Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project: Wife's Diesel Golf "GTD"

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 2005 New Beetle TDI, 2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, 1976 Kawasaki KZ400
      03-24-2009 10:28 AM #1
      Wrong forum, but I know most of you all and don't know anyone on the A2 forum (nor have I even really read any of it) so I'm doing this here. I also have a thread going on the vwdiesel.net board but have not updated it in a while.

We are finally going into high-gear with this project. My Wife has been without a car for more than a year now, and since she has recently lost her job, she will probably need one soon. We were lucky in that we both lived pretty close to work so it was no problem for me to drop her off, but who knows what will happen with the job market the way it is, so it's time for her to have some wheels!

The goals here were to provide a cheap, fun to drive source of transportation, with ample creature-comforts. Since meeting me, she shares my passion for Diesel VW's, and really likes the notion of biodiesel as well, so a diesel car it is. Her previous car was a 2000 Toyota Celica GT, and she really liked the sporty ride so she wanted something with a similar driving experience. A nice A2 with GTI bits would fit the bill nicely- the Celica was a fun car to drive, it actually felt very Scirocco-ish, but the seating position sucked and the interior was typical Japanese-tupperware. So, here's where we are right now:

The Car: A 1986 Golf naturally-aspirated Diesel. A fairly clean example, found it really cheap from a nice guy (and VW enthusiast) in Columbus, the engine had bad rings and a blown tranny, but they were already pulled from the car.

It's a nice car! Came fully loaded for being a n/a diesel- AC and power steering, yeah! Both big positives for Laura. First order of business was to trade in the Westy grille and headlights for dual-rounds and euro-H4's- Done. (no pics yet)

Then we tore down the engine. Yuck!

Actually not that bad. No visible damage from anywhere, just really greasy. The cylinder head was an aftermarket replacement from Topline.

Found out why after we got into it. Each piston had a valve indentation in it. No biggie. Machine shop cleaned them right up, and they will be ceramic coated anyway.

Pile 'o junk:

Next up, I bead-blasted all of the brackets and external engine parts- and painted some of them.

And, after getting the block cleaned, checked, and honed, painted it too:

The crank was checked, balanced and polished, everything A-ok.

We managed to score locally a nice ACN-code tranny (.75 5th with 3.67 final) which is going to get cleaned up, re-sealed, and possibly a budget-peloquin kit installed.

This is all old news, but now we are going forward with it. We have ordered a bundle of parts from GAP and a local vendor and VW-diesel guru, Myke_W from Athens, OH. (keeping as much business local or as close to home as possible) The head is going to the machine shop soon to be cleaned and slightly ported and have a performance valve grind.

Here's the plan for the engine. I have a used T3 turbo and manifold from a VW TD engine, it's actually a big turbo for what it was used for, I was going to use it on my TDI but now it's getting rebuilt and used here. We have no intercooler yet, probably going with the cheapest one I can find, either stock 1.8T or G60 side-mount style. I'm gonna have to build my own downpipe and possibly exhaust. The pistons are going to have a top-coating applied from a company called Swaintech. It's a thermal-barrier type coating and I think it's good insurance since this block does not have piston oil-squirters. We are using an A2 gasser intake manifold. The injection pump is the factory N/A one that has been rebuild recently, so it has no LDA device for boost enrichment. I've been sketching up a design for a home-made device that should do just about the same thing, sorta based off of the old BAE turbo kit device. We'll have the full assortment of gauges- boost, EGT, and oil temp along with the factory gauges. We are going to toss out the non-tach cluster and replace it with either a GTI cluster or a proper diesel-cluster with tach. If using a GTI cluster we need to build a tach circuit. Other things that we already have coming: GTI wheel flares, GTI seats, GTI tail-lights, small-bumper chin spoiler, we are using the 16v disc brakes from my Scirocco (which is getting a 5-lug conversion) on this car, using the 14" teardrops from my Scirocco on this car. (already have 5-lug wheels for the Scirocco too) So when it's done, it will very closely resemble the Euro-only "GTD" model, which basically was a GTI car with a turbo and intercooled diesel engine.

