorhome paths.

imo, best area for pocono pics is turn 2. it's the most difficult turn at the track, and most accidents happen between turn 2 and turn 3. Gordon smacking the wall, Sadler wrecking in the short chute, Park riding the guardrail.

the best time for finding drivers is the day before the race around qualifying. don't even bother pre-race, there are a lot of people trying to do just that. I have a "close-up" picture of Dale Earnhardt at Phoenix only because my 6' 3" brother in law stuck his arm up with the camera. He's still about 8' away, surrounded by people.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      05-30-2012 02:01 PM #1365
      Quote Originally Posted by Righteous Bucks View Post
      how could euros not like nascar? the cars are low, fast, wide, and the drivers are prickly.
      up until now, because carbs. and left-turn only (rc exception). nevermind the difficulty of every open wheel racer to be a success in nascar for the past 25 years.

Vehicles
      06-26-2012 04:06 PM #1366
      OK...Anyone know where Kenseth is going?

Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      06-26-2012 04:14 PM #1367
      OK...Anyone know where Kenseth is going?
      Is it official that he is leaving?

Rumor right now is to Joe Gibbs or Penske.

Also there is a rumor that I would like to believe - that Kurt Busch is going to Stewart-HAAS and Newman will be gone. I hope this is true... as much as Busch is a dirtbag, he has more skill than 80% of the field.

18. Banned
      Vehicles
      06-26-2012 05:37 PM #1368
      why not hendricks?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      06-26-2012 07:20 PM #1369
      Quote Originally Posted by Righteous Bucks View Post
      why not hendricks?
      Because NASCAR mandated 4-car teams. Gordon's not going to retire.

Kenseth not only is leaving RFR, but Ford; the PR mentions Ford reps saying "bye, Matt." That leaves RFR, RPM, and Penske out. So the options for him, right now, is Phoenix Racing or Tommy Baldwin Racing. Kurt has a handshake deal, and regardless of this past weekend's performance, Kurt is tearing up a lot of equipment. However, neither driver can pull in a sponsor.

Matt is the catalyst for silly season. The best seats available are: #20 JGR, #39 SHR, #31 RCR, #1 EGR, #42 EGR, #55/#56 MWR. Let's run down the options.

#20- Joey has been on the chopping block this year, even with the win at Pocono. The sh**ty press coverage of "living up to expectations," I mean, they're ALL supposed to win races. Not just one. This is likely the best fit for Matt; it may even pilfer DeWalt back from RFR.

#39- Ryan obviously hasn't had the success his car owner has. I think it's because Tony Gibson is not syncing with the organization. Of course, with the addition of a 3rd team, there will be more information being shared. The problem is, will Danica take too much focus away from her teammates? Danica needs a driving coach to take the pressure off Tony and Ryan. Is Matt a good coach?

#31, #1, #42- All these guys have a huge performance issue. While mostly likeable, just like Matt, they're spotty on the win column (also like Matt). Burton's getting up there in age, and Matt would probably fit best in the #31 out of these three. Matt's consistency may help Harvick, but I think Jimmy Fennig has a lot to do with Matt's position right now.

#56/55- Only if Michael steps away from the seat once and for all, and if Mark hangs it up. Or maybe they can find a sponsor for Mark, MWR can field a #57 part time. The major uptick in MWR performance is attractive, but is it sustainable? Truex still puts together good runs, but some wins would obviously keep him in the seat. But then again, those NAPA-know-how ads would be down-right boring if Matt was in them.

Overall, the best option for Matt is the #20. The second most likely, in my opinion, is the #1 or #31. And this is all predicated by the issue of sponsorship, and no team expanding to 3 or 4 cars.

Vehicles
      06-28-2012 01:36 AM #1370
      Any truth to Andretti forming a Cup team?

Vehicles
      06-28-2012 01:39 AM #1371
      Question folks....if Newman leaves, does that automatically put Danica and Go Daddy on the 39?

22. Member
      Vehicles
      06-28-2012 02:08 PM #1372
      Question folks....if Newman leaves, does that automatically put Danica and Go Daddy on the 39?
      Not likely, as most of the planning is finished, along with the "approved" die-cast, etc. Once everything gets formally announced, Danigear will be available. Plus the #39 has sponsor deals already in place (don't know the duration).

Vehicles
      02-17-2013 05:56 PM #1373
      Wow! What happened to this thread? I cant believe the season is starting!! Lets get this thread going shall we?

Vehicles
      Chevrolet Camaro SS
      02-17-2013 06:32 PM #1374
      Danica Patrick on the pole for the Daytona 500... who woulda thought?

25. Member
      Vehicles
      02-17-2013 07:43 PM #1375
      Quote Originally Posted by kingrukus View Post
      Danica Patrick on the pole for the Daytona 500... who woulda thought?
      Stenhouse, Jr.

booya!

there are only about 4 of us who watch roundy-rounds. after last year's blatant favoritism and inconsistency, nascar will be scrutinized hard this year by the media. Honest media, that is.

And if anyone wants the specifics here:
      1. Gordon & Bower not suspended for a race, just fined and probation. NASCAR has parked Harvick and Busch for non-Cup actions.
      2. BK gets fined at the end of the season for a cell phone, even though it's been in every race since Daytona.

Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657 LastLast