yesterday I bought this for the 78
# 10416 resonator
to make the drive to Cincy a lot quieter
bought some more transaxle parts... very close to having all i need, and i have a few accidental duplicates. next step is detailed inventory, then acquiring a bench press, and making some press sleeves.
its moving along, but the pace is veeeeery slow
I fixed up the headlight wiring, so now they work correctly and have relays.
And then I cleaned the interior out for the first time ever. Lots of random parts, supplies, safety glasses, sweet 80s aviator glasses, etc. Even a credit card slip dated 1988 from the previous owner. And a raffle ticket from 1994.
What kind of shape is that 9A box in, friend? (Please, be honest here. My current plan is to get a slightly-broken box from Randall, and drop that off with Brian (Broke) on the way home (unless he comes to Cincy, in which case he takes it home for rebuild.)
And, is it MkI compatible? Some are, some aren't...
See here: http://www.brokevw.com/020mount.html
I FINALLY wired in the ISV. Makes cold starts a lot easier.
I though the tough starts were because I didnt finish that section of the install.
Right. The software was trying to run the ISV, but it never responded... Due to NOT being wired in.
Yesterday I noticed the CPU fan was facing the wrong way, so out the computer came, 2 screws and it would cool the CPU. Not bad.
But, a wire/ground touched the PCI video card and blew it out....
I just ordered a new PCB (since PCI is rare). Dual Atom @2.13ghz, 4 GB ram and onboard dual video......
The rest I'll leave up to your imagineation..... Flux Capasitor next....
If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.
Today, I decided to upgrade from the 65a alternator to the 90a alternator. I figured I'd try my hand using a junkyard alternator off a Cabrio, since I didn't have one already. I used my alternator's VR because it is fairly new and still has good brushes. Made my own 4-gauge power B+ cable, and also replaced the signal wire while I was at it, since it was looking pretty shabby with cracked/broken insulation in some areas. Also had to modify the pulley setup using a shim in order to get the correct length for the belt.
Aaaand, the alternator I chose is apparently defective. I've checked all the wiring I made and it is good. Absolutely no voltage loss from alternator to the battery (+) so I know that is good. I think the junkyard unit itself is bad, so tomorrow I will get another one and try it out.
*Yesterday afternoon I removed and replaced my timing belt, crank seal, cam seal, intermediate shaft seals, passenger side engine mount, valve cover gasket (upgraded to the rubber gasket with studs). I got it almost all back together last night except I decided I should replace the V-belts.
*Today I went to the parts store and got my new V-belts, installed those, adjusted timing, rotated tires, and took for a test drive of about 80 miles this afternoon. So far so good!
arranged purchase of a used shop press... one more step on the long road to a rebuilt 020.
...step number next: make press sleeves for the various bearings, sleeves, and races. sure you can probably buy them, but they're silly expensive and hard to find. even using the almighty google
besides, how hard could it be.......
Every time I look at the front of my car I see the dull gray headlamp bezels, and they just don't match anything else. Yuck. So, I figured I'll paint them black. Tonight after I got home I removed the high beam bezels and cleaned them up really well. Too late and windy tonight to paint them but I figure I can do it tomorrow or this weekend.
I have euro lights but need to get/make some adjusters and also need to do the wiring. But this will look good for now anyway.
Washed, detailed, fixed the thump in the trunk (X2 12" in pioneer 400W subs with hephonics amp), and found out why the car wouldn't stop shaking. (passenger side motor mount was put in upsidedown by the previous owner)
1986 Scirocco Mk II, Tech at Stashu's in Orlando, FL.