Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Oil Change on '02 Eurovan

1. 07-16-2002 02:13 PM #1
      Well damn... I just performed the first oil change on my new '02 Eurovan MV. Let me tell you that it was much more annoying than I expected.

First annoyance was the skidplate/armor cover that protects the engine/tranny. What was up with all of the goop they spray down there? Should I just remove the goop? or remove the cover entirely? That goop has the color and consistency of poo-poo.

Second annoyance was the oil filter. I bought a bulk supply of 12v VR6 oil filters for my '97 GTI VR6. I kinda was hoping the 24v VR6 would use the same freakin' filter, but NOOOOOOOOOO it had to use a slightly smaller filter with wierd zig-zag design on the element. So I had to source one from the local dealership for $15!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well... should I remove the bottom cover? What did you guys do?

2. 07-16-2002 08:08 PM #2
      The goop is cosmoline. It's like a mixture of grease and glue. I hate when it gets in my hair! It's a rust inhibitor that prevents the salt water from the ocean crossing from causing rust.

The filter access is easy. Just cut out a hemispherical shape in the pan where the filter is with snips or a zizz wheel. This is endorsed by VW. I don't know what would happen if you left the pan off. I suspect it's probably for noise and airlfow management, but I could be wrong.

Before you cut the hole in the pan, be sure to take it to Jiffy Lube once. It's good for a laugh to watch them wrestle all that crap off, get covered in goo, and then realize they have no idea what to do next...

Yes, I'm cruel.

Az

3. 07-16-2002 08:21 PM #3
      BTW, that pan underneath is decidedly *not* a skidplate or armor. I smacked a rock with mine during some unpaved road adventures and it holed the oil pan very easily. One of the disadvantages of the VR6 motor is that it's very tall!

Az

4. 07-17-2002 06:53 PM #4
      How much oil you had to put?
      Manual says 5.9 q with oill filter change but that was way overfilled for me (twice). Now my dealer uses 5 q and that is just under the full mark on the dipstic. Mystery ????

5. 07-17-2002 06:58 PM #5
      I've learned never to go with what the manual says. I always put 1 quart less than what the manual says, start car to allow the oil to flow into the oil filter, turn car off to let oil settle, then re-check level.

I ended up putting 5 quarts in and found that brought the level to 1/4 quart below full. I just left it at that for now.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      07-20-2002 10:50 PM #6
      My answer for you (and I mean this sarcastically, so don't shoot) - take it to the dealer for the maintenance. It's covered under the warranty (i.e. first couple are free) and it saves you the hassle. Granted you have to leave it there for a day and make your appointment a month in advance.......

Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

Check out my really basic Fiat 500 board and let me know what you think: http://fiatcinquecento.freeforums.net/

Vehicles
      11 Jetta TDI, 09 JSW, 01 Eurovan MV, 91 Jetta Diesel, and a few other in the boneyard
      07-23-2002 09:57 AM #7
      I don't think it is covered for 2002, they changed it. I cleaned the "poo-poo" as you call it, off and it is a much neater job now.

As for oil capacity, mine took almost the full 6 quarts. I change it up on ramps, so it is tilted back. I wonder if that allows for a more complete drain

As for the dealer, my local guys forgot to tighten the drain plug on my first oil change....leaving a huge oil slick in my driveway the next day...this made me real happy I sat there and waited 3 f***in hours for them to perform this miracle of incompetance.

Anyway...have fun with the van.

Tony

8. 07-23-2002 10:14 AM #8
      You are correct, my 2002 does not have free maintenance service for the first 2 years. The warranty has changed for 2002: 4yr/50k bumper-to-bumper, 5yr/60k powertrain, and 4yr/50k roadside.

For your exact reason (Tony), I do all oil changes on my own. I know too many people who have had problems with mechanics not tightening the oil drain plug to it's proper torque spec. My neighbor's daughter nearly lost an engine for the same reason.

I guess I will just remove the goop since it doesn't appear to be necessary anymore.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

9. 07-23-2002 10:27 AM #9
      quote:
      As for oil capacity, mine took almost the full 6 quarts. I change it up on ramps, so it is tilted back. I wonder if that allows for a more complete drain
      Tony

Yeah... mine took almost 6 quarts. I also have a '97 GTI VR6 and recently replaced the oilpan. My normal oil changes take about 5 quarts on the 12v VR6. After I put the new OEM oilpan in, my engine took 6.5 quarts. That is approximately 23% of old oil that usually gets left in the engine!

I'm thinking of pulling the oilpan off every 20k miles or so to do a complete flush.

I also finally switched both cars to BMW Fully Synthetic 5w30. My GTI has been using Mobil-1 15w50 in the winter and 5w30 in the summer. I can't find 5w40 anywhere around here, so I'm just gonna stick with 5w30. BMW's oil is much cheaper compared to the other synths out there.

Vehicles
      11 Jetta TDI, 09 JSW, 01 Eurovan MV, 91 Jetta Diesel, and a few other in the boneyard
      07-24-2002 02:25 PM #10
      I used Gunk and a scrub brush to get the stuff off the belly pan. Make sure you do it somewhere where you don't mind leaving stains on the ground.

Before the "free" service on the van, I had never (in 25 years of driving) paid anyone to do an oil change (well technically, since it is "free" I guess I still haven't). I like getting under there and seeing what is happening. I have spotted CV or steering boots on their way out and replaced before joints were damaged. It just makes me feel better to know what is happening under there.

As for oil, I too changed to synthetic 5-30, I hope it keeps this baby going for a good long time!