Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Project: Wife's Diesel Golf "GTD"

Vehicles
      2005 Dodge stratus SXT Coupe
      11-09-2009 12:35 PM #106
      i'm bored with these updates, get it runnin will ya

j/k doin a good job bub! keep up the good work, you're at the end/frustrating/kill someone/irritating part of just about every project.. getting it back running

"Play a Windows CD backwards and hear scary messages. Thats nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows"
      Homebrewers of the 'tex. Join us! Home brewers CHECK IN please!

Vehicles
      MkIV,VI Jetta:::'87 QStationW:::'08 TT
      11-21-2009 11:10 PM #107
      This is an awesome build... looking forward to seeing the finally product.
      The Mexicans who assembled my Wolfsburg like German food... good enough for me!
      VW Mk2 Transmission Installation Specialty Tool = 25th Anniversary Foose Channel Locks
      Quote Originally Posted by Deezy View Post
      Don't be a vagina. Take it apart

11-24-2009 07:15 PM #108
      Thanks!

Well here we go. Another update, I've actually been working on it pretty steadily, but it seems that some days I'll spend the whole day and nothing really ends up getting done. But there is some real progress to report.

First up, the wiring is all finished and the interior is back together except for the passenger seat. I had ripped all the seats out, most of the carpet, and vaccumed everything while I was doing the wiring. Got all of the gauges sorted and working, and got the glow plug "pimping" done. I was figuring out where to mount all of the electrical additions with the glow plug system and relaying the headlights and didn't like the idea of just plopping it in the engine bay somewhere. So I had a spare ECU bracket from a digi car, and low and behold, the Golf has the mounting pins for it in the raintray. So I decided to put all my crap on that.

I especially like the solenoid underneath like that away from stray tools and wires and whatnot as opposed to being in the engine bay directly.

Here it is all wired up and installed:

I spent a lot of time wiping down everything inside the car to clean it up before I put it together. Here's the results of that effort:

On order are all new seat sliders and a new switch blank to cover that hole. Stereo coming eventually.

Next up, the god damn intercooler. For the record, the SAAB intercooler is not the best for this application, there just isn't a good place for it. I spent most of a day modding the AC condenser from my Corrado to make it fit since it was a little bit smaller, and when I was putting all of the AC lines back in, (with new o-rings) I twisted off the end of one of the fittings, and it was the last freaking line before the system was done. DAMMIT! So I yanked all of it except the compressor out. No AC for this car for now, maybe later. That gave me more space to mount the intercooler but it was still a bastard, I had to cut one of the mounting posts off of the intercooler, and nip one of the mounting bosses off of the radiator, and cut a lot of the core support away completely. But it fits!

Also tucked away on the right side is the oil cooler with a simple L-bracket to hold it in place.

The intercooler piping was a pain too. I had some left over exhaust bends, so I had to fabricate some pipes to go along with the cxracing.com aluminum pipe kit. I had to dimple one of the pipes with a hammer to clear the Alt. pulley:

It's a TIGHT fit. But I think it will work. Here are the rest of the pics that I took tonight:

The bay as it sits right now:

Still a few wires to clean up when I get around to it.

Yes, I'll put the upper timing cover back on. Didn't feel like doing it tonight.

The "Spectre" air filter and intake pipe kit from the rice section at AutoStoned. PITA to work with and the pipes are plastic, but unless you can bend and weld aluminum, it will have to do. It actually fits pretty nicely after I got it all together.

Whew. I had a bit of drama as some of you might know, I had to remove the injection pump to fix a coolant leak that I could not reach, and apparently when it put it back together, I got the timing off a bit and she wouldn't start. I went out and fixed that tonight and she starts right up, and no sign of the leak either. I think the timing is still advanced a bit too much as the "diesel clatter" is a bit louder than I think it should be, but it's about time to drive this thing.

I need to un-stick the parking brake, slap on the axles, (still have no idea if the turbo oil drain line will clear!!!) and get it on the ground for a trial run. Hopefully I can get that done this weekend. Wish me luck!!!

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI
      '02 Jetta Wagon 1.8t, tiptragic to manual swap.

11-24-2009 09:11 PM #109
      so.... what's the KBB value of this Golf then??

'80 Scirocco | 2014 X3 xDr28i | 2014 328i GT

Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      11-24-2009 09:53 PM #110
      Quote, originally posted by Lord_Verminaard »
      . Wish me luck!!!

Brendan

Obviously! Awesome that you're SO CLOSE!!!!!!!