Should be fun!!!

Brendan (and Laura)

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '02 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, tiptragic to manual swap.
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      81 S Cirrus
      03-24-2009 10:46 AM #2
      Nice project. A well built, well cared for VW Diesel should run forever. It really surprises me when I see them crapped out like this.

Good luck!

Craig

A Scirocco is a toy. If it is all perfect, you don't get to play - Doug T.

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 2005 New Beetle TDI, 2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, 1976 Kawasaki KZ400
      03-24-2009 10:53 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by OorsciroccO »
      Nice project. A well built, well cared for VW Diesel should run forever. It really surprises me when I see them crapped out like this.

Good luck!

Craig

Thanks! Actually I forgot to add why I think a ring let go- I'm sure the valve indentations in the pistons didn't help, but that was probably from a timing belt break. I also noticed in the pistons that there is evidence of an injector leaking, which can cause fuel to dribble down the wall of the cylinder and really screw up a ring. Thankfully the ring lands are all in good shape. There were a lot of miles on this engine- something like 200k+. I'll be using TD injector nozzles and have the breaking pressure set to TD specs.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

03-24-2009 11:39 PM #4
      Hey, a semi-local. You need to come up and check my sh it out.
      CHECK OUT MY 91 CORRADO G60 PART OUT THREAD http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...Northeast-Ohio

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Typ 17 AAZ, '88 Typ 53b 9A
      03-25-2009 01:09 AM #5
      That's awesome!! We too have a Diesel in need of some love, expected after 248k miles, runs like a champ though but leaks oil and diesel all over the place

It does have Scirocco tarantula wheels and a few GLi pieces, including the infamous spoiler.

Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '86 Scirocco PL, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

6. 03-25-2009 03:32 PM #6

Modified by EUROROC at 11:18 PM 4-11-2010

Vehicles
      2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 1993 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 1987 Porsche 944 Turbo
      04-10-2009 10:40 AM #7
      I came across this thread searching for updates on the GTD. This looks awesome and I hope you all the best! (I love build threads!)
      I'm addicted to break fluid. It's ok though, I can stop anytime.

Vehicles
      1995 Honda Civic Si, 2 '77 Toyota Celica liftbacks, '84 Mazda B2000...
      04-10-2009 09:36 PM #8
      why no updates lately???

Vehicles
      04-11-2009 10:48 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Cynical 1 »
      why no updates lately???

I'm slow.

Actually, maybe there will be a few after this weekend. I've worked on a few things, but no pictars. I'll try and get an update sunday or monday.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      04-13-2009 09:59 AM #10
      Moar updates, moar pictars.

Started out on Sunday pushing the girl out in the driveway.

First order of business, modifying the block and head for updated cooling. The later 1.6 TD's and 1.9 TD's had holes drilled in the head and block to allow better coolant circulation, so it's time to get on that! First, the block, all cleaned up:

And the head gasket, see the holes in-between the cylinders? I need those in the block and head too.

Now THAT's a beefy headgasket!!!

Punched the hole location in the block, using the gasket as a template:

Annnnnndd....... Drill! About a half-inch down, you drill into the water jacket.

Repeat 5 more times (with my ancient drill that has this awesome feature of "self-loosening" the chuck so I have to pull out the chuck key and re-tighten it about every 2 minutes!!!) and chamfer the holes and clean it up, and ta-da!

And, had to do the same thing to the head, though it was much easier drilling.

Here's a shot of the "custom hand-dressed pistons". As you can see, they all took a hit from the valves at one time. No biggie. They are getting packed up and sent to Swaintech this week.

This one was the worst, also evidence of an injector leaking.

Next up, block heater! Every diesel needs one of these, especially in Ohio. I'm really surprised this car didn't have one before, since it had just about every other option.

