Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: lsd instalation specs etc

Vehicles
      Mk3 golf, b5 passat, 99 dodge 1500 83 ironhead
      03-29-2009 09:58 AM #1
      so i'm in the middle of this decent build i guess you could say
      and i had purchased a quaiif lsd for my vr6 transmission..
      i was wondering if anybody knew the torque specs and anything else important about installing these....
      or even if somebody is nice enough to have made up some sort of procedure i could use.
      thousand thank yous if you can help this lost soul.

2. 03-29-2009 11:16 PM #2
      if you find a diy let me know

Vehicles
      04-03-2009 07:08 AM #3
      haha i was hoping somebody wouuld have helped me out by now i found soemthing on broke vw.com pretty good in detail however i dont think it's the right transmission maybe if i talk to the guy he might beable to guide me in the right direction..

4. 04-19-2009 07:14 PM #4
      good luck

Vehicles
      05-12-2009 04:36 PM #5
      trans is rebuilt now new fifth gear, new carrier bearings as well as brnd new input shaft..

Vehicles
      86 GTI 2.0L, 88 Scirocco 16V, 2010 F150 STX
      05-12-2009 08:07 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by turbochachi »
      haha i was hoping somebody wouuld have helped me out by now i found soemthing on broke vw.com pretty good in detail however i dont think it's the right transmission maybe if i talk to the guy he might beable to guide me in the right direction..

I didn't see this thread... I did do a write-up on the 02A preload specs, but don't have any pics of it hosted or anything...
      Even though it is a bit late, here is a copy for future use:
      Input shaft -
      -Install bearing into trans housing without shim
      -Install bearing into clutch housing without shim
      -Install input shaft into clutch housing, then install trans housing, tighten bolts to 18 ft-lb + 1/4 turn
      -Install measuring fixture, rotate shaft to settle bearings, zero dial with 1mm preload
      -Measure shaft play recorded on dial
      From there you take the recorded play and look at a table of results and corresponding shim sizes. The list is fairly long, so if you need to know a shim size for a certain amount of play, let me know, and I can find out for you. Chances are though, I'd guess, that the shims in the box now will bring you back to spec when just replacing the bearings. It is when you swap case parts or shafts that the preload really needs checked closely.
      When it is all installed again with the proper shim (or the shims you removed form the case in the order you found them), the play is checked again, and you want a minimum play of 0.01mm (0.0004") and a maximum of 0.09mm (0.0035").
      If the bearing play cannot be measured, but there is perceptible input shaft play and the input shaft turns freely, the adjustment is acceptable.
      -Turning torque should be a max of 1.8 inch-pounds
      Output shaft -
      The procedure looks to be the same as for the 020, so that is covered on my site. The only changes look to be the bearing clamping plate bolt torque, for the 02A it is 18 ft-lbs + 1/4 turn; and the final turning torque of the shaft with new bearings....your 02A should be 12-16 inch-pounds of turning torque..
      Install the small bearing and 0.65mm shim, don't rotate shaft to settle bearings, measure play, add play, 0.65mm shim, and a preload constant of 0.20mm to get final shim size. They look to use the same 020 shims and part numbers, so those can be found on my site too.
      Diff Carrier -
      -Install both bearings without shims
      -Install diff in clutch housing
      -Install trans housing, and 5 bolts, tighten to 18 ft-lbs
      -Install dial, don't rotate shaft to settle bearings, measure play
      -Add measured play with constant preload value of 0.40mm to get correct shim size
      -Install shim under bearing in trans housing
      -Lube bearings with trans fluid, measure turning torque, spec values on new bearings should be between 11-29 inch-pounds

02J specs are the same as the 02A, but VW doesn't offer any turning torque values for the 02J. I would use the 02A turning torque specs for the 02J trans.
      Last edited by Broke; 01-05-2013 at 07:52 AM.
      020 trans info pages - www.BrokeVW.com
      NEW 0.7619 5th gears for the 020
      NEW 020 reverse gears
      '86 GTI 8V 2.0L -'88 Scirocco 16V - '10 F150 4x4

Vehicles
      09-07-2009 12:12 PM #7
      hey broke thanks i was guided through the process anyway.

For advertising information click HERE