Part 2: Exterior
Backstory: Bought the car June 2006 in BC. Drove it to Edmonton where I used if for the summer then drove it across canada to Newfoundland.
Cross-Canada GTI documeneted here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2671279
My 1984 VW Rabbit GTI turned 25 this month, February 2009.
While the car is in ok shape I wanted to take the time to bring it to its original beauty.
The Car September 2008:
I want to take the time to learn the car and do the work mostly myself. Starting easy with the interior and moving on to the engine later.
Got the warrenty book and I was interested in some of the cars history:
560 - Steel sunroof with wind deflector
573 - Air conditioning
963 - Engine Pre-Heater
968 - Front and rear floor mats
So Im assuming it was built in Feb. 1984. Then I guess it was initially inspected at the dealer soon after it arrived around May 14th, 1984. Then it was sold on the 31st. The car looks like most of the maintenance was taken care of at the dealer, although there are some intervals not stamped, up until 1990 which is where the stamps end, exactly 5 years and 10 months after the first one.
Part 1: Interior Removal
Didn't take pics before I started so I will use some interior shots from a few summers ago.
Day 1/2: February 24/25
Started with the seats:
Then got to removing the rear suff:
Only spot of rust so far.
There was some major leaking from somewhere coupled with an antifreeze spill. The spare tire well had about 2" of ice and the carpets are pretty well soaked:
Trying to get most of it up with the shop vac:
Door cards came off:
Headliner was already out, going to re do that with some similar blue material;
Moved on to the dash, just got to take the cluster out:
Now for the worst part, the carpet. Heat gun and patience help:
Got a whole lot of parts and not a lot of free space in the garage so the roof will do. Green tape makes keeping hardware together easy:
As it sits now:
Day 3: February 26
Getting back at the carpet:
Should be fun to clean this mess:
Carpet is out, the snow and time of day makes this pic look funny lol:
Lots of crap coming out:
Now trying to get this coating off the floor:
How I left it today:
Now onto these floors we have been talking about:
They are bent up pretty serious and Im not liking it. Maybe I will try a hammer and wood and see how good I can get it, but based on how that support is bent up they prolly wont be as strong as replacing them. But they are rust free.
Day 4: March 2
Not much going on today, I did get the cluster out though, it was a bit of a pain reaching the speedo cable.
Then started at the coating on the floor again.
Rear passenger side done:
Lots of glue in the top corners of the front pans but some heat does the trick.
Drivers side before:
Tunnel ahead of the shifter:
And the headliner cardboard that will eventually be covered in some factory looking blue material.
Day 5: March 04
Not a whole lot going on today. But I did spend some time in the back of the car taking up the coating on the floor.
Started where I left off:
What I do is take the heat gun and heat a section for a while, paying attention to the edges. Once I got it pretty warm I use a homemade metal scraping tool and start at the edge and start scraping while keeping the heat gun on the section just ahead of the scraper. On this flat, easy-to-get-to panel its not too bad of a job. I generally focus on a small area at a time, between two of the long indented sections as those sections come up nice and easy.
Getting further, you can see the indents where i stop:
And the section is all done:
I think Im going to try and get an exact copy of this sticker and put it back in the same location, to make everything as original as possible.
Day 6: March 5
Today is just more of the same.
One other small spot of rust:
On to the coating in the spare tire well:
This isnt fun but buts coming up:
Guess I will have to glue these back down somehow:
That looks cleaner:
Now gotta take this off:
With a bit of heat it came off easily:
Going back to the front now:
and drivers side:
Uncomfortable place to work:
But that looks better:
Drivers side done:
Now just got these two spots left to do:
And magically they are done:
And how I left it.
And a box full of crap:
Day 7 March 09
Another slow day today. I took a quick shot at the glue but it was such a pain I gave up really easily.
First I took the time to weigh the crap that came out of the car:
25 lbs! And thats not everything that came out:
Taking out some wiring:
Took the tape off these holes and started cleaning off the glue:
Thats it for today.
Day 8: Mar 11
Trying to get some glue up, man this job sucks:
Removed the top door trim pieces:
Brief summary of plans are:
-repair anything I need to
-Front sections of floor are damaged so I may replace them (pics to come)
-Clean and paint with black POR-15
-Locate and replace all missing blue interior pieces (good luck)
-Clean and paint any parts needing it
Thanks for looking.
Modified by JettaGL95 at 8:47 PM 9-10-2009