Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: **Official 24V 3.6L Engine (oil pump bolt) failure thread**

1. 09-27-2007 08:19 AM #36
      Quote, originally posted by vwjockey »

How does one find the production date?

It's on the sticker on the driver-side B-pillar / door jamb.

Vehicles
      2007 VW Passat 3.6 4Motion
      10-09-2007 01:18 AM #37
      Quote, originally posted by Frustrated 3.6 »
      Update...........

Just got off of the phone with my service advisor at the dealership. VWoA has agreed to replace my entire engine. Will take about a week to get the new engine shipped and installed.

Perhaps I can finaly enjoy owning a B6 if all goes well with the new engine.

What year is your car?

Vehicles
      91 Audi 80 2.0T
      10-10-2007 05:02 AM #38
      Are any of these failures due to the crankshaft?

FWIW,I have removed the timing chain tensioner on 2 24V VR6 heads (3.2 & 2.8) and those 4 bolts that hold the tensioner to the head are TIGHT and I mean TIGHT.At least 80 ft/lbs of torque had to go into breaking them.Maybe the factory personal forgot to torque them?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 CC Lux 3.6 4motion
      10-10-2007 08:47 AM #39
      Quote, originally posted by Wizard-of-OD »
      Are any of these failures due to the crankshaft?

FWIW,I have removed the timing chain tensioner on 2 24V VR6 heads (3.2 & 2.8) and those 4 bolts that hold the tensioner to the head are TIGHT and I mean TIGHT.At least 80 ft/lbs of torque had to go into breaking them.Maybe the factory personal forgot to torque them?

From what we understand these bolts are breaking. They aren't the correct spec (12.9) for the application and stress load. They are using 8.8 grade bolts and that isn't cutting it.

2009 CC Lux 3.6 4mo
      Interlagos, Euro corners, Bilstein Sports, H&R Sport springs, H&R swaybar, H&R 10mm wheel spacers, Suitcase resonator delete, 20% tint Suspension for sale: Click-----> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...bo-for-4motion

5. 10-11-2007 01:05 PM #40
      My R32 motor went to **** in 4,000 miles after buying it. Bought the car with 33,000 drove to 37,000 2 weeks from now new motor. Hope this one lasts a little longer.

WVWKG61J24D099496

Modified by SuppaSneaks at 10:12 AM 10-11-2007

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2007 Passat 2.0t Sedan
      10-22-2007 04:17 PM #41
      Anyone know if this failure problem has been fixed on the 08 production?

Got an order for a 3.6 4motion passat going in soon.

2008 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine RIP Totaled 4/23/2013
      2007 Passat 2.0t sedan Wife
      2007 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine, Lemoned

7. 10-24-2007 05:18 PM #42
      Had the final arbritration hearing on this vehicle, Administrative Law Judge ruled that VW buy the car back due to the number of days it was in the shop.

Pick up my check tomorrow. I did find a 06 Evo and purchased it yesterday. Fun car but could not pass up the screaming deal. The dealer had no idea what they had.

Cheers

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2007 Passat 2.0t Sedan
      10-25-2007 05:22 AM #43
      Quote, originally posted by kaesem »
      Had the final arbritration hearing on this vehicle, Administrative Law Judge ruled that VW buy the car back due to the number of days it was in the shop.

Pick up my check tomorrow. I did find a 06 Evo and purchased it yesterday. Fun car but could not pass up the screaming deal. The dealer had no idea what they had.

Cheers

Did they give u what u originally paid for it or did they figure in depreciation?

2008 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine RIP Totaled 4/23/2013
      2007 Passat 2.0t sedan Wife
      2007 Passat 3.6 4Motion Wagon Mine, Lemoned

9. 11-01-2007 08:19 AM #44
      My 2006 3.6L is in the dealer right now awaiting authorization for an engine replacement. VWoA wants all the details before sending out a new engine so they are pulling the pan and checking for further problems today. I saw it yesterday and the oil pump bolt had backed out but not broken at least. I do not have the build date since the car is in the dealer right now but I purcahsed it 5/25/06 and it was fresh off the truck when I got it. It had ~33,000 miles when this happend last Monday morning.

10. 11-20-2007 11:21 AM #45
      Add this one to the list.

