1) The car had a phone button on the steering wheel, but no mention of Bluetooth option on the sticker. Is it just a dead button without a Bluetooth option or is there some setup involved to making it do something? I didn't expect it to dial my phone or anything but a display or a chime or something. And since I'm on the east coast, does that mean Volk-L is out of the question?
- Bluetooth is an option but if no bluetooth is fitted on the car it can be had as an dealer installed accessory. Volk-L can be had in all 50 states
2) Assuming plain Bluetooth option, what features can I expect? Voice dialing? Caller display? Audio streaming? Or just the ability to talk handsfree?
Volk-L will do hands free calling as well as bluetooth streaming. check http://govolkl.com/what_is.htm for a list of features, capabilities and compatible phones.
3) Is iPod integration an accessory? Audio streaming over bluetooth, I understand, is very rudimentary ... no control over playlists, track info display, or anything like that. So I'd still like the ability to have a more full-featured iPod integration. Is that an option and, in general, how will that user experience be with music playing and a call comes in? Will the iPod integration and bluetooth play nicely?
Full ipod integration like you describe cab only be had with the RNS-510 Nav. You can still get a Ipod cable installed by the dealer that will allow you to change the tracks via the radio or steering wheels buttons and switch playlist but thats it. if you use Volk-L and you get a call the radio is muted regardless of mode so you can answer the call. (volkL uses the same speakers as the radio)
4) Any .pdf copy of the manual available online? I haven't been able to find one.
NO there isnt one
5) Should I be worried about the parking brake button? Of everything in the car, that made me a little nervous as far as maintenance. Especially since the fallback is relying on the tranny/clutch to hold the car on hills if it does go out.
I have yet to see one go bad and we have been using the same system on the Passat since 2006