I had to knock out the center freeze plug, it took the biggest punch and the biggest hammer I had to free it.

Yay!

Next up, I bead-blasted a whole mess of parts last weekend, time to paint them.

Manifolds- A2 GTI gasser intake manifold, (not blasted) and TD exhaust manifold. The bead blasting was not quite enough to cut the rust on the exhaust manifold, I'll need to apply another type of treatment.

Yay, painted parts! I used the wrinkle-finish on the valve cover, it was not quite done "curing" yet in this picture so the camera shots look funky.

And the art-shot of the day:

Almost time to put this thing together! It's gonna look good under the hood too!

And a before shot of the engine when we picked it up:

One step at a time.....

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      1980 VW Scirocco S Callaway Turbo
      04-13-2009 10:57 AM #11
      Looking good, Brendan!

I love cleaned and painted goodness.

Vehicles
      04-20-2009 11:03 AM #12
      Updates: None really. Waiting on the pistons to come back from Swaintech. Also hope to have the head completely torn down this week and delivered to the machine shop. I've also asked everybody I know and nobody has an engine stand I can borrow. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy one.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

13. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Swedish Meatbrick
      04-20-2009 07:28 PM #13
      Looking nice!

Will you be replacing the cam and cam gear?

Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L|86 740GLE td
      Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

14. 04-20-2009 09:03 PM #14

Modified by EUROROC at 11:18 PM 4-11-2010

Vehicles
      04-21-2009 09:37 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by Chris16vRocco »
      Looking nice!

Will you be replacing the cam and cam gear?

Not sure why I would, the cam looks new, I assume a new cam came with the head whenever it was replaced. Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the timing gear either.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

16. Senior Member Chris16vRocco's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Swedish Meatbrick
      04-22-2009 12:02 AM #16
      Quote, originally posted by Lord_Verminaard »

Not sure why I would, the cam looks new, I assume a new cam came with the head whenever it was replaced. Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the timing gear either.

Brendan

That's cool.

I was just thinking that if the cam and gear were original, it's possible that it may have been taken apart many many times. And since those don't have a keyway, sometimes they can get worn out and slip very slightly, and bend all the valves. A friend of mine has that problem with his TDI. It took him 2 or 3 times of rebuilding the head to figure it out. He thought maybe he used too thin of a head gasket (since they come in 3 thicknesses), but after going to a thicker gasket it happened again.

Deal with it.
      80 Scirocco|87 Scirocco 16v|74 Land Cruiser|84 230CE|91 164L|86 740GLE td
      Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Vehicles
      04-22-2009 09:30 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by Chris16vRocco »

That's cool.
      I was just thinking that if the cam and gear were original, it's possible that it may have been taken apart many many times. And since those don't have a keyway, sometimes they can get worn out and slip very slightly, and bend all the valves.

That can be a problem. The standard operating procedure for these that the diesel guys seem to be doing is to use a bit of scotch-brite on the cam and gear mating surfaces, clean it with brake cleaner, torque the bolt to 35 ft-lbs, give the bolt a good rap with a hammer, then tighten it again to around 50 ft-lbs. 35 is (I think) what is specified in the Bentley but I'd feel safer with the hammer-50 ft-lb trick.
      But thanks for the heads-up!

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      04-22-2009 09:32 AM #18
      A minor update- we started prepping some parts for more paint, should have a paint-a-thon this weekend. Also, I talked to Swaintech and the pistons should be done next week.

Part of my plan is to get my new welder running this weekend, too.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      04-29-2009 05:47 PM #19
      MUAAHAHAHAHA!

Pistons came back today. Pics to come. They look badass!!!!

My welder is up and running. Ready to fabricate!!!!

Also bought an engine stand. It's almost time to finally slap this thing together!!!!

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      05-04-2009 10:12 AM #20
      Got the crank in. Everything's lovely, all the clearances are within spec. Not bad for 200k+ miles and stock journals. The only thing the machine shop did was polish the journals and re-balance the crank. I re-used the thrust washers on #3 and endplay is dead-on. I love VW engines!

Hit a snag though, I didn't save the piston pin circlips, so I need new ones before I can put the pistons in. Crap!

Powerwashed the engine bay, it's looking much better now. A few areas to wire-brush and touch-up.

I still have pictures to post. I literally have not had the time to upload them.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      TDI Corrado & a Honda Refrig (Pilot)
      05-04-2009 12:30 PM #21
      Lookin good

Vehicles
      05-05-2009 02:56 PM #22
      Yay piktars!!!

Pistons, freshly coated:

Yeah, I still gotta clean some carbon out of the ring lands.

Engine on my new stand:

Crank in place:

Intermediate shaft and front seal:

Me looking way too serious- it was a joy to assemble this engine so far:

Now, the powerwashing. Engine bay before: Gross!!!

After: Yay! I have not even scrubbed anything yet, just washed. Tools of choice were Simple green and a neighbor's powerwasher. I also used some Gunk engine brite but it really didn't do much besides smell everything up (simple green smells much better) and leave a nasty residue all over the driveway.

Woah, the steering rack was blue??

Battery tray rust. No big deal.

That's it! Head is at the machine shop right now, getting a full valve job with new seals, so in the meantime, I'll be cleaning carbon out of the pistons and awaiting those circlips, and possibly cleaning up the bay a little more and prepping those bad areas for a little bit of paint.

Brendan

Modified by Lord_Verminaard at 2:03 PM 5-5-2009

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      1980 VW Scirocco S Callaway Turbo
      05-05-2009 03:02 PM #23
      Pictaks!!!

Vehicles
      05-07-2009 09:48 AM #24
      Snuck home from work a little early yesterday, got cracking on some other things. I wire-brushed out the rusty parts in the engine compartment in preparation for paint. I also spent most of the time beating on a single-round core support to make it fit properly. One thing that bugs the hell out of me on just about every A2 that I see is the grille being zip-tied on. I hate that. Not on this car. I spent the time to "massage" the core support the right way so it all fits. Doing this now before I paint. The result:

Yay, no zip ties! The passenger fender is a little wanged, though all the mounting points are still where they are supposed to be. We already have two straight replacement fenders (in red), but those won't get put on until the whole car gets painted. The core support was used and traded owners about a dozen times so it's been tweaked a few times, but a little time with a hammer and a dolly and it's perfect now.

If it's as slow today at work as it was yesterday, I'll be going home early again to work some more.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      05-20-2009 10:02 AM #25
      Minor "pre-update" update, the piston circlips came, so the bottom-end can be put together. .58 cents each, 9.50 shipping.

Some more goodies came in the mail, and even more on the way. Got a full shift linkage and bushing kit from 4crawler, a nice 3-gauge set from an Audi, and a nifty throttle-body adapter from BBM should be coming soon.

In the meantime, I straightened and painted the lower valence, and painted the top part of the core support too. I prepped and used rust-bullet on the engine bay and battery tray, that should come out really nice. Still have to top-coat it. The turbo manifold is nearly de-rusted, it's been soaking in vinegar and it actually worked!

Probably won't get much done this weekend, helping my brother in law fix his girlfriends car, plus I want to get my Corrado in a somewhat presentable state for Cincy so I'll be giving it more attention in the next few weeks.

TTFN,
      Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      TDI Corrado & a Honda Refrig (Pilot)
      05-20-2009 10:41 AM #26
      sweet!

Vehicles
      06-01-2009 11:37 AM #27
      Minor update, no pictures. Took the ACN tranny to the Porsche shop with me yesterday and scrubbed it in the parts washer for a couple of hours. Bead-blasted a few brackets and the clutch-lever and made it look pretty. Then did a full re-seal on the tranny: flanges, mainshaft w/ bushing and pushrod seal, removed endcap and did the bearing, and inspected 5th gear while I was in there. This tranny didn't have many miles on it, apparently.

One less thing to worry about finishing! It's all about the Corrado this week, then it's Cincy time. So it will be a while before I update again. But the head should be done at the machine shop so the next update will probably be assembly of the engine!

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      06-23-2009 11:02 AM #28
      Well, the engine assembly has started! Last weekend, I finished up the bottom-end and got the pistons installed. Everything dropped right in, and the only issue I had was a rod that was in backwards. That, and those damn piston pin circlips. Those are a royal pain to install. Some pics:

Yay! Also, I've been spending some time at the machine shop after work- mostly cleaning up the head to save me some money. I wasn't happy with the transition area from the intake runners to the valve throat area. Cylinders 2 and 3 especially had very large casting steps on them. Guessing that is because it's an aftermarket head. So before the valve job is going to be done, I ported out those casting steps, and wend ahead and ported the rest of the head too. It just would have bugged me to put it back in the car the way it was after all of this work. The valve job should be done today, and after work I'm going back to set the valve clearance and it should be done! Pics to come. Maybe, just maybe, the engine will be assembled this weekend!!! Getting close now!!!

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco Slegato
      06-23-2009 10:21 PM #29
      Brendan,

Thanks for sharing your project, seems like you really know what you are doing and it's coming along great!

-Dan

It was time.

Vehicles
      06-24-2009 09:32 AM #30
      Quote, originally posted by MrPill »
      Brendan,

Thanks for sharing your project, seems like you really know what you are doing and it's coming along great!

-Dan

Thanks! Though I won't say that I really know what I am doing... but I did stay at a Holiday inn last night!

Anyway- the valve job is finished, everything is cleaned and ready to be re-assembled. Today the cam journals and "bearing" surfaces in the head need to be polished, they were scored up pretty good. The bearing caps on this head are way more flimsy than an OEM VW one, I guess that is what you get with aftermarket. Other than that and the bad port casting flaws, the head seems pretty good and my machine shop guy confirmed that, so that makes me feel better.

Cellphone pics:

Oh hai:

This was after porting, before the valve job.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 88 Fox Wagon (sold), 90 Golf, 83 Q Sedan TD, 88 QSW (soon tdi), 85 Q wgn, 03 A4 Avant
      06-28-2009 01:15 AM #31
      Great to see progress on my old Golf.

Do I get a drive when it's finished?

Vehicles
      06-29-2009 09:32 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by DubbinChris »
      Great to see progress on my old Golf.

Do I get a drive when it's finished?

Hell yeah!

Glad you are watching this. I hope I can make you proud with our plans for it.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 88 Fox Wagon (sold), 90 Golf, 83 Q Sedan TD, 88 QSW (soon tdi), 85 Q wgn, 03 A4 Avant
      06-29-2009 10:39 PM #33
      Ha...don't worry you already are.

I'm very please this Golf is getting some love.

I spend most of my time on my Fox wagon lately. I've been gathering turbo parts for it. Hope to have it running boost before the end of the summer.

You going to waterfest this year by chance?

Edit: What are you doing with that old westy setup?

Modified by DubbinChris at 2:46 AM 7-5-2009

34. 07-05-2009 05:50 PM #34
      subscribed...

Vehicles
      07-06-2009 09:31 AM #35
      Quote, originally posted by DubbinChris »
      Ha...don't worry you already are.

I'm very please this Golf is getting some love.

I spend most of my time on my Fox wagon lately. I've been gathering turbo parts for it. Hope to have it running boost before the end of the summer.

You going to waterfest this year by chance?

Edit: What are you doing with that old westy setup?

Modified by DubbinChris at 2:46 AM 7-5-2009

No Waterfest for me this year. Maybe someday. Just too much money and too much time off of work.

Westy setup is already gone. Traded it for the single-round with Euro H4's. I think I did that like a week after we got the car home.

Hopefully some progress will happen this week. Assuming my back decides to cooperate.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast