VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

**Official 24V 3.6L Engine (oil pump bolt) failure thread**

283K views 260 replies 115 participants last post by  glassbuggy 
#1 ·
***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread

I created this thread for all VW and Audi 3.6L 24V Engine Failures, that seem to be happening to more and more Users here.
Please post ONLY the following information:
Production date of Vehicle:
Failure (if noted by dealer)
PM me for any other questions, I want this thread to stay clean.
Thanks.

#3 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (LSinLV)

Production Date: 09/06
Failure (as noted by dealer):
High pressure fuel pump seal failure. Caused by overfilled crankcase by factory or dealer. 1000K, no problems since.

Modified by Firbogs at 5:42 PM 4-22-2007

#4 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (Firbogs)

Quote, originally posted by Firbogs »
Production Date: 09/06
Failure (as noted by dealer):
High pressure fuel pump seal failure. Caused by overfilled crankcase by factory or dealer. 1000K, no problems since.

Modified by Firbogs at 5:42 PM 4-22-2007

Second on the high pressure fuel pump oil seal failure. Dealer said seal was installed by the factory incorrectly. Failure discovered during 10k service.

#5 ·

Quote, originally posted by LSinLV »
Production Date: 09/2006
Failure: oil pump/timing gear bolt failure

Production date : 05/06
Failure (as noted by dealer) : CEL - Camshaft position sensor (G40) Implausible signal due to intermediate shaft / oil pump bolt failure

#8 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (JHAYPASSAT06)

Copied from another 3.6 engine failure thread originally posted by myself:
A customer had his 3.6 passat towed in because it was running rough and the engine light was flashing. Turns out the timing gear bolt backed out just enough to allow the gear to wobble and shear off 4 teeth. The tech replaced all timing gears, chains, tensioners, and hardware at the QTM's recommendation. So the tech replaces everything and takes it out for a test drive. After coming back from a 20 mile test drive, the the parks the car and notices a *little* smoke coming from under the hood. He pops the hood and the rear of the engine has just caught fire. Apparently the bolt backed out again, cut a hole in the timing cover and the gears and chain were flinging the oil (in a fine mist) right onto the left catalytic convertor.
Needless to say the engine was replaced with a new engine.
Ohh Yeah, Did I mention the car had only 4400 miles on it?
Here is the VIN and date of production of the vehicle that had the engine replaced at my dealership at 4400 miles
*****73C*7E042774
With a production date of 07/14/2006

#9 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (fixmy59bug)

2007 Passat wagon 4Motion VR6
Performed gff and found multiple misfires on cylinder 2&3 checked and found low compression on cylinder 2&3. Removed engine and transmission per techline. Disassembled and found intermediate shaft bolt broken causing severe internal engine damage. Contacted vta & Steve ******. Ordered new engine. (Car in shop 15 days)
Build date September 2006.
Engine failure 8,804 miles
Got car back transmission problems 2 days later, fixed (?) Sure for about two more days now back in shop for new transmission. (Details to follow)Don't really want to post vin #. Sister-in-laws car, but I'm the one that took into dealer each time. ( I have 2006 Jetta TDI, with that glorious DMF!)

Modified by 8606 at 5:03 PM 5-31-2007

#12 ·

'07 B6 3.6 wagon. roughly 16k miles
date of production: ?
*****93C*7E004997
Car was taken to dealer due to solid check engine light (which had appeared the previous day). Simultaneously, it developed a slight new "rushing" noise under acceleration. Finally got it back today.
The problem as described to me was that one of the bolts securing the oil pump sheared into two pieces, thus causing the oil pump to begin to tilt out of position. This affected the cam timing enough to throw the code (thank goodness). They basically replaced the oil pump and the entire cam drive train, including a new stronger bolt. Pulled head and oil pan to look for any sign of damage to the engine, none found.
I don't know how often this problem manifests with the cam position sensor code, but perhaps this should be a reinforcement to 3.6 owners to not delay if they see the light come on. I'm convinced that taking it in quickly avoided a full engine replacement in my case.

#13 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (jmcclure)

06 3.6
Taken to dealer with CEL, sputtering in accelartion most noticable at 2200 Rpm or right before it shifts into 3rd.
Dealer informed Itermediate sproket bolt sheared and had been sheared for a while. Sprockets floating loosley togther Replaced both chains, timing cover, further problem after repair oil pump failure.
Might be further problems, Dealer has not been forthcoming with full info found notation on repair sheet from Dealer with VW found aluminum shavings on Oil pump.
Going back in the dealer for itermediate high RPMS at idle, very hard shifting between 1 and second gear.

#14 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (DaveFL)

Update for everyone, I will edit and post Vin tomorrow at work.
CEL liht back on today had the car back less than a week. Sputtering and ticking loudly. temp sensor says good but engine smells extremely hot.
Having it towed to dealer in the morning.
Updated VIN no idea build date
*****73C*6P171585

Modified by DaveFL at 9:01 AM 6-13-2007

#16 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (8606)

Came across this in another thread in the VWVortex Forums. Any possibility that the 3.6L engine failure is linked to the factory in which the car is assembled at?
I noticed that someone had posted a VIN. Checked it out and it says that the car was manufactured at the Emden, Germany factory. Are the others coming from the same factory?

Pasted the posting on VIN and determine factory.
====================================
Quote, originally posted by fincher »
AFIK, if you have an 'M' in your VIN -- somewhere in the middle -- then your Passat was made in Mosel.
Almost. VIN charater 11 represents the plant location. Mosel is location "P". See below for the entire list, or you can use this handy tool http://www.abvwc.org.uk/vw_vin.htm
A=Ingolstadt, Germany
B=Brussels, Belgium
C=Taipei, Taiwan
D=Bratislava, Slovakia
E=Emden, Germany
G=Steyr/Graz, Austria
H=Hannover, Germany
J=Jakarta, Indonesia
K=Karmann, Osnabruck Germany
L=Leipzig, Germany
M=Puebla, Mexico
N=Neckarsulm, Germany
P=Mosel, Germany
R=Martorell, Barcelona, Spain
S=Stuttgart, Germany
T=Kvasiny, Czech Republic
U=Uitenhage, South Africa
V=Palmela, Portugal (Westmoreland, PA, USA before 1988)
W=Wolfsburg, Germany
X=Poznan, Poland
Z=Filler character: No meaning
1=Gyor, Hungary
2=Changchun, China
4=Curitiba, Brazil

#17 ·

I have had 2 different Touregs with the V6 engines. The first one I had bought in Feb. of this year and first road trip the engine blew up, coming back from Salt Lake City Utah. The dealer replaced the vehicle with another Toureg. Just Came Back from Yuma Arizona and lost power and engine light came steady on with 4500 miles on it. Took it to the dealer and they told me it had the same problem as the first one. The dealer told me it was the chain tensioner coming loose in the engine and there is about 600 engines or more out there with this problem.

#20 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (gugarci)

I wouldn't recommend buying a new VW with a 3.6L 24v Engine. This problem with the engines seems to be all over. I plan on trading my toureg in and getting something else. I have had problems with (2) of them, with the 3.6L motor in them. I also just found out a couple of weeks ago that the fuel pumps in the new 2.0 Turbo engines are vapor locking and causing the car to shut off if they get to hot.
So VW is not doing so well.
VIN for Touregs are WVGZE77L17D004543
WVGZE77L87D003602

#22 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (gugarci)

Quote, originally posted by gugarci »
I'll keep it in mind. Although it's good that this thread is not getting any bigger.

there was another failure reported in the B6 forum. He hasnt posted in here yet.

#23 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (volkwolf)

Update on my 3.6L engine replacement. VW replaced the engine in about a week. Final tests on the replacement engine claimed they heard " a funny noise" and VW of America wanted them to replace the engine again.
Replaced the second engine, and now determined they needed to order another oil cooler. Will take another week.
It has had enough days in the shop for the Lemon Law to be in effect.

#24 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (kaesem)

Update on the 2007 Toureg still in the shop since 7/2/07. Went to pick it up and they scratched the front end up and passenger side headlight. It's getting repainted on the front end, and the passenger side headlight is getting replaced.
Called Corporate about the situation to get my down payment back from them. The told me to basicly screw off. VW SUCKS!!!!!! BIG TIME WHEN YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THERE CARS.

#25 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (volkwolf)

Are there any symptoms prior to the engine failing?
My 3.6 4motion wagon has been making this metal rubbing/whining noise at 30-40mph and 75+ mph on hot days since about 2k miles (now it has 8k) Spent over 3 weeks with the dealer and they can't find anything wrong.
They said they would get a VWoA rep out here to look at it but it has been nearly 3 months and I haven't gotten a call from them. Contacted VWoA and they said I would be contacted within a week, it's been over 1 month and still no call back.

#26 ·
Re: ***OFFICIAL*** 3.6L 24V Engine Failure Thread (thenew3)

The main sympton is loss of power and the engine light comes on steady.
It sounds like that your 3.6 4motion you have is having the failure with the engine. If it was me I would just take it out and run the hell out of it. Pulling hills and high rpms will put it to the test, just run it hard.
Don't depend on VW to call you back they won't. I just got my Toureg back today and It is leaking tranny fluid now, so it's got to go back in the shop.
Bottom line VW has produced Junk for the public market and is trying to get out of the mess as cheap as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.