Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Results 841 to 875 of 1514

    Thread: Home brewers CHECK IN please!

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      Shepherdsturd, WV
      Posts
      9,134
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      05-10-2011 12:42 AM #841
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      Yeah, we are transferring to a glass carboy for the secondary. I can't remember how many days it was for the IPA. we were careful not to stir up any sediment when transferring or bottling. No irish moss for the IPA or the blueberry wheat, but I have read up on it and will be using it on the next beer we do.

      For cooling we use a home made wort submersion wort chiller. It is the type in this link but with more tubing, http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shopchillers.asp


      The 9 gallon brew pot looks nice and I wish that I had seen that before I went to ebay and paid $50 for a 5 gallon stainless brew pot that isn't nearly as nice. Ideally I'd like to get something with at least a valve on it. I am probably going to do a few more partial mashes before I try my hand at all grain.

      The local home brew place carries Blichmann stuff. It is super nice but I am not sure that I am ready to drop $300 on a 10 gallon brew pot and another $70 for a false bottom. I'd feel better getting a cheaper homebrewstuff.com one and later on I can drop cash on a larger Blichmann one if I ever do batches that need a larger brew pot.
      My friend uses kegs to brew in and for a mash tun. I have one in the back yard I'm going to cut open and modify. Google keggles

    2. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      29,551
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      05-10-2011 03:00 PM #842
      Here is my crappy chiller.



      I was given a large amount of copper tubing, so I decided to have at it. Without ever making one before or even doing any research, I got to work. I wanted an outer coil that sat really close to the outside of the kettle and then an inner coil for even faster cooling. I started first on the outer and then when I was satisfied with the depth I moved on to the inner coil. I got a bit too excited and ended up kinking the tubing a bit. I was using a bender for this small bender and got a bit overzealous.

      I continued on anyways and when I was done, I cut out the kink and spliced it using food grade tubing and hose clamps. Now here is what I want to do: in addition to make it look a bit better I want to remove the tubing section and put some sort of copper joint in.

      Now I can solder really good on circuit boards, etc. but i have never "sweated" a pipe. Is this a bad idea for this appication? Will the joint leach out into my hot brew kettle? I am worried about the solder and flux compounds getting into the beer.

      rule #1 (don't laugh, I did it free hand with a couple buckets)
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

    3. Member magics5rip's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 16th, 2004
      Location
      Palmyra, pa
      Posts
      5,956
      Vehicles
      2006.5 Rabbit 4 door, 2001 Audi A4 1.8t QT
      05-10-2011 03:10 PM #843
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Now I can solder really good on circuit boards, etc. but i have never "sweated" a pipe. Is this a bad idea for this appication? Will the joint leach out into my hot brew kettle? I am worried about the solder and flux compounds getting into the beer.
      You could just use lead-free solder and plumbing flux. That what is used on your water pipes at home. As long the joint sealed, there will be no leak through from the chiller to the beer.

    4. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      29,551
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      05-10-2011 03:39 PM #844
      Quote Originally Posted by magics5rip View Post
      You could just use lead-free solder and plumbing flux. That what is used on your water pipes at home. As long the joint sealed, there will be no leak through from the chiller to the beer.
      Good call, I was just concerned about leaching.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

    5. Member abawp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2005
      Location
      VA Beach
      Posts
      12,299
      Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      05-10-2011 04:11 PM #845
      Another new comer to this thread, just checking in
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

    6. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      29,551
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      05-10-2011 10:09 PM #846
      Quote Originally Posted by abawp View Post
      Another new comer to this thread, just checking in
      I see you found my link.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

    7. Member galil762's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2007
      Location
      Asheville, NC
      Posts
      1,789
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 83 jetta Coupe, 82 Caddy, 87 GLI 16V, Wifes, 92 Cabriolet and 95 Cabrio
      05-10-2011 10:16 PM #847
      My brother made a chiller out of copper, but he also bought one of these. Restaraunts use these to bring the temp down quickly in soups, chilis etc. He said it is working great, just keep it in a freezer until you are ready to use.

      http://www.katom.com/094-RCU128.html

    8. Member abawp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2005
      Location
      VA Beach
      Posts
      12,299
      Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      05-11-2011 12:09 AM #848
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      I see you found my link.
      I did

      Just a quick picture of my strawberry weizenbock I threw together. Little too strong on the strawberry extract and I think I need to age it a little longer. 8.25% ABV isn't too shabby though.

      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

    9. Member Residentevol's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2000
      Location
      RAF Mildenhall, UK
      Posts
      6,369
      Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      05-11-2011 12:45 AM #849
      Quote Originally Posted by galil762 View Post
      My brother made a chiller out of copper, but he also bought one of these. Restaraunts use these to bring the temp down quickly in soups, chilis etc. He said it is working great, just keep it in a freezer until you are ready to use.

      http://www.katom.com/094-RCU128.html


      So I'm guessing with that thing use your normal chiller for about 5 minutes to get that initial boiling hot temp down and then toss that in? How big is that guy because I can't imagine it being all that helpful in 5-10 gallons of liquid. Cool idea though!

    10. Member galil762's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2007
      Location
      Asheville, NC
      Posts
      1,789
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 83 jetta Coupe, 82 Caddy, 87 GLI 16V, Wifes, 92 Cabriolet and 95 Cabrio
      05-11-2011 07:19 AM #850
      Quote Originally Posted by Residentevol View Post
      So I'm guessing with that thing use your normal chiller for about 5 minutes to get that initial boiling hot temp down and then toss that in? How big is that guy because I can't imagine it being all that helpful in 5-10 gallons of liquid. Cool idea though!
      They make these in several sizes, He uses it with his chiller. I have seen them used in stock pots from 10 to 60 qt. They will cool down pasta sauce quickly, which is thick and holds heat longer than a liquid.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      Shepherdsturd, WV
      Posts
      9,134
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      05-11-2011 09:05 AM #851
      I'm a retard. I have one tap with a disconnect on it for two kegs. Twice now I've removed the CO2 disconnect from one keg and moved it to the other thinking it was the tap without paying any attention to it. Even after purging all the CO2 from the keg, do you know how hard it is to get that MF'er off of the out line?

      They're even different colors. I shouldn't be having this problem.

    12. Member Residentevol's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 19th, 2000
      Location
      RAF Mildenhall, UK
      Posts
      6,369
      Vehicles
      2009 UG GTI on bagzzz
      05-11-2011 09:20 AM #852
      haha I know what your saying man those things are a PAIN in the ass to get back off...I read something that said to try and force carb through the out post since the dip tube goes all the way to the bottom...Never doing that again I thought it was stuck forever

    13. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      29,551
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      05-11-2011 11:05 AM #853
      Quote Originally Posted by abawp View Post
      I did

      Just a quick picture of my strawberry weizenbock I threw together. Little too strong on the strawberry extract and I think I need to age it a little longer. 8.25% ABV isn't too shabby though.

      Welcome, that looks delish.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

    14. Member Green Hare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 20th, 2003
      Posts
      7,326
      Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      05-15-2011 09:24 AM #854
      Quote Originally Posted by abawp View Post
      I did

      Just a quick picture of my strawberry weizenbock I threw together. Little too strong on the strawberry extract and I think I need to age it a little longer. 8.25% ABV isn't too shabby though.

      [IMG]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k207/derickg123/P5100010-1.jpg[IMG]
      Nice... was this your recipe or a kit? My raspberry wheat just moved into secondary, I'm using the NB kit and only running around 4.5% ABV. I'd love for it to be closer to twice that. I did add 3 pounds of raspberries (well, the sanitized juice from) when moving it, hoping these sugars will help make some happy yeast and more alcohol as well. I have the bottle of extract, but I'm planning on only using that to augment the flavor when its bottled, probably next weekend.
      =====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2006½ United Gray GTI
      =====

    15. Member abawp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2005
      Location
      VA Beach
      Posts
      12,299
      Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      05-17-2011 11:03 AM #855
      Quote Originally Posted by Green Hare View Post
      Nice... was this your recipe or a kit?
      My recipe more or less. I went online to see what was in a weizenbock and wanted to see for myself what would happen if I used double the ingredients in a regular 2.5 gallon batch. It was more of a, "hey, lets throw these ingredients together and see what's what" sort of thing.

      Next go around I might try fresh fruit instead of the extract stuff. It didn't help that I put in too much of the extract, regardless the flavors are simply too strong here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

    16. Member Green Hare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 20th, 2003
      Posts
      7,326
      Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      05-18-2011 12:10 AM #856
      Quote Originally Posted by abawp View Post
      My recipe more or less. I went online to see what was in a weizenbock and wanted to see for myself what would happen if I used double the ingredients in a regular 2.5 gallon batch. It was more of a, "hey, lets throw these ingredients together and see what's what" sort of thing.

      Next go around I might try fresh fruit instead of the extract stuff. It didn't help that I put in too much of the extract, regardless the flavors are simply too strong here.
      Nice... I'm hoping to have a bit of fun with doing just this. I've got two kits from NB working right now, the first is their raspberry wheat that's in secondary now. While the recipe only uses extract for the fruit flavor when bottling, I added 3 pounds of berries to the secondary. It's got a nice tint to it now, looking forward to a taste when bottling this weekend, although it's only sitting around 4.6% ABV right now. The second kit is their Dawson's multi-grain red ale, I changed up the hops addition a bit and also added some honey to the boil. This one is making me a bit more nervous, it already had a nice thick head on top of it in primary but that has fallen barely 48 hours after the boil. I'm thinking I might have to pitch again, we shall see.
      =====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2006½ United Gray GTI
      =====

    17. Member abawp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2005
      Location
      VA Beach
      Posts
      12,299
      Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      05-18-2011 12:28 AM #857
      Quote Originally Posted by Green Hare View Post
      Nice... I'm hoping to have a bit of fun with doing just this. I've got two kits from NB working right now, the first is their raspberry wheat that's in secondary now. While the recipe only uses extract for the fruit flavor when bottling, I added 3 pounds of berries to the secondary. It's got a nice tint to it now, looking forward to a taste when bottling this weekend, although it's only sitting around 4.6% ABV right now.
      That was one of the main reasons I added the strawberry extract to the secondary. I got a lot of color and flavor from it, although I think my secondary now permanently smells of strawberry extract.

      Has anyone tried honey? I'm on my second batch of "Honey Gamber Ale" except I shifted the honey to the last 15 minutes instead of the start of the boil on this last batch. I also doubled the Willamette hops (2oz/2.5 gallons) to try to balance out the sweetness, I'm excited to give this one a go once I let it finish.

      On a side note, I've noticed I haven't let the beer age as much as I should have. The first batch of, "Honey Gamber Ale" wasn't as carbonated as it could have been but letting one bottle sit for over a month fixed that. It's so difficult to not try the fruits of your labor sometimes.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

    18. Member Green Hare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 20th, 2003
      Posts
      7,326
      Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      05-18-2011 07:33 AM #858
      Quote Originally Posted by abawp View Post
      That was one of the main reasons I added the strawberry extract to the secondary. I got a lot of color and flavor from it, although I think my secondary now permanently smells of strawberry extract.

      Has anyone tried honey? I'm on my second batch of "Honey Gamber Ale" except I shifted the honey to the last 15 minutes instead of the start of the boil on this last batch. I also doubled the Willamette hops (2oz/2.5 gallons) to try to balance out the sweetness, I'm excited to give this one a go once I let it finish.

      On a side note, I've noticed I haven't let the beer age as much as I should have. The first batch of, "Honey Gamber Ale" wasn't as carbonated as it could have been but letting one bottle sit for over a month fixed that. It's so difficult to not try the fruits of your labor sometimes.
      Hopefully my secondary doesn't do the same, but if it does I'll just have to reserve it for fruit beers and pick up another carboy. I did add 1/8 cup of clover honey early in the boil of my red ale that's in primary now. As for aging, I agree it's challenging. I have a full case of my nut brown that I'm going to put in "cold storage" (our basement, sits right around 55°F) until H2Oi... hopefully...
      =====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2006½ United Gray GTI
      =====

    19. 05-29-2011 06:55 AM #859
      Enjoyed my Beire de Garde last night.

      Bottled a pale ale and blonde yesterday as well, the pale has been dry hopping on citra for two weeks, and tastes amazing!
      Wiskey-oak porter gets bottled tomorrow, and will aged a bit.

    20. Member unimogken's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      South of Jazzydub, WA
      Posts
      5,385
      Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      05-30-2011 03:51 AM #860
      Quote Originally Posted by abawp View Post
      Another new comer to this thread, just checking in
      Awesome another local brewer!
      You need to come to our next PNW VW guys brew day GTG's!

      We're all set up for doing 10 gallon all grain batches so its a bunch of fun!

      Yesterday I had a big birthday BBQ and I think I converted a bunch of guests to future home brewers with my 6 tap kegerator in my garage! We had many people inebriated yesterday on home brew!
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

      Someone buy my car already!!

      Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

    21. Member abawp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2005
      Location
      VA Beach
      Posts
      12,299
      Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      05-30-2011 12:38 PM #861
      Quote Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
      Awesome another local brewer!
      You need to come to our next PNW VW guys brew day GTG's!
      Is there a thread? If you all don't mind a mad-tyte JDM yo Subaru driver hanging out I'd be down.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

    22. Member Green Hare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 20th, 2003
      Posts
      7,326
      Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      05-30-2011 08:50 PM #862
      So I'm brewing up an IPA for a close friend, started with a clone recipe but changed the hops up a little bit, I was rather impressed to see this activity this morning (and even more now)...

      http://youtu.be/Z4-yGp6yiR8

      The one on the left is a multi-grain red ale in secondary, and the cases behind have my raspberry wheat bottle conditioning now.
      =====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2006½ United Gray GTI
      =====

    23. Member Kameirocco's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2002
      Location
      Portland, Oregon
      Posts
      8,816
      Vehicles
      2005 Dodge stratus SXT Coupe
      05-31-2011 12:14 PM #863
      had a dual brew weekend to restock up on beer.

      brought my stuff over to my buddies house to brew in his garage.
      it was his first brew day, so we did an extract batch on his stove while i was all graining it in the garage. was fun!


      put my GFs daughter to work the next day haha
      "Play a Windows CD backwards and hear scary messages. Thats nothing, play it forwards and it installs Windows"
      Homebrewers of the 'tex. Join us! Home brewers CHECK IN please!

    24. Member deadguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 13th, 2001
      Posts
      19,081
      Vehicles
      originR
      05-31-2011 12:29 PM #864
      So let me throw this out there to see what bounces back. I had an idea to open a small brewpub with a friend of mine and see where it goes.. my plan was to call it the ReplicAle Pub, serving clones of our favorite brews and also have customer request brews.. We would also be serving the best damn pub grub you can think of, no crappy burgers or wings, but gourmet quality burgers, wings, toasted mushrooms, etc.. keep the menu small but quality..

      Anybody have anything they'd like to share with me on this idea? I wonder what the legalities of serving cloned (or attempted clone) beer would be, if any?

      We were going to give it a go for 12 months and if it doesn't work out we will just keep our day jobs...

    25. Member abawp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2005
      Location
      VA Beach
      Posts
      12,299
      Vehicles
      2002 Subaru Outback, 2003 Miata, 2006 EX500R, 2011 ZX-6R
      06-04-2011 10:38 PM #865
      Boiling some wort.

      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      What, none of you watch reruns on TV?
      Quote Originally Posted by NPH View Post
      I don't know about you but, I get angry and shout "IB4TL" when one comes on.

    26. Member galil762's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2007
      Location
      Asheville, NC
      Posts
      1,789
      Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S, 83 jetta Coupe, 82 Caddy, 87 GLI 16V, Wifes, 92 Cabriolet and 95 Cabrio
      06-05-2011 07:21 AM #866
      Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
      So let me throw this out there to see what bounces back. I had an idea to open a small brewpub with a friend of mine and see where it goes.. my plan was to call it the ReplicAle Pub, serving clones of our favorite brews and also have customer request brews.. We would also be serving the best damn pub grub you can think of, no crappy burgers or wings, but gourmet quality burgers, wings, toasted mushrooms, etc.. keep the menu small but quality..

      Anybody have anything they'd like to share with me on this idea? I wonder what the legalities of serving cloned (or attempted clone) beer would be, if any?

      We were going to give it a go for 12 months and if it doesn't work out we will just keep our day jobs...

      Have you looked at the cost? The initial investment alone would be huge. Just the proper equipment for the food is very expensive. I sale and install commercial foodservice equipment. Maybe you could find a space already set up with a kitchen to rent or buy. But if you could not, just buying and installing the hood system (lets say 10 ft.) would run around 15K. That does not include any of the other equipment you would need. Also the brew equipment would have to be commercial to pass codes. And that would cost as much or more than equiping the kitchen. I built a small restaurant for a friend 2 years ago, and he already owned the building. He spent 98k with me.

    27. Member kenny301's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 30th, 2001
      Location
      DMV
      Posts
      3,740
      Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      06-05-2011 07:46 AM #867
      Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
      So let me throw this out there to see what bounces back. I had an idea to open a small brewpub with a friend of mine and see where it goes.. my plan was to call it the ReplicAle Pub, serving clones of our favorite brews and also have customer request brews.. We would also be serving the best damn pub grub you can think of, no crappy burgers or wings, but gourmet quality burgers, wings, toasted mushrooms, etc.. keep the menu small but quality..

      Anybody have anything they'd like to share with me on this idea? I wonder what the legalities of serving cloned (or attempted clone) beer would be, if any?

      We were going to give it a go for 12 months and if it doesn't work out we will just keep our day jobs...

      Read Brewing Up a Business by Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head. Two friends and I have been tossing around the same idea, minus the clone brews, for awhile and the book is VERY insightful on all topics of starting and running a brew pub and brewery. His views and experiences apply to pretty much any business. It doesn't discuss the actual act of brewing beer, save for an explanation of how they come up with their beers and various innovations they have come up with for brewing. I only have about ten pages left to read and when I am done I plan to start from the beginning again and read it a second time.

    28. Member kenny301's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 30th, 2001
      Location
      DMV
      Posts
      3,740
      Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      06-08-2011 02:08 PM #868
      Well, the blueberry wheat beer we were brewing had an accident. The airlock blew off of the primary while we were at work and sprayed blueberry beer all over the place. Two flies got into it through the open hole so it all had to go down the drain, which was a real shame.

      However, I built a MLT out of a 10g Igloo cooler yesterday. It is set up with a stainless screen on the bottom for batch sparging but later on I may get a false bottom for fly sparging. Hopefully we will be ready to go all grain in two weeks

    29. Member Green Hare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 20th, 2003
      Posts
      7,326
      Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      06-08-2011 09:43 PM #869
      How much fruit were you using? I did 3 pounds in my raspberry wheat, added to secondary, without an issue... next up is going to be "Triple-B" as in blackberry, blueberry & blonde. I'm still trying to figure out how much I am going to add.
      =====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2006½ United Gray GTI
      =====

    30. Member kenny301's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 30th, 2001
      Location
      DMV
      Posts
      3,740
      Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      06-09-2011 07:51 AM #870
      Quote Originally Posted by Green Hare View Post
      How much fruit were you using? I did 3 pounds in my raspberry wheat, added to secondary, without an issue... next up is going to be "Triple-B" as in blackberry, blueberry & blonde. I'm still trying to figure out how much I am going to add.
      It was 3lbs of blueberry puree added to the primary after, IIRC, about 10 days of fermentation once it slowed down a bit per the instructions in the partial mash kit. The brewing stuff is at my buddies house and he did it without me there. It also came with a blueberry extract to use before bottling.

      I think that for our first all grain we may do a cream ale to keep it nice and simple (and also to appeal to the miller/bud/coors people we know). Does anybody have a good recipe?

    31. Member deadguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 13th, 2001
      Posts
      19,081
      Vehicles
      originR
      06-09-2011 08:47 AM #871
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      Read Brewing Up a Business by Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head. Two friends and I have been tossing around the same idea, minus the clone brews, for awhile and the book is VERY insightful on all topics of starting and running a brew pub and brewery. His views and experiences apply to pretty much any business. It doesn't discuss the actual act of brewing beer, save for an explanation of how they come up with their beers and various innovations they have come up with for brewing. I only have about ten pages left to read and when I am done I plan to start from the beginning again and read it a second time.


      ordered, along with
      Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles
      and
      The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs

    32. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      29,551
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      06-09-2011 11:13 AM #872
      Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
      The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs
      Interesting, I have a Cascade planted in the back right now. It seems to have taken root and is climbing the trellis well.

      If this one plant goes well (have had issues in the last two years although, somebody else was supposed to take care of them for me).

      I'll be using hops as my corsage in my wedding in Sept.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

    33. 06-09-2011 11:37 AM #873
      The corsage idea is awesome.

      I've got four varieties going first year right now.
      My Nugget and Chinook took off, and are both about four feet at the moment.
      My Centennial is struggling, and my Goldings is slowly climbing now, about two feet.

      Brewed a witbeir Sunday evening, using Wyeasts "Forbidden Fruit" strain, and my entire basement smells like rotting garbage. It says right on the smack pack that it will produce some "off odors", but holy crap! I hope it subsides before my 14 day gravity reading, otherwise I might pass on the tasting.

      Replicating the witbeir recipe this weekend, but utilizing a different yeast strain, and spice additions.

    34. Member kenny301's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 30th, 2001
      Location
      DMV
      Posts
      3,740
      Vehicles
      04 Toyota Tacoma/98 Subaru Legacy
      06-09-2011 04:45 PM #874
      Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
      The Homebrewer's Garden: How to Easily Grow, Prepare, and Use Your Own Hops, Malts, Brewing Herbs

      That is next on my list after I finish reading The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charles Papazian

      I also just finished Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide and I have Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home by Sam Calagione waiting to be read after those.

    35. Member Green Hare's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 20th, 2003
      Posts
      7,326
      Vehicles
      7th VW... 8 others...
      06-09-2011 08:12 PM #875
      Quote Originally Posted by kenny301 View Post
      It was 3lbs of blueberry puree added to the primary after, IIRC, about 10 days of fermentation once it slowed down a bit per the instructions in the partial mash kit. The brewing stuff is at my buddies house and he did it without me there. It also came with a blueberry extract to use before bottling.

      I think that for our first all grain we may do a cream ale to keep it nice and simple (and also to appeal to the miller/bud/coors people we know). Does anybody have a good recipe?
      Thanks, when I do my next fruit beer I'm going to add the berries into secondary. Hopefully this helps reduce the risk of a blowout. I did the raspberry using 3 pounds of frozen fruit, then i ran it through a sieve to remove as much pulp and seeds as I could. For the next one, I'm probably going to do the same, although I may let it sit in secondary on the mashed fruit instead, as 3 pounds of raspberries only brought a hint of flavor and color.
      =====
      ===== Mine: 2010 Black Golf TDI
      =====
      ===== His: 2006½ United Gray GTI
      =====

    Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •