Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: oil light beeping and flashing at 2100ish rpm

Vehicles
      Mk2 jetta (stormtrooper), 94 golf vr6 (resurrection in progress)
      03-21-2009 10:31 PM #1
      exactly like i stated in the title, my gf's 97 jetta 2.0 has a strange problem that i haven't experienced since my mk2 days. When she is just cruising along in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear, everytime she is accelerating through 2100-2150 rpm the oil light will flash and beep. If she is just rolling through 2100(not pushing accelerator) or lets off the gas the light will stop, and once the rpm passes 2200 the light goes off. The car just had an oil change, and the oil level is spot on, so i know this is not the issue. anyone have any ideas?
      Quote Originally Posted by Sodomythical Frostgoat View Post
      Go **** yourself. I'm here to destroy everything you love.
      PM me for junkyard requests, the local yard gets lots of mk3s cuz i get lots of mk3 parts from em.

Vehicles
      Stock CW 2dr. GTI
      03-21-2009 10:56 PM #2
      oil leak? mine has a leak from the oil pan gasket and when I start her up the oil light comes on for a sec. and then goes away.

Vehicles
      '95 indian red jetta, '03 baltic jetta variant, '10 shark blue golf tdi, '73 sierra yellow bus
      03-21-2009 11:17 PM #3
      mine was doing that for a while, i always figured it was my car telling me it didnt like to go slow. i learned to ignore it and turn my music up haha. does the actual sensor beep as well or just the light flash? from what i noticed it would do it for about 2 months periodically after changing my oil, maybe just a bad sensor?

4. 03-21-2009 11:27 PM #4
      Um, check your damn oil level?
      Just because you had some random shop change the oil doesn't mean the level is spot on, good chance they shorted you.

Vehicles
      mk5 gti
      03-22-2009 03:00 AM #5
      its your oil high pressure sensor, low pressure is 0 to 2100ish rpms and then the high pressure oil sensor is 2100 rpms and up.

6. 03-22-2009 03:13 AM #6
      I had the same problem on my 1993 Jetta, I replaced both oil pressure sensors, the problem still persisted. But I switched to a thicker oil, one used on diesel engine(15W-40), and the problem never re-appeared.
      But in your case it may only be the two oil pressure sensors they are very easy to replace and fairly cheap to buy.
      It's like changing two spark plugs, they are screwed on to the side of the engine block and they have a wire going into them.

7. 03-22-2009 08:20 AM #7
      Its most likely a problem with the cluster.

You can check what everyone else suggests and also try a thicker oil but its deff a bad cluster. 3 weeks after mine started the tacho broke also....still not been fixed

8. 03-22-2009 09:29 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by vtoskov »
      I had the same problem on my 1993 Jetta, I replaced both oil pressure sensors, the problem still persisted. But I switched to a thicker oil, one used on diesel engine(15W-40), and the problem never re-appeared.

op, do what this guy did. the 2 pressure sensors will cost you 15 dollars or less each. and use a heavier weight oil. if you are using 5w30 try 10w30. or something heavier than that like 15w 40 as suggested. 90 percent of the time, this will fix it.

if you do this and it still goes of, throw a new oil pump in it.

Vehicles
      Mk2 jetta (stormtrooper), 94 golf vr6 (resurrection in progress)
      03-23-2009 11:59 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by anatonic »
      does the actual sensor beep as well or just the light flash?

both

Quote, originally posted by 480 »
      Um, check your damn oil level?
      Just because you had some random shop change the oil doesn't mean the level is spot on, good chance they shorted you.

ive checked multiple times since then, and it was dead on, the shop is reputable

i think it has something to do with oil thickness, because the warmer it is outside, the more the light/buzzer will freak out

i also think it has something to do with the cluster, because i did the heatercore a month and a half ago, and since then the lights inside the cluster do not work. gotta love veedubs.

hopefully it will be like my mk2, and the light/buzzer will stop freaking out around may, and we won't see/hear a problem for the rest of the summer

Modified by oldskoolveedubbin at 12:00 PM 3-23-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Sodomythical Frostgoat View Post
      Go **** yourself. I'm here to destroy everything you love.
      PM me for junkyard requests, the local yard gets lots of mk3s cuz i get lots of mk3 parts from em.

Vehicles
      2 Jettas
      03-23-2009 12:23 PM #10
      what kind of oil filter did they use?

Vehicles
      golfs on junior cupkits with a side of chalet sauce... jetta ecodiesel w/snailtrail
      03-23-2009 12:25 PM #11
      change the sensors and try thicker oil..
      happens again get a new oilpump.
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Harley
      yo, is that a wolf?
      MODS IN THE SIG: MY MODS IS IN THE SIG!

Vehicles
      97 Golf K2, 99 Golf Wolfsberg Edition
      03-23-2009 04:35 PM #12
      Pull the oil pan and check for a clogged oil pump pickup tube. My 91 Jetta has a millimetre (2/16th of an inch) thick layer of hard black sludge coating the inside of the motor from a PO that didn't change the oil regularly. As a result I have to swap pickup tubes every couple years as they clog up...

On a related topic - why is it that so many people tell me the more they abused their VW's the better they ran? I knew a guy that didn't change the oil on purpose just because it seemed like every time he did maintenance on his car things started to break.

13. 03-23-2009 04:39 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by brobs is back »

Vehicles
      97 Golf K2, 99 Golf Wolfsberg Edition
      03-23-2009 04:41 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by brobs is back »

Just gotta way this is a wise suggestion but I have to note that I have yet to see a VW oil pump that needed to be replaced - just clogged oil tub pickups. If in doubt there about the pump just get yourself a set of feeler gauges and measure the inner clearances of the pump. There are clear wear tolerances listed in Bentley. Save yourself the $60!

15. n00b
      Vehicles
      1992 VW Golf GL-ABA swap
      01-24-2014 07:55 PM #15
      Hello all, so im having same issue. Had a mk3 Jetta, ran great... anyways I decided to swap the ABA motor and manual transmission into my Mk 2 golf. Afterwards everything turned out out great! Except the BEEP BEEP BEEP! Now as I said, everything was great before the swap... as soon as I exceed 2100rpm it starts, and doesn't stop until I shut down. Please note I am a VERY experienced technician/mechanic when it comes to my VW's.. that'd being said the weight of oil doesn't really matter between 5w30 and 10w30. Not enough to set off the sensors anyway. Volkswagen manufacturer specifies many weights to use depending on climate. In my case I may have missed something... maybe a bad lead or ground to my high pressure sensor ... if that's not it idk perhaps new sensors are in order since they are inexpensive and simple. If that doesn't do it maybe its the damn mk3 cluster I decided to keep lol. I really don't think its the pump... but definitely something else to look into.

Vehicles
      mk5 2.5 jetta
      01-25-2014 12:32 AM #16
      Oil pressure sensor is ur issue. I believe it's the white one. Should be the one on the side of the head.

Make sure u replace it with the same color sensor. There is another one on the oil filter housing that is blue. The white and the blue one have opposite polarities aka not interchangeable.
      Last edited by MkIII2ohslow; 01-25-2014 at 12:37 AM.