My 2007 4 motion Passat Wagon is in the shop right now getting a new engine. Took the dealer 8 days to pull the engine and determine that the problem was the oil pump bolt. So far it's been in the shop 19 days and I don't expect it to be done until next week some time.

Oh yeah, it only had 5,700 miles on it.....

Modified by hubvdub at 11:16 AM 11-20-2007

Vehicles
      2013 Opera Red VW Passat 2.5 SE and 2013 Tempest Blue VW Jetta TDI
      12-24-2007 05:20 AM #46
      Ok, this is hypothetical, but do you all think that my 3.6 is ok? I have almost 27,000 miles in a little over a year of drving. Although, I have had my issues (replaced throttle body and numerous TSB's and recalls) it seems to be ok so far. I am so worried though. I am looking to get the extended warranty in about a year or so because for the first time in my life I plan on keeping a vehicle longer than 2 or 3 years.

12. 12-24-2007 11:00 AM #47
      My understanding is that statistically speaking, you're probably just fine. This oil pump bolt problem supposedly only affected a small number of 3.6 engines built for the 2006 (2007 for the wagon) model year. I think VWoA really believes that, or they would have issued a recall. The preemptive repair (replacing the bolt) is expensive, but it can't be nearly as expensive as replacing an entire 3.6 long block. The failure percentage wouldn't have to be very high to make more sense to issue a recall to fix the bolt.

That's the problem with threads like this. You see all of us that had the failure talking about it, and it can easily look like "everyone" with a 3.6 has the problem. The thing to keep in mind is that this forum is nowhere close to a random sample. People who come here are fairly likely to have done so because they had some kind of problem.

I know it's hard, but I would really say try not to worry. VWoA tech support has definitely acknowledged the problem. We haven't heard any reports of VWoA trying to weasel out of fixing it under warranty. If it happens, they'll fix it. I think you're going to be fine, though. 27k is pretty far along.

13. 12-24-2007 11:56 AM #48
      Mine's in the shop getting diagnosed for the camshaft detection error and I'm trying to understand what recourse I have in getting a new car, or having them buy it back. I'd rather not go lemon law, but I suppose it's always an option. How did any of you open up the door to conversation about this without making the dealer feel threatened? I just want the best for the dealer and of course myself, but I don't know how to deal with this type of situation. Should I open a case with VWOA, or just work it through my dealer? No one seems to have posted what they did once the car went in for initial troubleshooting.

14. 12-25-2007 07:05 PM #49
      I think you may be jumping the gun a bit.

Quote, originally posted by networkcrasher »
      Mine's in the shop getting diagnosed for the camshaft detection error and I'm trying to understand what recourse I have in getting a new car, or having them buy it back.

I'd say unless things get a lot worse than your car needing to go in for diagnostics, you really don't have any grounds whatsoever for getting a new car or a buyback. The warranty says they'll fix the car. As long as they can fix it properly in a reasonable amount of time, that's pretty much the end of the story.

I'd rather not go lemon law, but I suppose it's always an option.

Has the same problem persisted after 3 separate repair attempts by VW OR has the car been in the shop for more than 30 days total? Did the first repair attempt (or the first 15 days of the extended repair) happen while the car was less than a year old AND had less than 12,000 miles? I'm simplifying things a bit, but those are basically the requirements for making a claim under the lemon law in Georgia.

You may want to take a look at this web page:
      http://www.georgia.gov/00/chan....html

If all that has happened so far is that your car has gone in for troubleshooting, then I don't think you have a lemon law claim, and I don't think you're going to be able to convince anyone that you deserve a new car or a buyback. New cars have problems. The warranty is there to fix them. I don't think you're going to get anywhere by trying to get a new car or buyback right now. Just hang tight and see what happens.

15. 12-26-2007 04:56 PM #50
      Well they have the entire motor and tran torn apart and have diagnosed it as a failed bolt on the oil pump. They have ordered "misc parts" including a new oil pump and timing chain as described by another in the thread. I have wondered before if I would get a new motor or new parts, when the latter would possibly cause failure further down the road from problems created now. I was really just probing for information on how to educate myself as a consumer since I've never found myself in this situation before, and there seems to be a few other people on this board who are now experts!

I'm at 22k miles right now, but my car may qualify for lemon under another issue I've had many problems with - my headlights.

It just sucks that in the past month and a half, my car has been in the shop for a month of that. I am inconvenienced, have to deal with a rental, and make payments on a car I'm not even driving. Just venting!

I've had the car in the shop for about 5 weeks total for the headlights, probably another 5 weeks for other "misc" problems - nothing I've ever have been critical about, I usually only take it in when there are a few problems that need to be fixed. I have had my headlights looked at a few times within the first 12 months and 12k miles. They fixed them every time, but then they go out again. This last spurt they had the car for 3 weeks and had to replace both headlight units as they stopped "turning" when going around corners and such. The first issues were the lights just going dark. If resale didn't suck so bad, I'd be dumping this car soon!

Modified by networkcrasher at 4:57 PM 12-26-2007

16. 12-26-2007 07:15 PM #51
      Check your state lemon law asap. Michigan was confusing (although we thought it was clear) until a lawyer was consulted. Here you get 4 tries and 30 days to fix a problem (same problem each time). Each new problem it starts all over again. In other words the car could be in the shop for a whole year if it had 12 problems.

17. 12-26-2007 07:17 PM #52
      Thanks, I previously consulted the site Jeff recommended, and came away with the same conclusion he did. I don't think I'm in lemon territory for the car, considering the headlight events were somewhat related but fixed each time. Definitely frustrating!

18. 12-26-2007 09:25 PM #53
      Well they have the entire motor and tran torn apart and have diagnosed it as a failed bolt on the oil pump. They have ordered "misc parts" including a new oil pump and timing chain as described by another in the thread.

Well, I definitely empathize. It sounds like you're going through exactly what I went through. The MIL caught mine with a cam position sensor code, and they replaced the entire cam gear train and oil pump (sounds just like what they're doing with yours). You might want to call and tell them to triple-check the oil pump before and after they install it. VW shipped a bad one when they fixed mine. They found it when they started the engine the first time, and it all had to be done again. I want to say I saw someone else on here that had the same thing happen (first replacement oil pump bad).

I have wondered before if I would get a new motor or new parts, when the latter would possibly cause failure further down the road from problems created now.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be okay once they fix it. My story turned out with kind of a mixed bag. When I got the car back, it was idling rough. In about a month, I got a flashing MIL and took it straight in. Diagnosis was low compression on #6. To make a long story short, they never really figured out what was wrong with that motor, but I can't make any connection with the first failure or repair. It really does seem unrelated and that I just got a true dud motor. VWoA kept futzing around having the service department replace parts on it (new valves, 2 new head assemblies). VWoA finally admitted that they weren't going to fix it, and I ended up getting a new long block after all (along with a free extended warranty). The other good news is that since I was so patient and unbelievably reasonable, the service department is now totally on my side. The service manager knows me by first name, and the car is infamous at that shop. At this point, they bend over backwards if I need something.

I was really just probing for information on how to educate myself as a consumer since I've never found myself in this situation before, and there seems to be a few other people on this board who are now experts!

Well, I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert on the lemon laws. My first problem happened about a month and 1000 miles too late, so I had no chance. I will say this, go ahead and call VW's customer service line. Calmly describe to them in detail what you've been through and how you feel about it. If nothing else, it puts you on record if you need to beat on them later. Keep them updated. I VWoA tries to mess with you, your service department can use your customer service complaints along with their own records to help you negotiate an equitable resolution with VWoA. Like I said, I got an extended warranty, and honestly I could have gotten more if I'd pushed. I just wanted it to be done with.

I understand what you mean about venting and considering dumping the car. They had mine for a grand total of over 4 months. By the time they finally got done, I feel like I had quite a bit of leverage. I probably could have made them buy it back, and I considered it. Here's the rub, though... I LOVE THIS CAR. I researched for about 2 years before I bought it, and nothing else I drove put as big of a smile on my face. If I wanted a sedan, there would have been some more choices, but no one else makes a wagon like this, and a wagon is what I wanted. So it was either sell it back and restart my loan with a car that I didn't like, or stick with this one (quirks and all) and love driving it every day.

So, good luck! I hope it all works out.

19. 12-27-2007 01:15 AM #54
      Quote, originally posted by jmcclure »

Here's the rub, though... I LOVE THIS CAR.
      So, good luck! I hope it all works out.

Ditto that, and that's why I'm so torn. Thanks for the thoughtful reply!

Vehicles
      2011 T-Reg TDI- 2010 Jetta Wagen TDI
      01-05-2008 06:04 AM #55
      I have 41k miles and so far no problems at all and I beat this car every time I get a chance...but you never know. I think I was one of the lucky one's getting a really good one.
      2006 Passat 3.6,
      2007 EOS(destroyed by mother nature),
      2008 EOS,
      2009 Touareg 3.6

21. 01-19-2008 11:08 PM #56
      Well my 2006 3.6L 4Mo just took a dump. Was going about 80mph on the freeway and felt a shaking/popping feeling coming out of the engine.

I then see a "AFS Inoperative" and several "Oil Pressure Failure" messages come up on the MFD before I get "Engine Off".

So I coasted over to the side of the road, called Road Service, and it's now at the dealership.

VIN - WVW**93***P139893
      BUILD - 11/05 (I believe - as I said the car is at the dealer)
      Mileage - Just over 31000

22. 03-07-2008 08:06 AM #57
      HI All, I am currently waiting for my 3.6l 07 Passat wago to come home from the dealer. Tomorrow will be week. Engine light came on at 11k miles and there was a noise at low RPMs that i thought sounded like a torque converter whinning. It also felt like it lost 100+ HP... Running like hell... took it to the dealer to learn that the oil pump bolts had loosened and they were going to replace it but had to remove the tranny to do so. 4 days into it, they called to say they were replacing the timing chain because it did show wear from lack of lubrication. however, some parts were backordered and they didnt know when i would be able to get the car back. I complained that if there was wear on the timing chain, there would be wear everywhere. The dealer rep told me he would get VW involved and get back to me. Patiently waiting for a call. I will check on the vin and once i see the service order post later.

23. 03-14-2008 10:52 AM #58
      Here is a detailed update
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...age=3

24. 03-20-2008 02:40 PM #59
      My 2006 Passat 3.6 just had the oil pump bolt failure at 15,000 miles. It happened 1 week after dealer did oil change, driving down the road and went to pass another car and it seemed like I lost overdrive. A minute later the engine light as well as the EPC light came on. No warnings on the display ever came on, no oil light either. Dealer has ordered new oil pump and timing chain, has yet to do any further tests on the engine.

Vehicles
      2011 BMW 335i coupe & 2009 328i sedan
      03-27-2008 07:35 AM #60
      Quote, originally posted by thenew3 »
      Anyone know if this failure problem has been fixed on the 08 production?

Got an order for a 3.6 4motion passat going in soon.

Anyone have an answer on this? I should be getting my 08 shortly!

Vehicles
      2008 Passat 4Mo 3.6L Wagon, 98 VRt, 2010 Routan/Caravan :)
      03-27-2008 12:04 PM #61
      Quote, originally posted by 07SalsaGLI »

Anyone have an answer on this? I should be getting my 08 shortly!

The answer is not 100% proven yet but:
      1) The part # has changed (which is an assumption that the part has - hope that is true).
      2) I haven't heard of this failure in 2008 cars.

I had the same concerns before I bought mine. So far, so good.

Hurry up and get it as next year it's rumored no 3.6L.

27. 04-15-2008 11:54 AM #62
      Hello everyone, i need your help. i own an 07 passat 3.6l and some two weeks now i started the car and the CEL came on, the car suddenly lost most of the engine power, it could not accelerate anylonger as i drove home from work.Two days later, it just refused to start.It was sent to the workshop and all fuel line systems were checked to be ok,engine cranks well, plugs are firing, nozzles are clean, but it just won't start. Anyone understands what could be the problem.I don't live in the U.S.the car was exported out of the US and i need assistance on what could be the problem or where to check. Thanks.

Modified by ozed1 at 9:06 AM 4-15-2008

Vehicles
      Mk1 GTI, Caddy Diesel, Corrado, Mk4 Jetta Wagon, Mk4 GTI, MK4 Jetta, Co-owner: 89 Cabby & 99 Cabrio
      06-28-2008 12:53 PM #63
      Quote, originally posted by nater »

That would be disappointing

No Habla Jibber Jabber
      WTB-Mk1 GTI Midnight Blue Window Cranks X4

29. 07-03-2008 09:51 PM #64
      So I did a Carfax on my-sister-in-laws former car (bought back). Some glaring omissions, no mention of engine replaced, or the other big ticket items replaced. Items listed were "checked" not replaced. Sold at auction listed as fleet vehicle. New owners in another state do not have complete history of car. Isn't this dishonest? I know full well the history of this car, I can post a comment about the car on Carfax, but don't want to jeopardize the new car (in case some warranty issues arise, and they just happen to do a Carfax on old car-paranoid I know..but).

30. 08-19-2008 12:00 PM #65
      Quote, originally posted by nater »

Hopefully is not true.

31. 08-19-2008 05:47 PM #66
      I wonder whats going to replace it?(if it's true)
      the new audi 2.5T??
      hmmmm
      rumored to be 365hp
      SsTuNE.com
      C2motorsports Flash Dealer
      audi4u@optonline.net
      http://www.youtube.com/audi4u
      395whp/325wtrq MKV Rabbit

32. 10-09-2008 02:12 PM #67
      Hey folks....add another 3.6 to the list I have a 2006 Passat 3.6L that I just got back today after being in the shop for 24 DAYS! I was at 18700mi when THE failure occured. For two weeks I noticed the Pst would start and idle rough and people mistook it for a diesel! It was also not accelerating like it used to and shifted hard around 2k rpm. I made an appt for that next week and the day that I was dropping it off, my CEL came on solid. The codes were for the cam shaft sensor. I leave the Pst at the dealer and call every other day for updates. In addition to the engine I also told them of other problems I was having. This was the 3RD time my parktronic has failed and comes on as a constant beep when it has rained/is raining, also little things like chrome pieces being uneven and a/c smell. I dropped my Pst off on 9/15 and got it back today 10/9 I called VWOA and voiced my concern since the engine was not replaced and the customer service at the dealership was lacking to say the least. They only replaced the oil pump, bolt, chains etc. I asked VWOA for something like an extended warrant or something to show they cared about their customers and their concerns. In a nutshell I was told to *appreciate* my vehicle being fixed blah blah blah. Oh wait....I was compensated according to VWOA , apparently the dealer performed a FREE OF CHARGE detail on my Pst Gee thanks, I don't think a detail compensates me for time off work and the feeling that VW doesn't care about their customers post sale. By the way my loaner was a gas sucker aka F150...I put $400 into it while I was using it, and normally about 120-200 per month with the Pst.
      VIN # wvweu73c66p157749
      Production date unknown at this point
      Any help on how to stick it to VW or the dealership is greatly appreciated. I don't qualify for the lemon law, besides, I love my Pst.
      I'm on the verge of getting something nice made on magenetic signs and having some friends along with myself drive around with the signs on our vehicles. They also have VW's and HATE this dealer

Modified by swtgermangrl at 12:32 PM 10-9-2008

Vehicles
      2011 T-Reg TDI- 2010 Jetta Wagen TDI
      10-10-2008 08:51 PM #68
      Sorry to hear about your problems swtgermangrl, I have little over 52k miles so far no problems with the engine, knock on wood we both drive this baby really hard,me and my wife. I had problems with parking sensors, same thing, beeping on wet, dealer replaced all due to a recall.
      I hope all work for you now, good luck.
      2006 Passat 3.6,
      2007 EOS(destroyed by mother nature),
      2008 EOS,
      2009 Touareg 3.6

34. Member
      11-13-2008 11:47 PM #69
      Has anyone figured out if there is a way to know the build dates of the affected cars? I'm looking at an 07 4Motion sedan, and will check the build date tomorrow. I'd rather pass on the car than worry.
      Thanks.
      Dan
      Former VAG: '87 Jetta GLI, '97 Jetta GL, '01 A4 1.8TQ, '08 TT Roadster (the straw that broke the camel's back)
      Current: '01 325Cic, '94 Miata, '10 Miata, '94 Ranger

35. 11-19-2008 03:55 AM #70
      Production date: 01/2006
      Failure: Inspect oil pump drive gear bolt, found it broken
      Vehicle: 2006 Passat 3.6L All-Motion @ just under 17k miles.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast