Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official 24V 3.6L Engine (oil pump bolt) failure thread**

1. 08-16-2007 11:51 AM #26
      The main sympton is loss of power and the engine light comes on steady.
      It sounds like that your 3.6 4motion you have is having the failure with the engine. If it was me I would just take it out and run the hell out of it. Pulling hills and high rpms will put it to the test, just run it hard.
      Don't depend on VW to call you back they won't. I just got my Toureg back today and It is leaking tranny fluid now, so it's got to go back in the shop. Bottom line VW has produced Junk for the public market and is trying to get out of the mess as cheap as possible.

2. 09-02-2007 07:52 PM #27
      To mine happened that i had to replace camshafts all gaskets dismount all engine dismount gearbox and replace oil pump and under the cylinder head replace a oil retention valve . all that after 5.000 miles

3. 09-02-2007 07:58 PM #28
      The reason is a oil retention valve under the cylinder head you have to dismount al engine replace the gaskets oil pum and the valve all the reliability of engine is suporte by this oil valve close betwen engine and cylinder head.

Vehicles
      '11 GTI,
      09-09-2007 10:47 AM #29
      Wow, this makes the coil pack fiasco look like nothing. Way to go VW!! And for those who have reached the lemon law quota...do it and run very far away.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

5. 09-12-2007 08:55 AM #30
      2006 3.6
      1st failure occured Jan. 07
      Mileage at time of failure13,357
      Oil pump/timing gear bolt failure
      Engine repaired not replaced
      2nd failure occured Sept. 07
      Mileage at time of failure 22,161
      In shop right now but suspect same oil pump/timing gear bolt failure
      Will demand new engine or new car

6. 09-12-2007 02:46 PM #31
      Update...........
      Just got off of the phone with my service advisor at the dealership. VWoA has agreed to replace my entire engine. Will take about a week to get the new engine shipped and installed.
      Perhaps I can finaly enjoy owning a B6 if all goes well with the new engine.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07 Passat Wagon 3.6L 4motion Sport
      09-13-2007 03:08 PM #32
      What worries me the most is the idea of this happening............after warranty!!

8. 09-15-2007 08:47 AM #33
      More than likely it will happen before warranty, even before 10k miles. Lemon Law is tricky (vague) on state website. Now we know specifics. Sister-in-laws car unable to use lemon law , but VW agreed to replace car (due to all the other problems). Hopefully the new car will be trouble free. Hey you have to be optimistic.

9. 09-16-2007 12:11 PM #34

Model: 2007 Passat Wagon 3.6L
      Production Date: Unsure, purchased in Jan 07
      Failure: CEL came on, brought into shop. Work order states R&R Chain and Listed Parts (19parts) Complete engine remove and reinstall. Parts include B-chain, rail, tensioner, sprockets, gasket, flange, seal, screw, bolt, cool, oil. Happened at 14K mi. 17 days in shop.
      According to VIN manufactured in Emden, Germany
      How does one find the production date?

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      09-19-2007 06:53 AM #35
      See: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3451148
      PM me if you have had this failure and I'll put together a folder of all the work-orders related to this problem. Maybe bringing this evidence to our dealerships will convince them to do a preventive fix.

11. 09-27-2007 08:19 AM #36
      Quote, originally posted by vwjockey »
      How does one find the production date?

It's on the sticker on the driver-side B-pillar / door jamb.

Vehicles
      2007 VW Passat 3.6 4Motion
      10-09-2007 01:18 AM #37
      Quote, originally posted by Frustrated 3.6 »
      Update...........
      Just got off of the phone with my service advisor at the dealership. VWoA has agreed to replace my entire engine. Will take about a week to get the new engine shipped and installed.
      Perhaps I can finaly enjoy owning a B6 if all goes well with the new engine.

What year is your car?

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      10-10-2007 05:02 AM #38
      Are any of these failures due to the crankshaft?
      FWIW,I have removed the timing chain tensioner on 2 24V VR6 heads (3.2 & 2.8) and those 4 bolts that hold the tensioner to the head are TIGHT and I mean TIGHT.At least 80 ft/lbs of torque had to go into breaking them.Maybe the factory personal forgot to torque them?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Lux 3.6 4motion
      10-10-2007 08:47 AM #39
      Quote, originally posted by Wizard-of-OD »
      Are any of these failures due to the crankshaft?
      FWIW,I have removed the timing chain tensioner on 2 24V VR6 heads (3.2 & 2.8) and those 4 bolts that hold the tensioner to the head are TIGHT and I mean TIGHT.At least 80 ft/lbs of torque had to go into breaking them.Maybe the factory personal forgot to torque them?

From what we understand these bolts are breaking. They aren't the correct spec (12.9) for the application and stress load. They are using 8.8 grade bolts and that isn't cutting it.

15. 10-11-2007 01:05 PM #40
      My R32 motor went to **** in 4,000 miles after buying it. Bought the car with 33,000 drove to 37,000 2 weeks from now new motor. Hope this one lasts a little longer.
      WVWKG61J24D099496

Modified by SuppaSneaks at 10:12 AM 10-11-2007

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2007 Passat 2.0t Sedan
      10-22-2007 04:17 PM #41
      Anyone know if this failure problem has been fixed on the 08 production?
      Got an order for a 3.6 4motion passat going in soon.
      2008 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine RIP Totaled 4/23/2013
      2007 Passat 2.0t sedan Wife
      2007 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine, Lemoned

17. 10-24-2007 05:18 PM #42
      Had the final arbritration hearing on this vehicle, Administrative Law Judge ruled that VW buy the car back due to the number of days it was in the shop.
      Pick up my check tomorrow. I did find a 06 Evo and purchased it yesterday. Fun car but could not pass up the screaming deal. The dealer had no idea what they had.
      Cheers

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2007 Passat 2.0t Sedan
      10-25-2007 05:22 AM #43
      Quote, originally posted by kaesem »
      Had the final arbritration hearing on this vehicle, Administrative Law Judge ruled that VW buy the car back due to the number of days it was in the shop.
      Pick up my check tomorrow. I did find a 06 Evo and purchased it yesterday. Fun car but could not pass up the screaming deal. The dealer had no idea what they had.
      Cheers

Did they give u what u originally paid for it or did they figure in depreciation?
      2008 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine RIP Totaled 4/23/2013
      2007 Passat 2.0t sedan Wife
      2007 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine, Lemoned

19. 11-01-2007 08:19 AM #44
      My 2006 3.6L is in the dealer right now awaiting authorization for an engine replacement. VWoA wants all the details before sending out a new engine so they are pulling the pan and checking for further problems today. I saw it yesterday and the oil pump bolt had backed out but not broken at least. I do not have the build date since the car is in the dealer right now but I purcahsed it 5/25/06 and it was fresh off the truck when I got it. It had ~33,000 miles when this happend last Monday morning.

20. 11-20-2007 11:21 AM #45
      Add this one to the list.
      My 2007 4 motion Passat Wagon is in the shop right now getting a new engine. Took the dealer 8 days to pull the engine and determine that the problem was the oil pump bolt. So far it's been in the shop 19 days and I don't expect it to be done until next week some time.
      Oh yeah, it only had 5,700 miles on it.....

Modified by hubvdub at 11:16 AM 11-20-2007

Vehicles
      2013 Opera Red VW Passat 2.5 SE and 2013 Tempest Blue VW Jetta TDI
      12-24-2007 05:20 AM #46
      Ok, this is hypothetical, but do you all think that my 3.6 is ok? I have almost 27,000 miles in a little over a year of drving. Although, I have had my issues (replaced throttle body and numerous TSB's and recalls) it seems to be ok so far. I am so worried though. I am looking to get the extended warranty in about a year or so because for the first time in my life I plan on keeping a vehicle longer than 2 or 3 years.

22. 12-24-2007 11:00 AM #47
      My understanding is that statistically speaking, you're probably just fine. This oil pump bolt problem supposedly only affected a small number of 3.6 engines built for the 2006 (2007 for the wagon) model year. I think VWoA really believes that, or they would have issued a recall. The preemptive repair (replacing the bolt) is expensive, but it can't be nearly as expensive as replacing an entire 3.6 long block. The failure percentage wouldn't have to be very high to make more sense to issue a recall to fix the bolt.
      That's the problem with threads like this. You see all of us that had the failure talking about it, and it can easily look like "everyone" with a 3.6 has the problem. The thing to keep in mind is that this forum is nowhere close to a random sample. People who come here are fairly likely to have done so because they had some kind of problem.
      I know it's hard, but I would really say try not to worry. VWoA tech support has definitely acknowledged the problem. We haven't heard any reports of VWoA trying to weasel out of fixing it under warranty. If it happens, they'll fix it. I think you're going to be fine, though. 27k is pretty far along.

23. 12-24-2007 11:56 AM #48
      Mine's in the shop getting diagnosed for the camshaft detection error and I'm trying to understand what recourse I have in getting a new car, or having them buy it back. I'd rather not go lemon law, but I suppose it's always an option. How did any of you open up the door to conversation about this without making the dealer feel threatened? I just want the best for the dealer and of course myself, but I don't know how to deal with this type of situation. Should I open a case with VWOA, or just work it through my dealer? No one seems to have posted what they did once the car went in for initial troubleshooting.

24. 12-25-2007 07:05 PM #49
      I think you may be jumping the gun a bit.
      Quote, originally posted by networkcrasher »
      Mine's in the shop getting diagnosed for the camshaft detection error and I'm trying to understand what recourse I have in getting a new car, or having them buy it back.

I'd say unless things get a lot worse than your car needing to go in for diagnostics, you really don't have any grounds whatsoever for getting a new car or a buyback. The warranty says they'll fix the car. As long as they can fix it properly in a reasonable amount of time, that's pretty much the end of the story.
      Quote, originally posted by networkcrasher »
      I'd rather not go lemon law, but I suppose it's always an option.

Has the same problem persisted after 3 separate repair attempts by VW OR has the car been in the shop for more than 30 days total? Did the first repair attempt (or the first 15 days of the extended repair) happen while the car was less than a year old AND had less than 12,000 miles? I'm simplifying things a bit, but those are basically the requirements for making a claim under the lemon law in Georgia.
      You may want to take a look at this web page:
      http://www.georgia.gov/00/chan....html
      If all that has happened so far is that your car has gone in for troubleshooting, then I don't think you have a lemon law claim, and I don't think you're going to be able to convince anyone that you deserve a new car or a buyback. New cars have problems. The warranty is there to fix them. I don't think you're going to get anywhere by trying to get a new car or buyback right now. Just hang tight and see what happens.

25. 12-26-2007 04:56 PM #50
      Well they have the entire motor and tran torn apart and have diagnosed it as a failed bolt on the oil pump. They have ordered "misc parts" including a new oil pump and timing chain as described by another in the thread. I have wondered before if I would get a new motor or new parts, when the latter would possibly cause failure further down the road from problems created now. I was really just probing for information on how to educate myself as a consumer since I've never found myself in this situation before, and there seems to be a few other people on this board who are now experts!
      I'm at 22k miles right now, but my car may qualify for lemon under another issue I've had many problems with - my headlights.
      It just sucks that in the past month and a half, my car has been in the shop for a month of that. I am inconvenienced, have to deal with a rental, and make payments on a car I'm not even driving. Just venting!
      I've had the car in the shop for about 5 weeks total for the headlights, probably another 5 weeks for other "misc" problems - nothing I've ever have been critical about, I usually only take it in when there are a few problems that need to be fixed. I have had my headlights looked at a few times within the first 12 months and 12k miles. They fixed them every time, but then they go out again. This last spurt they had the car for 3 weeks and had to replace both headlight units as they stopped "turning" when going around corners and such. The first issues were the lights just going dark. If resale didn't suck so bad, I'd be dumping this car soon!

Modified by networkcrasher at 4:57 PM 12-26-2007

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast