Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Project: Wife's Diesel Golf "GTD"

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco Slegato
      10-06-2009 09:03 PM #76
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Glad to see it coming together Brendan!
      -Dan
      It was time.

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 88 Fox Wagon (sold), 90 Golf, 83 Q Sedan TD, 88 QSW (soon tdi), 85 Q wgn, 03 A4 Avant
      10-06-2009 09:49 PM #77
      Great progress man!
      http://www.siliconeintakes.com...bd672
      1/2 way down starts the 90 deg reducing bends.

Or if you need it more locally...this place is in Powell...
      http://www.truechoice.com/prod...0HE90

Vehicles
      89 Jetta 1.6 turbo diesel
      10-08-2009 01:27 PM #78
      i like it a lot man. looks awesome. Proabaly a dumb question but what paint did you use for your valve cover? just regular textured paint? But yea man it looks good.

4. 10-11-2009 07:24 PM #79
      looking good [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 2005 New Beetle TDI, 2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, 1976 Kawasaki KZ400
      10-12-2009 01:42 PM #80
      Downpipe done!
      I didn't get much time to work on the car this weekend, and when I did finally get some time on Sunday, I spent about three hours looking for crap and about 2 hours of actual work, followed by about an hour of fixing my welder. But here it is, this is the first real welding project I have done, having probably a total of about 20 minutes of welding experience under my belt before I started. Only made one real small mistake, (and thankfully, it was about halfway done when I realized it too!) on the first bend I didn't allow enough of the bend in the first cut, so the shifter arm hit the downpipe going in 5th. I cut it and added a small slice, fits perfect after that. I'll let the pics do the talking.

Under the car:

Miles of room!

How's it look?
      Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '02 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, tiptragic to manual swap.
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      92 GTI ABA (sold), 09 Passat 2.0T, 91 535i/5
      10-12-2009 02:02 PM #81
      How's it look?
      GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 88 Fox Wagon (sold), 90 Golf, 83 Q Sedan TD, 88 QSW (soon tdi), 85 Q wgn, 03 A4 Avant
      10-12-2009 03:23 PM #82
      Wow...that thing looks awesome! Great job welding with such litle experience under your belt

Edit: Maybe I missed it somewhere, but are you still going to use that injection pump or are you planning on a something that can fuel things up for the turbo?
      Of course if we all had the $$ floating around we'd get something from Giles...but that's always a big chunk of change.

Another edit: Just curious, what kind of welder are you using? Gas or flux core? Specs on the material you used for the DP?

Modified by DubbinChris at 3:32 PM 10-12-2009

Vehicles
      1981 Scirocco S, 2005 New Beetle TDI, 2002 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, 1976 Kawasaki KZ400
      10-12-2009 04:18 PM #83
      Initially, it's going to be the stock pump. I have a sketch of a boost-enrichment device that I'll try to fabricate that may or may not end up being tested at all. If I happen across a good TD pump for cheap and I have the cash in hand, I'll probably pick that up and modify it a bit.
      I guess I will determine the priority of that depending on how this one runs.
      I'm using a Snap-On YA205 MIG welder, it's about 30 years old, I am using standard C25 gas. The mandrel bends I got from Summit, they are the Summit brand aluminized steel bends in 2.5", they are good quality. (though you need to remove the plating around the weld sections) I borrowed a chain-type exhaust cutter to make the cuts. Works great because they can only cut the pipe squarely so all of your inner diameters are consistent. The flex section also came from Summit. The flange for the turbo came from ATP. I don't have the figures in front of me, but the total cost for the pipe (I got enough for the whole exhaust), bends, clamps, flex section, Thrush muffler, and flange was probably $175. That's a lot of money for me right now but considering how much it would cost to have all of this stuff made, it's a pretty good deal. Especially since I really had no trouble making it so far. The remainder of the exhaust should be pretty easy I'd think.
      Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      10-12-2009 04:58 PM #84
      Good deal. The Summit stuff is decent and in the end you're right about saving a ton of money. Are you going to weld it all up as one piece or are you fabbing in a few flanges so it can be taken apart? Those welds are turning out pretty good for a 30 year old welder.
      Mine was fabbed up like that and turned out pretty decent. I made a little thread. You may have to go to page 2 or something to see it though.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3513557

I'd be interested in seeing what you have sketched out for that boost enrichment.

Vehicles
      10-13-2009 09:05 AM #85
      Heh, flanges. I'll be using "poor-man's flanges", or in other words, those 360* stainless band clamps. I've used them before and they work great, since they don't rust, it's easy enough to zip off two bolts and bam, your exhaust is removed. I'll use one at that flex joint to join the rest of the system, then one more before the muffler somewhere.
      That welder is one of the best I've ever used, (which let's see, is only about three total!) but yeah, the guy at the Porsche shop has one just like it and it's the only one he uses, bought three of them back in the late 70's and still uses it. I have the other two now. I eventually plan on setting up the other one to weld stainless. If this exhaust turns out good, I'm thinking of doing some exhausts on the side for some extra money, I know a lot of local people that would probably have one done, including my neighbor with a mkIV.
      You'll see the boost enrichment soon enough. I'm basically going to try to copy the one that came with the BAE diesel turbo kits.
      Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      10-19-2009 04:46 PM #86
      Any progress or have you just been working on the wifes house?

Vehicles
      Sciroccos C30 SR71
      10-19-2009 08:43 PM #87
      Making good progress here. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      10-20-2009 08:35 AM #88
      Yeah, mostly. I did get the oil cooler plumbed, managed to use the stock Volvo lines and tweaked them to fit. Added oil and pressurized the system and there were not any leaks, so that is good. I would have probably bet money that the turbo drain line would have leaked.
      My welder stopped working last weekend, so I tore it apart and switched everything over to my other welder, and it didn't work either. Started doing some testing, and found that 1 leg of 110V on my 220 outlet was only putting out like 40 volts. Pulled the breaker, cleaned the crud off of the contacts, and now everything works just peachy, and both welders even work now. Nothing like wasting time. Welded one pipe last night after all that, and then it was time to come in and make dinner.
      Hopefully I can finish up the exhaust this week after work, don't think I'll be getting anything done this weekend.
      Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      2011 mustang 5.0.2014 brown/brown TDI t-reg ..Turbo rail
      10-20-2009 11:41 AM #89
      Really Enjoyed reading your build. Couple tips.. I just sold a mk3jetta aba with the same turbo , It would run 10lbs right away with almost no lag and i also had a bitchin downpipe like you..Make sure you upgrade the engine mounts. My beautiful downpipe died in about a month Also are you running a external wastegate ?.
      autocrats...

Vehicles
      10-22-2009 09:36 AM #90
      Exhaust: DONE. Pics coming.
      Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      10-23-2009 02:56 PM #91
      Here they are. Most of the work went pretty smoothly, I had a setback of about a week when my welder stopped working. I switched the gun, motor, cord and tank over to the other welder only to find it doing the same thing. I tore both of them completely apart, cleaned everything and started testing voltages (carefully!!) only to find out that my household 220 was messed up. One leg was normal at 110v, the other was like 40v. The breaker was screwed up. Fixed that and everything was good to go. Annoying though.
      On to the pics. I wanted to take some of the process but I was in such a roll/hurry that I didn't get around to it. I can't wait to hear this thing run.
      Downpipe again, this time cleaned up with a coat of hi-temp paint:

Under the car, first connection point.

The first tight spot, over the rear crossmember and through the tunnel with a hanger:

Looking back toward the front. It's actually tighter here than it looks. I painted the welded spots with hi-temp BBQ paint.

Heading toward the rear axle, and the 2nd connection point.

View from the other side. There is actually more room there than I thought.

Front of muffler and the dual-hanger. I used the ol "flat strap welded to an exhaust hanger" trick for hangers, they worked great. I painted the whole rear assembly, first with high-temp primer, then BBQ black, then silver hi-temp engine enamel and "baked" it on with a torch. Hopefully it holds up! Looks nice anyway.

The muffler. I should have turned it around so the "Thrush" logo was facing down, oh well.

Rear hanger/tailpipe:

Tailpipe, a little off-center of the opening, but not bad. Not any worse than the pre-fabbed exhausts. It was getting late and I didn't test fit after I measured the hanger and bend.

There we go.

I know the car is dirty. We'll fix that before we start driving it anywhere.
      It's almost ready to start up. I need to wire and install the lift-pump, and get a battery, and probably stop at Lowe's Performance Parts () for an intake hose, but we are really close now.
      I'm really excited!!!!!
      Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Vehicles
      92 GTI ABA (sold), 09 Passat 2.0T, 91 535i/5
      10-23-2009 03:49 PM #92
      looks solid! want to come do mine next?
      I can't wait to see what you have in store next [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      10-23-2009 04:03 PM #93
      It looks great man. Yeah its pretty dirty under there. When I had it the motor had so much blow by that the crankcase vent into the intake wasn't enough to relieve all the crankcase pressures so it ended up always pushing oil past the o-rings at the bottom of the dipstick tube. That's why there is so much oil under the car and on that rear panel under the bumper.

Vehicles
      10-23-2009 05:58 PM #94
      That's probably why there is hardly any rust on this car.
      That's the truth too, it's really clean under there. The rust spots you see in the pics are really just stains mostly. The undercarriage will get a bath and a clean-up, and a copious coat of waxoyl before the snow falls.
      That is, if we don't manage to get it painted this year. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

20. 10-28-2009 04:21 PM #95
      hahaha this is my dad's old car. i remember riding in it when i was a kid, then i remember when he bought the car that im driving now and this white golf sitting in the garage for 5 years. thanks for bringing it back to life!

Vehicles
      10-29-2009 02:42 PM #96
      Quote, originally posted by senses3 »
      hahaha this is my dad's old car. i remember riding in it when i was a kid, then i remember when he bought the car that im driving now and this white golf sitting in the garage for 5 years. thanks for bringing it back to life!

Small world now. So you're driving the black TDI now? I was hoping your dad would just keep giving me diesel VW's. Yeah it did sit in the garage for many years before I got ahold of it. It was my daily for over a year before the trans puked. Make sure your dad sees this thread again to see the progress.

22. 10-29-2009 06:14 PM #97
      will do. the black tdi has about 213000 miles on it and it's still going strong.

Vehicles
      11-02-2009 09:08 AM #98
      A few updates, but not much. I was hoping to have the car fired up this weekend, but it didn't happen. Hopefully I'll be able to put some time into it this week in the 40 minutes of daylight I have after work.
      From last week, the lift pump is installed and works:

Wires are run into the passenger compartment but not to the fuse panel yet. I did test it with a battery I had laying around, it pumps fuel! Filled the fuel filter and had fuel coming out the return so it works. No leaks either and it's a nice clean setup. I originally had kept the water separator back here and installed the pump with it, but like an idiot I turned the valve on the water separator to see if it still worked, and the valve broke off instantly and splashed diesel everywhere. I later found out that since most fuel filters have water separators built-in to them, and our fuel is better now than it was in 1986, the rear separator isn't needed anymore. Oh well.
      Here's the pump I used:

And yesterday, I got the console out and modified for gauges:

I have most of the wiring done for the gauges, still need to run the wires into the car. I also had to scavenge the backlights from the gauges in my Scirocco since these Audi gauges didn't have the sockets with them. I think it looks good though, and it passed the Wife Test. I like it because the lower cubby is still usable, and the radio will be in the stock location.
      That's about it really. I noodled around under the hood some, got most of the stuff in order, cobbled together a working vaccum system, tucked some wires, arranged the harnesses, and managed to somehow break the ground stud that is on the driver's inner fender.
      I'm going to fabricate two upper radiator supports and attempt to push in the radiator about 2", I think that will give me just enough room to fit the intercooler in there with a little trimming to the core support. But I think once the wiring is done, I will fire it up without the intercooler anyway just to get it warmed up for the re-torque before we break it in properly.
      So, next week she should be running. We'll see.
      Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 Wolfsburg Scirocco, 71 Super Beetle, Other rusting projects
      11-02-2009 09:47 AM #99
      Hi Brendan,
      I just read through this....Great project! I know you mentioned it when we met.
      I still have the GTI in case you need anything. I might have the condensor and stuff...will have to look.
      I know how projects can take longer than you expect.....REALLY, I KNOW!

Best of luck.
      Don

Vehicles
      11-08-2009 07:51 AM #100
      Update:

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Fired it up right as it got dark last night. Took about 20 sec. of cranking before I could hear one cylinder firing, then about 10 sec. more before two of them were firing, then about 5 more sec. of that and it roared to life! Man, I was a happy camper. It managed to start on only 2 glow plugs too, as I was trying to hurry and couldn't reach the two on the passenger side. (my 8mm wrench vanished somewhere!!!)
      2 issues, like an idiot, I forgot to tighten down the power steering pressure hose at the pump, so it sprayed PS-foam everywhere. Also had a fuel leak at the return line, so I shut the car down, and fixed those issues before starting it back up again. Fired up immediately the 2nd time.
      I have a few issues to solve. The first major one, that I need to fix before I start it up again, is that none of my aux. gauges are reading correctly. (at least I hope not) The oil temp gauge maxes out immediately as soon as it gets power, the volt and oil pressure gauges move slightly from 0 but neither one of them do anything after that. I am not really comfortable running this engine without oil pressure. The idiot-light works when you turn the key, then goes off as soon as the car starts, so I am assuming that is working correctly. I have spare oil pressure and oil temp gauges from the Scirocco, after I verify correct voltage at the gauge I will swap them out to see if they are malfunctioning.
      I also need an insulator on the fuel pump, it's kinda loud reverberating on the body. Someone at VWDiesel.net informed me that I might need one and they were right.
      Still gotta build the intake and fit the intercooler. Gonna try to tackle that today. I also temporarily wired up the glow plugs so I need to finalize that today too.
      Exciting!!!!
      Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '76 Kawasaki KZ400

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast