Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Raleigh Mojave 8.0

03-21-2009 12:55 AM #1
      Was looking at one of these, local bike store has a left over 2008 for sale for like $729. Is that a good price? Looking around I see they can be had a little cheaper but I'm clueless.

I am 5'9" 270 pounds, so I am guessing I would need the 22" frame? I was hoping to find one cheaper so I didn't have to jack up my womans credit card too much lol

2. 03-21-2009 05:00 AM #2
      22" frame sounds too big. I'm 6'3" and ride a 20-21" MTB.

Vehicles
      2012 Chevy Volt, 2010 Legacy Limited,
      03-21-2009 11:07 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by 5_Cent »
      Was looking at one of these, local bike store has a left over 2008 for sale for like $729. Is that a good price? Looking around I see they can be had a little cheaper but I'm clueless.

I am 5'9" 270 pounds, so I am guessing I would need the 22" frame? I was hoping to find one cheaper so I didn't have to jack up my womans credit card too much lol

I'm 5'10" and I ride a 16" frame in mountain bikes. Depends on your inseam and a bunch of other things -- but no way is a 22" going to work.

4. 03-21-2009 11:10 AM #4
      The mojave 8.0 is a great bike, and FreerideJunkie is right you would probably fit just right on the 18"/19", I'm pretty sure they offer it in that size. You also may want to cough up the extra dough to just get it at your LBS as you'll probably need a tune up or an adjustment, and they will usually help you out with that type of stuf if you buy a bike from them. Good luck!

Vehicles
      2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      03-21-2009 09:55 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by FreeRideJunkie »
      22" frame sounds too big. I'm 6'3" and ride a 20-21" MTB.

x2

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SE
      03-23-2009 04:34 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by ZippinVeeDub »

x2

Yeah, I just got a new bike yesterday (first new one since I was about 13...) and I was surprised to find that 22" was way too big for me, and I'm 6'3". I got a 21, I felt the next size down was too small, but 21 was borderline nutcracker for me.

03-26-2009 01:07 AM #7
      So, I come home from school the other day and this is waiting for me! My finacee is the best in the whole wides worlds!!

Its a 18" frame btw

I haven't ridden a bike in 8-10 years, my how they have evolved. This thing is SOOOO LIGHT! And 27 speeds! It's almost impossible to find a gear that does not make the peddling easier! It's sooooooooooo smooth! It rides like a freaking Cadillac! The disc brakes are insane, the front shock is so nice.

I only have 2 minor peeves that may just take some getting used to on my part. One is the grips seem a bit rough on my hands. The other is the seat, while it is more comfortable than others I remember it still hurted my butt after a couple hours of riding the other day. But like I said maybe I just gotta get used to all the aches and pains.

Other than that I love it, I would like a speedo, mileage timer of sorts. And maybe a thing to hold a water bottle. Maybe some gloves would help my hands.

You guys have any recommendations for gloves? Maybe a better seat? Or speedo thingy? Oh, but I really do need a helmet and I hate the regular bike helmets, I was looking at like a MX helmet, I dunno what do you think?

Here's a pic

8. Member
      03-26-2009 10:09 AM #8
      Edit* Forgot to say, nice bike. Congrats!

Edit#2* I can say ass? Really? Thought that was censored. Ass! ass! ass!

Seats are totally a personal choice, everyone's ass is different. Grips too.

I'd suggest, before spending money on a new seat and grips, ride what you have for a while and see if you get used to it. Get some padded cycling shorts and gloves first, and put some ride time in, your ass will toughen up.

After that, go to your local bike shop and ask to try out some seats. Many shops will have demo seats to try before you buy.

For gloves, I personally prefer full fingers with little to no padding on the palm. Something like this: http://www.pricepoint.com/deta...s.htm You could find something similar at your LBS where you can try them on before you buy.

Helmets are a personal thing too, since head shapes vary, but I've always liked the way Giro helmets fit. If you don't like the normal style bike helmet, look for a skate style lid instead, something like this:
      http://www.pricepoint.com/deta...9.htm These will be hotter, and probably less comfortable, but may look better to you. MX helmets (full face) are entirely too hot and heavy for regular trail riding. Again, try them on at your LBS, then buy one there.

Once you get familiar with what you like/don't like, in clothing, parts and accessories, you can venture online to shop. But just starting out, the support you get from a real bike shop is invaluable.

Modified by amish_matt at 6:11 AM 3-26-2009

03-26-2009 12:27 PM #9
      thanks matt!

Yes my lbs is were I got this bike, their glove selection left much to be desired but their service is great and they have everything else it seems. There are a couple around here I will check out their inventory.

Thanks for the info on the accessories, there is alot of stuff out there!

Going riding tomorrow, rained today so might be muddy, sweet!

Oh btw, ASS! lol, guess they lifted the filter on that one by popular demand.

Vehicles
      2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      03-26-2009 08:25 PM #10
      congrats, i had a buddy checking out that same bike. Really nice quality

11. 03-26-2009 10:03 PM #11
      With or without gloves I would highly recommend these grips. http://jensonusa.com/store/pro....aspx They are totally comfy and durable, Ill probably never use another grip on a mountain bike.

Vehicles
      2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      03-26-2009 10:20 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by GHETTO B »
      With or without gloves I would highly recommend these grips. http://jensonusa.com/store/pro....aspx They are totally comfy and durable, Ill probably never use another grip on a mountain bike.

x2 I have the same ones on my giant and love them

Vehicles
      '12 Challenger RT, '11 CX-7 s Touring
      03-26-2009 10:39 PM #13
      Congrats on the new bike. I like Raleigh. I've had one mtb, one fitness, and now a road bike from them.

On the two minor gripes... Make sure you're properly fitted for it. Your ass might be hurting because you're not sitting on it correctly. It might not be just the seat itself.

I like Jenson a lot. Nashbar is also a great site for ordering stuff. I just got a really nice pair of of their gel gloves with large terry panels for $15. I think that's a pretty decent discount compared to what you'd pay at your LBS.

Rest easy, Bart.

03-26-2009 11:24 PM #14
      Thanks all!

I'm really loving this bike. At first when I saw the price I was like but now I see where that money went. My butt isn't so sore any more. I'm getting used to the seat, its still not what I would call totally comfortable but it does the job and I am not sitting on it all the time anyway.

I have to look into those gloves recommend, my hands are getting tore to pieces. But other than that everything is tip top and all my friends are giving me the skinny on the dope places to ride so I have plenty to look forward to!

Also, after the first day I rode it I woke up to a flat front tire so I took it to the bike shop and they were awesome enough to throw in a new tube at no charge and check everything over one more time. Good service these guys have.

Raining alot in NJ so prolly no riding this weekend