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 88 Fox Wagon (sold), 90 Golf, 83 Q Sedan TD, 88 QSW (soon tdi), 85 Q wgn, 03 A4 Avant
      11-24-2009 10:34 PM #111
      Great work man. Only suggestion...put a grommet in that hole where those 4 red wires pass through the hole in that digi mount plate. Also that silver braided heavy gauge wire sure looks famaliar...haha

11-25-2009 08:29 AM #112
      Quote, originally posted by Michael Bee »

ROFL About six dollars. (drama in my Corrado sale thread)

Quote, originally posted by punchbug »
      Awesome that you're SO CLOSE!!!!!!!

Close? HA! We've only just begun! Muahahaha!!!

Quote, originally posted by DubbinChris »
      Only suggestion...put a grommet in that hole where those 4 red wires pass through the hole in that digi mount plate. Also that silver braided heavy gauge wire sure looks famaliar...haha

I got grommets. Yeah that cable- heh, I had to cut some of it to get it out, and I could have sworn I had a spare set of jumper cables to cut up for this but couldn't find them. I still have most of the other wires intact if you want them back.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

Vehicles
      85 Ur Quattro, 88 Fox Wagon (sold), 90 Golf, 83 Q Sedan TD, 88 QSW (soon tdi), 85 Q wgn, 03 A4 Avant
      11-25-2009 10:56 AM #113
      Yeah I really got those cables in there good iirc. I wouldn't mind those patch cables back actually. No hurry obviously.

Can't want to hear this thing run in person.

Vehicles
      11-25-2009 03:05 PM #114
      Thanks!

Whew. I had a bit of drama as some of you might know, I had to remove the injection pump to fix a coolant leak that I could not reach, and apparently when it put it back together, I got the timing off a bit and she wouldn't start. I went out and fixed that tonight and she starts right up, and no sign of the leak either. I think the timing is still advanced a bit too much as the "diesel clatter" is a bit louder than I think it should be, but it's about time to drive this thing.

I just read this again. I hope nothing crashed in the motor when the timing was off. I don't know much it needs to be off for valves to crash. Hopefully it was just the IP that was off a tooth or two and not the cam pulley.

BTW do you have the puller to pull off that IP pulley? I need to borrow one at some point as I have an IDI pump to pull on my Quantum to have it resealed but can't track down the puller. I have the locking plate and pin but no puller. Everyone I know has the TDI and the puller for that is different.

Vehicles
      11-26-2009 11:05 AM #115
      Quote, originally posted by Michael Bee »

ROFLMFAO.....oh i almost hurt myself when I read that!!!!!!!

VW Mk2 Transmission Installation Specialty Tool = 25th Anniversary Foose Channel Locks

Vehicles
      '78 Rabbit C, '91 Golf Country, '92 Porsche 965, '07 BMW 116i RHD, TDI's
      11-28-2009 11:14 PM #116

Looking good man. Subscribed for sure. Still fairly new to the Diesel market myself, but I'm learning and modding fast! You have me a little worried on this though:

Drilled and taped the EGT port on the manifold- that was a bitch, since the runners would interfere with the T-handle wrench I was using on the tap- I had to inch it about an 1/8th of a turn, reposition the wrench, do another 1/8th of a turn, then carefully use a pipe wrench about 1/4 of a turn, then back to the T-handle again. Took forever.

I've ALWAYS tapped the EGT probe in the DP on all my turbo cars (as the gauge manufacturer recommends). Your reading won't be that far off, and if the probe breaks it won't cost you turbo.

12-01-2009 03:53 PM #117
      Thanks for the concern, I'm not worried. VDO recommends pre-turbo tapping, and from the looks of the probe, the only way it would break is if a giant chunk of piston came out of the head and slammed into it at full speed.

Update, I drove it to work today.

We took it for a test-spin on Sunday, and everything went well. No leaks, no scary noises, and it drives really well.

Monday, we got it registered, titled, and insured. I also lined up the headlights and put air in the tires.

A few concerns, but nothing major. Rear wheel bearings are shot, the alignment is out pretty badly, and I have a boost leak somewhere. And I need more fuel, it doesn't smoke even a little bit.

The speedo/odo do not work. I hear clicking in the cluster though, that usually means it's fooked, right?

The 4-crawler relay shaft ball bushing thingy is too tight. The shifter does not auto-center and it's annoying. Going to have to figure out how to fix that.

The power steering doesn't feel like it's doing much. It's stiff. REALLY stiff, like stiffer than the manual steering in my Scirocco with 195's and this car only has 155's. Laura won't like that.

It started instantly, and I mean instantly this morning, it was cold too, about 30* F, and I didn't use the block heater. That makes me happy.

No pics or video yet, Laura left her camera at a friend's house.

So far though, I'm happy, it's turning out to be a really great little car.

Now, I'm off to flog it a little more for a proper break-in.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

Vehicles
      Assorted German Scrapmetal and a really old aircooled 'murrican trike!
      12-02-2009 08:00 AM #118

Close? HA! We've only just begun! Muahahaha!!!

Wait, I'm confused. (my normal condition) Were you not just saying that you were flogging it, or are we talking about two different cars?

(How's that flogging going? Has morale im proved yet? )

12-02-2009 02:25 PM #119
      Quote, originally posted by punchbug »

Wait, I'm confused. (my normal condition) Were you not just saying that you were flogging it, or are we talking about two different cars?

(How's that flogging going? Has morale im proved yet? )

I guess I was just referring to the fact that most VW projects are not ever really done. Just being able to drive the thing is like, phase 1.

On a side note, the goddamn headgasket is leaking coolant. Apparently I didn't seal up the extra coolant passage well enough on the AAZ headgasket. There's $120 down the tubes. Does not look like the weather is going to cooperate either. Rawr!

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

12-02-2009 02:26 PM #120
      Oh yeah, and FWIW, G12 plus will eat paint off of an engine block.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

Vehicles
      12-04-2009 11:57 PM #121
      Oh yeah, and FWIW, G12 plus will eat paint off of an engine block.

Brendan

oh noes!!!! Sorry to hear that... things looked to be coming so nicely. But small potatos, things could be worse

12-07-2009 09:41 AM #122
      Quote, originally posted by TheWolfsburg »

oh noes!!!! Sorry to hear that... things looked to be coming so nicely. But small potatos, things could be worse

Yeah, I'm still driving the crap out of it.

Another update. Put about 300 miles on it last week. (guessing) It just keeps getting better. It starts immediately every time, and the engine has smoothed out quite a bit. I have not noticed any oil consumption either. The shifter is loosening up a little, but not much. I've gotten used to it. The steering is still really tight though. I'm afraid either the pump is bad or the rack is shot. We'll keep truckin though and see what happens.

I have a local dubber who is going to let me borrow a dial indicator so I can time the pump properly. I think it's too far advanced right now.

I re-did the intercooler piping a little bit this weekend. Mainly just adjusted everything and insulated a couple spots that were rattling. I think I fixed the boost leak, as the boost comes on a lot stronger now. I had to turn the max fuel screw up A WHOLE TURN!!!! to get it to spool that big turbo, but now it comes on pretty quick when you mash it. Really doesn't boost at all with anything less than half-throttle, but it pulls so nicely that you don't need it when driving normally. It hits 15 psi now really quickly when you floor it, smoke is gone by 10. EGT's have never hit above 1100 F yet, and I've tried to get it to go higher.

Mileage seems good, it's still got the same fuel in the tank that was there when we bought the car last year. I've used about 2/3 of a tank I'd say, but I'm not sure of the actual miles I have driven either.

Might have a connection on a Diesel tach cluster. That would be sweet, then I would be able to tell when the boost comes on. Also working on getting a cheap set of 14" wheels for snow tires.

Laura drove the car most of the weekend, and she is pretty happy with it. The only other Diesel she has ever driven was a Mercedes 240D. She says that her Golf is a LOT peppier. She doesn't like the tight steering, but otherwise she is happy with the car so far. This is good timing as well, she just started a new job that will require her driving all over Central Ohio, what better car to do it with?

Hope to have a drive-by video or something soon. Head gasket is this weekend's project, weather permitting.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

12-07-2009 09:47 AM #123
      Quote, originally posted by DubbinChris »

BTW do you have the puller to pull off that IP pulley? I need to borrow one at some point as I have an IDI pump to pull on my Quantum to have it resealed but can't track down the puller. I have the locking plate and pin but no puller. Everyone I know has the TDI and the puller for that is different.

Hey Chris, just re-read this and now realized you asked me a question.

I have a crappy jaw-type puller that barely works for getting the IP pulley off. On my list of crap to do, is modify the puller jaws so it grips the pulley better, but you know how to-do lists go. The way it is right now, is that I have to jam a screwdriver in each pulley hole and pry it outward (really fun to do by yourself!) to hold the puller jaws in place while tightening the puller nut. Thankfully, the two times I've done it now, the pulley let go without too much trouble. If it would have been really tight, I'd be screwed.

Once I get the head gasket done, we'll plan a trip to C-bus so you can see and drive your old car.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

Vehicles
      Stingray
      12-07-2009 03:38 PM #124
      ... So I decided to put all my crap on that.

Brendan

BFH. That's the way to go!

Nice progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      12-07-2009 04:22 PM #125

Hey Chris, just re-read this and now realized you asked me a question.

I have a crappy jaw-type puller that barely works for getting the IP pulley off. On my list of crap to do, is modify the puller jaws so it grips the pulley better, but you know how to-do lists go. The way it is right now, is that I have to jam a screwdriver in each pulley hole and pry it outward (really fun to do by yourself!) to hold the puller jaws in place while tightening the puller nut. Thankfully, the two times I've done it now, the pulley let go without too much trouble. If it would have been really tight, I'd be screwed.

Once I get the head gasket done, we'll plan a trip to C-bus so you can see and drive your old car.

Brendan

No sweat on that puller. I'll ask around for the proper one and if still no luck I can try your method.

Yeah I'd love to take that sucker for a spin sometime once it's ready for the trip. You won't even have to come clear into Columbus as I now live on the very north end of it. Much more room than the last place you saw me in when you bought the car.

12-08-2009 08:57 AM #126

Had a power-steering miracle yesterday. Not long after I updated this post, I had to go back to my main office, and I was getting ready to make a tight right turn, the power steering suddenly started working! Ya-hoooo! I guess it had an air bubble in it or something. Who cares, it works now.

Also had a moment of fail yesterday too. Coming home from lunch, pulled on to my street, and pop. Like the tranny was in neutral but it wasn't. The drivers side axle popped off of the flange!?!?! I pushed it down the street to the house and quickly put it back on during my lunch break, tightening the bolts a lot tighter this time. Thankfully I was so close to home, but damn. Never heard of that before.

I also popped a boost coupler yesterday at 15 psi. The engine is getting really smooth now, and it has not used a drop of oil. I expected it to use a little bit during break in, but wow.

One of these days there will be some pictures and maybe a video. Head gasket will hopefully be this weekend.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

12-10-2009 10:09 AM #127
      Well, we just ordered the gasket yesterday so I doubt it will be here by the weekend.

Also, discovered this morning when unplugging the block heater, that I have a crack in the plastic elbow of the intercooler. Making 15 psi with a cracked intercooler is still pretty good I suppose.

Time to find another one. Not a bad thing I guess, I don't like how I have it set up right now anyway.

Chris, sent you a PM.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

03-30-2010 10:50 AM #128
      Well, this has probably fallen out of everyone's watched topics, and probably out of most people's memories. Time to bump this back up and give some updates.

I have some pictures not yet uploaded that I'll include a little later as well.

It's been a rough ride for this little car the past few months. But in true VW style, (and true VW ownership insanity) we have overcome and the car is really coming together.

So, the car got put into service rather quickly, there was not really any "shakedown" time before Laura needed to drive to work every day, so we had to work on things as they came, with usually a very limited time frame, plus there was the Ohio-winter weather thing to contend with.

The first order of business was the head gasket re-do back in December. I basically had a weekend allocated to do this, in a very cold garage. So Sunday rolls around, and I'm getting ready to drop the head back on. What I did when I initially assembled the engine to align the gasket and head/block, was put a small, deepwell socket in two of the head bolt locations to act as dowels, so after I got the head on and a couple of the bolts hand-threaded in, I used a magnet to pull out the sockets and bolt down the head. Simple enough, right? So I got my "alignment sockets" and dropped one in the front corner hole, and went to drop the other in the rear and- being cold and tired on Sunday night- accidentally dropped it in the oil drain hole instead. I heard it go all the way down the engine. I "assumed" that it made it all the way to the pan, I can fish it out later. I was wrong. The socket fell in to the windage tray instead. After getting it back together, I started it up, no noises, everything was fine. Took it for a test drive, and heard a loud clank. Again, everything was fine. Car was running, no smoke, all gauges were normal. Drove it about 3 miles or so, came back to the house, and popped the hood to check if the coolant leak was finally fixed and then I saw it: The end of the socket sticking out of the side of the block. It looked like a dart stuck through a piece of cardboard. Oil mist was all over the place. (though I didn't really loose that much) My heart sank. I thought it was done.

I looked at Bentley diagrams, and pictures of the block when it was apart, and I got some hope. There was a chance it didn't hit anything. So we made arrangements for Laura to get to work, and I took a day off to start tearing into it again. Pulled out the socket, drained the oil, dropped the pan, (in about 10* F high temp/snow that day!!) and had a look. There was a very small nick on one of the crank counterweights, a dent in the windage tray, and two small pieces of piston- I cracked off a piece of the bottom of the #3 skirt, about 2mm wide, 4mm long, which then broke in half. The bore in the block was fine. The socket made a near perfectly round 1/2" hole in the block. It missed the intermediate shaft and did not hit any oil galleries. I got lucky.

I cleaned the pan, (though managed to break the plastic baffle around the pump pickup- no time to replace it now!!) and contemplated how to handle the hole. I thought patch and JB weld, but then had a better idea. Drill and tap and use a plug. I had a 1/2" NPT pipe tap, and bought an iron square-head NPT plug, and borrowed a big-assed drill from my neighbor. Took the core support of the car off, moved the radiator out of the way, and carefully drilled out the hole. I then proceeded to tap, (by using a socket and ratchet instead of a proper tap wrench which would not fit in the space!!!) and carefully cleaned the hole and both sides of the block surface, and using a bit of sealant, tightened down the plug in the hole. It was perfect, almost like it was supposed to go there. Buttoned the car back up and it's holding fine.

After that incident, Laura decided to name the car "Lucky". I think it's fitting.

Cathy happened to take a pic of the repair when we saw her at Daun's a while back, but otherwise I'll have to take a few pictures of it.

Edit: Here's the pic, thanks Cathy:

Many more updates since then, but I'll leave you all with that for now. I was actually very embarrassed about it, and even thought about not posting it at all, but from the few people I've told about it, it makes a great story so why not. Plus, I have something for the "Carnage Award" this year.

Enjoy. More to come.

Brendan

Modified by Lord_Verminaard at 3:05 PM 3-31-2010

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

Vehicles
      things broken
      03-30-2010 01:11 PM #129
      No. Fucking. Way.

That is crazy. I'm glad you got lucky there, Brendan!

Quote Originally Posted by punchbug
      Not wanting to select a wheel style, I chose to go with three different wheel and tire options, sourced from our extensive collection. (criteria was: not currently on another car, 4X100 bolt pattern, tires must hold some air.)
      1981 Scirocco
      2010 Sportwagen TDI

03-31-2010 03:07 PM #130
      Quote, originally posted by scirocco*joe »
      No. Fucking. Way.

That is crazy. I'm glad you got lucky there, Brendan!

Way. I'm glad too!!

Pic added to my previous post.

Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

04-26-2010 04:31 PM #131
      So here's what else has been going on.

A couple months ago, the turbo that I had rebuilt stopped making boost. As in basically none until the very top of the rpm range. EGT's were high as well and the car was very slow! So I must have screwed something up. On top of that, the injection pump started acting really strange. It would violently surge just off-idle. No amount of timing adjustment or futzing around with the fuel could make it act right. Drew came to my rescue again, and sold me a nice OEM T3 TD turbo and TD-specific injection pump. I had an OEM T3 manifold (that Drew also gave me, several years ago!!) ported and cleaned up, so that meant a turbo swap was in the future. I swapped out the injection pump first which is getting to be a pretty easy task for me, and that fixed the surging issue and the car ran much smoother after that. Still slow, but drivable now.

Next up was the turbo swap. I ordered 8 new exhaust studs, 8 new nuts, metal gaskets, a new stud for the turbo to downpipe flange, and 4 HD nuts to attach the flange to turbo. Since the OEM manifold and turbo are mounted in a different orientation than my previous setup, I had to cut-up and re-fabricate my downpipe, re-do the intake piping some, and make a new oil feed and drain line. I didn't discover the issue with the feed line until Saturday, when nobody in the greater Central Ohio area had the correct adapter to go from M12 to JIC-4. Summit racing had it, 2 hours away (one way) so off to Summit I went. Most of Saturday was spent removing old stuff, which went pretty well. Sunday was the frustrating day, and I'll spare all of the details, but it didn't get done. Actually got most of it done but when I cranked it over, there was a massive exhaust leak from under the hood. I called it a day and finished it on Monday. After doing an in-car cold-side reclock of the turbo, and re-torqueing the turbo bolts, she fired up and we were back in business, and back in the BOOST! The car was a freaking rocket now compared to what it was.

Until a day later, when the click of a CV joint said "no more!!!!" Picked up a new axle at Advance and swapped it out, and everything is good there.

About a week after that, the car was having trouble starting. Plug in the block heater (even when it's fairly warm out) and it starts right up, also hot-starts instantly. Damn if a glow plug or three isnt bad. That can wait.

I did give it some love instead of just fixing crap though. I took off the mudflaps and installed the GTI flares and popped on the 15" BBS wheels. Now, except for the 4x4 stance, it looks the part!

A few weeks ago, the power steering started moaning. Then it wasn't providing any.... power. Picked up a good pump from Anson for cheap and swapped it out, and I'll be damned when I dropped the car off of the stands and pulled it out of the driveway, I found the diesel fuel leak. Injection pump is leaking now. When will it end!?!?!?!?
      Look at it this way: that gives me a chance to replace the glow plugs and do the governor mod on the injection pump while I have it apart. If I can swing it, I'd like to pop an intercooler on it too, since I have to take all of the pipe off... again. Plus I think the exhaust leak under the hood has resurfaced, so I'll need to re-torque the bolts some more.

I also picked up a nice GTI front sway. Need to find a rear one and a set of springs, and finally this car can wear the GTD badge that I have for it.

Too many projects right now. The Corrado needs fixed and sold like yesterday, but Larua has to drive it for work since her car is out with the fuel leak. I have also been sourcing parts for the Audi, I'll have to do an engine/tranny pull on it soon to replace the trans and do the clutch and timing belt. Then there is the whole Scirocco thing......

I didn't snap a lot of pics while I was frantically working on these projects. One of these days we will clean the car up for a proper photo shoot.

More to come....
      Brendan

'81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

05-13-2010 09:43 AM #132
      Car is back on the road, though I did threaten to light it on fire once or twice.

I got the re-seal kit for the injection pump, and when I was putting the big o-ring seal on the delivery valve head, it got lodged incorrectly and the seal got cut in half. So I decided to put the TD pump top on the NA pump bottom. Did that, mounted it in the car, and when I started it, the engine immediately started revving out of control. Quickly shut it off, and to make a long story short, I fooled with it for hours and could not get it to start and idle normally.

A couple days went by, and I eventually swapped the original NA pump top back on, and after smurfing around with the throttle lever a bit, got it to start and idle normally again. YAY! So it's back on the road. I've been driving it to work the past few days and it's been good, down on power due to the NA pump so I'm only hitting about 10 psi now, but at least the damn thing runs again.

The Audi lunched it's throwout bearing, and Laura is only working three days a week right now so she's driving the Corrado. I STILL have a catch-can to install in this car, and I got a nice Front-mount intercooler, but the inlet/outlet is smaller than my current piping so I need to fabricate new boost tubes and get new silicone couplers. That won't happen before Cincy, unfortunately. If I'm lucky I'll at least get the car cleaned up some but the two gaskets that I didn't replace when I rebuilt the engine- the oil cooler o-ring and the vac pump o-ring- are both leaking oil everywhere. Under the hood is a mess, you would have no idea that just short of a year ago this engine was rebuilt.

We are putting this project on hold until our money situation is back under control and some of these car projects are taken care of. The Audi has a major surgery scheduled, and after that, the Corrado is going under the knife so I can get it sold. After those issues are taken care of, then I'll tear back into this- maybe paint, maybe suspension, definitely a hot rebuilt TD injection pump and an intercooler and boost controller.

Brendan
      '81 Scirocco 'S ...
      '05 New Beetle TDI

Vehicles
      1986 Golf VR6 | 1993 Corrado | 2004 Yamaha R1 | 2012 Golf R
      05-21-2010 09:38 AM #133
      Following.

Great work!
      ------
      Check out my Volkswagen Road Trip! (www.YouTube.com/user/ianNeumeyer)
      From TTAC comments; --> jrosevear - "But how many brands can VW really manage?" qfrog - "I think VW has that number estimated at somewhere between most and all of them."

Vehicles
      2012 Volkswagen Jetta S, 2010 Kawasaki KLR650
      06-03-2010 10:58 AM #134
      yo man good work .. u put a lot of time into that.. keep on with the awesome work..
      R.I.P. Allen A.K.A. vr6inside98. 89'-11' I LOVE YOU MAN
      Tri state area. VAG-COM (VCDS) Scans/Mods available (HEX+CAN)/Suspension install available/Fender rolling available. Send me a PM for pricing!
      Instagram- @mr_toffee

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234